*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

3 minutes ago, luka_zg said:

IDK if this is a bug or it's supposed to be like this but I have one of my youth intake players promoted to the senior squad, it's a player who came through a season ago, so in his player history there's just two seasons he exists in the game but the player doesn't have homegrown status neither of trained by the club or trained in england? I know there's a rule of minimum 3 years training with the club/country but he is a product of my youth academy and is englis, born in england. He should surely have a status of a player trained in england,no?

Has he been out on loan outside the country as this time would not count for his HG status.?

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, FrazT said:

If he has come through the club's youth system, he should have a history that will go back to his 15th birthday- maybe he joined the club sometime after that?

he was 16 when he joined (he came through in the youth intake) the club and the first season in the club was 2026/27. he has seasons 26/27 and 27/28 in the history.

Edited by luka_zg

1 minute ago, luka_zg said:

he was 16 when he joined (he came through in the youth intake) the club and the first season in the club was 2026/27. he has seasons 26/27 and 27/28 in the history.

He will need to have 3 years after joining the club before being home grown

5 minutes ago, FrazT said:

He will need to have 3 years after joining the club before being home grown

I know but it's not really logical if the player is from your own youth intake. At least he should be homegrown in england. he didn't come from Mars. He's been training football in england his whole life,no?

55 minutes ago, luka_zg said:

I know but it's not really logical if the player is from your own youth intake. At least he should be homegrown in england. he didn't come from Mars. He's been training football in england his whole life,no?

You said that he joined the club when he was 16 and that doesn't sound like he came through the full youth system, where he would have a history from before his 16th birthday.- if you have any doubts report it in the Bug Tracker

I have started my 4th season with Deportivo.

Regarding ME: I agree that defenders are making lots of unnatural mistakes like just holding the line and pretend that they do not have a clue of upcoming longball until opposition forwards get it. It seems like their defensive structure is far more important than the current moment and what's going on around them.

Transfers: I have a striker with average stats but became the leading goalscorer in Spanish Second Division (25 goals in 38 matches). Yet I didn't receive any transfer offers and enquiries etc. It's not realistic imo. 

Edited by soablacksmith

15 minutes ago, FrazT said:

You said that he joined the club when he was 16 and that doesn't sound like he came through the full youth system, where he would have a history from before his 16th birthday.- if you have any doubts report it in the Bug Tracker

What are you talking about? The player came in to the game universe through my youth intake. I don't understand your arguments. His one and only club he played and plays for in the game is ManUtd.

4 minutes ago, luka_zg said:

What are you talking about? The player came in to the game universe through my youth intake. I don't understand your arguments. His one and only club he played and plays for in the game is ManUtd.

He is trying to help you..........maybe take a less aggressive tone?

2 hours ago, luka_zg said:

IDK if this is a bug or it's supposed to be like this but I have one of my youth intake players promoted to the senior squad, it's a player who came through a season ago, so in his player history there's just two seasons he exists in the game but the player doesn't have homegrown status neither of trained by the club or trained in england? I know there's a rule of minimum 3 years training with the club/country but he is a product of my youth academy and is englis, born in england. He should surely have a status of a player trained in england,no?

If it happens with all/most players is probably a bug, but if it happens with a single player it might just be a player that was caught with that age so he maybe joined your club/country only then. It should not be the norm but it is also not unrealistic

17 minutes ago, luka_zg said:

I'm sorry. I didn't mean it to be aggressive...Aren't we all snowflakes these days...

Well that’s a first , I have never been called a snowflake before . Hey let’s not derail the thread 

59 minutes ago, luka_zg said:

Please be aware that it is difficult for other users to offer help when they don't see all the details that you see.  This kind of response to users trying to offer help will quickly mean that you will be on your own, so I will leave it there.  By the way, I am not a  snowflake either and that kind of comment is also hardly going to endear you to the other users.

On 19/11/2022 at 14:46, CFuller said:

I've played through nearly a season-and-a-half on FM23 and... yeah, I am not enjoying this game very much.

As others have said, this FM23 match engine has the potential to be the best ME yet. I like that more mistakes are being made more often, and that weaker teams don't keep passing the ball between their defensive players to rack up ridiculous passing stats anymore. Non-league teams don't play so much like top-flight teams anymore... but once again, SI seem to have massively overcorrected things, and now the opposite is happening.

I'm managing a team in La Liga, but far too often, I'm seeing high-quality players look completely incompetent on the ball. Defenders in particular are prone to making silly gaffes in very dangerous positions that often lead to goals, like this, this and this. Sweeper keepers also have an alarming tendency to charge out of their area without reason, leading to situations like this.

I'm also regularly seeing defenders hold the ball up and literally stop play for about five seconds before making a decision on what to do next. All the while, opposition players don't hassle them with nearly enough urgency. In real life, I couldn't imagine John Stones stopping the ball dead for five seconds to catch his breath while Roberto Firmino says, "In your own time, John..."

And then something like this happens.

Good job, William Carvalho. :thup:

Players seem to be completely unaware of their own surroundings. They might take no notice of an obvious pass to them, or they might even move away from the ball. Other times, a long ball might hit them in the back. This goal - scored FOR my Betis team when we played Getafe - was the moment where I really began to ask myself, "Is this match engine even fit for purpose?"

I am usually very quick to defend SI (I've been called a fanboy more times than I can count) or justify why bad/weird things happen in the game. But I really am struggling to be constructive about this ME, which is probably the most bugged I can ever remember seeing in FM. I would expect to see bugs like these in another game like Soccer Manager (seriously, folks, play that for an hour or two; its ME is genuinely insane).

Of course, I've reported a lot of these issue to SI through the Bug Tracker. I would probably have time to find more if my computer wasn't running/sounding like death warmed up.

Outside of the ME, I hate the new scouting system - it feels like SI tried to fix something that wasn't broken and made a complete mess of it. For one thing, when you set up a recruitment focus and don't set a specific area/competition for your scouts to focus on, they will usually just go through all the major countries in alphabetical order and scout them in turn. They'll scout a load of Argentinians to start with and then a bunch of Austrians, Belgians, Brazilians, etc...

The User Interface seriously needs an overhaul - not necessarily because it looks the same as it did on FM19 or whatever, but just because there are so many frustrating UI bugs and glitches, many of which have gone unaddressed for YEARS. And as for those issues that have been addressed... let's say that 'improving' the set piece editor by making the shirts bigger is like 'improving' a Michael Bay film by adding MORE explosions.

So many things are so buggy right now that I'm actually considering playing on a custom skin for the very first time if I start a long-term save in the new year. Note that I said if, not when. That's how disillusioned I feel about the game right now.

This is the 4th time in 7 years that I've played FM from the beta release (FM17/19/21/23). Every previous beta has felt like a full release, just with some rough edges. But we're now on the full version of FM23 and it still feels like a beta to me. I still hope that SI can sort out most of these issues for the big winter update and make FM23 an enjoyable experience, but until then, I might as well go back to FM22.

Ok, making fake mistakes that look real in video games is incredibly difficult, people will always say it doesn't look real and it would never happen like that in real life. But your two cases you posted here look very real to me, like honest to God lapses in concentration. These things happen like this IRL a lot. I haven't bought the game yet (first time I didn't get it on release) because I don't see any convincing reason to upgrade, so I can't comment on the other things, but the two examples look really well done to me.

Am I the only one who has problems with crossing? My FBs/WBs always run down the line, make a stop, turn around and then cross... I tried with and without "Work Ball Into Box" instructions and even told them to "cross often". I ready through a couple of forums and saw that other people are also observing similar things... This for sure is a bug/weakness of the match engine. Does not have anything to do with tactical instructions or player intelligence, as opposition players behave in the same pattern... Nobody is running down the line and crossing, there is always a stop and 180degree turn first and then they cross with the weaker foot...

15 minutes ago, goku4 said:

Am I the only one who has problems with crossing? My FBs/WBs always run down the line, make a stop, turn around and then cross... I tried with and without "Work Ball Into Box" instructions and even told them to "cross often". I ready through a couple of forums and saw that other people are also observing similar things... This for sure is a bug/weakness of the match engine. Does not have anything to do with tactical instructions or player intelligence, as opposition players behave in the same pattern... Nobody is running down the line and crossing, there is always a stop and 180degree turn first and then they cross with the weaker foot...

if u are playing with attacking mentality and there is not much people in the box to receive the cross, wide players often choose to recycle the ball instead of trying a low chance cross

1 hour ago, goku4 said:

I am experiencing the same problem.

The full-backs always have an open line of sight and angle to cross, but they don't try.

Then, a back pass is made and the midfielder or winger finishes with a mid-range shot.

1 hour ago, Zoolok42 said:

Ok, making fake mistakes that look real in video games is incredibly difficult, people will always say it doesn't look real and it would never happen like that in real life. But your two cases you posted here look very real to me, like honest to God lapses in concentration. These things happen like this IRL a lot. I haven't bought the game yet (first time I didn't get it on release) because I don't see any convincing reason to upgrade, so I can't comment on the other things, but the two examples look really well done to me.

Yeah I actually agree- I've seen a few very odd looking mistakes that people have posted but the two video examples in that post like fine to me.

In number one the player receiving the pass is caught on his heels and the opposition makes a well timed interception- happens all the time in football.

Number two again the defender is on their heels waiting for the ball to come to him and the attacker takes advantage.

Personally I'd be concerned if I saw number two happening constantly but as a one off I don't see an issue.

On 19/11/2022 at 13:51, axelmuller said:

Why are managers being 'fired' instead of sacked?

Shouldn't the game be called 'Soccer Coach' instead of Football Manager.

Does this mean you’ll be throwing it in the trash?

I’ll get my coat ……

On 19/11/2022 at 13:55, GOODNAME said:

Mid season 1.. super high values for players.. i just not get it! and the SI team telling me its not a bug, how???

image.png.ab194118bdd1b388fa24849cb6a51976.pngimage.png.aae9854c2842279dec86c193069c1941.pngimage.png.a1c1c4a3d873eaa0749c64244cf2ab6d.png

Isn’t this simply a way of fending off interest from other club?

if you look at the clubs they are all “big” so have the financial coffers (exception of Barca clearly) to be able to rebuff any approaches.

just my take on it though :lock:

3 hours ago, luka_zg said:

You can see what his home grown status is by selecting the filter in Squad.

image.thumb.png.2b0471ac0c5c9eb32b1dd371e52d3ddb.png

As you see in my game, some of the younger ones still need to be at the club for a longer time, while others have it already. This is to simulate that some players have been at the club for a long time while others joined shortly before the youth intake happens.

Also, asking questions and then getting some back and then lashing out is not the best way to get help or advise. I don't think it would have helped if I asked why you didn't look at this screen before asking, you didn't because you didn't know, in the same way that others might need more info before they can accurately know what you are looking for. Most people in here are trying to help out, even with limited info, so please be a bit more graceful in your responses, please.

19 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Carryover problem from FM2022.  Are they also offering Fringe Player status?

They are. I reject those out of hand. More ludicrous is players, when re-signing with the team, make a promise to loan them out a condition, yet when you agree to a loan in which their status will be "Important Player", the player balks, saying he thinks he will get more playing time by NOT going out on loan.

As far as I'm concerned, this is just one more indicator of the player interaction module needing an overhaul. It's not that it isn't improving--it's that it's getting worse.

Enough of the sniping everyone. Any more and you'll be banned from the thread without any further warning 

Have removed the last bunch of posts. Constructive feedback is important and encouraged, but if you can't leave feedback without taking potshots at people, it's not what we want, so it will be removed at this point.

We're not all managing PSG. I cant afford coaching courses for everyone. Why put it in responsabilities if it doesnt work anyway?

How difficult can it be to translate "only user decides coaching courses" to bits and bytes?

Again, its all these little things that easily could have come up by doing one playtest that just keep adding and adding

Edited by eXistenZ

1 hour ago, stevemc said:

This doesn't make sense to me, am I reading this wrong or is it a bug?

FREE TRANSFER > The board are disappointed... This is mainly due to the club paying over the odds for the player.

How can you pay over the odds for something that's free?

There's defo some disconnect/contradiction within the club vision tab, which makes me wonder how effective it is...

Maybe it takes into account total spend including agent fee, signing-on fee, weekly wage and all the various bonuses and clauses.  I mean, I don't think that's the case, but it could be.

Just now, Sunstrikuuu said:

Maybe it takes into account total spend including agent fee, signing-on fee, weekly wage and all the various bonuses and clauses.  I mean, I don't think that's the case, but it could be.

Yeah maybe, if that's the case the maybe the language needs changing so it's clear why they are unhappy...

Bit of a weird one. Not sure if this was also the case on previous FM's...
If I have my captain on the bench, but vice playing... if I bring on my captain he then takes the armband off the vice, even if he isn't the one going off. Surely IRL the player who started the match as captain would keep the armband unless it was him going off? Feels a bit belittling for the player

34 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

Bit of a weird one. Not sure if this was also the case on previous FM's...
If I have my captain on the bench, but vice playing... if I bring on my captain he then takes the armband off the vice, even if he isn't the one going off. Surely IRL the player who started the match as captain would keep the armband unless it was him going off? Feels a bit belittling for the player

I think this may depend on the team IRL, but at Liverpool I'm sure I've seen Henderson been given the armband by both Van Dijk and Milner several times, even when they haven't come off themselves at the same time.

also find this frustrating (might have also been in FM22) in a post match interview after you lose a match.  You say something like we didn't deserve to win and the next option is 'why do you feel wholly responsible for the defeat?'.  I don't, my players played poorly and that's what I'm saying.  Never seems to be an option to say the players didn't do what they were supposed to do?

1312464031_Screenshot(30).thumb.png.764f47cd54c4ee891ae312a6efc9b8ac.png

4 hours ago, KeegBCFC said:

With every passing game I play in this years edition I am getting more and more baffled as to how this long ball issue made it through testing. 

Because not everyone has an issue . I dont see it much at all and I play 424 433 and 532 . And its a representation of a result . If you lose 1-0 by an over the top ball it was meant to be . When they fix it you will still lose 1-0  by some other means . The result is calculated then played out with only your subs , tactics and shouts changing the course of the match . Its the pace of the defenders that isn't represented 

On my save I am in the season 2027/28 and Chelsea first team still plays Lukaku,Kante,Kovacic,Chillwel,Jorginho,Mount.Sterling..All players older then 32 years. The youngest first teamers are Fofana and some other defender with 28 years old. Lewandowski is still first choice striker in Barcelona with 39 years old!

When I try to find a player with maximum age of 23 for my team (I am ManUtd) it is a big big drought on the market of high quality players. When you start the game, search for example for DLP under 23 years old for ManUtd and you will find at least a dozen great options. Now, in the end of season 6 there are hardly any. It's quite disappointing how old players are world class until their 40's and then you have low quality newgens on the market. They are not all low quality, you can find good ones here and there but in general the quality of players drops I feel.

2 hours ago, luka_zg said:

On my save I am in the season 2027/28 and Chelsea first team still plays Lukaku,Kante,Kovacic,Chillwel,Jorginho,Mount.Sterling..All players older then 32 years. The youngest first teamers are Fofana and some other defender with 28 years old. Lewandowski is still first choice striker in Barcelona with 39 years old!

When I try to find a player with maximum age of 23 for my team (I am ManUtd) it is a big big drought on the market of high quality players. When you start the game, search for example for DLP under 23 years old for ManUtd and you will find at least a dozen great options. Now, in the end of season 6 there are hardly any. It's quite disappointing how old players are world class until their 40's and then you have low quality newgens on the market. They are not all low quality, you can find good ones here and there but in general the quality of players drops I feel.

This is just a continuation of FM 22 where the development of newgens were MUCH slower than ever before. Pre FM 22 it was normal to sign a 18y prospect who would reach his potential by the 20th birthday so it was extremely easy to have an army of world beaters 20-21 year old.

SI overcorrected this issue.

On 18/11/2022 at 15:39, fc.cadoni said:

Numerous examples of DC players being far away from each other creating huge gaps has been reported as well.

That's a known issue. Specifically the DCL position with DL. 

the space between the channels definitely got bigger in FM22 and it carried over to FM23  and it's a problem both offensively and defensively. If you go back and play FM21 you will see the the space between the channels is very different and it's just about right

2 minutes ago, shirajzl said:

This is just a continuation of FM 22 where the development of newgens were MUCH slower than ever before. Pre FM 22 it was normal to sign a 18y prospect who would reach his potential by the 20th birthday so it was extremely easy to have an army of world beaters 20-21 year old.

SI overcorrected this issue.

Actually overall growth is higher again, but the AI is not willing to play players that have lower reputation. Newgens not gaining reputation and old players not loosing reputation is a reality.

The answer could be, to make the AI better squad builders.

8 hours ago, prot651 said:

Because not everyone has an issue . I dont see it much at all and I play 424 433 and 532 . And its a representation of a result . If you lose 1-0 by an over the top ball it was meant to be . When they fix it you will still lose 1-0  by some other means . The result is calculated then played out with only your subs , tactics and shouts changing the course of the match . Its the pace of the defenders that isn't represented 

Isn't it more a case of - the result is calculated based on a host of factors including your players attributes and the opposing players attributes? The game doesn't just go ''The result should be 1-0 so I'll insert a goal this way'' the goal would be BECAUSE of a factor? 

That being said, I'm also not seeing it a huge amount and I'm able to add it into the narrative of the save, IE defender slip, misjudge flight of ball etc which the animations don't do a great job of (But are tons better his year). ME is great, just needs a couple of tiny tweaks imo to improve the defending slightly. Also feel more near post crosses need to be added in rather than constant ones to the backpost for stationary players to head... need to see more bursting runs ONTO the ball to head rather from stationary potisitions iwth no momentum

That being said - I am always worried about knock on effects of slight ME changes so hopefully SI release a patch ASAP to allow more testing from users.

Edited by Domoboy23

15 minutes ago, Renyy said:

Something really needs to be done to offering new staff deals. Might seem small, but the added extra two steps is infuriating when you're checking in on 20+ staff trying to find someone willing to join for what little wage you can offer. There's absolutely no reason we should need to manually exit negotiations with each one.

I think the whole contract negotiation screen needs looking at.

In a day and age when contracts are laid heavy with bonuses and clauses, there should be a view that shows you the previous offer so you can COMPARE the current offer with the last offer without having to do 4 clicks off the screen, then back. Why can't we see both at the same time? 

1 hour ago, Style said:

SI dont give us expected time for fix and dont comment about bugs, which is more dissapointing than the broken game itself

The game is not broken thanks ? Just because you dont like it does not mean everyone else does too . Im really enjoying the game 

End of season and I've just had a message telling me the board are unhappy that I have "Failed to develop the best youth academy in the country", Given that I am in Scotland and my U-18's have won the Youth Champions League 2 years  in a row I find this a very harsh assessment.