UNVEILED: The final 2022 World Cup squads

Rob1981

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jeroen Thijssen said:

Jason Denayer has joined in for Belgium, there might be doubts about Jan Vertonghen's fitness.

not really sure about Denayer, think we could use a fit Vertonghen 

would also make him finish off his period at the national team in beauty

53 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

They've got quite a few who have only just made it back in time, and some without any matches. Romero, Dybala, Paredes, Di María off the top of my head. At least two of those would start normally, and I think he'd pick Paredes too

On 13/11/2022 at 21:17, Rob1981 said:

Iran is here as well:

Goalkeepers: Amir Abedzadeh (Ponferradina), Alireza Beiranvand (Persepolis), Hossein Hosseini (Esteghlal), Payam Niazmand (Sepahan)

Defenders: Rouzbeh Cheshmi (Esteghlal), Ehsan Hajsafi (AEK Athens), Majid Hosseini (Kayserispor), Abolfazl Jalali (Esteghlal), Hossein Kanaanizadegan (Al-Ahli), Shojae Khalilzadeh (Al-Ahli), Milad Mohammadi (AEK Athens), Sadegh Moharrami (Dinamo Zagreb), Morteza Pouraliganji (Persepolis), Ramin Rezaeian (Sepahan)

Midfielders: Vahid Amiri (Persepolis), Saeid Ezatolahi (Vejle), Saman Ghoddos (Brentford), Ali Gholizadeh (Charleroi), Alireza Jahanbakhsh (Feyenoord), Ali Karimi (Kayserispor), Ahmad Nourollahi (Shabab Al-Ahli), Mehdi Torabi (Persepolis)

Forwards: Karim Ansarifard (Omonia), Sardar Azmoun (Bayer Leverkusen), Mehdi Taremi (Porto)

On 13/11/2022 at 21:18, Rob1981 said:

Only 25 instead of 26 in that Iran squad, and they've put four keepers in.

Carlos gonna Carlos.

Leaves out an experienced first team regular (Ebrahimi) completely and calls up a protestor the government told him not to even when he's injured (Azmoun).

I mean it's a formula that's worked so far, he's a mad genius.

2 hours ago, git2thachoppa said:

Carlos gonna Carlos.

Leaves out an experienced first team regular (Ebrahimi) completely and calls up a protestor the government told him not to even when he's injured (Azmoun).

I mean it's a formula that's worked so far, he's a mad genius.

they're a bit of a mystery to me, especially with the amount of players playing in the domestic league

with USA and Wales next to England in the group they could end up 2nd but if they are last after 3 games that wouldn't be an upset either

4 hours ago, buffalo said:

they're a bit of a mystery to me, especially with the amount of players playing in the domestic league

with USA and Wales next to England in the group they could end up 2nd but if they are last after 3 games that wouldn't be an upset either

Given Iran sacked the guy that brought them to the World Cup and brought back Queiroz without preparation, it could go either way. If it's the Iran of 2018, and Azmoun is fit, they're a strong choice for 2nd.

Taremi is the in-form goal threat - he's the guy that missed right in the final minute of 2018 that whould've had Iran qualify top of the group and knocked Portugal out. He plays as a fake striker, and if England's defence play to club form he'll drag them everywhere, especially if England are successfully frustrated and chase the game. It's perfect that they play England first, so they may be surprised by Taremi, the full backs and goalkeeper assists coming at them.

Wales are beatable and USA couldn't win away at all in qualifying (lost 4-1 in Honduras), so who knows?

Edited by git2thachoppa

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/deschamps-why-did-not-replace-karim-benzema-france-world-cup-squad/blt8137887f1c2d1c5f

Speaking to reporters, Deschamps said: "Because I decided, simply. This is a quality group, united on and off the pitch. I have confidence in them."

That was what he said when he was asked about it. It still doesn't make much sense.

Is there anyone that has been called up to the France squad before and gets along with everyone?

I mean it IS a downer when you have a good group, and then someone who doesn't quite get along with everyone or work 110% comes in. Is it worth the potential slight discord just to call up someone who won't play?