[FM23] & [FM24] Ernst Happel Challenge - If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again

SixPointer

Header.thumb.png.131604282aa79be5b09f41fc55f1aceb.png

The new kid on block

226d3e7dcea9c813ba644acc480a9e89.png

The bragging rights in O classico are firmly ours, 4-0 is a serious result! Giovane with a man of the match debut.

Our passing shape was perfect, Granelli dropping into the midfield and dragging the defence with him to open space down the sides. This is exactly what happened for the opening goal, Graneli drops in and then slots Giovane down the side who cut back for his fellow Brazilian Franca to fire home.

Graneli showed his prowess to lead the line as well, heading home inside the six yard box, the young italian stallion is fast becoming a sensation in lisbon. Morato knocked in another near post corner for good measure. Giovane switched to the left later on and he provided another assist from that side of the pitch, he looked very exciting.

41173746af6c883e1eef3839aec6596f.png

A league update, i realised i hadn't done one. Still unbeaten, but three draws ensure that we aren't completely out of sight. Eight points isn't a gap I would consider home and dry, especially with Sporting CP's current form. Porto have had a very shaky first half of the season and trail us by thirteen.

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Sporting CP's current form

Interesting how things change... Sporting have been hugely disappointing in my save while Porto have been nipping at our heels all the way. But you're far in the future...

I think you're right about league positions, too - an 8pt lead isn't enough to relax, but still an excellent position to be in at this stage of the season :thup:

4 hours ago, warlock said:

Interesting how things change... Sporting have been hugely disappointing in my save while Porto have been nipping at our heels all the way. But you're far in the future...

I think you're right about league positions, too - an 8pt lead isn't enough to relax, but still an excellent position to be in at this stage of the season :thup:

Well I think Porto are having an off seasons. Because before my arrival they were dominating the title. While Sporting finished 4th last time out.

I fully expected when I resigned at Standard that Sporting CP would be the next destination due to there performance.

Yeah 8 point lead and still in the UCL, league cup final to look forward to. Still kicking myself about FA Cup. 

52 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

Benfica finish the season unbeaten

Amazing season... I don't think I've had a sniff of that yet :applause:

Shame about Juve, but not bad for the first season. Onwards and upwards!

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

That Goal Difference in the League! I guess like Warlock the problem lies with Champions League.

I’m sure next season will provide a sterner test. Porto lost the manager to Juve half way through. Sporting looked good in spells but need more work. nice to see Vitoria break the mould as well.

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

think that you've found your feet quite well at Benfica. Cracking first season and the big rebuild certainly paid off! Guessing that it's now just those finer changes to push on for that next challenge - Europe....

I’ve already secured my first potential world class player. I do still need to beef the squad up. Mainly midfield and wing backs. I think defence and attack is covered unless we have any big sales.

33 minutes ago, warlock said:

Amazing season... I don't think I've had a sniff of that yet :applause:

Shame about Juve, but not bad for the first season. Onwards and upwards!

We did ride our luck at times. Late equaliser against sporting was a huge moment in terms of the unbeaten record.

16 minutes ago, Lestri said:

Huge performance! As a Palace fan IRL I gotta love the Matheus Franca signing! 

He has looked a fantastic bit of business the only issue the big guns are already taking a shine to him. 

Header.thumb.png.2a5468c576ba641339709be8341a25f5.png

Running the numbers

A little bit of statistical breakdown, how the tactic played out and how individuals performed as well. Try my best to add a detail for the end of season one in Lisbon and some plans for season two, before motoring on again.

e78d434b52b8b0d447a60698411ae73f.png

The best eleven consisted of four of the new signings, Franca, Hidalgo,Rodriguez and Paulo all shone brightly in their first season. Paulo with a very impressive 12 assists, Rodriguez one behind him. Hidalgo led them by one (takes corners) but he also added 11 goals taking his direct involvement to 24. Franca scored 19 and assisted 11 taking him up to 30 in total in a sublime first season on the European continent.

To be honest i dont think we made a bad signing, Mecka, Giovane and Granelli will all be scratching their heads to how they never pipped Balogun for a slot. Andric, Ilenic, Martinez perfomed when called upon, Barco perhaps the one sore point but these were planned as cover players.

Joao Fonseca was an absolute rock at the heart of our defence, winning the most possession and the most headers in the league and making lots of progressive passes, taking his chance to become a regular by both hands and making it his own. Him and Morato found the net 17 times between them which of course came mostly from set plays, and yes corners we are number one.

1ffc3e3b803c3ac8819875e9f2ccbefe.png

This graphic gives you a decent overview of how we use the ball, we don't favour possession it merely a by product of our dominance. Pass completion is lower than top 6 as we take risks with our passing which correlates with most chances created and the high final third passes.

80821661eefcc7c4ffdc24d55271b7f8.png

The high press is still heavily featured and has become synonymous with Franz Schmier and his style, although this year we don't top the number in terms of OPPDA. Possession won makes more sense as the teams above us struggle for the ball so have more chances of winning it. 

Crossing has been a huge part of the success, anyone who clicked on highlights would see our low crosses and cutbacks have worked since changing it up at the start of the season, also overloading on the flanks with the dual AF roles, wing backs and wide centre backs make it a lethal weapon.

Future Plans

• Livakovic is on his way out the club, a reasonable season but at 33 the 10 million made from Inter was no brainer
  • Mctominay is cashed in for 10 million for the exact same reason, age not on his side
  • Aurnes showed why he has been around so long but there was no compromise on squad status so i let his deal run out
  • Brandt had a great season, he surprised me in the front line but if can get a good fee at 33 he will join the fellow older statesmen

In terms of incoming a top level goalkeeper is a must, someone who can lead us to UCL glory, Kosev has potential and he did okay but he isnt going to win us the UCL. In defence the back three is fairly settled, young Dias and Andric look very promising but we could do with one or two more promising players to beef us up.

The wing backs is another area that needs work, Ilenic and young Cardoso done okay at RWB, but perhaps need some stern competition, Cardoso played well above his ability and again won't win us the Champions league, the other side Paulo had a bad injury but looks sublime, Barco was hot and cold so maybe an area to look at. I need three players in each position here to make sure we aren't caught short again.

Pivots is another huge focus, Martinez done okay but again won't win us the champions league, Rodriguez was ranked number 2 on the next gen list so he can take us there if he fulfilled his potential. With departures i think we need 2/3 players here, a world class anchor being the priority.

The forward line is absolutely fine as long as now one comes in for our prized assets, Brandt leaving will allow me to bring a player from the academy up and we won't lose much strength.

Shopping list

• Top level keeper
  • Top Level anchor
  • Backup SV?
  • Backup WB's?
  • Promising CB's
Edited by SixPointer

Good to see low crosses with a front three is still dominating in FM23 as much as it did for my FM22 Vaduz save. I also the STCL and STCLR to drift wider which made it especially good. 

8 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

A fine season domestically, mighty impressive! Unlucky with Juventus, but that's the challenge you face in Portugal. Agree with others about Franca, a great addition.

Thanks man. I’ve more or less done my summer business and the aim is to close the gap on Juve!

3 hours ago, Lestri said:

Good to see low crosses with a front three is still dominating in FM23 as much as it did for my FM22 Vaduz save. I also the STCL and STCLR to drift wider which made it especially good. 

Yeah the front three has been superb. I switch it up. Sometimes I tell them to stay wider and try get the wing backs more narrow other times I use them as the inside players.

if I want them wider I use the stay wider and play there stronger foot to the the flank. I do the opposite if I want them coming inside. 

Header.thumb.png.1a7e05f3a1d80a585cd4e0b0ed573489.png

Summer breeze makes me feel fine

I think for the first time in the series I'm happy with my transfer business before pre season kicks off, A few big arrivals, a few wonderkids return after being loaned out after buying last season. On the whole unless someone leaves no more business required.

Brandt, Livakovic, Aurnes, Mctominay all depuatred as planned. Brandt fetched 16 million which allowed us to raise 36 million.

b1a0a1281e01834f4494491dfd13647a.png

Frances spat the dummy out after not being played as a ball playing defender, as he played WCB mostly. I'm not in the business of keeping players around who don't want to be here so he was offered up for his 40 million release clause. Brighton offered 38 million up front and I bit their hand off.

38 million represents 28 million pound profit which is a huge mark up, especially for an unhappy player, did i want him for next season yes but it gives someone else a chance. The plan is to move young Jose Dias up into a first team slot, his potential is insane and it feels like a Benfica thing to do.

Two new deals in the backline to join Dias. Club captain Morato signed a huge deal, and young player of the year Foneseca followed suit, keeping Man City off our case. Morato represents elite level defending in the back line and he should bring the two local lads on leaps and bounds.

Diallo returns from a loan on Westerlo, he was purchased last year for 9.25 million euros. Another at 17 like Dias who looks capable of becoming world class, interestingly enough he can play as IWB, but i'll utilize him as a WCB as cover for Morato and Andric.

Down the Middle, Erick Martinez a young mexican arrives for 10 million, at 18 again he has a potential to become elite if we nature him correctly, he's had two years first team football in Mexico now he looks to provide competition to Fonseca and Mendes for the Middle slot.

The biggest bargain of the summer comes in the form of Lucas, 625k for another young centre back with the potential to be elite. He is the most Benfica esk signing of the window and he will battle it out with Dias for the starting slot on the right.

I don't have a third man here, but I feel I have enough depth so unless someone stands out in the crowd I am happy. This should see us comfortable for some time unless players are sold against our will.

c0989de0186a6b2a38c2154da47ee1cd.jpg

Behind the new look defence is Dennis Seimen, our world class keeper and the first huge purchase and the first brick in the wall in the quest to win the UCL. He cost us a huge 56 million but the deal was agreed after selling Balogun last year, and i think for world class i can handle the cost.

Not very Benfica but times are a changing and the AI had purchased a 32 year old Julian Brandt for 35 million before i arrived so this is at least a better age.

RWB was another area where players were purchased last season. Walter Cáceres returns from his loan deal with River, we opted to loan him back after the 6 million signing. Again another player with the potential to be elite much like Gordan Degoricija, another 6.25 million purchase at RWB, wonderkids from the Baltics is Franz favourite. Cardoso will be loaned out and Ilenic and these pairs have a three way fight on their hands for the number 2 jersey.

LWB is the only area where I feel I may still be in the market to find a wonderkid type to add competition to Paulo and Barco, I probably could get by but am aiming for three players, especially wing backs.

af7ebe848b7e4bc49fa57e590973c3aa.png

Lavia is 25, still has plenty of pedigree and will become world class if Franz can get the best out of him like he has done to so many. He looks to have knocked Rodriguez out of the Segundo starting slot, he was unhappy at Southampton and we managed to beat Bayern to his signature.

078b74a2c56ef0436ea6fd0d5440a855.png

The big money was still flying around the midfield as Danilo joined Lavia, the new anchor again was unhappy at AC Milan and 60 million was enough to prise him away. This now gives us another already elite player, to join a potential world class player in the double pivot. Crucial part of the pitch and it was warranted to spend here. He was a better option than Vencedor in the end.

Martinez and Rodriguez may feel hard done by but I don't feel Martinez will take us to a UCL and Rodriguez is still growing. Martim Ferreira was brought back to the club for less than what we sold him for to add cover alongside Carlos Medina and Jonathan Corozo who return from loan spells. This gives us plenty of cover and potential in the midfield, especially compared to last year with Sabitzer, Mctominay and Aurnes.

8fc5ec42f6431ebcb2ef3678e83bf90d.png

Managing to hold onto superstar Matheus Franca is going to be the biggest task for the rest of the window, these offers are not close enough to the 60 million i value him at. Problem is he wont sign a new deal because of the interest in his services.

Granelli will be more than ready to step in as the starting false 9, as could Mecka. Where as Giovane and Hidalgo are more suited to the outside roles, but I think it's safe to say the front three will chop and change depending on form. They all are capable and it's very much a fluid approach.

Two new whizzkids enter the mix this year as well, Estêvão Palmeirim comes into the senior side, he was sent on loan last season but he's now ready to mix in, and give him his chance to establish himself. The second is Ronald Leites, a Uruguayan wonderkid, who we bought for 4.1 million and loaned him back last season.

Summary

There is no question the board have backed Franz, three times breaking the record fee, Seimen, Danilo and Lavia. This is the level needed if we are to keep closing the gap to the elite clubs, of course supplemented with the younger players brought in to mix with the academy produce now gives the squad a much more talented feel but with a more established first team. 

The next part is going to be designing  a tactic for those tough away Uefa champions league ties. Juves two goals came from midfield runners so perhaps dropping another player into the middle will help but it's something I am going to work on.

Last season we won the league undefeated so it's hard to top such a thing, but a league title is a must with the spend as is the FA Cup after missing out last year. In truth the money spent should warrant a treble should be expected but it depends how deep we can get into the UCL.

This latest drive should now give me the base to be more selective in recuritment for this next five years as we can progress players into players leaving or find outstanding upgrades.

30 minutes ago, rich ruzzian said:

Really splashed the cash for an upgrade. I hope for you you can keep hold on to Franca

Crazy to think I still have 20 million in the budget. I sold a couple more promising youngsters that aren’t going to make the grade for my style. Franca is a tough one. Juve bailed out when I asked for 60 million. 

2 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

Wow, what players and what spending!

It was time my friend it was time. 

6 hours ago, SixPointer said:

This is the level needed if we are to keep closing the gap to the elite clubs

As you can imagine, I will be watching with great interest :lol:. Hope the strategy works for you - some great signings there, and should definitely help you push on again.

10 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Not yet for Jester in Germany......scrounging couch cushions to pay agents fees for Free Transfers!

His time will come my friend.

10 hours ago, warlock said:

As you can imagine, I will be watching with great interest :lol:. Hope the strategy works for you - some great signings there, and should definitely help you push on again.

Seimen was planned for a long time. The other two purely came from being on the transfer list. The pivots are so crucial with there only being two men in the middle. So I feel now I have two complete players.

Rodriguez will feel hard done by, but there is no reason himself and Martinez can’t push them! 

8 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Great work in the transfer market, real strength in depth now especially in the central midfield area.

Should give me a good base for the next 5 years now. Shouldn’t be to much upheaval from now on! One in one out

Header.thumb.png.aa08478ce8243e1ac5b4bcac6d152d91.png

Not all that glitters is gold

As we approach January I feel it's time to update, I had considered doing a full season update which may become the norm.

I've recently found out I am going to Angola for work in October which leaves me this month to try and finish this challenge. Again writing will suffer.

9ad14c9bdf819efbc9a02318a7378e56.png

The final days of the window were quiet on the incoming, only Amadou N'Diaye arrived from SV Ried for 10 million euros, the left wing back will link up once again with Franz and provide competition to Joao Paulo.

That deal took the spending to 215 million euros with only Bayern outspending us, pressure was on for Franz to deliver but he assured the board that it was needed in order to take the club into his hands and deliver his 5 year plan.

Outgoing many squad players, or potential players have been moved on and raised good money, most of which never suited Franz DNA.

01edff746361006d3468830670cd583f.png

Pre season was perfect, and the first trophy of the season was bagged on the back of it. A 1-0 win in the Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira, Seimen impressed on debut and Granelli with his new number 7 jersey bagged the winner.

8133fe69e7cda8b2a7c2d4c4240713b4.png

Two games into the league season and Franz tasted defeat for the first time in the league since arriving in Lisbon. Seimen decided he would have a disastrous game and chucked two in, world class my A**.

Luckily it was followed up by a hugely important win in the Lisbon derby, and had been preceded by a 5-0 win. Not the start Franz had in mind but all good things must come to an end.

a84e8f64ed0818d376d515e1b967ab0d.png

The champions league was drawn and remarkably we are up against the four best teams from Spain. Real and Barcelona are the big hitters but I would like to think we can beat anyone on our day at this level, the challenge is making sure we are on it.

Standard Liege won the belgian title after Franz left, showing he left his mark in Liege, it will be a very sentimental return back to Belgium for the Austrian that had a very successful spell there. Roger Schmidt would also return to a former club when Villarreal arrived back in Lisbon.

4fcc9564367b6fc1914fed27defa9bd1.png

September was Giovane's time to shine, scoring three out of four games. Vitoria had started the season well, Rennes couldn't recover from our quick start and Farense almost held on for a point. Results are there but Franz wasn't happy with performances.

Dennis Siemen saved a penalty to help keep it 0-0 in Porto, securing a point from a match where both teams gave up big chances but looked more worried about losing than winning in truth.

de02ea63b3f83f4da013503e56d2e646.png

Real Madrid hammered us at the Bernabeu, a statement from arguably the world's biggest club that you can spend lots of money on shiney new players but you still have work to do.

The rest of the month Franz got the reaction he wanted, winning five from five, scoring eighteen goals and conceding one, things looked like they had finally started to click and no more so was it apparent against Villareal in the best performance of the season so far.

1d8abcc1568065f1c130183a86cb8321.png

Dominating the ball against Roger Schmdits high pressing side is not an easy task, but Franz Schemier's Benfica made it look easy. With 60% possession with a fantastics passing shape, the pivots formed a nice box in midfield and created lots of options and diamonds.

Hidalgo finally put us ahead after countless chances, a quick counter after winning the ball on the halfway line allowed us to exploit the space in behind, great time to score just before the break.

Lavia got his first goal for the club arriving on the end of a cutback, it's been a slow start for the Belgian, injury hampered his first month of the season, ive switched him up to an attack duty and asked him to dribble more to try to utilise his qualities.

Granelli finished well from a Hidalgo cutback, the young italian has been in inspired form and is the main striker this year. A goal from nothing for Pino was the only blemish on a super result and performance.

1162ebfdcc37ff87908757841a6299a6.png

The visit from Shakhtar showed the best and worst of Benfica this year, four good goals scored and four avoidable goals conceded. At this point I have dropped my defensive line and added drop off more as we keep getting punished in behind.

Two wins on the domestic front as we remain in the battle for all three major domestic trophies, however Atletico further dented our european aspiration as we visited the spanish capital and came home empty handed in a lacklustre performance.

a869fa1977116d4c2a6adad8ea213744.png

More dropped points in the league at Arounca, but again Franz gets the required response. four wins on the spin, scoring nineteen goals in the process. The last coming against the @Dong21 Estrela project who were promoted last season.

Two wins in the cup sets up a sith round tie in the FA Cup with Porto and a Semi final with Porto in the league cup. Winners of each tie would go on to be heavy favourites in both cups.

76af5f120f6fdb2e793daf489c4d597d.png

The result of the season coming against heavyweight giants Barcelona. Allowing Barcelona the ball in their own half proved to be the Catalyst for the win, allowing us to break in behind regularly.

Away trips to Liege and Glasgow to face Standard and Celtic to decide our fate. The way the table sits it's all in the balance, on paper it should be six points and hopefully automatic qualification, but games aren't won on paper and Standard provides an emotional tie.

ee74d3fcf2621f4ca480587b5f2f8885.png

It's not going all Franz way this year in the league, trailing the unbeaten Braga by three points, and two points off the pace of Porto. Defensively we are solid but goals scored have tailed off slightly in terms of how far in front we were last year. Work to be done

Next month looks make or break, Braga up first, two champions league ties and Porto in the FA Cup.

9d02ae72500d3bf2141a4058558a7d20.png

The shining light of the season so far Granelli is recognised, the 20 year old wonderkid has been phenomenal spearheading the attack in the false 9 role, he was recently capped for Italy and scored on his debut, He was rewarded with a new bumper deal to fend of any potential interest, as Franz looks to build his frontline around him.

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

Next month looks make or break

Big month for sure, and Braga the biggest fixture. That's a tight little Top 3 and not much room for mistakes.

Looking okay in Europe, even if you have to play the extra round.

Good luck!

18 hours ago, warlock said:

Big month for sure, and Braga the biggest fixture. That's a tight little Top 3 and not much room for mistakes.

Looking okay in Europe, even if you have to play the extra round.

Good luck!

It’s certainly a lot tighter than last year! Two big games in Europe. Need to at least match last year 

Header.thumb.png.90ef188bc34c3a784a1f4c0d0cffce36.png

We're getting into the thick of it

A quick fire update on January and February before the final push to the end of the season, time is really against Franz and his quest. This time ive added some depth as its a slow day at work and it feels needed!

4a5feb60fc6bbe585590ad39c2d89e9c.png

Extremely quiet window, the bulk of the work is done on the squad and Franz can be more selective with recruitment and pick his moments.

Josh Doig arrives on loan as cover, Joao Paulo has real issues with injuries so Josh will add much needed depth at LWB. Ndiaye has settled well but again he picks up knocks and it hampers the balance of the side.

The big deal of the window, Meckaroski to Arsenal, 45 million release clause activated which left benfica powerless. In all truth he certainly has all the potential of a eilte class player and in the first season he showed real glimpses of it, this year he's struggled for consistency and lost his place in the side.

A lot of money for Arsenal to part with and it takes in a huge profit for the club, bought for 9 and sold for 45 a massive 36 million in profit. The first real Franz money spinner at Benfica with Estêvão Palmeirim ready to fill the void instantly makes even more sense. The academy graduate hit two in the very next game and looks more than capable of being a Benfica striker for years to come.

ff16b574b9f1242bebf4258b69827474.jpg

Our league form really kicked off, again after a poor result the response is perfect.

Held to a 0-0 against Braga really dents the title hopes yet again, but a switch to a cover role instead of stopper in the middle of defence, dropping off more and the inspired form of Dennis Seimen sent us on a run of eight games without conceding a goal. In Fact over the whole ten games in the league we conceded just three goals and scored thirty six.

cd12bde650980058b3373a6bc21b774c.png

Thrasing our city rivals Sporting CP 4-0 the highlight in the league.

Looking at the passing shape, you can see how perfect Granelli has become at dropping into midfield. The young italian has found the net 22 times this season, but he has also added 7 assists, something he never did all last season.

Adding the trait comes deep to get the ball, and gets into oppositions area has unlocked a unique movement, he comes deep links play then arrives late in the box unmarked more often than not, its proving to be lethal.

66a32768dcd6eb5b1b1a2f4b40893599.png

Franz returned to Liege and came away from the Belgian champions with all three points in a tough fought 1-0 win.

Lavia's goal fitting to win any match, Granny dropping deep linking play with the Fonseca, then spreading it, Paulo and Palmeirim linking on the flank and Lavia attacking the space and then delightfully finishing, a masterpiece.

He was welcomed with huge applause and admiration from the home crowd, testament to what he did at the club, delivering their first league title in over 18 years, and league and cup double. The club has continued on his path winning another league and cup double since he left, the fans appreciate he set about the foundations to their continued success.

A 3-2 win against Celtic was enough for us to quaifiy for the round of 16, The draw has thrown up a massive tie as we draw none other than Porto! 

Speaking of Porto we beat them 1-0 in the Taca de Portugal and 3-0 in the Taca de League to advance on all fronts, these cup wins are all well but two legs will offer another dimension.

03355c484ec09feb75ae89ca39cd9d97.png

The league is really heating up, Braga have maintained their unbeaten record and lead us by three points, we lead Porto by three but they have three games in hand and are in phenomenal form in the league.

All three clubs have built their season on solid foundations at the back, just 14 goals conceded from Braga is impressive in itself but Benfica at 9 and Porto at an incredible 7 is testament to all three clubs. All three look up for the fight but right now you would say Porto are favourites although it's always better to have the points on the board no matter what sort of form you're in.

Next up in the league. A true SixPointer against Porto! We’re going to be sick of the sight of them this year.

Edited by SixPointer

1 hour ago, Carambau said:

What a season so far! Porto with 3 games in hand :eek: Braga being consistent:eek: Sporting already so far behind:eek: And Famalicao in 6th...? Wow!! Good luck for the SixPointer against Porto :) 

Thanks bud. It’s kicking off!! I just played the six pointer and I feel like doing an update on the game on its own. It had everything!!! Unfortunately time is money but I’ll cover it in my next big update for sure 

2 hours ago, warlock said:

I know that feeling :lol:.

All bubbling up nicely - could be a legendary season :thup:

I’m actually going to do it month by month I think. That month just there was madness!! 

19 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

Seeing Estrela in the top 6 reminds me of @Dong21's thread.

Good luck with the league you have quite a fight on your hands.

They are flying after coming up last season!

29 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

An exciting few months ahead, but impressive in every format at the moment. Braga are doing incredibly well, but they must be due a dip at some point that might give you the opportunity to fight them off. But that still leaves Porto. A real three-way battle it would seem.

Carnage has presumed! We’ve played Porto more times than I care to remember recently!

I kinda hope Braga hang on in there until the bitter end. They deserve it.

Header.thumb.png.7c81acb90782367875fd4b3631f6f593.png

March Madness

The significance of the month and how it played out has led me back to another monthly update, ohh how i miss those days, writing with depth and detail providing insight!

f6c6c728da85f88ffed5ef4dea3c399f.png

A hectic month with it all to play for, the three matches against Porto are of huge importance and by the end of the month we will have played each other six times this season.

However, becoming complacent in the other three league games is not an option as our title challenge hangs in the balance, it's so crucial. Throw in a first leg semi final in the Taca de Portugal and you have one hell of a month.

2c95d2cb3c89ee9ec46bea0eafec548b.png

What a game! Coming out on top on this one really boosts the title hopes, billed as a SixPointer and boy was it.

Taking an early lead through a corner, with mr consistent (Lucas) getting on the end of a Morato flick on. Franca finished excellently after some nice link up play from Lavia and Hidalgo. When Hidalgo smashed home a wonder freekick the Estádio da Luz was in dreamland.

Aaron Garcia decided enough was enough and decided a two foot lunge was necessary, after that you would presume Befica would cruise to victory. The polar opposite, the sending off galvanised the visitors, Benfica perhaps complacent allowed to goals in the last ten minutes and in the end battled it out to hold onto their victory.

It was the perfect way to celebrate 400 games in management, with a very stressful last ten minutes.....

3cb2684f7cad8336fc6c869eb61f3741.png

A most impressive goalkeeping performance from Jamie Sinisterra ensured his side held on to a 0-0 draw in the first leg of the Taca de Portugal. While our XG was scored at 1.91 he still pulled off 10 saves, and walked away with a man of the match award.

422f127747b2faa2a750e7e6e5e9869f.png

A massive 1-0 win over Moreirense, we almost got complacent, missing a huge amount of chances, Franca coming off the bench to rescue the three points. I chose to rest the team, and luckily enough it worked out.

The other 1-0 went Braga's way in a huge result in Porto, this puts Braga top of the pile by three points. Porto have went from 12 games unbeaten to losing two on the bounce to their closest title rivals. Winning their two games in hand would still level us, so its advantage Braga at this point.

c70cbb7b4d63ace3a3f67863e27c2588.png

The away leg was always going to be a test, but it became an uphill battle when Matheus Franca took matters into his own hands 11 minutes after getting sent off for halfing Montiel in two.

Dropping into a 3-4-1-1 shape managed to stem the flow of Porto pressure but we sacrificed everything in terms of being a threat. Seimen held on in there for us, and the boys restricted Porto to very little. Unfortunately we were undone at a corner that came back of the post and Porto took a 1-0 lead into the second leg.

c75f8ee54bcd8578d5edf20dbd6a1c47.png

A convincing 5-1 against Tondela was exactly what the doctor ordered to get back to winning ways. Passing the ball for fun and scoring freely sadly a penalty cost us our clean sheet.

I opted to play a mixed side, the thinking was to regain some confidence in players and boost their form going into the second leg of the UCL, but also making sure match sharpness was there to give me the best choice for selection. Making subs at key times was crucial to keep players fresh.

d8a910e5a27fa516a5c4b1d6bf0ecee4.png

ab1633379d8d695123c8f4dabc29985d.png

A resounding 4-0 win crushing our fellow countrymen hopes of European Glory.

Sérgio Conceição claimed Porto were awful and it has been a tough month for the Portuguese legend but for me it was more about Benfica being good than Porto awful.

Lavia got the ball rolling, as he arrived late to lash home a Granelli cutback, the Belgian is really starting to settle in Lisbon and forming strong partnership with Danilo. 16 minutes in and the tie was turned on its head, Doig who had his best game in a Benfica shirt whipped superb cross to be headed home by Granelli.

Leites was up next, the uruguayan wonderkid has kicked on since the Mecka departure and is starting to realise his potential, heading home from the other side of the pitch this time. Another who is beginning to answer Franz 'call is Estêvão Palmeirim who sealed the fourth with a nice touch and finish in the six yard box.

311e954cdd1a0e152b5966b55440250c.gif

Estêvão Palmeirim was at it again in the 4-2 win over Estoril Praia, a snap volley was the pick of his brace.

A nice way to round off a great month, bounced back to qualify in the Uefa Champions League and got rewarded with a tie against Juventus, hopefully we can out do the old lady this time around. We held our own on the domestic front and now only sit one point behind Braga and six points ahead of Porto, who do have two games in hand. So it's all to play for.

Edited by SixPointer

Benefica might be in trouble after losing that game in Porto's hand and 3 points behind Sporting Braga. Did you focus too much on Champions League.

Schalke04 is playing a Friendly against Benefica in my game world. I expect to lose.

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Benefica might be in trouble after losing that game in Porto's hand and 3 points behind Sporting Braga. Did you focus too much on Champions League.

Schalke04 is playing a Friendly against Benefica in my game world. I expect to lose.

The game I lost was the first leg of the champions league dude. We’re all good in the hood. 

1 hour ago, lfds89 said:

Who have you got left to play?

Surely Braga can't go a full season without losing, right? Quite impressive from them, nonetheless.

Eh I’ll need to look after work. I still have Braga for sure because it’s after the second leg with Juve, going to be demanding that!

Those games in hand for FC Porto could put them right back in it, but points on the board are always better. As you say, Braga are really capable of an undefeated season and perhaps do deserve the title, but the pressure might get to them. Hard for you to juggle the league challenge and push strong against Juventus, but I have every confidence in you.

7 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Those games in hand for FC Porto could put them right back in it, but points on the board are always better. As you say, Braga are really capable of an undefeated season and perhaps do deserve the title, but the pressure might get to them. Hard for you to juggle the league challenge and push strong against Juventus, but I have every confidence in you.

The fixtures next month are even more crazy than last month now. We have Juve twice then Braga in the league, the FA cup semi final second leg, the league cup final all  crammed in together each game 3/4 days apart. A real test on the Squad.

I should get it played today then written up. 

4 hours ago, SixPointer said:

The fixtures next month are even more crazy than last month now. We have Juve twice then Braga in the league, the FA cup semi final second leg, the league cup final all  crammed in together each game 3/4 days apart. A real test on the Squad.

I should get it played today then written up. 

Just a quiet day then!

Header.thumb.png.7560eb65235f1424fecc60495aca0453.png

Its the hope that kills you

As it stands Franz and Benfica are fighting on four fronts, Taca de Liga final secured, Taca de Portugal semi final underway, Uefa Champions league quarter final and the ongoing three way battle for the league title with Braga and Porto.

Taca De Liga Final

aebe026da921750c3ddb7df31c884d3e.png

Back to back League cup titles for Benfica, while these don't count towards any of the required trophies for the stage it's always nice to win them, in fact at Benfica it's expected.

4-0 looked extremely convincing and while we were the better side, Seimen did have work to do and came up with big saves when it mattered most. Portimonense will feel like they gave their all and that's all that can be asked, the gulf in power between the clubs always plays its part.

Giovane headed home the opener from a Joao Paulo cross to the back post, Lavia then produced some nice work in the box to square for Granelli to tap home, then Lucas headed home at the back post from a corner and Hidalgo rounded off the scoring with an empathic finish into the far corner.

Taca de Portugal Semi & Final

9fb0c4ff2bf678fa13e33559d45dd76e.png

Vitória de Guimarães are knocked out, 4-1 again the scoreline flatters us slightly.

This time Sinisterra couldn't replicate his form from the first leg and his defence didn't offer him much help in doing so. Palmeirim gets across the front post to head home a whipped cross from Walter Cacerers, the young argentine is starting to settle in lisbon.

Granelli was on hand to knock in a rebound inside the box, Morato knocked in at the near post from corner a Franz special, Gio with the final nail in the coffin with a volley smashed from inside the box after some scrappy defending.

61002da5f77ca3afc0f025a8e8700d4d.png

Both teams came into the final in good form, but in the end it became a non-event and Benfica ran away with it.

Unfortunately the ref sent off Berten on the 8 minute mark, personally i felt he was hard done by and it was a soft red. From the first angle i would say soft perhaps the second angle i agree with the ref, either way it allowed the traffic to flow one way only.

Lavia picked out Hidalgo's run in behind and the pacy hitman did the rest, a phenomenal return this year with 50 direct goal involvements (he takes set plays). He put the game beyond any doubt to secure Benfica domestic cup double, he waltzed right through the defence and picked his spot.

Liga Portugal Bwin

57b12524ddf22ec2ffbde806f0385da3.png

4105b2bf4e8157400cc700cc7e60365b.png

April brought about some changes in the league Porto lost and Braga drew again, this made it advantage Benfica.

The fixtures however threw up a huge table toppping SixPointer, Benfica at home to the unbeaten Braga. Now Benfica haven't lost a home league game under Franz, they also have only lost three home games in the last six seasons. you have to have the Eagles down as huge favourites.

4c086760cfed528ffc028f9451f357bc.png

The pendulum swung towards the north west of Portugal and took the unbeaten Braga, who now look like huge title favourites with four games to play.

Tiago Tomas has been their talsman again this year, two seasons with over 25 league goals is superb since he returned back to his homeland after a failed move to Galatasaray. He hit goals either side of half time to steer his club to the top of the league.

The first is slack defending down our left hand side, allowing a simple cross, then Seimen and Andric dont deal with it. The second isn't much different, coming from the opposite side, again Seimen was left wanting at his near post. In the end our poor defending cost us a game which we took charge of.

In even more bad news Matehus Franxa broke his lower leg and would spend the next six months on the sidelines.

75caf69412933691d65a4b4e976fbfc8.png

The final day of the season, we rallied after our defeat to Braga to win every game bar that one against Braga in the last two months of the season. We needed Casa Pia to pull off a miracle win for us, as our head to head record with Braga a draw wouldn't be enough, we also need to hold up our end of the bargain.

242595270a6be77ed681c47ff8b7e15c.png

Boy did we leave it late........

dec400de2defe3ab92588f626b782481.gif

Did Luca Zidane just hand Benfica the title, passing the ball straight to Granelli who did not look a gift horse in the mouth...............

0c5a08bdbe390bd1108cc198332c13af.png

2b0e728f1d02522bd14e83db6f1c194e.png

It wasn't to be, Braga won their first ever title which is remarkable and something I wasn't actually aware of. Only Bovaistae and Beleneses have won a singular title each out with the big three in Portugal. Until now.. Well done Braga.

It's a tough one to take and it shows the fine margins in this league, 88 points scoring and incredible 103 goals and conceded only 20. However two defeats and four draws wasn't good enough and the winners of the last two titles have done it unbeaten, the standard has been set.

Uefa Champions League

Franz Schiemer would take control of his 100th Benfica game against Juventus in the quarter final, in front of a sell out Estádio da Luz . He would do it with a bit of an injury crisis on his hands, so many players carry little knocks, not ideal.

Benfica look for revenge after Juve knocked them out last season, it will be a good marker to see if his side have progressed.

ba2b31c68adbf303323801d729afd7cb.png

33ccdae4562d0fa47e8fc1af3c3af0db.png

Well its advantage Benfica, taking a slender 1-0 lead to turin, albeit heading there in better shape than last year.

Far from a classic, but we definitely were the better side dominating for large spells. I thought we had passed up our chance until the subs Palm and Hidalgo combined to roll it in on the goaline.

62e35e5964d5dae610ef33469fae45b9.png

f1835e2954005973996c8081f97846bd.png

Mission accomplished....

If the first leg wasn't a classic the second leg would be a complete snooze fest. Our high press restricted them to deep possession, in fact our high line on the ball made it feel like a home match. So I think the better side advances, the old lady is dumped out and the eagles soar into the semi final, to face Paris Saint-Germain.

e17b934515d0ed57a9bbca7f22e8859c.png

a696a7fdc4b277920b2db42a1524a214.png

Never has such a good result felt so underwhelming.

We bossed a PSG side missing there star man Kylian Mbappé who will miss both legs which we know the pain as we also have Franca out. Odegaard was depolyed in a DLF role which i felt played right into our hands, the middle CB became a stopper role and man marked him, following him into midfield and denying him space to dictate the game.

However it was Donnarumma who stepped up for his side, the Italian stopper getting the better of his fellow countryman Granelli on so many occasions. Our goal was very well worked and leaving him very little chance to stop it, Lavia and Granelli linking nicely in the midfield to pull the defence out of shape to allow the space for Giovane to exploit and then finish well. The other side of the coin, the goal we concede comes from a corner, my pet hate and something we have been caught with one or two many times this year.

ccc307a99ce421aa1e2d52b51cd285a6.png

10 minutes into the second leg and PSG are infront, Reyna finds himself unmarked on the edge if the area, after Dias and Dego are sucked in to the PSG overload.

Again we looked the better side and controlled the game, but it looked as if we would crash out in Paris, step up club captain Morato who finally broke through Donnaruma, with a touch and finish the strikers would have been proud of.

Extra time came and went and it would be settled by a dreaded penalty shootout......... Palmeirim missed our first, Zaire-Emrey missed their third and sudden death would decide it, we got to the eighth round of penalties.

5a5132698ae7ff46145e09e55c23b8b9.gif

Raheem Sterling stepped up...... Denis Seimen was equal to it

4ed883d2156d50e7f1bbbc9af3215598.gif

Walter Caceres had the chance to put his name in the headlines, and the young Argentine does just that, keeping his nerve and firing down the middle!

Sport Lisboa e Benfica are in the champions league final, for the first time since 1990. They will face Arsenal who were runners up in 2006. Benfica won and retained the title in the early 1960’s, can they break the curse of then manager Béla Guttmann.