[FM23] & [FM24] Ernst Happel Challenge - If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again

SixPointer

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Header1.thumb.jpg.95fe9076d8e26886b3131583fbc09b10.jpg

The lights are on but no ones home

Here comes the end of the season write up. I apologise in advance, especially to those who joined me in this journey for my usual tactical depth. I'm simply running out of time to complete this mammoth task and it's the writing that's going to suffer at times, this is one of these times.

41ce15a37f3537d3100c892c90c938a4.png

Back to back league titles in Liege, in the end it was quite the anti climax. As in the 38th game of the season Club Brugge beat Gent and handed us the title before a huge classic derby with anderlecht which I had hoped would provide us with the title.

Our results in the championship group started really well, two good home wins then a massive win in the classic against anderlecht in brussels. Stoisa rescued a point at home to Club Brugge, before an incredible win at Gent. Our second defeat of the season was dished out by OH Leuven before another late goal saved us against Oostende. 

With the title wrapped up i had considered playing the kids against Anderlecht, but i wanted to keep our unbeaten home record in turned out not to be the case, big Seb cost us the opener then got us back in it, but then a red card for us killed it and the record is up in smoke. I played the kids, before one last run out for the big guns in the last game.

3841c73adce6dae1c00e65c99b44cf40.png

Five points in the end, with three of our four defeats coming in the championship group. 90 goals in 40 games with only 24 conceded is a sublime return, especially when you consider the personal changes in the winter window.

Of course we scored from the most corners, 16 with the next best being 9! we also never conceded any, it makes the effort all worth it.

708ae24c7a3effc8f7e070067cac2171.png

No treble this season, as Genk won the Belgian cup, however Franz does enter the hall of fame into 8th place. Austria is still light years away from the greatest manager from his nation, none other than Ernst Happel himself, which brought about another kick up the backside to speed up.

The champions league was of course a high point this year, biggest overachievers in the competition shows just how much of a mark we made. We will be back next year, and now with the domestic title covered for this stage a chance to really go balls to the wall for the greatest prize in club football?

58c492299769efd2d1afb0ab874821d4.png

We have been given a budget that if spent correctly could take us onto the next level, the club is now ready to take that step. The debt is cleared, the stadium is being expanded, yes I crave realism but sometimes teams come up like this to break the mould, it is now Standard Liege's time. The last time a Belgian club went close was 1977/78 Club Brugge in the final against liverpool.

b3c48ffc37654571cbdc08879034712a.png

In terms of the challenge the next stage four is now open, then the only issue being the only clubs I have had interest from at this stage are from four star leagues. Villarreal is a job linked with, and Gladbach offered me an interview, these are both off limits.

The second issue I have is with the need to win the champions league. I feel the next move has to be to either the big three in Portugal or Ajax.

I think right now Standard is in a better place than Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven. Ajax got to the UCL semi and won the league by a country mile so it won't be them. Porto and Benfica had good seasons, my hope was a 4th place finish for Sporting CP would have seen Rúben Amorim lose his job so far not the case.

2 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Well done on maintaining the high Standard of previous years

I see what you done there :brock: 

In all truth I’m ready for a move I started writing out some squad plans, and transfer stuff. But Im thinking tomorrow when I get back on the game I could well look to move on. 

15 minutes ago, SixPointer said:

I see what you done there :brock: 

In all truth I’m ready for a move I started writing out some squad plans, and transfer stuff. But Im thinking tomorrow when I get back on the game I could well look to move on. 

I think you have earned that new challenge. 

23 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Congrats on the league win and hope you find yourself that job that both encapsulates your passion for playing and writing! Maybe, just maybe, you might finish this thing! ;) 

Thanks dude! 

On 13/08/2023 at 00:24, Jogo Bonito said:

I think you have earned that new challenge. 

big update the night!

5664044a87069664e21386e84d8c5804.png

Well after a lot of consideration Franz decided it was time for a new challenge, he leaves Standard Liege in a far better position than he found them having secured back to back league titles.

A risk to resign but it allowed him to take the plunge into the managerial merry go round.

Napoli was the first to show an interest in the Austrian, having just won the Champions league with Zidane who has joined Arsenal this would of course be appealing, unfortunately they are off limits.

Atheltico Madrid and Villarreal would all fall into this category, the latter would play a huge part in Franz's future. With my preferred destination being portugal it was good news to see the national manager quit and leave the door open for Armiron to leave Sporting CP.

Rodgers went to Atletico, Galtier to Napoli which then made PSG interested, then the big one Schmidt went to Villarreal which opened the door to Benfia.

cabcf1d4d2ed82f62a965d3c5e2707e5.png

Stage four is underway, and the final aim will be winning the UCL!

5 hours ago, warlock said:

An excellent choice :cool:. And ultimately, the same challenge I'm facing: win the Champions League.

Good luck :thup:

The curse breaking team!

4 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Great move! Portugal, in my save, has taken a turn and the 'big 3' have been joined by Estrela da Amadora and Famalicao but, of course, Benfica have a team full of talent! I think you'll do really well there.

Thanks bud, it’s a funny one tbh they have a few aging players it not the Benfica I would have expected to be honest. I’m not sure if I should be ruthless from the outset or slowly pick away at the squad. I think the latter is a safer option. Only bring in absolute needs. 

3 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

Nice choice of team. Good luck

3 hours ago, keeper#1 said:

Benfica is the perfect club for this stage of the save.

Thanks lads 👍🏻 to be honest I fancied sporting cp more, a change of colour from red would have been appreciated but beggars can’t be choosers and benfica have a great history with the UCL

Just caught up on the save! Huge congratulations with what you did in Belgium and hope Benfica don't let you down in that quest for the UCL. Gonna take any of your Liege players over?

10 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Thanks bud, it’s a funny one tbh they have a few aging players it not the Benfica I would have expected to be honest. I’m not sure if I should be ruthless from the outset or slowly pick away at the squad. I think the latter is a safer option. Only bring in absolute needs. 

Seems to be how the AI squad build, sadly. Keep an eye out for their Ukrainian/Portuguese lads as they always seem to have some stars in that mould!

With how you recruit, and your ability to make your players better, I’d stick to a slower build - using that inevitable Champions League windfall to raise the ceiling of your spending. I’m interested to see how you do recruit too, knowing your desires for realism and how Portugal - as a whole - tends to dig pretty deep into the South American market with the goal of future profits. 

10 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

winning a European trophy may still take some time

This is what I'm finding - seems like every season you need (or are forced) to sell two or three of your best players. With the talent coming through the youth system it's pretty easy to dominate in the domestic league (and even the Champions League group stage) but extremely difficult to put together a squad capable of competing with the best in Europe.

Makes for an interesting challenge, though :)

Lose one, find one. That's the Portuguese clubs philosophy. And Benfica do it better than most.

I was lucky when I managed them, Joao Felix was there and quite a few of the others in my squad have since gone on to much bigger and better things.

Good luck to you both in 'breaking the curse'.

6 hours ago, Lestri said:

Just caught up on the save! Huge congratulations with what you did in Belgium and hope Benfica don't let you down in that quest for the UCL. Gonna take any of your Liege players over?

Emm, I don’t think anyone except Raskin would really make sense. The positions I need and the cost of the Standard players aren’t really fitting with my plan. But there may just be a couple of familiar faces.

5 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Seems to be how the AI squad build, sadly. Keep an eye out for their Ukrainian/Portuguese lads as they always seem to have some stars in that mould!

With how you recruit, and your ability to make your players better, I’d stick to a slower build - using that inevitable Champions League windfall to raise the ceiling of your spending. I’m interested to see how you do recruit too, knowing your desires for realism and how Portugal - as a whole - tends to dig pretty deep into the South American market with the goal of future profits. 

Today I’ve had a chances to really evaluate the squad and there is much work to be done so it’s most likely a slow build, plus like you said the way I’ve recruited previously it makes sense to find players I can improve.

South America will definitely be area of interest the only issue is the leagues on loaded when I joined Standard so you get some funny attribute make ups which can put me off tbh.

5 hours ago, warlock said:

This is what I'm finding - seems like every season you need (or are forced) to sell two or three of your best players. With the talent coming through the youth system it's pretty easy to dominate in the domestic league (and even the Champions League group stage) but extremely difficult to put together a squad capable of competing with the best in Europe.

Makes for an interesting challenge, though :)

I think this is what is exciting me most. I have three league titles to win and a UCL within some point of that. So with my vision I’m planning to build a team capable in three years time that’s how I need to look at my recruitment. The catch is still winning the leagues. Porto are champions which means there is still work to be done there. 

3 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Lose one, find one. That's the Portuguese clubs philosophy. And Benfica do it better than most.

I was lucky when I managed them, Joao Felix was there and quite a few of the others in my squad have since gone on to much bigger and better things.

Good luck to you both in 'breaking the curse'.

Benfica arguably the best club in the world for this cycle! 

1 hour ago, lfds89 said:

Good luck with this new adventure. UCL isn't easy for a Portuguese team. Let's see who gets there first you or @warlock. Just messing with you guys! :D

I fully expect Warlock to win any such race. If got a fair bit of work to be done!

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

14 seconds into our first league game

:applause:

I see you still have Aursnes - mind telling me what you're paying the mercenary bas...ket? He was one of my favourites until he betrayed me.

1 hour ago, warlock said:

:applause:

I see you still have Aursnes - mind telling me what you're paying the mercenary bas...ket? He was one of my favourites until he betrayed me.

I’ll have a look tomorrow, to be honest it’s his last year he’s 32 now but I need him while a get a few younger bodies up to speed. 

Header.thumb.jpg.5a48d9d49b9e83db1bd5bdecaad7fb33.jpg

Hit the ground running

Welcome to the first update from Portugal, Lisbon.... Benfica.

A brief intro. In the game time Benfica have only won one title, not last year but the year before that, all other titles since the start of the save have been won by Porto.

They have won two Allianz cups and one Taca De Portugal, so not all doom and gloom and despite Porto's dominance Benfica still hold the record for most wins in all three.

In terms of the squad inherited by Franz Schiemer it is rather aging. Livakovic (33), Sabitzer (34) Aursens (32) Dembele (32) Mctominay (31) and Summer arrival Julian Brandt (32) this is not to say experience is vital because of course it is, but a real lack of young pedigree was a concern.

Joao Fonesca (22) Rui Mendes (18) and Andre Gomes (23) represented the youthful side. Arismendi (29), Rosas (28), Lino (28)  Morato (27), Bullade (27), Balogun (27) And Frances (26) represented the players in their prime. 

Certainly a team that should push Porto but naturally I wanted to add and replace a few, a few more than I really wanted to. 38 players left the club, they do have a huge pool as they have four teams, B, 23's and 19's and 12 arrived.

8f789f6771921b361351ccc23e10f09f.jpg

Franz generated 145 million euros, as Ait-Nouri had already sold before he arrived, which left the club without a recognised LWB. Arismendi, Rosas and Lino represent players he didn't want to let go of but the money was too good to refuse.

The rest were players below the required standard, Demeble at 32 it was the last chance to get reasonable money for.

1cbb2bcefaabf645b055c1392fe65a11.png

Franz was like a kid in a sweetshop with his funding, although only a 103 million was himself, not all arriving this window either some loaned backd and Julian Brandt had arrived already for 32 million before he arrived, a frustrating signing for Franz to begin with, 32 AMC or Winger not something Franz is famed for deploying.

First on the agenda was solving the issues at LWB, Joao Paulo arrived for 6.2 million after we activated his release clause at Zagreb, he has everything except determination, something i consider very important but was willing to turn a blind eye in this case. Barco at Boca had the exact same problem but at 7 million it covered the left flank for under 20 million.

Next was adding some pedigree into the pivot, three players plus 30 need some young competition. The arrivals of Martinez (20) and Rodriguez (19) for 10 million each will provide us exactly that. Martinez is a battler and Rodriguez a creative force, both will need time but i'm hoping they eventually form a partnership.

791306251ba5220677e0d0cdbf21d2a6.jpg

Aleksandar Meckaroski for 9 million again from Dinamo Zagreb is someone who typifes as a Franz Schiemer signing, he was brough Benfica to replace Demeble and if he makes the step up and improves which so many Franz signings do he could be an inspired piece of business. He has been on my radar since, Rauta left for Real Madrid with last January.

Another forward needing replacing was Sam Lino, who I had really high hopes for after the first friendly in charge. Santiago Hidalgo would come in to offer us even more explosive pace and with a left foot this time, again he came up at Standard when looking at Rauta replacements. A pacy goalscorer sounds good to me, he hit 10 league goals last year in Mexico, so a big step up required.

A familiar face in Mitja Ilenic, he joined from AS Roma at 7.5 million. Franz knows what he's getting from the young Slovenian having brought him to SV Ried so many years ago. Rosas was ofcourse much more established but in truth I couldn't find anyone else who stood out in the market.

Miloš Andrić (5.75m) is another Franz had been keeping tabs on at Standard Liege, the left footed Serbian centre back is solid defender and his ball playing skills continue to grow. I hadn't planned for his arrival until Gaspar wasn't happy being back up to club captain Morato. In the end this looks like another example of Franz's market skills.

1a1315bd7c41bad6e78176a3668b4032.jpg

After the departure of Arismendi to Real Madrid I felt I needed a marquee signing, someone who would instantly turn heads. In all truth i chased Mateusao first but he rejected terms, he was in truth a more complete forward. That said, with Brandt already arriving I had a plan and I could work Franca into that plan.

The Plan

1aa0168e5e79c52bcd9cba926303c528.png

Brandt arriving had forced me into something, but it also makes even more sense than just appeasing the German. Ive switched up the front three, now operating with double AF and F9, now the thinking is teams in the league will most likely sit off thus the space in behind that Franz craves will come at a premium.

Now I know at Standard and SV Ried teams would drop deep but not as much as I envisage here. This is also the first team i haven't had a battering ram of striker at my disposal, so i thought it would be clever to go for pace down the sides and some creation dropping. I've added low crosses and Play out from the back for the lack of a true targetman will make those direct balls null and void.

9a67a1415ad94b67794c4847f022a5ed.png

It's safe to say the bookmakers really don't fancy us to be breaking any curse anytime soon, 700/1. They see us as the weakest teams and should be worrying about getting hammered, did they watch Franz and Standard Liege last season?

It makes a little more sense when you look at the teams handed to them in their section of the league, Man City, Man United, Liverpool, PSG, Ajax who are all big hitters.

0333e47aeedf3c652b227e67d0a1ffa4.png

This is no surprise when you think of Benfica in real life you think of this, a tremendous business model and fantastic youth and scouting system. It's something I want to drive home and carry on during my time here and I think it's another reason Franz was chosen, he fits the bill.

He has already handed a young 16 year old Jose Dias his first start, breaking a record that has stood since 1997.

Big reshape of the club! Glad you've been able to come in, stamp your claim on the side but then also - somewhat realistically - have to adapt yourself to what you've found. I envisage that the Portuguese title will be Benfica's this season...

4 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Big reshape of the club! Glad you've been able to come in, stamp your claim on the side but then also - somewhat realistically - have to adapt yourself to what you've found. I envisage that the Portuguese title will be Benfica's this season...

Just now, Rikulec said:

Those big overhauls are easily the best part of taking over a new club! Best of luck at Benfica, hope you can break the curse!

In truth I never really wanted a big reshuffle, granted I had the likes of Andric, Paulo and Mecka ready to go from my Standard Liege list. But i fancied coming in and getting a feel for the club creating a list of better talent pools then taking aim. But it ended up being a case of now or never. Hopefully from now on it will be adding quality rather than quantity.

As for the tactical shape I’ll have some results and feedback in the not so distant future. 

4 hours ago, SixPointer said:

they do have a huge pool as they have four teams, B, 23's and 19's

I'll be interested to see what you do with this - I have no real idea what to do with the B team. Coach reports on good prospects seem to think the B team is a step up from the u23s but I think the opposite. In the B team they're playing against second-tier opposition, whereas in the u23s they're playing against their peers from Porto, Sporting and other top-tier clubs. But maybe I'm wrong :confused:

From the lack of titles and trophies, it sounds as though Benfica have suffered from the usual poor AI management in FM. The revolution starts here!

1 hora atrás, warlock disse:

I'll be interested to see what you do with this - I have no real idea what to do with the B team. Coach reports on good prospects seem to think the B team is a step up from the u23s but I think the opposite. In the B team they're playing against second-tier opposition, whereas in the u23s they're playing against their peers from Porto, Sporting and other top-tier clubs. But maybe I'm wrong :confused:

From the lack of titles and trophies, it sounds as though Benfica have suffered from the usual poor AI management in FM. The revolution starts here!

Speaking of the situation IRL, U23 is just a continuity from the youth system. They are still playing with players of the same age group. When you are at a B team, you play against everyone. It's a bigger world. Porto doesn't have a U23 team for instance, as they don't see value in that league. 

Nice to see you making your mark here, quite a revamp but a necessary one. Hoping it is the start of better days for Benfica.

Mateusao is an interesting name. For the last two seasons at Wacker Innsbruck his club Flamengo have accepted my loan bid of 100% wages (725 Euros per week) but each and every time he has rejected the move. In that time he has played just 10 times (probably from the bench) and scored one goal. He really could have done better for himself joining us on loan and banging in goals.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

19 hours ago, warlock said:

To be honest i have a clue what to do with it all. It’s huge scale compared to what I’m used to.

So far I’ve promoted 4 players to first team to bleed in to the side and sent the other three with real potential out on loan. It’s going to be a case of if your good enough your old enough.

17 hours ago, lfds89 said:

Speaking of the situation IRL, U23 is just a continuity from the youth system. They are still playing with players of the same age group. When you are at a B team, you play against everyone. It's a bigger world. Porto doesn't have a U23 team for instance, as they don't see value in that league. 

Makes more sense now! 

11 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Nice to see you making your mark here, quite a revamp but a necessary one. Hoping it is the start of better days for Benfica.

Mateusao is an interesting name. For the last two seasons at Wacker Innsbruck his club Flamengo have accepted my loan bid of 100% wages (725 Euros per week) but each and every time he has rejected the move. In that time he has played just 10 times (probably from the bench) and scored one goal. He really could have done better for himself joining us on loan and banging in goals.

Was a shame cause I think he woulda thrived in a front three as well. You would think in both our cases he would want the move. He clearly thinks a lot of himself. 

Header.thumb.png.6325d27cff07a33f39821fa6a3f3cd27.png

I wanna live in a dream, In my winning machine

A perfect pre season wasn't Franz's doing, he had one game Real Betis and he thrashed them 7-0. Hopefully it was a sign of things to come. It wouldn't be long before he got his first real test in Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira against Porto.

The pre-season curtain raiser would give him an idea of how his team was adjusting to his methods, set plays, balls in behind but most importantly how would the front three link up. Would the building from the back dent his quick transition football, all of this on his mind.

b9333780ef650a161d497d67926f125a.png

A first addition to the trophy haul of Franz Schiemer.

A 4-2 win, what did he learn, his team certainly has character. Taking the lead from a headed corner, before falling 2-1 behind to get back in it to take it to extra time. Joao Paulo scored a debut goal and Fonseca added a second headed corner goal.

I think it was most impressive how we countered Porto almost at our own will, 39% possession with 30 shots at goal, and 12 on target with an XG of 2.75.

70c74374086c779a91d0fa07ca59f344.png

I really dont think Franz could have dreamt up a better august if he tried.

Martitmo were smashed 7-1, the only goal conceded in the month. Brandt got a double in the F9 slot, Fonseaca and Morato got on the end of setplays. Porto was of course a different animal although they lost their opening match, in truth a poor match but we still came out on top, our front three never clicked but Balogun snatched a winner getting in behind.

Franca hit a hat trick on his first start from the F9 slot, in a 6-0 thrashing of Moreirense. Our passing shape and build up play is really starting to click. It was more of the same against Vitoria de Guimaraes, passing shape was excellent running out 3-0 winners. Another 3-0 against Farense secured the perfect opening month.

We scored lots of good goals this month, the low crosses and cutbacks are paying off and it's something I am going to track much like set plays, the high press also is still kicking around as are the corners but goal of the month belongs to Franca for this superb volley.

b94a122fe873a0828e29a7b34a7583b1.png

Franz is flying, another perfect month and six points bagged in the champions league.

Rio Ave frustrated us and kept us at bay, the turnover and run were special for the goal without them i dont think this would have finished 1-0. The first signs of a team figuring us out and being able to disrupt our game plan.

3-2 in Amsterdam and dominating is pretty special at this stage, Ajax were semi finalists last season. Our passing was out of this world, not many teams come away on top of the possession numbers in that ground.

Balogun got in behind early on, after good work from Foneseca and Mecka.The young Macedonian was at it again, this time starting the move and finishing it. Not bad for his UCL debut, and he was done there with a final assist after Mctominays excellent pressing skills, lead to Franca grabbing the headlines with a late winner on his UCL debut.

A tough return to league action as we lacked composure but got the job done with a 2-0 win over Feirense, Brandt is adapting to the false nine role nicely and Bullade is making sure he's not forgotten about when it comes to the front six players jostling for a start.

We backed the league form up in the cup, Estoril Praia beaten 4-1, Balogun flexing his muscles with a hat trick, the competition in the front line is essential and everyone is up for the fight.

Freiburg were humbled in a 4-0 hiding, Brandt made his countrymen pay not once but twice putting them to the sword, but i was most impressed with his movement for the second goal drawing the space for Mctominay to run through and score. Mecka hit the net as well, the young Macedonian has been the most impressive player since the start of the season he really has made that step up and some.

Summary

As far as starts go I don't think I could have asked for much more, the players have adapted to the style quickly and the tweaks of low crosses, playing out from the back and the switch to the F9 are paying dividends.

Our passing shape is more cohesive and allows us to dominate the ball better which was always going to be a by-product of teams sitting off us, hence the changes. We still press high and still look to counter press and exploit the space in behind, but it's more refined now making our attacking play much more sophisticated.

The front six players are really pushing each other, so it's going to be tough to keep them all happy, the team behind them is starting to take shape, the back three is settled and the young duo in the middle grow in confidence each time they play.

Edited by SixPointer

9 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

What a start! Realistically, after seeing this, what are your ambitions for this season?

Offt, I’ve got to be looking at a clean sweep domestically, start to reign dominance. I think after next month we can talk about what the UCL looks like.

After all at Standard I had an immense league phase then got taken apart in the knock out. A few players have shocked me at how good they are performing so that’s always a huge positive especially on recruiting. 

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

As far as starts go I don't think I could have asked for much more

Magnificent! Looks like domestic dominance to me... the question, as you recognise, is what happens when you reach the knockout stages of the Champions League. Hopefully, you can keep that form going!

Glad to see Franz's Boys firing on all cylinders. Long may it last.

I decided in the end to rebuild another "Fallen Giant" after thinking about ending the save.....too many interesting teams came up not to apply.:brock:

My new team just played a match in Ernst Happel Stadium during the Training Camp in Austria.

Edited by Hootieleece

8 hours ago, warlock said:

Magnificent! Looks like domestic dominance to me... the question, as you recognise, is what happens when you reach the knockout stages of the Champions League. Hopefully, you can keep that form going!

Time will tell my friend, I’ve got some tough league phase matches which will give me a better idea of where we truly are

8 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Glad to see Franz's Boys firing on all cylinders. Long may it last.

I decided in the end to rebuild another "Fallen Giant" after thinking about ending the save.....too many interesting teams came up not to apply.:brock:

My new team just played a match in Ernst Happel Stadium during the Training Camp in Austria.

Thanks man. I’ll be sure to check out your save as well

Header.thumb.png.8d41b57ffd1eaaa71becc72b8d2c189f.png

Time flies when you're having fun

As the title suggests I've moved very quickly with the save, again I apologise for a lack of true depth to the updates but I'm really focused on putting this challenge to bed. Ill try and choose a few games to zone in on in the future.

e6a119fa943f6042c6136e2dd121d22d.png

October brought about Franz Scxheimers first tast of defeat as Benfica boss, crashing out the Taca de Portugal (FA Cup). Followed by a shock defeat in Belegrade.

Tondela was a rested side that lost but shouldn't have been an issue, and in all truth I mixed it up with the league cup which I had already won one game in but the resting never worked as Red Star took all three points.

Fortunately enough we bounced back in a tough win against Gil Vicente, leaving it late. The result of the month was no doubt the 2-0 win against our title rivals and city rivals Sporting CP which took us to 7 points clear at the top, winning ten from ten in the process.

cf4b0b79a15d6d1feb89f7c6584ef0fc.png

A valiant effort in a 2-1 defeat to City, limiting them to 0.73 XG is impressive and real positive but the scoreline shows just how clinical they really are. Joao Felix coming back to haunt his former club. Demolishing Boavista 3-0 after a the champions league is a better showing of our strength in depth, there is no reason why we should be having a european hangover.... shouldn't

But after taking apart ten men Man United in a famous 5-1 victory a euro hangover became apparent against Braga, twice leading only to finish 2-2. Franz was still learning about his sqaud and this month led him to his famous five man shortlist setup as he now has a good feel for what is required.

e1f9c55db859e099b61c362db3c87822.png

We left Hoffenheim with all three points after a superb 3-0 win in a match that both teams went all out to win. Hoffenheim pressed us high and looked to disturb our build up play, but evaded the press especially down our left side. 

4-1 victory over Chaves in the Taca da Liga ensured the fight for two domestic trophies goes on. This time around it was us doing the high pressing, nice example of it working its magic for the second goal.

It was a magnificent 7-0 at Penafiel, the boys scoring at will in a game that showed what happens when you start converting the abundance of chances you make.

Edited by SixPointer

3 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Good Work so far.....use the Champion's League losses as lessons to be learned and motivation to finish the Challenge Next Season if possible.

I have miles to go till the end of challenge bud. That’s why am speed writing. I have 4 league titles to win here and a UCL then I age another stage 

Header.thumb.png.e04b288587d5a5bf1573cc6763ce2228.png

Keep moving forward

January would prove to be a very hectic month, no fewer than eight fixtures entangled with the window transfer window being active. I had two planned signings and had not really planned for much else until.....

Alessandro Granelli arrived for 13.5 million euros from AC Milan and am shocked they allowed the 19 year old to leave at such a price. He is superb mentally with some of the best i have seen for his age, physically he is sound and technically he is also good. The plan is to improve his dribbling and shape him into a superb false 9.

Nikolay Kosev is someone Franz has been tracking for some time at 4.6million euros, the young Bulgarian international is a bargain due to being  little rough around the edges, but when deleving int him closely he has the makeup of becoming a fantastic keeper. I'm hoping he can come in and push LIvakovic instantly. Young Gomes has struggled anytime called upon and has failed to make the grade.

Both these signings had been planned for sometime and arrived at the start of the window. Both feel like Benfica signings in terms of cost and age and potential.

bd91db0d4c95933157c302421dbadfab.png

Casa Pia were brushed aside in a 5-1 drubbing, it was a shame to lose a late goal that took the gloss of an incredible performance. The clean sheet did come against Estoril Praia as we ran out 4-0 winners, with Kosev impressing between the sticks on his debut, it would be Balogun's last game for the club, but the debutant Granelli scored and looks ready!

Dropping points at home is never good, but it's definitely not acceptable against a team like Famalicao who are playing well below par. 2-2 ended up being a decent result after coming from behind, but again it questions the depth of the squad for playing two games a week.

PSG were in town and it took away any negative feelings from the previous match, Franz team meeting saying forget the result before may have worked wonders, although it didn't feel like it after 12 minutes when PSG took the lead. Mecka came on as sub and continued his record of a goal a game in the UCL, but it was the club captain Morato with a trademark header from a famous Franz corner that saw the game end 2-1.

d1a2c2597b2361eb3ab71993311593ce.png

Again squad depth becomes an issue, a 2-2 draw against Portimonense after the big European win. Granelli finishing a sweeping counter was the only real positive to take. Liverpool thrashed us 4-0 but we held our own for the first 45 at Anfield, this result meant we missed out on automatic qualification by just one point. Hertha Berlin provides us with a slightly more favourable draw than perhaps some others.

Back to winning ways in the league with a convincing 4-0 win over Maritimo, Granelli looks at home in the false 9 bagging brace and He was at it again in the cup in the 3-2 win over Braga in the Taca da Liga semi final, which sets up an all Lisbon final with Sporting CP.

11453875f1393be7e854a28b9db0942c.png

Bullaude scored on what would be his last appearance for the club, 20 million was a no brainer for a player hitting 28 that doesn't feel natural in the system, although he did a job and it was deadline day luckily enough the shortlist was ready. This takes our intake to record levels, and the money would be reinvested.

Giovane, a left footed Brazilian striker looks much more natural for the wide forward roles. the 18.5 million release clause activated after 33 direct goal involvements in 45 league games and 20 in 47 the previous year. A freekick specialist with a great first touch and movement. At 25 he is about to enter his prime in the next few years and I have a really good feeling about him.

Edited by SixPointer

2 minutes ago, warlock said:

Looks like Granelli has made an immediate impact... he'll probably be pretty good once he settles in :lol:

Nice win over PSG, too.

He is absolutely flying!! I couldn’t have imagined him starting like this. I actually planned him for next season until Balogun went.