*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kiingallen said:

And before I read and saw that picture. I was thinking “how on earth is his graphics so good compared to my game”… now I’m wondering how we’ve gone backwards in time… smh

After FM17 the graphics were outsourced to a company i believe called Creative Assembly , who did the Total War series . That in itself is unbelievable considering what graphics that game has ? . But im thinking the way the graphics are set up here is probably due to them trying to use less processing or memory. 

Maybe a moderator can correct me on this 

8 hours ago, Lempicka said:

The constant long balls/static defenders are starting to take its toll on my FM23 save, so I've decided to take a bit of a break tonight and travel back in time to FM13.

What a difference a decade makes! I know FM13 had its faults, but compared with FM23, it feels like a less bloated, more straightforward affair. A manager game where you can build your team and play without press conference overkill and the constant whinge of fringe players demanding more game time.

I'm not ready to give up on FM23 just yet, but next year, I do wish SI would take a step back and remember what made the series fun. Ditch some of the bloat, address the longstanding issues and improve the matchday experience. There's a great game in there somewhere!

I'll leave you with this screengrab from FM13. That pitch, the lighting, the stadium. This is what we had 10 years ago.

image.thumb.png.55884707416eac7d2e52824795d0d9f6.png

Not just that my friend, in 1998 ultimate soccer manager had better in crowd chants and commentary that makes the generic noise you hear on fm23 sound babaric

11 hours ago, Lempicka said:

The constant long balls/static defenders are starting to take its toll on my FM23 save, so I've decided to take a bit of a break tonight and travel back in time to FM13.

What a difference a decade makes! I know FM13 had its faults, but compared with FM23, it feels like a less bloated, more straightforward affair. A manager game where you can build your team and play without press conference overkill and the constant whinge of fringe players demanding more game time.

I'm not ready to give up on FM23 just yet, but next year, I do wish SI would take a step back and remember what made the series fun. Ditch some of the bloat, address the longstanding issues and improve the matchday experience. There's a great game in there somewhere!

I'll leave you with this screengrab from FM13. That pitch, the lighting, the stadium. This is what we had 10 years ago.

Excatly this! I miss the days when the game was mostly about squadbuilding and tactics.. and it looked better for Some reason.. I hope they dial it back but I doubt it.

Regarding bugfixes for the game I feel SI could do a bit more, some of the bugs in the game are not big ones but very annoying and would be easy to fix, so why not release an update to fix the smaller things more often(should have been fixed before the full release to be honest). I didn't see any changes from the beta to full release regarding UI, competition rules etc. even tough the forums where full of bugs this gives a feeling of still playing the beta even after the full release.

Blimey! Due to my reluctance to back down and play a fringe player - I may have 'lost the dressing room'

I should point out that I'm 13 points clear at the top of the Scottish league 2 and in the semi finals of the Challenge Cup!

This feature's a bit of a lottery IMHO.

image.png.bbffa351dc9cdc681cb157c368e59e6e.png

1 hour ago, KeegBCFC said:

It is at a point where I am getting genuinely annoyed with the goals my own team are scoring due to this issue.

14 seconds in, we all know what happens here

image.thumb.png.be4f06c84112790f1462a5515804651d.png

That's right, the centre back has missed the ball and my striker runs through

I would rather ask, what is that leftback doing? Why is he not comming inside to cover for CB who is stepping up? These are absolute football basics that are not in the game like never. There is zero team defending in this game. Just 11 players runnig around individually.

1 hour ago, TheArsenal63 said:

The regression in lighting is criminal. That actually looks like sun light in the afternoon, current FM 23 looks like one uniform flat light where everything looks the same.

How does your lighting regress so much in 10 years and people are ok with it. If this was any other genre of game, their fan bases would be livid. But FM just trucking along, maybe that's why, maybe not enough people have complained or care about the 3D, it would explain alot.

I think a lot is down to the fact that for many players it's about progressing quickly through seasons, so they are playing on key highlights* and only a proportion of them notice the fact that there are only three light/shadow combinations for every game and that every stadium orientation in the world is exactly the same.  If you play on comprehensive, you spend much more time in the match visualiser so you really notice the lack of lighting variation** - and the fact that it wasn't the case in the past.

I think there's also the thing of if you repeat something enough times it becomes the received wisdom and de facto 'truth' - in FMs case that the players don't care about graphics - which is disingenuous in the extreme.  They care about other aspects of the game more (a good ME leads to forgiveness of so many other shortcomings), but as feedback this year has shown more that ever before, people are getting a bit fed up of sub-par graphics.

* and, of course, there's also the Cult of Dots who wouldn't notice either.
** and all the other graphical shortcomings

Edited by rp1966

A really positive step in terms of immersion was the decision to allow these cut scenes even if watching Extended rather than Comprehensive.

But would it also be an idea to add a pause option? So you can soak it in, and actually look at the team, formation, bench and manager etc with more than 5 seconds?

image.thumb.png.4648981ac859afe27945ea5d6869ee18.png

35 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

I think there's also the thing of if you repeat something enough times it becomes the received wisdom and de facto 'truth' - in FMs case that the players don't care about graphics - which is disingenuous in the extreme. 

Wait what? When did SI say this? Do you have a source for that?  It's a complete 180 from what I've always heard them say in public

Miles Jacobson to fourfourtwo:

"In an ideal world, I would like to not be able to tell the difference between a game of football on TV, and a game of football within Football Manager. I would like it to be playing on a holographic on a table in front of you. I would like some kind of deep AI learning, rather than just having multiple-choice answers for press conferences, so you could say whatever you wanted to and the journalist would be able to react."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/miles-jacobson-how-we-make-football-manager-future-and-where-you-come-it

18 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

Wait what? When did SI say this? Do you have a source for that?  It's a complete 180 from what I've always heard them say in public

"In an ideal world, I would like to not be able to tell the difference between a game of football on TV, and a game of football within Football Manager. I would like it to be playing on a holographic on a table in front of you. I would like some kind of deep AI learning, rather than just having multiple-choice answers for press conferences, so you could say whatever you wanted to and the journalist would be able to react."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/miles-jacobson-how-we-make-football-manager-future-and-where-you-come-it

Nobody was talking about SI saying anything

1 hour ago, zindrinho said:

I know he said FM, but FM doesn't make FM, SI does.

I was talking about the de facto truth said about FM by many on this forum whenever the subject of improved match graphics is raised.  I'm not one of those people who uses FM in place of SI. Also that quote you used was from 2016 - we've had the 2018 graphical regression since then so I'd take that quote with a very big pinch of salt.

As to what Miles says - it's all marketing.  I'll look at what SI do rather than what Miles says.

Anyway - need to get back to Croatia v Canada - see if Canada can get back into the game. (EDIT:  They didn't)

Edited by rp1966

spacer.png

Another day, and another instance of "it's your tactics m8, because I don't see any issues in my game".

It's not just an issue with defenders, but my striker and midfielders all just bomb forward. It's almost as if they have 0 awareness of where the ball is. Maybe it's the wind that's pushing the ball back.

27 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

I was talking about the de facto truth said about FM by many on this forum whenever the subject of improved match graphics is raised.  I'm not one of those people who uses FM in place of SI. Also that quote you used was from 2016 - we've had the 2018 graphical regression since then so I'd take that quote with a very big pinch of salt.

Ah, good to hear, I must have misunderstood you then, I thought you meant SI kept telling themselves that we the players dont care about graphics, which is the opposite of what I've heard from them over the years. I havent heard any different since 2018 either, that they now dont care about graphics, which is why I asked if you had seen any comments or had a source.

5 hours ago, Lempicka said:

Blimey! Due to my reluctance to back down and play a fringe player - I may have 'lost the dressing room'

I should point out that I'm 13 points clear at the top of the Scottish league 2 and in the semi finals of the Challenge Cup!

This feature's a bit of a lottery IMHO.

image.png.bbffa351dc9cdc681cb157c368e59e6e.png

Out of interest, what's his level of influence in the Dynamics screen?

It seems to me from my own game and from comments in various places that there is still an issue with youth development. The main symptoms seem to be older players never getting replaced, and teams struggling to meet their home grown registration requirements. Before I go off trying to prove there is still an issues, has SI confirmed this is still a problem, or is there a bug report already? I looked through the bug tracker for about 10 minutes but it's really sprawling and I'm worried I might have missed an existing topic.

24 minutes ago, dannyfc said:

Out of interest, what's his level of influence in the Dynamics screen?

He's in the core group, but part of the 'other players' section in the team hierarchy. Playing time was set as fringe player, he wanted to leave - but I needed him as back up.

1 hour ago, drhay53 said:

It seems to me from my own game and from comments in various places that there is still an issue with youth development. The main symptoms seem to be older players never getting replaced, and teams struggling to meet their home grown registration requirements. Before I go off trying to prove there is still an issues, has SI confirmed this is still a problem, or is there a bug report already? I looked through the bug tracker for about 10 minutes but it's really sprawling and I'm worried I might have missed an existing topic.

As i previously said... I don't personally think it's as bad as some have pointed out. Here are Bayern and Dortmund's squads in 2028-2029 season so... around 6years advance in-game. I posted Man Utd 1 or 2 pages ago...

Draw your own conclusion... but IMO the squads don't look that old.

image.thumb.png.5273878b3ee867430cfce9b59723ad9e.pngimage.thumb.png.c45ba4af5a56e0a0d48a93c8202243a0.png

More Feed Back

In lower league management

In my 9th season with Kettering Town FC and  I am now in the Championship from Varanama National League North. 

I have noticed a few things that I feel needs tweaking/fixing in the upcoming patch.

1. Players exploring options at the end of contracts , unlike previous versions of FM this seems to occur more often , regardless of your club’s current form or standing in the league table.

Star players/Role players will end up leaving at the end of their contract even after promotion , to either end up as a free agent with absolutely 0 interest from other clubs , or they end up signing for clubs in the league you just got promoted from.

It does not make sense and I doubt lower league players in real life can afford the luxury of being job less compared to top league players. 

2. Requests From Board - For the first time ever in any Football Manager versions,  I have not been able to get a senior club affiliate approved by the board.

I have gone from Varanama National League North to the Championship without a senior club/affiliate. 

I have won league titles and promotions but those don’t seem to count ? Why won’t they approve it ? It is something vital to a growth of a football club both for the loan players and the additional financial income. 

I have been rejected getting a senior affiliate in previous FM versions but this is the first time I have gone all the way to the championship without being approved to find one. 

3. Loan players , I noticed when I was in league 2 , top teams like arsenal , fulham and some championship teams keep asking for outrageous wages. In previous FM you were able to loan players for free most of the time providing thet were youth players that needed game time.  Why is the transfer system like this now ? 

On 26/11/2022 at 07:52, fc.cadoni said:

It can be done via Pre-Game Editor.

Here an example about Youth Award with at least World Reputation gaining 100. One it's from France and the second is from Israel. Hard to imagine that a Youth Award from Israel having bigger affect from any other Top-5 in EU (exc. France).

1.thumb.png.773fe288f3912a53f426322622fc18a5.png

The tweaks in World Rep. of Youth Awards will help.

I did all of this in FM22. Altered the reps of all the youth awards and even youth leagues and cups. Didn't really impact the way the AI managers handled youngsters. It might increase reputation a little bit but not enough for the AI to give younger players a chance. Still way to simple the way the AI seems to pick their teams. I don't know this for sure but it looks like the AI picks their best 11 when available, with just a few apparent nuances to this - formation (and a player's fit to it) and fitness seem to be by far the most important. This results in managers not trying youth and thus their ability and reputation never developing as they could.

45 minutes ago, jlboybeamer said:

Loan players , I noticed when I was in league 2 , top teams like arsenal , fulham and some championship teams keep asking for outrageous wages. In previous FM you were able to loan players for free most of the time providing thet were youth players that needed game time.  Why is the transfer system like this now ? 

That was just as bad last year and the year before, when I looked into this year I didn't think it was as bad, but yeah, it's been around a while

2 hours ago, jlboybeamer said:

3. Loan players , I noticed when I was in league 2 , top teams like arsenal , fulham and some championship teams keep asking for outrageous wages. In previous FM you were able to loan players for free most of the time providing thet were youth players that needed game time.  Why is the transfer system like this now ? 

I submitted a bug report with about ~35 examples of loans that didn't pass the Blink test across a couple of saves I am doing, and SI said "Our QA team are looking into this and we are aware of some issues with loans which we are looking to improve upon".  So, hopefully a fix/improvement next patch.

9 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

I had to answer 20 questions in a lower league press conference. Needed a break halfway through!

image.png.6a2a796564a96b83c44be00b35ee38d2.png

It's the 1 reporters chance to make a name for himself.  That or the other reporters are just DM'ing him questions to ask you.

22 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

I had to answer 20 questions in a lower league press conference. Needed a break halfway through!

image.png.6a2a796564a96b83c44be00b35ee38d2.png

The middle option of answering is always come with "cagey" outcome. One notch left in option from middle is always safe. :D

Edited by fc.cadoni

6 hours ago, drhay53 said:

It has been acknowledged as an issue, but from research from Davidincid and others on the form is now isolated to the top five leagues. He has created a custom database which resolves the problem.

2 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

The middle option of answering is always come with "cagey" outcome. One notch left in option from middle is always safe. :D

If SI ever wanted to screw with 99% of the FM managers out there it would randomize where the responses were placed....

7 hours ago, drhay53 said:

Known issue. It was reported as a bug in 22. And there are 2 bug reports in the bug tracker about it in 23. 

This first bug report is a good breakdown of the issue. 

As far as I am aware there have been no patches yet so we don;t know if they have issued a fix. Or if they will address the issue at all in 23. 

On 27/11/2022 at 03:15, prot651 said:

After FM17 the graphics were outsourced to a company i believe called Creative Assembly , who did the Total War series . That in itself is unbelievable considering what graphics that game has ? . But im thinking the way the graphics are set up here is probably due to them trying to use less processing or memory. 

Maybe a moderator can correct me on this 

Those developers are surely talented, but they maybe never had to make a football game so they simply don't see how ugly the game is. And that is not a problem, maybe eventually they would change lightning and other aspects if asked from them, the problem is a lack of information from SI for us!

They always avoid to write anything on this topic, people spend time to upload screenshots, people spend time to show them what they want, people are literally helping them and they are doing nothing in last 5 years to improve it, or at least to tell us why the situation with the graphics is so bad.

Despite FM being my favorite game series, I've resigned myself to not buy it within 3 months of release due to bugs and balancing issues. Given the huge time/effort investment required to get into a save, it just isn't worth it to jump in early, IMHO. Curious if there's anyone else in my boat?

I'd certainly prefer to buy the shiny new thing on release, but this hasn't been a good move for two years in a row now (buggy IW/IF behavior last year, buggy defending this year). I bought my first FM (21) after the winter update - what a great experience! FM quickly became my main leisure-time passion.

Buying FM22 on release was something I massively regretted, though. And by the looks of it I'd have regretted buying FM23 on release this year, as well.

This isn't meant as an SI takedown, I really appreciate the scale of the challenge they face in releasing this hugely complex software with new features every year. But it's clear that players would benefit from an altered software development lifecycle. Further, if there are significant numbers of consumers like me, who hold off on purchase until the release is stable (or perhaps skip a year or two), then there's a compelling business case for changing things up, too.

Regarding this year's specific issues with poor defending from capable-on-paper defenders, automated testing should be sufficient to catch this kind of thing. A computer can simulate thousands of matches in a relatively short amount of time, and it shouldn't be difficult to write tests which aggregate stats and data from those matches and compare them against real-world target data (e.g. # of goals from long balls).[1]

[1] Or if real-world targets are not possible/desirable due to expected differences between the game simulation and real-world soccer, then I'm sure the dev team can come up with adjusted target data.

Edited by mannyhams
Added footnote [1]

36 minutes ago, mannyhams said:

capable-on-paper defenders

Paper doesn't take into account a Rng number being generated and the resulting decision making tree that happens with all 22 players on the pitch as a result of that result, does it?

Then again, on paper, Harry Maguire is a capable defender, isn't he?

2 hours ago, mannyhams said:

Despite FM being my favorite game series, I've resigned myself to not buy it within 3 months of release due to bugs and balancing issues. Given the huge time/effort investment required to get into a save, it just isn't worth it to jump in early, IMHO. Curious if there's anyone else in my boat?

I'd certainly prefer to buy the shiny new thing on release, but this hasn't been a good move for two years in a row now (buggy IW/IF behavior last year, buggy defending this year). I bought my first FM (21) after the winter update - what a great experience! FM quickly became my main leisure-time passion.

Buying FM22 on release was something I massively regretted, though. And by the looks of it I'd have regretted buying FM23 on release this year, as well.

This isn't meant as an SI takedown, I really appreciate the scale of the challenge they face in releasing this hugely complex software with new features every year. But it's clear that players would benefit from an altered software development lifecycle. Further, if there are significant numbers of consumers like me, who hold off on purchase until the release is stable (or perhaps skip a year or two), then there's a compelling business case for changing things up, too.

Regarding this year's specific issues with poor defending from capable-on-paper defenders, automated testing should be sufficient to catch this kind of thing. A computer can simulate thousands of matches in a relatively short amount of time, and it shouldn't be difficult to write tests which aggregate stats and data from those matches and compare them against real-world target data (e.g. # of goals from long balls).[1]

[1] Or if real-world targets are not possible/desirable due to expected differences between the game simulation and real-world soccer, then I'm sure the dev team can come up with adjusted target data.

A game it suposed to be fun, unfinished is no fun.

I buy the game when finished.

Why use many words, when few do trick.

2 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

Paper doesn't take into account a Rng number being generated and the resulting decision making tree that happens with all 22 players on the pitch as a result of that result, does it?

Then again, on paper, Harry Maguire is a capable defender, isn't he?

Maguire has arguably been England’s best player so far this World Cup. Just saying.

I have an offer for one of my less talented young players that i'm willing to sell. The offer being 0 monthly fee (180€ if unused), 60% wage (70% on unused, btw this guy is currently on a 32k per year wage, the fact that the AI refuse to pay 100% of the wage even if they are pennies it's ridicolous but that's not even the worst part...), the usual loan options and then they offer 50% on next profit and an optional future fee of 59k.

I want to sell the guy so i'm fine with it, but since i have a bit of OCD i want to make it round and propose 60k. The other team immediatly withdraw the offer.

I mean seriously SI? That's the best you can do in terms of AI quality for transfers? When it will be the time we'll see AI building decently balanced squads (instead of hoarding players in one position and leaving others uncovered) and a decent negotiating?

Edit: lmao an issue that has plagued FM for literal years has been relegated to the "feedback" thread that no one will read, so next year AI will be braindead like usual. Great work mods...

Edited by DMaster2

19 ore fa, zindrinho ha scritto:

Between the ideal world of Miles and the ****** graphics we have IRL there is a huge middle ground...

On 27/11/2022 at 01:15, Lempicka said:

What you're describing is FM Touch and Console. The match engine is the same, but there are no press conferences, no fringe players asking more game time.

8 minutes ago, CleverLime said:

What you're describing is FM Touch and Console. The match engine is the same, but there are no press conferences, no fringe players asking more game time.

No. What I'm describing is Full fat FM13 and FM14. Some of the bloated features need to be scaled back for the sake of fun.

Edited by Lempicka

3 hours ago, Lempicka said:

No. What I'm describing is Full fat FM13 and FM14. Some of the bloated features need to be scaled back for the sake of fun.

There's no world where SI should remove features for the sake of fun. You want a less bloated game you play those versions, it's been 9 years since FM13, it's such a good thing they added so much depth, does give an opportunity to play a more complex manager, it has def some issues, but you are asking to play literally what the other guy told you to. You want a FM13/FM14 feeling: play Console, play Touch.

8 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

There's depth and there are bloated features that either need to be scaled back or redesigned. Do you really think press conferences in their current state are a good thing?? It's just a series of repetitive questions twice a week that, in moat cases, are hardly relevant to what has actually happened in the match. 

People want depth where it matters: Immersion, set pieces, international management, better transfer market, etc. These are the things that "give an opportunity to play a more complex manager".

I get your frustration, i think the series is evolving into a state i personally dislike, so i'm embracing the FM Touch/Console as it is. It gives me exactly that sense i'm playing FM13/14/15 without those bloated features you and I dislike.

Press conferences to me are as boring as when they were introduced. Is a cool little feature to have but for me personally is useless. The extra features they added for squad depth and unhappiness (the moaning of fringe players) is something that i personally think it's overpowered as well. I don't think they break the squad harmony that fast but that's okay as well, each one has their individual opinion.

The other two versions have immersion, can have better set pieces because it uses the same ME, can obviously benefit of a better International management, better transfer market as I believe these are shared between the two.

That's why I think the series is going nowhere nicely for guys like you and me, FM Touch/Console is for sure the way to go, and maybe with a more relevant base of users we could make that series to go in the direction some users like.

But of course this is so individual and to each their one.

Cheers mate!

Edited by João14

28 minutes ago, HighFlyingDwarf said:

Main pitch: Season 5 Game of Thrones

Pitch outskirts: A lovely sunny day in the Sussex countryside.

image.thumb.png.b8b7e5942f0352f0ea775514fa5098d4.png

Clearly that club has installed under soil cooling - catch the opposition out by half-freezing your pitch.