*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, alian62 said:

The game is not broken thanks ? Just because you dont like it does not mean everyone else does too . Im really enjoying the game 

the defending system in match engine is broken. and when the game is all about the tactics in football it's make the game unplayable for me and lot others. 

I've found the "Drop off" defensive instruction effectively resolves the ball over the top prevalence, but it is quite limiting tactically.

Still feel passes are too accurate, especially in lower leagues. Completion rates are down from last year, but only since players have a tendency to send it long regarding of passing options.

For example my conference team successfully utilises the "Play out of the defence" instruction, despite low composure and technical ability. I can't remember a single instance of being punished by a stray pass or miscontrol. 

Even Arsenal struggled to implement it when Arteta first arrived, so a tier 5 team shouldn't be doing it with relative ease. In tier 5 mistakes should be even more prevalent, a compromise increased ball retention and providing a difficult tactical decision on the risk vs benefit.

The ME is still relatively good in  my eyes, but would like to see player attributes and Team Cohesion have more of a visual impact on what happens on the pitch.

Right now, better players perform better, but there isn't a noticeable difference in how the game plays between the highest and lowest levels. 

Edited by dannyfc

Not sure why people are saying that the Squad Depth screen is gone. It is there, for all clubs, even your u21s, u18s etc, but it is gone for the senior squad of the club you are managing.

You can find it right here, you have to scout the club first, of course, but it's there 

( Click link to watch gif ) https://gyazo.com/6c527c5026a09bae3b15ea396df31271 

Here is the squad depth screens of my u18s and my u21s (and I would like it back for my senior squad as well. Pretty please)

image.thumb.png.7c153216a9dec7837e67834bb8097ca9.png

image.thumb.png.3c8cae488b8fca7e02f23007069af594.png

Edited by Rhesus
added plea

1 hour ago, Bryan17 said:

In what sense is this fun, fair or remotely accurate? Ayr haven't been in the Scottish top flight since 1978! So getting there itself is a huge achievement, never mind being given pennies to try and compete and stay in the division. Making decent money and building a team of prospects while getting relegated would be achievement enough - IRL the league performance would be almost a moot point.

I kind of like that dose of harsh realism. How often do we see bottom of the table teams dump thei rmanagers in desperate bids to turn things around? Past successes are routinely ignored in real life.

I do agree with you about the budgets being too stingy, though. Even if you overachieve and grab a European spot, it can take 2-3 seasons for the board to catch up to reality and give you some money to spend. My general sense is that they are at least a year behind with their budgets, and I don't think the "They're just being cautious!" excuse is good enough.

5 hours ago, Style said:

the defending system in match engine is broken. and when the game is all about the tactics in football it's make the game unplayable for me and lot others. 

Then dont play it . :seagull:  The 3D is just an interpreation of the result . The only problem is the defenders are not showing that

3 hours ago, Rhesus said:

Not sure why people are saying that the Squad Depth screen is gone. It is there, for all clubs, even your u21s, u18s etc, but it is gone for the senior squad of the club you are managing.

You can find it right here, you have to scout the club first, of course, but it's there 

( Click link to watch gif ) https://gyazo.com/6c527c5026a09bae3b15ea396df31271 

Here is the squad depth screens of my u18s and my u21s (and I would like it back for my senior squad as well. Pretty please)

image.thumb.png.7c153216a9dec7837e67834bb8097ca9.png

image.thumb.png.3c8cae488b8fca7e02f23007069af594.png

you just click on squad Planner > Show full squad view.  It's still there.  

59 minutes ago, Simers said:

Actually no, what's in the Show full squad isn't the Squad Depth screen. In the squad planner the players are ordered the way me, the manager places the players puts them into the squad planner, and not ordered by the players' star ratings. Not the same.

See here? Notice how the players aren't ranked by how many stars they have? 

image.thumb.png.40e6c0c3dd5063ddbebf3d89776ecd85.png

Edited by Rhesus
added image

5 hours ago, Overmars said:

I kind of like that dose of harsh realism. How often do we see bottom of the table teams dump thei rmanagers in desperate bids to turn things around? Past successes are routinely ignored in real life.

I do agree with you about the budgets being too stingy, though. Even if you overachieve and grab a European spot, it can take 2-3 seasons for the board to catch up to reality and give you some money to spend. My general sense is that they are at least a year behind with their budgets, and I don't think the "They're just being cautious!" excuse is good enough.

I don't think that is realism. That is just modifiers ingame not beeing propperly balanced.

5 hours ago, Rhesus said:

Actually no, what's in the Show full squad isn't the Squad Depth screen. In the squad planner the players are ordered the way me, the manager places the players puts them into the squad planner, and not ordered by the players' star ratings. Not the same.

If you click on ask assistant manager in this screen it will sort out the order for you . 
I would love the old squad depth screen back though 

In my case in the above screen it may show 3 strikers for example........but I have 5 strikers. I want them all to show. 

Edited by Womaz

1 hour ago, Womaz said:

If you click on ask assistant manager in this screen it will sort out the order for you . 
I would love the old squad depth screen back though 

In my case in the above screen it may show 3 strikers for example........but I have 5 strikers. I want them all to show. 

Hey, thanks for that. I actually had no clue that this was a thing. In my opinion it's needlessly complicated compared to how it was previously. And yes, I still would like the old screen back.

Thanks again!

O

So I have the squad planner shown here . Its similar to the old version, but its not all of the players. 

I have 5 strikers and only 3 show up. I have looked to see if I can rectify this but I cant find any way to get them to show.

Screenshot (5).png

8 hours ago, Rhesus said:

9 hours ago, Simers said:

See here:

1 hour ago, gunnerfan said:

I've seen this referenced several times, including in an explanation by FrazT, as if that dispenses with the problem. But the video interpretation is what we (presumably) are using to read the game. If it isn't reliable, then what's the point? We might as well go back to text only.

It isn't really good enough that a graphics engine can't demonstrate the real issue in 3D mode in this day and age. As you say, if it's not telling me important information so that I can make tactical changes, why have it?

How do I get a scout to scout a competition and stop scouting it when it's over? In FM22 there was an option to scout until the competition is over but that option is gone.

I set a recruitment focus for the Toulon tournament and set the priority to standard and after one match day I got a notification telling me the recruitment focus has ended. 

Other times, I've set the priority to standard and the focus never seems to end, I need to manually end it.

Is there a way to do this that I am missing or is it just another bug in the recruitment focus/scouting feature? Thanks

20 hours ago, fc.cadoni said:

Since I like the original skin this year, it is time for UI/UX overhaul in next version (-s). Take a look here. Mind-blowing UI/UX overhaul with perfect examples from Piotr Kosmala.

943939228_Screenshot2022-11-22191752.thumb.png.f08410195d8ea47bff4d006d51ab52ef.png

I'm in love. This is absolutely what a modern UI should look like, not the mess we have right now.

1 hour ago, beachbod said:

For some reason at the end of my first season the game starts to slow down. Before my game was running smoothly, but suddenly just before july; a day can take over 10 minutes to process.

1st of july start of transfer window for most european leagues extra processing which can slow it down even on the most powerfull systems can depend on what leagues player database ect to how fast it will process 

58 minutos atrás, Domoboy23 disse:

If anyone's struggling with the long ball over the top/defenders not dealing with it... watch the World Cup. It happens a surprising amount IRL!

I recommend that you analyze the statistics of aerial duels of a single match and tell me if any player ended the match with 15> headers. Because that's what happens in every game on FM23

4 minutes ago, Mcfc1894 said:

anyone getting goals scored which are not being shown in the match engine 

Not exactly answering your point as I play commentary only, but sometimes it just doesn't come up in the text that a team has scored, I only realise when I look at the specific scoreboard on my screen. Infuriating at times as you think you are winning or holding a team to a draw, go to make a change and you clock that you are actually losing. Luckily I am pretty switched on to it now but it can be a bit annoying!

6 hours ago, DAZZ67 said:

Hi everyone,

I subscribe to most things that have been said about the ME, and am currently waiting for it to be fixed before engaging in a new save. It's really the worst ME we have seen in years imo. Also, most of the new features introduced in this year's edition, I find them purely aesthetics rather than impactful.

But I think that what makes this game less and less realistic is transfers, and I'll explain why.

1. Real club patterns are not replicated in the game. Most clubs have profiled the type of players they want in general or for specific positions. Yet in the game, you'll find the big guns battling it out for the same players, while irl they would not. You'll see PSG piling up left backs while they have Nuno Mendes, you'll see Arsenal recruiting over 30 year old players, you'll see average players from Spezia being wanted by Tottenham and MU, etc.

2. Transfer values are unrealistic. Players from second or third tier markets should be worth far less, even wonderkids. Players from Scandinavia, second tier South America, Central Europe, etc, they cannot cost anywhere above 10M€, yet you see it very often in the game. And I won't even engage in our own players' selling prices, which are a joke.

3. 90% of scouts in the game have below-par attributes. Very often you will need to revamp your scouting department because no-one has more than 10 or 12 in player profiling. For instance, Brighton is a club now revered for its scouting system, yet in the game the scouts have dreadful grades. Also Brighton is known for its advanced use of data, while in the game, their scouts have an average of 7 in data analysis...

I should point out that it's a valid point for other positions too. There must be 5 or 6 people with correct grades for loan management, 90% of directors of football have below 12 in negotiation, 90% of head of youth academies have terrible, terrible grades - look at the ones at Club Brugge, Porto, Salzburg,... all Youth League winners irl.

4. The game should give us the possibility to define the profile we want for each position and where we want to scout as 2 different things. As of now, it doesn't really work that way. Most of the times, your scouts will suggest profiles that don't fit your tactics at all, while you have asked them to, and very often out of the scouting zones you have asked. It's not realistic when you take charge of recruitment, and even worse when you delegate.

5. The notion of cycles is somehow absent as regard transfers in the game. After 3, 4, 5 or 6 years, a player or a staff member might want to test himself somewhere else. You see it sometimes, but too rarely, and not realistically imo. For instance in the game, never ever would have Michael Edwards left Liverpool, let alone for a new cycle and in a less popular club. 

6. Your scouts give too many bad suggestions, it's almost boring at times. Whatever the saves, whatever the staff members, you get the same suggestions. I begin to wonder if staff grades have any impact at all.

That alone could lead me to stop playing the game I've been playing for the last 20 years.

In FM, the big clubs stockpiling full backs and older players has been an issue for years. Another issue that gets raised every year and ignored. 

On 17/11/2022 at 17:17, roykela said:

Not so fun taking over a team in Belarus.
Trying to get some staff in. Not many want to join me. 
Almost every single person is demanding at least twice the amount i can afford.
Even the worst scout available to me wants more than i can afford (double).

That in itself is fine with me. Shouldn't be easy getting decent staff in.
What does annoy me though is that i have "Realistic appointments - First Team" checked.
Most of the results shown are definitely not realistic.
The top guy, when looking for a coach, demanded 10 times more than i could offer at most. That isn't something i'd categorise as a "realistic appointments".

The realistic filter definitely needs some work.

Agreed. Even if it's realistically difficult, I'd rather not have to manually click on dozens of staff, hoping one of them has low enough demands for me to even offer to them. It's a waste of time. Ideally, the advertise job feature would work, but I feel like that feature has never quite worked properly. In the end, I can see why tons of AI teams have skeleton staffs.

The problem is really apparent when you go from amateur to semi-pro status as a club. As an amateur club, I can get famous names in as DOF, assistant manager, and coach. Once I'm semi-pro, even no-name staff have demands beyond my club's means.

19 hours ago, Overmars said:

It should reflect real life, though, and the lower reaches of Scottish football are far, far different to teams in the English Premier League or the Champions League. I agree that trigger-happy boards for the top sides reflects real life but that's not how it tends to work below the top two or three clubs in Scotland.

1 hour ago, HighFlyingDwarf said:

This is still happening in completely unrealistic situations. Squad dynamics/harmony cyanide.

I always felt they'd built this in deliberately as an "equaliser" because other aspects of dynamics like morale seem OP.......

Just looked at the thread link and laughed because.......well how often do we see this. Honestly, issues slow to be fixed and reoccurring in later versions is soul destroying. Is there another meaning to "under review"?

503110289_Screenshot2022-11-24094845.jpg.a5225ba532eaa930bf911d5b6c1572f7.jpg 

Edited by janrzm

We see this argument every year about the word "broken".

Ultimately it's subjective. What's broken to some isn't even noticed by others depending on how they play the game.

To me, it is broken. I can't get any enjoyment from it. And that's a damn shame in a world cup year. All I want to do is play it and yet the bugs that exist mean I can't.

It's been a disappointing release but maybe a patch will help... Who knows.