Difference between assistant coach and coach in Germany

In German leagues, you can hire multiple assistant coaches. What is the functional difference between them and regular coaches? In other words, is there any reason to offer someone a job as one or the other??

There is an issue with the games language that means that some part of the Data is using US English, even if the default language is set otherwise.  It could be that the assistant coach is actually the assistant Manager, so go to preferences and search for Data language and change that to match the default language and see if that helps.  This may not be the issue but it might be worth checking.

44 minutes ago, FrazT said:

There is an issue with the games language that means that some part of the Data is using US English, even if the default language is set otherwise.  It could be that the assistant coach is actually the assistant Manager, so go to preferences and search for Data language and change that to match the default language and see if that helps.  This may not be the issue but it might be worth checking.

I'm not talking about a difference in language. Call it a manager or coach.

In Germany, and this goes back to multiple FM versions, you can hire multiple assistant managers (or assistant coaches) just like you can hire multiple goalkeeping coaches. Do you get the question now?

image.png.d64da0bed7c4203822f603303eb413ae.png

1 hour ago, BayernMB said:

I started with bayern and had two assistant managers... It was also possible to do that in previous versions.

48 minutes ago, DarJ said:

some clubs irl have 2 assistant managers so they implemented that last year but I'm not sure if every team in Germany have that, it's more common in lower division I think 

Correct, but do you know what the functional difference is between an assistant and a coach?

2 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

Correct, but do you know what the functional difference is between an assistant and a coach?

I mean, it really depends. It's not a universal thing, certain assistant managers might be in charge of tactics, others may lead the training, etc. 

It really depends on what you assign to them.

Edited by (sic)

10 hours ago, (sic) said:

I mean, it really depends. It's not a universal thing, certain assistant managers might be in charge of tactics, others may lead the training, etc. 

It really depends on what you assign to them.

I dont really know what you're talking about. How does it depend on anything? Any coach, general or assistant, can be in charge of tactics or any other training session. 

The root question here is, is there any reason why I would offer a person the job of general coach or assistant coach knowing that there's no limit to the number you can have of each (other than the staff limit directed by the board).

8 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

I dont really know what you're talking about. How does it depend on anything? Any coach, general or assistant, can be in charge of tactics or any other training session. 

The root question here is, is there any reason why I would offer a person the job of general coach or assistant coach knowing that there's no limit to the number you can have of each (other than the staff limit directed by the board).

I think staff limit is ridiculous. You should be given a budget and then decide as manager if you need 4 coaches or 10.

11 hours ago, jcp1417 said:

I think it was a pretty straight forward answer, but sure let me explain more.

The difference depends on that staff member's responsibilities. You can set the responsibilities yourself. So you could have a coach that will do everything your assistant manager would do by the default. You've said it yourself, "Any coach, general or assistant, can be in charge of tactics or any other training session."

So is there any reason why you should offer a person the job of a general coach or an assistant coach, knowing that there's no limit to the number you can have of each? I'd say no. The "title" itself doesn't matter, only their responsibilities do. 

On 27/10/2022 at 04:56, jcp1417 said:

In German leagues, you can hire multiple assistant coaches. What is the functional difference between them and regular coaches? In other words, is there any reason to offer someone a job as one or the other??

this guide explains what the assman does:

https://twoplaymakers.com/how-do-you-appoint-the-best-assistant-manager-in-football-manager-8-pointers-to-guide-you/

A basic coach for let's say 5 star "attack - tactical" training does just that. They can, however, give additional feedback about training for example. See "Responsibilities -> Advice and Reports" for that..

One would think that, generally, an assman expects a higher wage compared to a coach.

Basically, an assman can do coaching duties if you want him to, but he's more universal, can do several different things, while a coach is usually only good at leading a team training session of one of the different categories (Gk_Shot Stopping, Gk_Handling, Def_Tactical, Def_Technical, Atk_Tactical, Atk_Technical, Pos_Tactical, Pos_Technical, Fit_Strength & Fit_Quickness).

Edited by SC00P0NE

10 hours ago, SC00P0NE said:

this guide explains what the assman does:

https://twoplaymakers.com/how-do-you-appoint-the-best-assistant-manager-in-football-manager-8-pointers-to-guide-you/

A basic coach for let's say 5 star "attack - tactical" training does just that. They can, however, give additional feedback about training for example. See "Responsibilities -> Advice and Reports" for that..

One would think that, generally, an assman expects a higher wage compared to a coach.

Basically, an assman can do coaching duties if you want him to, but he's more universal, can do several different things, while a coach is usually only good at leading a team training session of one of the different categories (Gk_Shot Stopping, Gk_Handling, Def_Tactical, Def_Technical, Atk_Tactical, Atk_Technical, Pos_Tactical, Pos_Technical, Fit_Strength & Fit_Quickness).

I appreciate the effort, but I think you missed what I'm actually asking. Knowing that an asst-man can be assigned the exact same responsibilities as a coach, is there any reason to make a coach an assistant over a regular coach?

12 hours ago, (sic) said:

I think it was a pretty straight forward answer, but sure let me explain more.

The difference depends on that staff member's responsibilities. You can set the responsibilities yourself. So you could have a coach that will do everything your assistant manager would do by the default. You've said it yourself, "Any coach, general or assistant, can be in charge of tactics or any other training session."

So is there any reason why you should offer a person the job of a general coach or an assistant coach, knowing that there's no limit to the number you can have of each? I'd say no. The "title" itself doesn't matter, only their responsibilities do. 

The difference is not their responsibilities. I set the responsibilities AFTER I hire them. There is no such thing as "assistant manager" and "general coach" responsibilities. I hire them as a coach or an assistant manager, then I assign responsibilities. 

In English leagues, you can only sign one assistant manager so it doesn't really matter what the difference is. In German leagues, assistant managers and coaches come from the same limit pool, meaning you can sign 10 assistants and 0 coaches or 10 coaches and 0 assistants. So the question is, why would you hire one over the other, which you finally did with your very last sentence. 

This thread can probably be closed.

I think the consensus is that there is NO difference other than expected wage demands which seems pointless.

Edited by jcp1417

44 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

This thread can probably be closed.

I think the consensus is that there is NO difference other than expected wage demands which seems pointless.

the ass.man/coach maybe trains your B/reserve teams and youth teams as well while the regular coach only handles 1st team training?
Cant remember the rules for germany now..

Edited by zindrinho

1 hour ago, zindrinho said:

the ass.man/coach maybe trains your B/reserve teams and youth teams as well while the regular coach only handles 1st team training?
Cant remember the rules for germany now..

Nope, both assistants and gen coaches can train the II teams. neither help with U19 training

Mhh, what about the star rating of players, though? Isn't that being done by your assman? Additionally, I wonder if Tactical Knowledge has an impact on the quality of your assman's comments/feedback during a match?

I, personally, don't think that it matters if one has one or two assmen.. I see it like that chief scout thing, where you are granted a higher wage budget compared to normal scouts, so if one really good one makes higher wage demands, you can make him chief scout..

Edited by SC00P0NE