Gary Neville

Coulthard's Jaw

Given his ambitions to enter politics in the future, this should really be the moment where it hits home for Gary just how negatively the Qatar World Cup and anyone going to promote it are being received by the public. Voters have long memories (well, unless you're a Tory in which case 5 minutes ago is ancient history) and won't forget his taking Qatari blood money.

1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

Given his ambitions to enter politics in the future, this should really be the moment where it hits home for Gary just how negatively the Qatar World Cup and anyone going to promote it are being received by the public. Voters have long memories (well, unless you're a Tory in which case 5 minutes ago is ancient history) and won't forget his taking Qatari blood money.

Mate, I think you'll find a lot of people just really don't care all that much.

2 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Those on the left tend do and considering Nev wants to be a Labour politician that might matter.

Not at all. It's a certain type of online person mostly. The vast majority of labour voters are not terminally online left people.

In Neville’s defence is he actually going to “promote” it? Hes not doing some sort of ambassador role is he? If he’s just commentating on it and being paid by a broadcaster then he’s no more questionable than any of the players playing in it 

14 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

In Neville’s defence is he actually going to “promote” it? Hes not doing some sort of ambassador role is he? If he’s just commentating on it and being paid by a broadcaster then he’s no more questionable than any of the players playing in it 

If it was just ITV I'd agree, but he's signed up to work for Bein Sports as well, so he is basically being paid directly by the Qataris.

10 hours ago, Heartwork said:

I don’t believe he plans to formally enter politics. Will voice his opinion a lot but don’t think he’ll run for any formal position in politics.

I think his heart is in the right place right up until it affects him personally. If he'd been given no opportunity to go to Qatar he'd most likely take Hislop's position that you can criticise while staying at home, but now that he's got an opportunity he's just gonna cognitive dissonance his way into justifying it.

10 hours ago, Mr Adam said:

I wouldn't say its the same - i can understand with any player its always possible, and in some cases incredibly likely, that this will be their only/last opportunity to play in a world cup, where as Nev will have plenty more to commentate on. Also I wouldn't even say the two are comparable in their importance anyway

17 minutes ago, Rafalution said:

I think his heart is in the right place right up until it affects him personally.

I agree but that’s the same for most british liberals :D. Think we just have to accept that trait. I can’t hate them all for it!

Here is Neville criticising by promoting on his social media account that the 6500 worker death figure is wrong and how it's only actually 3 

This is the kind inside criticism we can expect whilst he's working for Bein 

Edited by Barry Cartman

If he was just doing it as part of his obligations to a UK broadcaster then fair enough... it's still the World Cup and part of the reason states target events like this is because it's impossible to pull yourself out of the vortex sometimes. He's working for a Qatari state owned broadcaster though, there's no defence nor reason for that and unless he plans to go absolutely nuclear during his commentary of the final or something like that he must know nobody is going to take his claims of "highlighting the issue" seriously.  

It's depressing sometimes to live long enough to find out the least weird/shady of the Co92 is the one who bites off his daughters toe nails. 

2 minutes ago, JD nawrat said:

The crazy thing is that all of these stadiums have been built at great expense (financially, of course, but at what cost to human life?) and what is going to happen with them after the WC? They'll never be packed. 

Qatar says they won't become white elephants:

But they obviously are going to become white elephants, it happened in countries with much stronger football tradition (like Brazil, I suppose happened in Russia too).

Edited by PMLF

3 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Qatar says they won't become white elephants:

But they obviously are going to become white elephants, it happened in countries with much stronger football tradition (like Brazil, I suppose happened in Russia too).

I'm willing to bet it happened in South Africa too, although i don't actually know. 

Thank you for reminding me that they're referred to as White Elephants, couldn't recall the term at all :D

e: yeah the link in the tweet you posted says that the last 3 hosts all had this issue. 

One of the World Cup stadiums in Qatar is named after the Persian Gulf country’s international dialing code — 974 — and another is called “Education City.” They’re unusual names that hardly sound like they have links to soccer, and after the tournament many no longer will.

Qatar built seven of its eight lavish World Cup stadiums and heavily renovated another. The smallest World Cup host nation since Switzerland in 1954, Qatar has a population of 2.6 million, with only 360,000 Qatari citizens, and a limited domestic league.

So it’s questionable it needs so many large venues after the tournament, especially after the past three World Cups — in South Africa, Brazil and Russia — exposed several stadiums without long-term use.

At least Stadium 974 in Ras Abu Aboud won’t become a white elephant, since it will disappear. The 40,000-seat arena located port-side just east of Doha was made from recycled shipping containers — 974 of them. The demountable, energy-efficient stadium will make way for a waterfront business development.

Go them :rolleyes:

Edited by JD nawrat

1 hour ago, ianmatt15 said:

Hardly the fat oaf. He himself is taking the despicable BBC TV tax, off some poor old woman. If Neville didn't take the coin someone else would.

Comparing the TV licence to countless human rights violations is a bit of a stretch 😅

14 minutes ago, Barnzy said:

Comparing the TV licence to countless human rights violations is a bit of a stretch 😅

The future of millions of our children have been wrecked in part by the BBC failing to do their job during the panicdemic, no bigger human rights abuse than that. Neville and Hislop are one of the same really, will say what the bosses want for easy money. Open media is over.

2 hours ago, ianmatt15 said:

The future of millions of our children have been wrecked in part by the BBC failing to do their job during the panicdemic, no bigger human rights abuse than that. Neville and Hislop are one of the same really, will say what the bosses want for easy money. Open media is over.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, ianmatt15 said:

Oh wow a user on here with even hotter takes than oche.

18 hours ago, InigoPatinkin said:

If he was just doing it as part of his obligations to a UK broadcaster then fair enough... it's still the World Cup and part of the reason states target events like this is because it's impossible to pull yourself out of the vortex sometimes. He's working for a Qatari state owned broadcaster though, there's no defence nor reason for that and unless he plans to go absolutely nuclear during his commentary of the final or something like that he must know nobody is going to take his claims of "highlighting the issue" seriously.  

It's depressing sometimes to live long enough to find out the least weird/shady of the Co92 is the one who bites off his daughters toe nails. 

In terms of least shady, what’s the issue with Becks or Phil?

Butt/Giggs pretty obvious