[FM23] & [FM24] Ernst Happel Challenge - If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again

SixPointer

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Yes!! Been waiting, eagerly, to see where the game will take you. Best of luck!

Thanks mate. I had planned a southern Italian save try to battle the powerful north. But I felt I really had to give this challenge a better go! Will be more intro stuff done over the weekend! 

770665410_Theboss.jpg.761d4ab4c219cc555d9223b43a4c760f.jpg

Franz Schiemer

Franz Schiemer, Jesse Marsch’s former assistant manager at Leeds and RB Salzburg, has returned home. He was linked with a job in Ralf Rangnick’s backroom team but has opted to go back into first team management.

Schiemer came through the youth ranks at SV Ried and made his professional at just 17 years of age, he made 53 league appearances for the club. He moved to Austria Vienna then onto RB Salzburg where he finished his career. The centre back was capped 19 times for his country.

After an injury plagued career, he retired and became assistant at FC Liefering (RB Salzburg s feeder club) He then came back to SV Ried the club 20 minutes from his village and became sporting director and brief spell as caretaker manager, before joining RB Salzburg’s coaching team then onto Leeds.

Tactical Identity

This year I have opted to move away from my possession based, total football, positional play philosophy. The changes to the out of possession instructions and the work SI have done on defence football and some additional key stats has led me to a more out of possession focused style of play.

This year I aim to be more fluid tactically in the sense that I will adopt my systems to counter my opponents, using pressing traps, varied blocks, different types of build up structures and of course formations.

There will be a sense of Identity among the players, staff and fans as the importance of having a specific DNA at the club is crucial, especially the style of football we want to play. Its about being fluid within some of these key aspects.

Franz Schiemer wasn’t picked as my character solely because of his previous connections to the club and the area, I liked his links to managers and clubs who are well know for a certain type of football. Rangnick and Salzburg both being key on this front. The godfather of Gegenpressing has influenced so many managers and clubs, many of the former being Austrian.

Now I won’t be replicating his style mainly as I don’t want to be an out an out high pressing team, I will simply take elements from it and apply it to my thinking as such becoming influenced rather than replicated.

I want this to be a tactical journey as well as a journey across Europe another reason for my choice of club and manager. A few key things I want to identify (not necessarily all at once)
•    Intelligent pressing (setting traps, shifting between high and mid blocks, counter pressing, increasing and lowering intensity)
•    Progressive passing (after turnovers making passes into the offensive third, quick vertical passes breaking the lines)
•    Creating overloads (especially in the half space, using triangular and diamond shapes allowing us to play with few touches)
•    High intensity attacking (pace to attack the space in behind, quick combination passes, fluid movement in forward areas)

The DNA

With all this in mind I have set myself some attribute and personality parameters to work to. again, this will vary as the club and save progresses, I would be naïve to expect perfect players at this level so I must keep it in context.

I’m considering 14 as exceptional, 10-13 as capable anything below is unacceptable. I have 6 keys for the whole team with off the ball for attacking players and positioning for defensive players. I’m aware that the likes of aggression, natural fitness, pace are all missing, this is mainly due to the level and can be used to spilt players and will come into play as we advance.

•    Bravery – committed players willing to put it on the line for the cause.
•    Determination – commitment to how much he wants to succeed and do his very best.
•    Teamwork – how well a player follows tactical instructions while working as a team.
•    Work Rate – there ability to his full capacity while going over and above there call of duty
•    Acceleration – reflects how quick a player can get to top speed from standing start
•    Stamina – ability to endure a high level of physical activity for extended periods of times.

All six of these point towards committed hardworking players who are willing to fight for the team and can do so at high intensity. This will be the corner stone of our DNA. Desired personalities such as driven, resolute, determined, Fairley determined and resilient will come at a premium but are certainly the aim.

Coaches to be sought out with similar thinking, but also must match up with at least 2 out of three of the following.

•    Tactical style (Counterattack or Gegenpressing)
•    Playing style (Direct or Standard)
•    Formation (5-2-2-1 or 5-2-3 or 4-4-2)

Training Model

Just as before I will be following tactical periodisation as my training method. There are more and more people on the forum joining this kind of thinking and applying it to their saves.

People all have different views on how it should be applied, personally I think SI needs to do more on this front, as only the match prep and set pieces have a direct effect on your next opponent. My issue is how do I know defensive shape is working on dealing with a fast striker I have identified.

However, I do love the training module as a whole and had good success applying it to the total football philosophy previously.

For anyone unsure on the methodology I would suggest reading this article, it is very in depth and a lot to take in, but it really does cover all bases.

To begin with I will work with the one schedule only tweaking it for each match and monitor performance then I may adjust when I start to see specific tactical trends when coming up against certain threats, or stronger or weaker teams or home and away matches. Again, I want training to be a journey with fluidity and chance to grow and progress as the save does which will see certain aspects of the game model tweak.

Defensive Organisation – Zonal Defending with early pressing in a midblock 
Attacking Transition – Exploit opponents disorganised defence attacking quickly 
Attacking Organisation – Possession with the intent to penetrate with passes into final third 
Defensive Transition – Counter press and prevent ball progression and recover possession 

Our game model at a very basic level, counter pressing to win the ball back if it can’t be won fall into a mid-block and await pressing triggers. If the ball is won look to attack instantly with progressive passes into the final third. It’s not complex unlike my previous tactical plans but its more about being prepared and knowing your opponent and the executing the plan.

28c23c17c2db673d8fd3b404a191603c.png

Match Day +1 (Recovery) - recover, review and analysis the previous match. (5% of Match Intensity)

Match Day +2 (Active recovery) - Morning overall session to get the legs moving again working on a bit of everything. Then a tactical session to lay out the plans before applying them to training (33% of Match Intensity)

Match Day +3 (Acquisition Day) - Morning endurance session as we look to take it up a notch followed by a session working as a team before working on the defensive transition. (65% of Match Intensity)

Match Day +4 (Acquisition Day) - Morning Quickness session working on speed of movement, before the afternoon is dedicated to speed of play working on attacking organisation and transition (70% of Match Intensity)

Match Day +5 (Acquisition Day) - Physical morning session to round of the last high intensity session before working on the defensive organisation (60% of Match Intensity)

Match Day +6 (Taper) - The morning is used to analyse our opponents before heading out for a match practice to finalise any small details in any part of the game plan working on all 4 component (45% of match intensity)

Squad Building & Recruitment Policy

c29d9b57d93da6bbf67ff5a9ea4950a9.png

I feel like squad building and recruitment is an area that I have almost went into auto pilot in previous years. I often try to have three players for every position a first teamer, back and then a youth prospect. While this isn’t a problem, I often try to have players of a similar build, so everything is like for like. Its means a player comes in to do the exact same job.

After seeing the above image at the Athletic, I decided this year I’m going to need different players for different jobs, especially now as I look to become more fluid and ready to counter specific threats and exploit certain weaknesses. For instance, I may need a forward who can carry us up the pitch at times, but I may also need a forward who is explosive and plays on the shoulder to stretch the opponent’s backline.

Armed with this and the DNA means i need to be finding players to fit the overall philosophy but, are either an improvement of what we already have at the club or offer something different to current players in their position. But what about the direct recruitment side of things?

Last season with a help of inspiration from a few of the Guru's I dipped my toes into using data for recruitment reasons, I am new to this approach I do use data for a lot of my tactical aspects. This year I look to continue that improvement and zone in on recruiting with statistics, to aid this I have adopted another one of Rangnick pillars, targeting players who I can improve and sell on for money. Moneyball is the term I believe to be used while I do see me adhering strictly to all of it, I will base most of it on this. 

The scene is set, roll on Tuesday!

Edited by SixPointer

• SixPointer changed the title to [FM23] If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again
  • SixPointer changed the title to [FM23] Ernst Happel Challenge - If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again
  • 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Oh dear @SixPointer have a run of games and see how you feel. If you still haven't got that connection then make an executive decision. 

Thinks that’s best. Trying to play different tactically had me buzzing but I’m not sure if am feeling it! Will play it till close tonight and see how I feel.

My original save plan was to Italy taking only teams in the south to try beat the powerful north. So I do have a back up idea. But I really want to give the challenge another bash 

1 hour ago, DefinitelyTaylor said:

If you’re forcing it, it isn’t to be mate. 

That’s my feelings. I feel the gap I had from setup to playing time effected it. Was a late idea it give the challenge another go, I had my sight set on Italy but seen a few people going there so thought maybe something else for me. 

I’m going to give it the next couple days to see if I can pull me in again then I’ll decide. Currently getting about an hour to two hours a day game time so not a vast amount in fm terms for a slow player like me 🤣

Is it the save idea you aren't too keen on this year, or is it a bit of the new ME as well? You could think of a mini career save to take you up to when the new patch comes out January, which I hope by that time will fix this game that is a bit broken at this moment. And maybe you'll have another idea for a save at that time too if it's that.

2 hours ago, g1nh0 said:

Is it the save idea you aren't too keen on this year, or is it a bit of the new ME as well? You could think of a mini career save to take you up to when the new patch comes out January, which I hope by that time will fix this game that is a bit broken at this moment. And maybe you'll have another idea for a save at that time too if it's that.

It’s not so much the ME (besides conceding loads of silly goals 🤣) my style of play is starting to take shape and results wises things are good. I just don’t have that buzz. Like am not at working thinking about the save or rushing back to get on it etc.

i think the issue was I had a plan after my holiday to Italy and to do a save there this edition. But I found the challenge last year just fell away and the fact I seen a lot of folk doing Italy I thought I’d give the challenge ago.

I’ll give this a little longer see if it can suck me into full immersion if not I’ll need to make a decision wether to wait till the winter update or just start a fresh. Time will tell 

Lol yeah, know exactly what you mean about silly goals. In the meantime just to humor you with this current engine...you'd even struggle to see this happening at Sunday League level let alone at Real Madrid! (although I have seen a goalie attempt a long throw, but he ended up throwing it into the back of his own net) :)

I hope you will find your inner love for austria soon :)  I enjoyed playing the austrian leagues in the past - Only in those leagues you get rewarded in cash by the FA if you play at least 8 domestic youngsters or so if i recall correctly :) 

Edited by Carambau

3 hours ago, g1nh0 said:

Lol yeah, know exactly what you mean about silly goals. In the meantime just to humor you with this current engine...you'd even struggle to see this happening at Sunday League level let alone at Real Madrid! (although I have seen a goalie attempt a long throw, but he ended up throwing it into the back of his own net) :)

I’ve had some bad ones. Keeper rolling it to CB man marked with I have take short kicks and to wing backs as instruction which is frustrating. But suppose mistakes happen. I’ve lost a lot of late goals but I think it’s down to my pressing which I adjusted later on and guess what they still scored.

But I’m still finding my feet tactically as I’ve changed up my style from previous years so I can see why there is issues. Struggling with investment in the save has seen me be passive in terms of my analysis of opponents. 

2 hours ago, Carambau said:

I hope you will find your inner love for austria soon :)  I enjoyed playing the austrian leagues in the past - Only in those leagues you get rewarded in cash by the FA if you play at least 8 domestic youngsters or so if i recall correctly :) 

Yeah am hoping I catch the bug. I’ve played three months results are good, recruitment was good, youth players look promising and the tactics are bedding in. So I have a months worth of games up to the World Cup which will make or break my interest in the save. 

23 hours ago, g1nh0 said:

06e3b63916b1ecea56b9e4ecfcbd2e84.png

Just about sums it up!! A late equaliser, win a penalty miss it then on the follow up win a penalty and miss it

On 23/11/2022 at 12:08, SixPointer said:

06e3b63916b1ecea56b9e4ecfcbd2e84.png

Just about sums it up!! A late equaliser, win a penalty miss it then on the follow up win a penalty and miss it

Blimey!! What an end!! I would have been putting him on the transfer list after that!

ried-im-innkreis-aerial.jpg.e568952cd66e7ee595f88ce407ecf0ee.jpg

In The Beginning

First thing to address at the club for Franz would be the poor levels of staff at his disposal. To add with realism, I’ve followed suit on many people’s styles for now by only allowing for staff members who apply for jobs.

Scouting knowledge is a big area that needed improvement, having loaded western Africa as database add on that’s something am keen to work on, but this may take some time. Therefore, the focus will be looking to expand into another area Austrian clubs often shop in, the Balkans, I loaded players from all these areas which should give us a decent pool, once we employ some scouts.

7a06960a9f155927e01dab8d7107a234.png

A few big names in the first round of interviews, Lucio nailed down the job along with club icon and former Austrian international Muhammet Akagündüz. Both had desired tactical styles and Lucio is incredible mentality, also his world knowledge and international experience will be valuable.

A few Key appointments in the scouting department, as Leo Lainer a man Franz trusted from their rime together at RB Salzburg comes to head up the scouting department along with former Croatian international Mario Stanic, who would provide a key link to the Balkans. Mbo Mpeneza joined the ranks with some basic African knowledge which was proving hard to come by.

c96d645de027fa9f47e93ee3d370cabf.png

A vast improvement in the backroom team at the end of the recruitment drive, while this is a costly expenditure and for club not blessed with a massive balance it will take its toll, but for me it’s the biggest priority to get right when I first take over anywhere. A good backroom team is worth its weight in gold, especially if you like to develop players, create a club DNA and if you have a certain recruitment plan.

fb1b776b2fbd586fe131c540b45e3d9a.png

Eleven players deal’s run out next summer, two important players, five regular starters and four squad players.

Now I wasn’t sure if that was a good or bad thing to begin with. On one hand it could be costly to try keep a hold of them all, most would want improved deals but on the other hand it does give me a chance to move some on without much fuss.

Pomer, Mikic and Chabbi would fetch me a reasonable amount of cash to re-invest. Pomer and Mikic were both wide men and a pressing forward on the decline. Other than that club captain Ziegl (29), key player Nutz (30), Kragl (30) LWB, goalkeeper Sahin-Radlinger (29) would be given until the world cup break to convince me for new deals. The philosophy goes against keeping any of them except perhaps the goalkeeper but i do need one or two older heads around.

Ungar is a very promising defender but does lack some DNA, so I would cash in, and Stosic is out for the whole season.

d30293217338e42c1cfe551a4a59eafa.jpg

A good spine is essential, these four will provide us that. Radlinger looks made up for an attacking sweeper keeper, Eccentricity isn’t my favourite, and he is a long way from being perfect but at this present time he will offer us a very good place to start from. Plavotic is a giant off a man will offer a threat in attack and should snuff out any high balls at the back, a little more aggression and acceleration would be welcomed but nevertheless a solid old school defender.

Michael Martin who arrived on a free in the summer (before I took over) is the man I will be looking to lead the team. Technically gifted but also extremely determined and willing to work, bravery being his only doubtful, but I can cut him some slack there. Monschein will lead the line, looks to be a very adapt pressing forward, the ability to go in behind looks promising but he does also lend himself to linking playing with his passing and player traits.

“Every act of creation is first an act of destruction.” – Pablo Picasso.

c78cc1f95be56c45f0fde5a854f2c5f7.png

Two million euros generated from player sales, I can take credit for all bar one, Ante Bajic was already done before aye arrived in town at the alpine foothills. The Pomer sale would come back to bite us, but more on that later.... Overall, I was delighted with the outgoing shifting players not suited or not up to scratch and giving me a small war chest for a club of our size and stature.

Pomer's deal was up in the summer and while I felt he could be a valuable member of the team he wanted to explore his options. Ungar and Cosgun sales the fans were not best pleased about as both have potential but unfortunately, they don’t fit my style of play and with deals running out time to cash in on them. Mikic, Weberbauer and Chabbi were all squad players that I felt I could get upgrades on from the 650k generated from the three.

1e0f35ce9f3402be63724322b8efc249.png

Eugene Cheberko - Left footed ball playing centre back, who is equally capable of playing a defensive full back role. DNA-77 which is much more than the 70 points I have set me at this stage. His player trait should encourage progressive passes to the flanks. Looks a solid acquisition so far and has had some standout performances.

Stefan Feiertag - The gamble! he does not meet the required DNA so he’s out with my recruitment plan, I just couldn’t ignore the chance to improve him and make some money, as I said in the in the previous post, I want to follow a money ball type approach. He is still raw at 20 and I feel I can get some market value from him. Four other Bundesliga teams were interested so was glad I got it done. Has had some injury problems but put in a man of the match performance in his first start.

Nosa Iyobosa Edokpolor - A more attacking minded LWB to cover for the injured Kragl. Great personality and a DNA of 79 makes him the exact the type of player I want to recruit, the scouts brought him to me, and I agreed with their findings. He has been inconsistent he is either very good or very poor, a lot of this is down to my changes in game plan to be fair to him.

Sebastian Leimhofer - Another one from the same club who just falls short on the DNA - 67, his aggression and natural fitness swings it though they also tie in with the style of play. Also, hardworking playmaker types are a very rare breed and I now have two in him and Martin. He certainly can pull the strings with flair vison and technique and is more a true playmaker than Martin, He provided great competition and showed his versatility also dropping into left wing back at times. He now looks to have shifted Nutz from his starting berth.

Luca Kerber - A young German DM looks to be excellent value for money with room still to grow. DNA – 72, he has the ability to dictate play from deep and am currently training him to play more direct passes, hopefully using him to become our first progressive passer from deep in his pivot role. Started well and has nailed down a starting spot as the link man between defence and attack and looks very promising.

Danijel Lončar - Last but certainly not least, i give to you my FM bargain. An agressive defender capable of playing RB or RCB, his only flaws are his concentration and decoosns, but in terms of my style of play and my level he is a supebr piece of bisness. Backed up by his perfoamnces to date, either at the right of my three man backline or in a defensive full back role he has been superb. DNA - 82 sums him up nicely.

Victories aren't born on the field. You create them during practice.

eb8e3e1bdf2c6d7d323fa00199ece606.png

Rather inconsistent start in the first two months, won one, lost one and drew one and so on.... A real turning point was the win against Strum Graz, down to ten men we ground out a massive three points. During the game I switched to a double pivot for obvious reasons, but even with ten men I really liked what I seen. The shift from a 3142 to 3421 seen us put together a 10-game unbeaten run in the following ten games. 19 points from 27 available is anything but relegation form which we were tipped for.

Wolfsberger AC and RB Salzburg are difficult draws to swallow, Pomer came back to haunt us with an 86th minute equaliser as he came off the bench. Back-to-back penalty misses in Salzburg at the death of the game cost us a truly memorable victory after they had only just equalised in a game we certainly held our own. Austria Wien kill any hopes of conquering the first step of the challenge this year as they knock us out the OFB Cup in only the third round, a tough draw but the form we were in am disappointed and a finishing for the world cup on a negative.

25bad757472d3ee87b3fbf99e1311f1f.png

As expected, RB Salzburg are flying, the big shock is us sitting in second, media predicted to finish 11th. Teams chasing do have games in hand, and it is tight into the middle of the table, so I for one won’t be taking anything for granted, that’s no to say we aren’t there on merit.

9fd99e12b148532dc9c119be985c73e2.png

Intelligent pressing is something I spoke about as being a key marker in our style of play, PPDA second only to RB, which is truly pleasing, the opponent completes just over 3 passes, before we make a defensive action. A nod to our pressing style backed up by our possession winning numbers and how many interceptions we force. This could point at us not having a lot of the ball, but we rank third in the league for average possession. All this combined has seen us face the second least number of shots on target against us. Safe to say our out of possession game is really thriving. My use of specific pressing traps against certain styles our opponents throw at us is something a plan on covering in greater detail later in the save. 

2167af02264acbcd75c9355d5070da62.png

Attacking wise, creation doesn’t seem to be an issue, conversion perhaps could be better but it’s all work in practice. Passes completed are high, but this is having a knock-on effect on our final third passes which for me is way too low considering what am trying to create tactically. Progressive passes are something else I marked as a key component of the style of play and something I would like to measure our success on and when I look at our midfield numbers its points to us being a little too safe in this aspect. I do know that with progressive passes distance is a key factor, but key passes are still low as well, something to be addressed.

03b4ec63ba546b32d0539422e0ff34c5.png

Something else I wanted to measure my tactical philosophy on was attacking the space in behind a backline, I’ve used a combination of these two front three combinations to create these runs. Depending on how the opponent sets up, sometimes I like the PF starting his run a little deeper or allowing the AMs to attack the space. Other times usually when up against a slow centre back pairing, I want him stretching the back line and trying his best to break the offside trap.

Some examples there off playing the ball in behind to attack, something that became clear is Kerber the Volante in the standard shape is usually the one who plays the pass before the key pass, he really does link defence to attack nicely. Martin and Monschein have really struck up a great understanding, assisting one and other many times. This is showing how my subtle changes can have a different effect on attacking patterns without deviating completely from the philosophy, this is something I want to master in all phases of our play.

000f6b993ca2a5f61535f4857e7f47a7.png

The final tactical ideal was to create overloads, again I’ve used subtle changes to the system to help create these in different ways, depending on opponents, shape, style, and personnel. Attacking mentality to create help create vertical play and risk taking, along with transitioning quickly, all key components of the style.

On the left I have a central overload which tends to be the most used, designed to attack centrally while the wing backs provide supportive width, the two amc often used to overload the two defensive pivots in the most commonly faced formation the 4231. This is where the volante comes into his own, dropping to help the BWM with the ten in defence but making late runs to further overload the DMs with the double ten's. Creating a build-up structure with four players central players is great for ball progression.

On the right a wide overload, the wing backs have full license to attack, with a back three behind and two destroyers in the middle they have cover to do so. The Am's are asked to move into channels or sometimes even asked to stay wide, as I look to create overloads in the half spaces. In comparison you can see how much wider the structure is, with the team almost splitting into two halves. ideally, I would like two diamond like shapes on either side, but I don’t want to lose central coverage completely. This is great against narrow systems as we still defend narrow but attack the channels and flanks as we transition.

Defensively on both setups it really depends on what personal am up against, I have tinkered with trapping inside and outside, personally I still prefer to use opponent instructions at this stage. Mainly because I like to show full backs inside to the congested middle, but I like to show inside forwards, inverted wingers and wingers all down the flank, my three centre backs usually out number attackers and with Plavotic (leading header winner in the league) I often have a superiority to deal with crosses. Why don’t I invite crosses you say? simple answer am not sure how it works yet. i think combined with trapping outside it could make for some very good wide pressing traps but that is something am still trying to workout.

As for our intelligent pressing, Counter press is always on as is more often pressing as standard. High press more often than not. The variables here are often the defensive line, if I feel I team is getting in behind on a high line I drop to standard and drop off more, if I think there is too much going on in front of us, I revert to higher and stepping up. Again, personnel dictates things here before for an against, am not blessed with a massive amount of pace in the back line, so against quick strikers naturally I deny them space. Against a big strong striker stepping up and letting Plavotic go man for man often dropping the outside defenders drop onto cover.

Opponent instructions are real assent to make the pressing intelligent I don’t simply press all defenders and DM's, I lay traps to the weaker ones, mark good ball players, press weaker ones. sometimes I just allow the defence to have it but the minute it hits midfield I press relentlessly when I do this I drop to mid-block and turn up the pressing. Other times I mark central players and press wide or vice versa again coming down to our opponents’ strengths.

Oberösterreich-Derby

e80a94d777ca1c3b81ce12d44c12f3b9.jpg

The match against LASK Linz is our only registered derby, while Blau-Weiss Linz from the Bundesliga 2 are rivals but no official derby. 70km west of Linz is where we lie in terms of the geography of the local rivalry, while I’m usually keen to manage teams with derbies within cities, preferably ones with only two clubs (due to me being from Edinburgh and our local rivalry which I live for). This time ill must settle for a regional rivalry! Rapid are set as a competitive rival which adds some incentive against them.

a4a12d87645bf422422b9f723ff09726.png

A massive win in Linz, the central overload forced turnovers and our high pressing on the flanks stopped them progressing down our sides. Not a single shot on target for the hosts who were tipped to be among the title challengers this season. The back three provided immense cover as we defended wide and went man for man on across the back. Risky strategy but the reward was huge.

067ce6460923cc07b7dedf36aaaa6d51.gif

The first goal is probably my favourite of the save so far, a turnover inside the opponent’s half, two passes and were in behind and lobbing the goalkeeper. It sums up everything I’m trying to create in terms of style of play.

af23cc28dc1215a33570320403a7f2cd.gif

The second goal further backs up our pressing qualities and the strike well you don’t hit them much better than that for a young RWB!

Conclusion

Thanks for your patients first, been a slow start (typical) I had my doubts about the save and while it’s started, I still have this nagging thought about my Italian save. For now, I’m fully invested in the challenge, put Italy aside. Things started shaking but as we’ve grown into the tactical setups and tinkering things have paid off.

During the world cup break its going to be all about planning for the recruitment in the summer, I don’t envisage a very busy winter window, but stranger things have happened. Evaluating the players with their contracts ending and deciding their fate will dictate a lot of this. The scout range will be increased for a short time as well to open western Africa (Ghana, Senegal, Nigeria, Ivory Coast)

Sorry about the size of update a lot to take in, but to increase speed of play am trying to limit myself to three or four big updates a year rather than monthly’s.

Edited by SixPointer

Great work!

Is the SV Reid "Tree" formation an updating of "Nesselquist Ball" or more your take on Tuchel's Chelsea but trying for "Shock and Awe" instead of clinical possession?

I am currently doing my journeyman save as "myself" and have so far been to Ireland, Italy (10 game stint with Padova), and now at LAFC (MLS) playing the Liverpool 4-3-3 Gengenpress. 

I am still trying to decide where I want to have a Career Update save.....

Thought about France again! but I'm not sure

I really enjoyed those video clips showing how the attacking trio operate. 

Happy that you seem to have found your flow with this save, seems like you simply needed some game time to get your teeth into it. 

No need to apologise for the size of the update, it was an enjoyable read. (Taking my time to catch up with others after getting me head into my save over the past few days). 

Are there any targets which have caught your eye from Africa? 

4 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Great work!

Is the SV Reid "Tree" formation an updating of "Nesselquist Ball" or more your take on Tuchel's Chelsea but trying for "Shock and Awe" instead of clinical possession?

I am currently doing my journeyman save as "myself" and have so far been to Ireland, Italy (10 game stint with Padova), and now at LAFC (MLS) playing the Liverpool 4-3-3 Gengenpress. 

I am still trying to decide where I want to have a Career Update save.....

Thought about France again! but I'm not sure

It’s more Nagelsman ish than anyone else. Which I suppose you can group so many others under.

Oliver glasner is former player with over 500 appearances for the club so he certainly had an influence.

3 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

I really enjoyed those video clips showing how the attacking trio operate. 

Happy that you seem to have found your flow with this save, seems like you simply needed some game time to get your teeth into it. 

No need to apologise for the size of the update, it was an enjoyable read. (Taking my time to catch up with others after getting me head into my save over the past few days). 

Are there any targets which have caught your eye from Africa? 

Thanks mate I try to add clips to help people feel part of the tactical vision.

I know but it’s a lot of reading, should be more trimmed in future now the scene is set. 

there is a left back in Senegal am really Interested in but the board have slashed my wage budget so I’ll need to see some players move. I have a few contacts to look at. A couple of younger ones look good but need more scouting and it’s not cheap!

6 hours ago, Emozil said:

Loving this so far, and glad to see you've finally started to click with the updates. Also love the idea of a club DNA for recruitment. Not something I've ever thought about doing!

I can’t take credit for coming up with the DNA ideas. The person I seen it from first was @Deisler26

10 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

You're back! Not quite fully sold but half-sold Six Pointer can still write a tactical post! Looks like you've made a great start - can't wait to see where this ends up.

Not fully in, a few things definitely lacking. The tinkering and tweaking I want to do more game by game but I can’t afford to dwell on writing as I need to try play abit quicker this year! Try my best to cover all bases! 

SVRied_Fans_Dostal.jpg.812b50b8664fb533073b05ebde1788ae.jpg

Midway Mutterings..

38a1104079372979563818da1890966c.png

The Austrian league splits into two groups, we’ve found ourselves in the championship group, a full year ahead of schedule. If my research is correct, the top six teams now play each other home and away for the remaining ten fixtures. Here’s the twist, each team has its points halved, a strange one if you ask me, but I don’t make the rules.

69140306ef4b390219c3d93be6232511.png

Austria Wien is fast becoming our must frustrating opponents, back-to-back defeats and twice we have been left to rue missed chances. A four-game unbeaten run made sure we kept in the chasing pack, although both draws were avoidable. Miroslav Klose's Altach gave up three points before Salzburg just escaped with all three points. Before a Derby Day draw.

4th in the league is something am very pleased with, considering our resources we are well above our station. I do however find a second formation is going to be required as subtle changes are no longer enough at times. I feel a two man front line is defiantly something a plan on looking into in the foreseeable future.

381364f22b7b589ed5d3d1e6f2ab48d7.png

Nice to be recognised for my recruitment strategy, the clubs’ finances are dwindling and the wage budget slashed. That further cemented the fates of three players, The aging trio of Nutz, Kragl and Ziegl brought in some much-needed relief. All three's deals were up in the summer and while I had considered all three for another year, the wages expected were no justifiable.

A few younger players were promoted in place of all three, personally I don’t feel their ready, but after securing more than our goal of avoiding relegation I’m happy to give them a chance to break into the team. On that note a golden generation is rumoured to be on its way, another welcome sight.

Two signings arrived in the window, a Belarusian international right wing back, His average rating of 7.00, 4 assist and 2 POMs was enough to convince me he was worthy of a pre contract agreement. Nechaev has a DNA of 71, while he certainly doesn’t look a superstar, this is the sort of wheeling a dealing am going to need to be doing.

The second man is exactly the answer to many of our problems, our first African import, from Senegal. Amadou N’diaye a superb LWB found in our first harvest of the country. There are a few others on the radar but the scouting budget depleting it’s going to be a patient process, I need to pick and choose my moments wisely.

DNA sits at 72 and with two Senegal caps I’m expecting him to go from strength to strength. I loaned him back to till the end of the season, with a view to bringing another player over at the same time to help both settled. Scouts on revealed one concern, potential injuries but he is the first west African gamble, and he won’t be the last. Salzburg aren’t the only team fishing from that pond now!

In my quest to quench my thirst for west African talent I had been on the haunt for another scout, some big-name international players applied and some with better attributes than others, which is the two things I usually go on. But this time I wanted people with knowledge of the new talent pond.

06ba74ac152f78ce79c57310b0cc22d7.png

Certainly, no super scout, but very good for both the Ivory Coast and Senegal made him the ideal candidate.

Oberösterreich-Derby

1754365695_homederby.jpg.40a8815efc9296a0cba31cc6173ca433.jpg

Peter Stoger returned to Austria, formerly a success with FC Koln in Germany, he failed at Dortmund before a brief spell back in the Austria capital before switching to the Hungarian capital for a season. The appointment at LASK seemed great for all parties, the club in dire need of a restart and a manager in need of a club willing to let him right his wrongs.

Their 442 offered us a chance of central dominance, and dominate we did, but in truth it was a poor game and we failed to capitalise on our dominance. A set play was our only way through early on, which firmly supports the idea of a slight adjustment of a two-man striker system for this sort of occasions.

Plavotic added to his fine tally of headed goals from corners, a real weapon and makes the time it takes setting up several routines worthwhile. The big defender finished second in the Austrian player of the year, were it not you be for a superb Brazilian front man he could easily have walked away with it.

266eb890f207455a60ad64c7507f7c02.png

His growth since my arrival is something majestic and at a trajectory I personally have never seen before. A new deal should see us pocket a nice profit we the inevitable suitors start to circle.

9 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

I like Plavotic a loooot

A real man mountain off a defender. He easily could be well into double figures from his attack threat as well. The amount of times he hits the woodwork is scary. 

2 hours ago, 13th Man said:

I’m going to have to go through and sink my teeth into the last two posts, but in the meantime - glad to see you pushing on and looking forward to seeing where this adventure will take you!

Thanks for the support as always dude!

Progressing well and ahead of schedule in terms of your league position. 

What is it do you think that gives Austria Wein the advantage over you? As you seem to be winning the XG battle, is it a quality issue or luck?

N'diaye looks quality, some set of lungs of the lad and mentally strong for a 19 year old. Plenty of headroom for development, what do you think his ceiling is? 

They have really good centre forwards tbh. I’m surprised with the financial situation they managed to hold onto them. They also seem to keep lots of clean sheets. So you could say quality, but we certainly need to be taking more chances.

N’Diaye is tough one, attributes wise he looks perfect, and the scouts still believe he has room to improve. The only issue is no real statistical analysis to back it up due to coming from a non playable league. If he settles in Europe it don’t see why he can’t go on to be a real special player. 

The Business End

The championship group in the beginning, Salzburg winning the title looks a foregone conclusion. 2nd place however there is a real battle, SK Rapid (21), Wolfsberger (19) SV Ried (18) In fact everyone has a real chance even Strum Graz who sit on 14 points have a chance. Ten games to decide the fate of the first season in Austria.

a44935c3a835ac12096dfbab36499942.png

The first six games couldn’t have gotten off to a worse start, demolished from Wolfsberger after trying to adjust to a 3142 or a 5221 as the game calls it. Reverting back to our old system for the home game against Austria Lustenau but using two attack duties in the AM and shorter passing team instruction, developed a very nice attacking shape with deep combos.

Things really started to click as the shift to a 3412/5212 against Strum Graz, hitting 5 for the first time the league. Our front three looks a lot more potent and taking an early lead against Salzburg gave them a fright. SK Rapid and ourselves were now looking like front runners for second place, we won the first duel in Vienna, in total control of the match a real assured performance. Finally we stopped the rot against Wolfsberger who we had failed to beat previously.

System Synopsis

aa3f4158a6b32283b0bfca7aea2113a8.png

Following on from previous posts am still carrying on down the route of subtle tweaks, gone are the days of three systems with massive variations. I find its more optimum especially when it comes to familiarity also its much more realistic, its very rare to see managers with 3 or 4 systems with drastic changes. The idea is to strike the balance of being able to counter certain opponents but without throwing away our overall philosophy. Subtle role changes, subtle game plan variations are the go-to now.

With all this in mind it is still early days, and I am still fine tuning what I want to see, for now passing short with the higher tempo seems to provide me with more of the football I want to see on the eye. Its vertical but it’s not lofted, this switch coupled with a move to a two-man front line has helped our quest to overload the flanks and half spaces.

Simply put a shuffle to the front three a few roles and duty changes behind and focusing down the flanks now sees me with a narrow system in the tree and a wider system in the flanker. The front three are already knitting together nicely making partnerships, Martin has revelled in the role as the loan number ten, while Monschein looks better in a more supporting role and Feiertag looking a real threat breaking behind.

ad6ee9be9acd758da3dbd9dca630c555.png

Four games to go and we were in the driving seat, only the wheels falling off could de rail our bid to finish best of the rest........

bb6b849179d114b30f19dcc02930bf86.png

Yes, wheels falling off indeed. What looked like an incredibly potent attack only a game previously was blunted, three blanks fired. SK Rapid got their revenge for Vienna, was easy street for RB Salzburg the first game in which we haven’t cause them problems. Austria Lustenau sat in and broke on us which left a big win required on the final day of the championship group. Strum Graz were destroyed their narrow 442 diamond was no match for the flanker, that’s four wins from four against the club from Austria second largest city, punching well above our weight. but was it enough?

sports klub Austria Klagenfurt won the OFB cup which secured them the UEFA Europa League slot, leaving whoever finished third a UEFA Conference League place and second to take a UEFA Champions League qualifying spot.

In the Austrian Bundesliga there is a European play off and from what I can gather 4th place plays the winner of the top two teams from the relegation group who play in the semi playoff. I like this to be honest and add an extra dimension to the relegation group.

64168bb9247b210efbd304d49d0669c8.png

Wolfsberger AC turned over SK Rapid Vienna which in turn hands us the UCL slot!!! What an achievement, the guarantees us some form of European football next season......... 

Now the issue lies with having a squad able to cope, this is miles ahead of schedule and to be honest I was delighted with making the championship group. I will welcome the Euro test but as it stands the budget doesn’t look favourable for a lot of squad enhancement, but it will help unleash the wheeler dealer in me and will me finding undervalued talent! Bring it on!

Just read up on this. A very nice start and good to see you in Austria. I think I never played more than a few games there due to the RB dominance, league split etc. 

N'diaye looks a great pick up to me. I like the African links and the focus on Senegal & Ivory Coast (perhaps Cameroon & Nigeria) should give some nice affordable talent in time. What are the current foreign player limits and rules in Austria?

Best of luck, hoping it keeps your interest.

2 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Just read up on this. A very nice start and good to see you in Austria. I think I never played more than a few games there due to the RB dominance, league split etc. 

N'diaye looks a great pick up to me. I like the African links and the focus on Senegal & Ivory Coast (perhaps Cameroon & Nigeria) should give some nice affordable talent in time. What are the current foreign player limits and rules in Austria?

Best of luck, hoping it keeps your interest.

I actually enjoyed the league spilt, in Scotland we do it, but the relegation group doesn’t get the added bonus of a shot at Europe still I quite liked that twist. As for RB's dominance in a way it helps me cause eventually, I want that job after I win the cup, although Strum Graz the Vienna two even Wolfsberger and LASK are bigger clubs. But with a shock second place if I can get my summer right this year there is every chance, I can maintain my battle to grow this small club into a force.

Ndiaye am excited about, there are couple others. I made a mess of Ivory coast and Cameroon. I thought I had them loaded as add on but I never. I never noticed till too late as it took me a while to build up knowledge. Basically, I can shop in Senegal, Nigeria and Ghana.

2 hours ago, MattyLewis11 said:

Talk about helter-skelter, that was some finish to the season.

With European football comes an increased budget and an increased fixture list, what are your plans moving forward (with limited budget) strengthen the first XI or add depth.

Do you have any targets lined up? 

The squad is 100% not ready for European football, the budget isn’t either. I’ll need to shop around and bargain hunt and look for undervalued talent. I do have some promising youth players to supplement the squad, most aren’t ready for first team football, and it may affect their growth but in times of need it’s all hands to the pump.

As for targets I’ve been tracking a few, mostly players going out of contract. today I’m going to write little stats update then I’ll be tucking into the summer recruitment plans all day as am off work for a change. Hopefully I can get preseason played as well but may be a tall order for a slow player ha-ha.

stats.jpg.09a48983d7e61a0c04f4852b8515ff02.jpg

Season By Numbers

Key metrics that I wanted to measure our tactical style were as listed.

On 07/11/2022 at 00:06, SixPointer said:

•    Intelligent pressing (setting traps, shifting between high and mid blocks, counter pressing, increasing and lowering intensity)
•    Progressive passing (after turnovers making passes into the offensive third, quick vertical passes breaking the lines)
•    Creating overloads (especially in the half space, using triangular and diamond shapes allowing us to play with few touches)
•    High intensity attacking (pace to attack the space in behind, quick combination passes, fluid movement in forward areas)

Intelligent PressingPPDA of 3.43, So our opponents make around 3 and half passes before we make our defensive action. Ranking us third in the league in doing so, not all out high pressing but aggressive enough, backed up with 4320 possession wins, ranking us 4th in the league which considering our possession numbers is impressive. TSV Hartberg (37%), Austria Wien (49%), SK Rapid (48%) enjoy having the ball considerably less than our 54%. Interceptions show the Intelligent side of things with 1026 interceptions in total ranking us 5th again all the teams ranked above us have far less average possession.

All this put into context, when we don’t have the ball, we are aggressive in our quest to win it back, other teams do rank higher than us but if you have the ball for longer periods off time its impossible to win it back. Overall am very happy with our pressing style its made us efficient defensively, using the wide or narrow traps and the switch between mid and high blocks have really captured my attention tactically so it’s something am striving to perfect.

Progressive Passing - By far the hardest metric to measure also the one I feel I need to work on the most. As far as am aware (open to suggestion) the only full-on metric is individual player progressive passes which our best player ranks at 18th in the league. Now I’ve used final third passes for (6th) and Pitch tilt (fewer passes against more lots of passes for) to try supplement the findings. The only issue is a progressive pass considers distance something I’ve spoke about before, whereas final third passes could be shorter? this is my understanding I may be wrong.

Either way it’s certainly needs improving, especially if final third passes for aren’t considered progressive passes. I’m surprised SI haven’t gone with an overall team stat. On the eye I do feel we win the ball and play forward after turnovers so in that sense I am happy.

Something that possibly hinders our progressive passes is our use of the flanks, but this is something I do want to see from the team so I can’t have it all.

Creating Overloads - Something I’ve been an advocate off for a very long time no matter the style of play. This year I’ve tried to increase speed of play so I haven’t got any in match examples of 1v's or 2v1's, something I will be looking to create more of as the tactical idea grows. The pressing/defensive side was a priority to get to grips with.

I do have 3 great examples of our build up shape and you can see from each the slight variation depending on opponent’s shape & system we have deployed. One thing is clear the diamonds and triangles are forming now it’s about isolating players and being more positionally aware to create these situations over and over.

High Intensity Attacking - I provided some clips earlier in the season showing our threat in behind, now having a second system with a two-man forward line and one being AF, things are certainly working on that front. We make the most sprints in the league, but this of course could be out of possession as well but does help provide a marker to the intensity of our play. 

The fact that I add various movement instructions to the front three helps create the fluid movement, whether it be stay wider, or roam from position, or move into channels depending or hold position depending on what plan I choose for the opponents back line. 97 chances created second only to Salzburg whose goal output is just out of this world, best shots on target ratio in the league (43%), and second best non penalty XG (39.3).

We take more shots on average, and we are more clinical, so from attacking standpoint things look good. Monschein leads the front three with 19 direct goal involvements (14 goals, 5 assists), Martin was second with 17 direct involvements (12goals, 5 assists). Feiertag and Leimhofer struggled in front of goal, but it was their first season stepping up a division and both started to enjoy the second system. Leimhofer is also a more creative type and Feiertag started to find the net.

Header.jpg.069cc4945e4d37f2268907fcc81af47f.jpg

Tin The Giant

5f562bbf6813563de1b4c2fd8de8cdd1.png

The standout performer for the club this year. 628 headers won leading the way with a margin of 129. Possession won 841 times with 8 key tackles to boot, throw in his 6 goals and 5 man of the match displays and it’s easy to see why he was in with a shout for player of the year.

36bc4597367aa4f7812eff03cb1fa34b.png

87% of headers won far superior to anyone else in my team and the best in the league, once more the sheer volume of his attempts makes it even more impressive from the big man. 79% of tackles won, whereas this time he doesn’t attempt very many, one would assume he doesn’t have to. Wins the ball back frequently and sits around average for losing it.

I think it’s safe to say he was the standout defender in the Austria Bundesliga this year, his dominance in his own box and the threat in the opponent’s box made him a huge asset to the side. It’s no surprise the Austrian player of the year runner up has a few clubs interested in his services.

beckham_corner_mls.jpg.6897ad60edac64ac7af90cad0a504637.jpg

The secret weapon that’s not so much a secret anymore....... due to the fact we scored 10 goals from corners and i want to share it with you. Something that is extremely pleasing as I take a fair bit of time setting these up. of course, with you weapons like Plavotic and Loncar in the side you need to use it to your advantage.

62329b61f0a48cc8df568344278c0476.png

I’m not going to describe everyone, nor is this a guaranteed success this is just my take on things. Hopefully helps others who maybe don’t take the time to set them up, as it is rather pain staking, but it can be the difference between three points or no points.

I have three routines per side which automatically alternate, I have ones designed to overload a certain post where I crowd it, I have decoy overloads where I look to drag the opponent to one post and try to find a player one v one at the other. The player I try to get one v one is of course the best header, this time around its Plavotic. Key attributes are, heading, jumping reach, strength, bravery as well as the height of the player. Off the ball and finishing are helpful especially if you target someone running onto the ball. 

Edited by SixPointer

Boss.jpg.0f784c9a714f6ed682e7a38afa866b05.jpg

To stand still is to fall behind

A massive summer for the club, group stage European football at some level is a guarantee. With that in mind the squad will certainly need bolstering, first however the finances need to be addressed.

The price paid for the up scaling the non & playing staff at the club left us 3.3million euros in the red. A new sponsorship deal relieved some of the pressure, bringing us back to within 1.2m of level. Clearly with the projection this wouldn’t be a viable way to operate.

A very tough call was made and while it’s hard to let go of players you trust and love, Tin the giants rise would be cashed in on. A 5 million deal to Nantes would solve our issues and leave us with plenty room to manoeuvre the market. Arrived on a free transfer and left for 5 million, there can be no complaints on the money side of the deal.

0fb2d140c699448c4fd2b03950a2754f.png

Things back in the balance it was time to turn to the playing squad. In order of priority....

• Replacement for Tin at CB 
  • First choice RWB 
  • First choice BWM
  • Target Forward 
  • Back up CB 
  • Back up BWM 
  • Back up AMC

A fair amount of shopping to be done, and smart shopping for the fact of the matter.

b666cb12bb291a9cc25b97317c18dbe9.png

Three players I had been tracking for the inevitable departure of the big man. Pfeiffer & Gimber were running down deals, while Bakic has a release clause of 950k. Gimber and Patric plied their trade in the 2. Bundesliga in Germany and Bakic the Serbian top tier.

All three are strong in the air with over 84% wins from an average of around 13 attempts per 90, Patric wins more key headers. Tackling wasn’t a big part of Tin's game but this trio average above 70% which I’m using as my baseline in this case, again Patric is leader for the more curial ones. Interceptions all average above 3.00 per 90, with Bakic leading the way. Gimber looks to be the best passer of the ball with the higher completion and the most progressive passes.

23226345cc2f1c29db4e3f7de03a6f93.png

Pfeiffer arrived on a free transfer from the newly promoted SV Darmstadt, he opted to not join them for the Bundesliga and settled himself down for a stint in the alpine foothills. His wages certainly are towards the top end of our scale but in the long run am certain he will turn us a profit our become a stalwart at the club.

The main reason I opted for the 23-year-old Ghanaian was his ability to be a complete central defender, with superior physicality. He can play any role across the back and any duty, something essential for my middle centra back this year I expect my back line instructions to be more fluid. The scouts only brough back good news, likes big matches and is a consistent performer, add in he likes to try long range passes and he could add more progressiveness from the backline.

Slavko Bralic was lined up before the cash inflow, an older statesman at 30 not something I want to do too often but an outlay of 260,053 Euros for his whole two years which includes his 53k transfer fee I thought it was a no brainer. Did play much last season but when he did average well above 80% completion for headers, tackles and passing.

a353fa698a1c571ae76df14f8e4b02af.png

600k was enough to prize Mitja Ilenic from Domazle in Slovenian, the under 21 internationals has a massive future and looks a real bargain. A complete wing back in every sense which is vital for the systems as they are the only players responsible for width. I now feel him and Ndiaye now provide me with this.

I wrote a Gian Piero Gasparini tactical thread a couple years back and this guy and Ndiaye are hopefully going to provide me with what GPG got from Goosens and Hatebour, full blooded, full metal wing play. His 20% cross completion from 225 attempts and 4.00 progressive passes would point to this aggressive nature.

93c615b5760cf02f75b702be67f4228d.png

For a while now I’ve been trying to push towards statistical analysis for my recruitment, on these deals I tried my best to apply what I’ve been watching and trying to learn.
So, I had a go myself....

Kraev a solid ball winner playing for Levski Sofia, had a solid season in the Bulgarian capital. Winning 81% of his 114 tackles, completing 8.13 pressures of his attempted 21.28 and making 2.74 interceptions per 90. Attributes wise his passing and, on the ball control are a concern but in terms of the numbers he seems ideal for winning the ball back and keeping play ticking over. Loves big matches, is consistent and had the ideal characteristics I am looking for.

Belic is a hardworking midfielder, who more or less matches Kraev attributes wise, but is better on the ball (although the stats say otherwise). He never seen as much game time at Partizan Belgrade, he has been on the books at West Ham united and Olympikaos but never made senior appearances, it seems he went back to his mainland to try make it. Scouts point to no real major issues.

Schwermann drops down a level perhaps playing Aachen in Germany lower league, he does however boast some nice attributes and match the numbers I had set as baseline, the scouts rated him and brough back some desired details about what kind of player he was. I was gambling on him as a backup, so he was signed on a free transfer, which left the other pair to battle it out.

42d6d15afe23322de1fa5beb09370a2a.png

Kraev would roll in at over 1million euros cheaper on the fee and another 700k cheaper in wages over the course of the deal. his superior stats in tackle completion (while attempting more) better pressures, better passing numbers leads me to the thinking it’s a smart buy, cheaper with better performances gives me a feel that Kraev was undervalued, time will tell hopefully it’s the beginning of me being able to apply this more successfully.

Sandi Ogrinec would conclude the first team business in midfield, a couple of African prospects have been signed which will update later. Orginec will compete with Martin and Leimhofer, his 7 direct goal involvements last season for Tirol who struggled, and his scouting feedback was enough to convince me to pounce on him on a free transfer.

So far so good with only a target forward left to sign on my wanted list and having removed most of the deadwood from the side and loaning out high potential youngsters who were thrown in at the deep end, things are starting to take shape. I do feel I could benefit from one or two more depth players and perhaps will head back to the African Continent. I’ll be back with a further post once all business is complete.

I've always been envious of how widespread your recruitment is yet how detailed you still make it. I always find one stumbling block and can't overcome it enough to complete the deal but you repeatedly find these diamonds and get them to do well! I'm also looking forward to your scouting trip to Africa - did you say you had the leagues loaded to help gather stats? My big issue is that I have not..

Here are the stats from a full back in the Ivorian top league but I have no idea, given the lack of detail on that league, how accurate they are:

7647c9d2492435ec919d69b0f2a70a6b.png

Looks a really poor number of prog passes for a FB but I can't see enough of whether that is because of the role he plays, because of his ability or because he's just not performing well! So yeah, I want to dive into your approach a bit more.

The fact your diving into my approach is a huge compliment considering how am trying to emulate yours and shrews recruitment analysis.

I do like the new scouting with recruitment focuses but I still think we should be able to set a club DNA. I still get frustrated sifting through players that are no use whatsoever. 

I don’t have the leagues loaded I wish I had. I  easily could have as I used a few of the ones from steam workshop which are really good. But I opted to just add them from the advanced data. As I wanted to have the balkans leagues loaded. I’ve still found a good few African gems to be honest. And I’m still shopping for ones who have already arrived in Europe.

progressive passes is something am really wanting to explore it’s a key metric as am wanting to transition quicker and be more vertical this year.

planning another short recruitment piece but I think I’ll wait till end of the window as there has been some twists and turns in august  

The Final Piece of The Puzzle?

A more conservative system was part of the planning in the summer, with a view to those away European games or for closing out games or perhaps when coming up against very good midfield threes. I did find at times last season we were cut open a little too easy at times if we had over committed to a counterattack and then were hit back quickly.

b4a678e7baa535a6e2351d74ad547030.png

The idea, drop an anchor in front of the defence, give license to both 8's to join in with a front two that can hold the ball to allow the support after direct passes. By no means the finished article but certainly has the creative juices flowing, so much so it could have a knock-on effect to the other two systems.

Back 3/5 defences can allow for a great base to give the support players more license to join in and this is where am going to, it should aid my desire to transition quickly. My desire to create a style that was previously the complete opposite when winning the ball is providing a lovely tactical journey which am beginning to fall in love with.

7bce903e8d136fdb4cf6ca5f904fcd8c.png

This led me down the path of looking for a physical striker. Of course, with funds tight he also had to be mobile and capable of banging the goals in, so any old lump wasn’t going to do. The four I landed on were a real mixed bag,

Dragan was a flair player (Flair, Passing, Balance) outscoring his XG showed he had a goal in him as well, my only concern was the level he done it at and the fact he didn’t lend himself to our pressing forward role which I would need him to double up as. In other circumstances I would have jumped at him to offer a niche, something a little different but funding is tight.

At the other end of the scale Preslav Borukov sits, more of a pressing forward than a target man even though he boasts decent physicality his trait suggests he could become a long-term replacement for Monschein. certainly, one to keep an eye on after starting to find his feet this season.

Knoll was the oldest of the bunch and was playing in the regional division in German. He was the most aggressive in the sense that he shot a lot more, but he also lacked hitting the target as much. He would provide a smaller transfer fee, but he wouldn’t be shy on the contract side of things. His big stumbling block was his pace, backed up with a lack of technical ability.

The choice striker and signing would be Sandro Kulenovic, a powerful striker who’s scored 20 leagues in the last two seasons on loan at Lokomotiov Zagreb. He supreme physicals and DNA of 92 sets him well ahead in terms of attributes. His trait comes deep adds another dimension, and the fact he can play every role I intended to use. 

Under a goal a game isn’t prolific by any sense of the word, but his 5.34 completed pressures per 90 and 53% of shots om target gives me belief i can really optimise him. He supreme physicals and DNA of 92 sets him well ahead in terms of attributes. His trait comes deep adds another dimension, and the fact he can play every role I intended to use. Under a goal a game isn’t prolific by any sense of the word, but his 5.34 completed pressures per 90 and 53% of shots om target gives me belief i can really optimise him.

600k with a further 400k in add on looks smart business. At 23 its time he really started living up to his full potential, now it’s about us giving him the platform to do so. My hope is he proves to be the final piece of the puzzle. Business was intended to be closed at this early stage but there is always the preverbal spanner in the works.

78354434649e27dc2e5ecb332f031916.png

The keeper comes to me with the usual and am certianly not getting into the habit of polayers being bigger than the club. In the end im looking to optimise profit so he was stuck up for sale and fetched 300k. 

d549d667c836772401e20c73753cba90.png

Someone Franz is familiar with having known about him through the Red Bull connection between Salzburg and Leipzig.

A massive upgrade in my eyes and a cheap one considering he is well below market value due to the fact he was on the transfer list. I had opted to go for Popovic at Partizan Belgrade who is arguably a better shot stopper but lacked sweeper keeper tendencies, but he instead accepted a new deal.

42d1a37dd00c640be36538070e2276a1.png

No surpise really after blowing them away four times last season.

A new assistant manager was in pipeline, finally shifting the last of the remaining staff from the old regime. A few familiar names popped up in the search, but it was someone with a close relationship with Franz Schiemer who stood out as the leading candidate. 

ff46b5c4c74134e45b13c7ed0ec4e419.png

Former youth coach at Salzburg is now entrusted by one of the chosen ones from the club to help him in his quest to become a real number one himself. His direct style 2nd formation help with our DNA, while park the bus is not what we are about, but I felt the connection between the two was a nice nod to realism. 

Edited by SixPointer

fill_metallbau_stadion10.jpg.a295840e179e8a01883fd18e6c0f4071.jpg

Let The Games Begin

Tipped to finish 8th, I would extremely disappointed if we didn’t make the championship group again that for me is the minimum requirement. Granted the distraction that comes with a European campaign may well jeopardise our league form, especially so early in the save.

However, i feel like we have strengthened the squad enough to be competitive on both fronts, two solid options in each position with the ability to switch roles at ease.

1ce760991824e7096f8266a61c6d5842.png

I didn’t think a UEFA Champions league appearance would be on the cards at this stage of the save, even just a qualifier, so I certainly don’t expect a group stage appearance. PSV are veterans and winners of the competition while we are dipping our toes in for the very first time.

35ce394e5bf36f1daf171cc932cc1981.png

A very mixed start on the domestic front. A big cup win gets the ball rolling but against minnows its very hard to get a feel for the level you really are at. A solid point against Wolfsberger put the first point on the board before collapsing on the road at Altach, in truth it was a very poor result and performance to match.

The next two games on paper didn’t look any easier, in fact they don’t get much harder, our bogey ream Austria Wien and the Red Bull winning machine. A hard fought 1-0 with a fully rotated squad due to European commitments (more on that later) brings me immense pleasure. Limiting Salzburg to only one goal, and from a direct freekick is impressive stuff, I felt we were good value for a point.

SKU Amstetten newly promoted look like they could be potential whipping boys, five games in and they look like a level below. Geographically they sit just to the east of Linz while we sit to the west, you could call it a local rivalry so I’m certainly planning on making it one.

Young Keke Topp burst onto the scene in green and black, hitting four goals on his first start. The on-loan Schalke kid was a further addition towards the end of the window, his 21 goals for Schalke 2 was enough to convince me the big target man could become a great alternative to Kulenovic and he’s proved that early on!

d9f7da2e6039bdb79b10b775bc224df8.png

A shock indeed! The decision to sit back in Eindhoven vindicated, the five at the back frustrated our opponents and completely nullified their threat. Young Felix Dietinger had a blinder between the sticks, he was put to task after a very poor start to life in Austria from Josep Martinez.

f63f09c55e2f5677c3f7ff9af7af18ca.png

Allowing PSV's wing backs to have the ball and funnelling the down the flanks and dropping the wing backs into the defensive strata proved a masterstroke. Stopping the crosses into Luke De Jong and man marking him tight stopped the real threat from giving up the flanks.

The 5-3-2 transitioned nicely into a 3-3-2-2 sort of shape in possession not that we enjoyed a lot of it, but it certainly gives food for thought in games where I can allow my opponents down the side and really focus on releasing the two number 8's to become a front four.

884c57c9285a0fe4d17cd117eb0dec17.png

Getting the Dutch giants back to our place and still being in the tie had me torn on how to approach the game. In the end I opted to have a go, nothing ventured nothing gained they say.

Our 20 shots at goal certainly showed our desire even if only 8 found the target. The passing combinations and in possession shape helped us dominate the Dutch giants for almost 120 minutes, with their only spell in dominance leading them to the breakthrough. It was a Luke De Jong header.

Battled until the end and it was time for the man who replaced Tin the giant to grab the headlines..........

c4593312f0f1b5903739fd505b5d64c6.gif

83 minutes on the clock and the corner comes into the front post, Loncar heads it keeper saves it Pfeiffer knocks in the rebound!

600d05ef90c0b9056693322c1211453c.gif

119 minutes on the clock, corner, he strikes again this time he heads home at the front post....... there is pandemonium in the stands the team from a small Austrian town have toppled a Dutch powerhouse and in doing so secure a place in the Europa league at the very least, if they can navigate Scottish side Glasgow Celtic, they will be in the promise land.

7ca83d7ce5ecc88fb9994a4f608feac6.png

In control of the match at 0-0 and captain Michael Martin decides to lunge into a needless two footed tackle. This changes the dynamic and we do well to limit the damage to 0-1 but travelling to Glasgow is not easy and now looks a mammoth task.

My issue here is Martin doesn’t strike me as a player capable of it, aggression 5 bravery 7, no hard tackle instruction on the player, nor the opponent nor asked to get stuck in. I get that people have there moments on the football pitch and the occasion can get to them, but I would expect it from someone a little more capable.

c969da2f3dba93790c8901a379dc229d.png

We made a real go off it in Glasgow, but it wasn’t to be. A step to far and something I can’t complain about, to punch above our weight once is fair enough but punching up enough to qualify for the UCL already is something that never sat right, that said even dropping into the Europa is a stretch.

Kulenovic is off and running in Europe as well now, his tally of 5 goals leads the way and he looks to be finding his feet. The big loss here is Loncar was forced off with a broken leg, the Croatian has been a real rock in our back three since he was snapped up last year.

915a5e9df7437278a0e4878790572051.png

I certainly feel there was tougher draws, As Roma is of course the glamour game in the group. Trips to Plzen across the border and trips to the artic circle could be fruitful, one thing for sure we need to win those respective home matches.

SK Austria Klagenfurt join us the group stages, Rapid Wien are in the UEFA Conference League group stages and RB Salzburg in the UEFA champions league group stages. 4 teams in the groups can only be a good thing as we continue to see our league rise, under the meteoric rise of Salzburg.

ccef09dc547cf215e7319204d604b732.png

The money made is scary, five million euros for not making it into the UCL, and three and half million for making the groups. Bring some much-needed financial l cushion to the club.

A tactical masterclass from you against PSV, dropping those wing-backs certainly provided that defensive stability and as for the return leg bravo. 

You were certainly unfortunate against Celtic and the red card didn't help, but as you said the UCL was ahead of schedule... hopefully the Europa League is the platform to earn you some extra dollar along with picking up some vital coefficient points. 

On 11/12/2022 at 11:27, MattyLewis11 said:

A tactical masterclass from you against PSV, dropping those wing-backs certainly provided that defensive stability and as for the return leg bravo. 

You were certainly unfortunate against Celtic and the red card didn't help, but as you said the UCL was ahead of schedule... hopefully the Europa League is the platform to earn you some extra dollar along with picking up some vital coefficient points. 

I’ve played about 3 months now. And in a way am glad we didn’t make the champions league as I think the heavy defeats would have destroyed morale. Planning on some monthly updates. Work is slow this week as the vessel is delayed so making the most of my time before I have two weeks of no free time 

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

I’ve played about 3 months now. And in a way am glad we didn’t make the champions league as I think the heavy defeats would have destroyed morale. Planning on some monthly updates. Work is slow this week as the vessel is delayed so making the most of my time before I have two weeks of no free time 

That is a very smart way to look at it. Morale is sometimes overlooked when playing FM. 

5d7fca45ac74f8493f4c3883bb1d44c3.png

September 2023

Very successful month, hectic towards the end and playing two games a week certainly tested our squad depth. 

A crucial derby win, a big cup win and two welcome clean sheets in the league. Running Roma close was another plus point with Tirol being a the only true low moment off the month.

Austria Lustenau was brushed aside emphatically, a team that last season cause us problems with their counter attacking style.

Feiertag and co decided to fight fire with fire and nice goal winning the ball back and scoring within five seconds, a great nod to the speed of our transition and exploiting the space in behind.

1976671392_homederby.jpg.10457e76dcbdb0691adf2ad48f5ed2d7.jpg

Oberösterreich-Derby

We claim the bragging rights once again, in front of a sell-out crowd. Club legend Oliver Glasner spoke of the importance of these matches and how they can create momentum.

In truth LASK were more than up for it themselves and were in the driving seat, a red card turned the match, only then did we start to barrage their goal. however, we relied upon set plays to dig us out a hole once again. Kerber smashed in a lovely freekick and Felix Bacher who arrived on a free from WSG Tirol in the summer headed home a Ilenic corner.

d4f3a769358646b7d79992af7cfac548.png

7bf8bb8d49ee8847ce96824a28b8bef3.png

First time ever in the groups and we started like it, flying out the traps into a 1-0 goal lead only to be undone by the team from Rome.

Our gameplan to show them down our outside nullified the threat of their front three, Dybala was man marked with the stopper in the middle and it stopped the F9 running the show. Limiting the Italians to 0.70 XG when you consider a front three of Dybala, Pellegrini and Zaniolo certainly boosted my optimism for our performance in the group.

OFB Cup Second Round

A sublime away performance against Rapid and a frustrating result against Tirol sat either side of a tremendous performance against Strum Graz. It’s no secret that we love playing the team from the second largest city in the southeast region.

6be7bf44bfbdbe7217b996332bb5c7c7.png

The main reason, they set up in a narrow 4-4-2 diamond. Now we predominately play in a narrow shape, so it often becomes a battle of who has the better setup, I seem to win this every time.

They are weak down the flanks as you can see from the assist locations, so by setting up narrow but focusing play down each flank and switching the wingbacks to attack and asking my two front men to stay wide and run wide, I can overload the half space and the wings backs of Graz.

By playing two defensive pivots in front of my back three, we have more than enough cover for their three adventurous front men. The fact they like to control possession allows us time to get back into that solid shape after we attack.

345fcaf9643d35a3dbf0725dc83f6400.png

Clever positioning and intelligent pressing traps limited a team who want to dominate the back to almost nothing. By engaging their wing backs high and man marking the pivot the central front three became so deep and isolated.

While on the other hand our ploy to pull the strikers wide and allow the shadow striker the space to attack, created a lovely overload on the left where three of the five goals came from. The solid base of five players broke into triangles allowing for great ball progression around the front three.

622286240d4fd7b8d20c9adc08430d31.png

All the goals rolled into one....... Four of the five goals all came from moves involving five passes or less, winning the ball back and shifting right onto the attack. The fifth goal is actually a very good move which starts from inside our own half and works from side to side (but that was last season’s philosophy).

Our reward for such a stellar well thought our result is a favourable draw in the next round.

21 minutes ago, rich ruzzian said:

That is a very smart way to look at it. Morale is sometimes overlooked when playing FM. 

Definitely something I always think about! It’s why when choosing friendlies for international breaks i often opt for teams I know I can destroy. 

Edited by SixPointer

meiste-fans-2.jpg.419dccbec44ac0fad532dc6cd8cd1ea7.jpg

Supras 96

October 2023

50b48a384b83435888659f69f6e8fdb1.png

A very mixed month, in all truth I trail blazed my way through it. I stated if I wanted to be competitive in the UEFA Europa group stage, I would need to take points from Bodo/Glimt and Viktoria Plzen, a pair of 1-1 draws on the road does just that.

f3f554f3fb75cc62ee8f9e2d6d1016ba.png

I don’t have Norway loaded, due to the fact I have played there many times due to the fact I work in the country so I felt it would be nice to avoid some of my usual talent spotting.

This did however affect the Bodo prep as now almost every player except the returning Patrick Berg were greyed out. A route one long ball in behind rescued a point in the dying seconds of the game and secured a vital point up in the artic circle.

Stum Graz had learnt their lesson from the demolition job in the cup and managed to take points from us for the first time since Franz Schiemer took the reins at SV Ried. A poor game in truth, however our goal comes from a nice move down the channel and our front two combine perfectly.

21ab0f4419b4516b78d1eb42f365078e.png

Klagenfurt on the paper looked like the performance of the month in reality it was a frustrating one. Going behind again for the third game row, giving ourselves a task to get back into it.

Luckily enough our set plays are still firing, Pfeiffer nodded home a freekick from wide and sealed the deal for the third from a corner. A poor back pass was latched onto for the 2nd in between, so on another day it could have looked a lot different.

6dca69c5f661e06d31084d5ec3ad361f.png

A short drive over the border was a welcomed change after the trek to the Artic circle, however the result was the same. A penalty allowed Plzen to snatch a point in, another day at the office that we couldn’t convert our chances.

The Czech side opted for a narrow system which again allowed me to use the flanks to our advantage, almost using my narrow shape as decoy to transition to the channels after defending narrow. Our goal came from nice play out wide and a fantastic cross and header.

OFB Cup Third Round

498ede7e2b83c6eef1ba3131bdd28a5c.png

A very efficient performance, there was no let-up against the smaller side and allowed no chance of a potential giant killing. 

Finding the net six times will do us the world of good as it’s been a tough month in front of goal, where we have failed to capitalise on our dominance. All three of the front three bagging goals will be a welcome confidence boost.

c81c37d716156d352b4455ab3b0dfaa7.png

Another favourable draw for the quarter final as we manage to avoid RB Salzburg and Wolfsberger who in fact ended up getting each other. SV Horn are going steady in a very competitive 2 Liga, they will need to be respected if the semi-final is to be reached.

1498134405_NewDeal.jpg.555fcc18d02ca744a3aac8ecbac2df92.jpg

The final news from a very quick moth, a new deal for Franz. He will have another two years to continue his growth and his solid work at his boyhood local club.

Edited by SixPointer