FM23 difficulty

I recently started playing FM23 and I am wondering if anyone else has noticed an odd fluctuation in the abilities of teams. I started a save with oxford city, in vanarama south, a team I was able to get promoted to nationals in one season on fm22, and a team that is predicted to come in 8th. I got fired after having not won a game in 15 matches, and even when going against the worst teams in the league, it was recommended I change my mentality to defensive. I then played ebbsfleet, one of the only professional teams in vanarama south, with a wage budget of almost double that of any other team. This is a team I have won the vanarama south league without dropping a game before, and now after 12 matches I am mid table, having won only 7 of those.

Is FM23 harder than previous games, or is it just unlucky?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom, it's a different game, so it might be that there is different things that are working now, that influence the outcome in games. Mentality might be more important, maybe the new out of possesion options might make a difference. Thats why during beta most people take a bigger team so they can figure out what works, what doesnt work and then get to the drawing table to get ready for nov. 8th. 

Took west ham to 4th in EPL, Ajax won the Eredivisie by 19 pts 3rd place 30+ pts behind. Started a VNS unemployed save, noticed its harder to get hired this year when you're unemployed, will see how i get on took over Chippenham in November and its tougher thats for sure, but i dont mind the game getting a bit tougher. It's harder in Real Life too. Let's be honest never seen a VNN/VNS team get back to back promotions to League 1. Will say this VNN/VNS is tougher to get out of then National and league 2.

If anything the game is too easy.

Last night I just finished my first season at United and I won the league, Both cups and the Europa League and I used one tactic which I made from scratch the entire season. Lost 1 game all season(away at City) and Ronaldo went to score 59 goals in all competitions 10/10 for difficulty level and realism.

The highlight for me was a game against Crystal Palace which I won 6-0. I was leading 2-0 and Casemiro was sent off in the 37 minute and I managed to score 4 more goals after that. Absolute joke.

image.png.3691acdc8dd058a34bdfab6811442501.png

3 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

Last night I just finished my first season at United and I won the league, Both cups and the Europa League and I used one tactic which I made from scratch the entire season. Lost 1 game all season(away at City) and Ronaldo went to score 59 goals in all competitions 10/10 for difficulty level and realism.

The highlight for me was a game against Crystal Palace which I won 6-0. I was leading 2-0 and Casemiro was sent off in the 37 minute and I managed to score 4 more goals after that. Absolute joke.

What coaching badges did you give yourself at the start? You should try no coaching badges and sunday league reputation. 

12 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

I think especially this game would be nice to get reported with .pkm attached. 

Edited by Pasonen

18 minutes ago, Tank1985 said:

What coaching badges did you give yourself at the start? You should try no coaching badges and sunday league reputation. 

Getting a job at Manchester United with no badges or experience? 10/10 for realism.

24 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

I suppose you can also post the xG table ?

5 hours ago, Aoyao said:

It is beta

My god this has got to be most stupid comment.

Its a BETA but there has been history of things not working on full release and at times never fixed ( Dynamic youth rankings, Hording of older players instead of buying youth, the crazy pass completion stats, sprint capacity that was brought in but never worked till FM23) 

Maybe hold SI to a higher standard ? Evidence is there that they just move on 

8 hours ago, Tank1985 said:

I've seen several members here mention badges in reference to this yrs FM, how does badges and prev experience play into match day outcome? Do your players work harder if your avatar has 20 motivation rather than 1?

If so, has it always been this way or is it a new feat for FM23?

20 minutes ago, eye-switcher said:

If its Man united its probably working as intended, its the same story every year :)

Yeah, and that's part of the problem with the game difficulty IMO.

Harry Maguire is still a top Premier League defender in the game and it's embarrassing.

1 minute ago, zindrinho said:

I've seen several members here mention badges in reference to this yrs FM, how does badges and prev experience play into match day outcome? Do your players work harder if your avatar has 20 motivation rather than 1?

If you are an amateur coach managing a top team the players basically not going to respect you in any way and It's going to have a major effect on moral.

Its like: "Hey, good job on scoring that hat trick!"

"Sod off!!!"

Just now, SergeiG said:

If you are an amateur coach managing a top team the players basically not going to respect you in any way and It's going to have a major effect on moral.

Its like: "Hey, good job on scoring that hat trick!"

"Sod off!!!"

morale, yes.

but match results? As in I am winning way too many games way too easy because I have a higher set of badges or previous experience on my manager avatar?

2 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

morale, yes.

but match results? As in I am winning way too many games way too easy because I have a higher set of badges or previous experience on my manager avatar?

Poor or high morale is going to effect your result. Or at least it should.

1 minute ago, SergeiG said:

Poor or high morale is going to effect your result. Or at least it should.

I am asking more directly if my badges or prev experience have any impact on match results, since I've seen several members here mentioned it whenever a "FM23 is too easy" thread has been opened this yr. Didn't see any of that in the FM22 is too easy threads.

3 minutes ago, Harrymcintyre said:

Nice results, Sergei, I sure wish my grimsby town team could score so easily. 

Just go and get Ronaldo when his contract runs out. He scored like 35% of my goals.

1 minute ago, zindrinho said:

I am asking more directly if my badges or prev experience have any impact on match results, since I've seen several members here mentioned it whenever a "FM23 is too easy" thread has been opened this yr. Didn't see any of that in the FM22 is too easy threads.

Lol, well I did open such thread last year, and I did open another one of those this year too but SI can't take criticism so it was locked because 5 comments out of 5 pages was analogies about food and drink and it's unadaptable.

9 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

Lol, well I did open such thread last year, and I did open another one of those this year too but SI can't take criticism so it was locked because 5 comments out of 5 pages was analogies about food and drink and it's unadaptable.

Yeah I saw this years and that's where some good members asked about badges and prev exp, at least I thought that was the thread, cant find the posts now and was too slow to reply while the thread was still open.

I just started a youth only challenge in norwegian 3rd tier with the team expected to end dead last. 3 games before season ends I ran all over the league leaders but only managed a draw, securing me 2nd spot and a playoff for promotion rather than the expected impossible fight against relegation.

If the challenge could be more realistic if I didn't give myself any badges I might start over. I have a terrible rep compared to the players still, 10 or 15% on my manager profile but gave myself the highest badge possible so I could be an effective coach under "training -> coaches" tab.

8 hours ago, SergeiG said:

Getting a job at Manchester United with no badges or experience? 10/10 for realism.

Is you getting the United job realistic? No, You getting the Manchester United job with sunday league reputation and no badges is more realistic because you don't have a reputation or badges (as far as I'm aware) 

3 minutes ago, Tank1985 said:

Is you getting the United job realistic? No, You getting the Manchester United job with sunday league reputation and no badges is more realistic because you don't have a reputation or badges (as far as I'm aware) 

Low quality bait.

2 hours ago, zindrinho said:

@Johnny Ace @danielgear 

As the previous thread was locked, I would love to hear more about how badges and past experience affects matches and results if you have the time/effort to do so? 

Is it all about morale and keeping the squad happy or do my managers attributes directly affect how well your team plays?

2 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

@Johnny Ace @danielgear 

As the previous thread was locked, I would love to hear more about how badges and past experience affects matches and results if you have the time/effort to do so? 

Is it all about morale and keeping the squad happy or do my managers attributes directly affect how well your team plays?

I believe your Motivating attribute relates to your team talks, team talks affect player morale so in a way, yes

Your reputation (so past achievements) will also affect your influence on players ie the higher your reputation, the more respect for you they'll have 

15 hours ago, LordAEM said:

Phantom, it's a different game, so it might be that there is different things that are working now, that influence the outcome in games. Mentality might be more important, maybe the new out of possesion options might make a difference. Thats why during beta most people take a bigger team so they can figure out what works, what doesnt work and then get to the drawing table to get ready for nov. 8th. 

Took west ham to 4th in EPL, Ajax won the Eredivisie by 19 pts 3rd place 30+ pts behind. Started a VNS unemployed save, noticed its harder to get hired this year when you're unemployed, will see how i get on took over Chippenham in November and its tougher thats for sure, but i dont mind the game getting a bit tougher. It's harder in Real Life too. Let's be honest never seen a VNN/VNS team get back to back promotions to League 1. Will say this VNN/VNS is tougher to get out of then National and league 2.

It isnt that it is too easy, I have always found the game to be too easy, but the abilities of teams just seems so weird. For example, in my new save, ebbsfleet is now 23rd in the league, where as concord is fourth. (ebbsfleet is the predicted 1st place and concord is the predicted 24th place). The same thing is happening in other leagues too where the better the team the closer it is to the bottom of the league. They said they wanted to make it more likely for the underdog to win a match, but idk maybe they went too far and now the worse team wins most of the time.

Edited by phantombandit

15 hours ago, Tank1985 said:

This was the subject of another thread- I have done that with very low level sides and experienced the same as SergeyG.

Sure, if you start with lower rep you’ll find it more difficult to motivated bigger sides, and morale will tend to drop more quickly with these teams, affecting your results.

But if you start with lower rep and manage a lower rep side, you can easily overachieve with very little input with same meta tactics, despite the hope of smarter manager AI promoted as headline features.

Really the only way of getting a challenge is by starting with a very low rep manager managing a higher rep side. You will struggle to motivate your players which will eventually affect your results- whereby you might get sacked, and start again at a lower rep side matching your own rep, after which it becomes too easy once more.

Edited by sthptngomad76

On 26/10/2022 at 09:00, SergeiG said:

It's easy cause it's United ... the budget the players the coaching badges the staff the scouting system the training. Now go down to the Vanorama South and try winning with Dorking.

49 minutes ago, Pepito7 said:

It's easy cause it's United ... the budget the players the coaching badges the staff the scouting system the training. Now go down to the Vanorama South and try winning with Dorking.

That's a big part of my point, United is no longer a "superpower" in the football world and should not win every cup in the first season and definitely should not score 4 goals after their only defensive midfielder was sent off in a game.

But to your point, I managed lower leagues before and it was easy. The start is a little bit harder but after you get the wheels spinning it's just pressing continue, pay attention to the transfer market and that's about it.

18 hours ago, phantombandit said:

It isnt that it is too easy, I have always found the game to be too easy, but the abilities of teams just seems so weird. For example, in my new save, ebbsfleet is now 23rd in the league, where as concord is fourth. (ebbsfleet is the predicted 1st place and concord is the predicted 24th place). The same thing is happening in other leagues too where the better the team the closer it is to the bottom of the league. They said they wanted to make it more likely for the underdog to win a match, but idk maybe they went too far and now the worse team wins most of the time.

I like this take !!! Here is why finished first season with AJAX, 19 pts clear from feyenoord in 2nd 30+ pts clear of 3th which was i think Fortuna Sittard or Cambuur. PSV finishing 5th after sitting around 10th place all season, but 44 pts behind me. Sorry but that would never happen in real life. Thats almost half the points available in the league. Did SI go overboard on this setting, would be good to know.

@phantombanditdidnt really see anything other then the new feature video so hearing your take and with what i saw, i think you might be on to something NICE WORK !!!

41 minutes ago, LordAEM said:

I like this take !!! Here is why finished first season with AJAX, 19 pts clear from feyenoord in 2nd 30+ pts clear of 3th which was i think Fortuna Sittard or Cambuur. PSV finishing 5th after sitting around 10th place all season, but 44 pts behind me. Sorry but that would never happen in real life. Thats almost half the points available in the league. Did SI go overboard on this setting, would be good to know.

I think it has a lot to do with who their manager is. The AI managers doesnt know FM like we do, they just set up their team and often have no way of scoring goals or defending properly, just trying to translate what the real life manager is doing into most suitable roles and TIs in FM. Manager changes have always had huge outcomes in FM, struggling sides becomes unbeatable when a more suited AI manager is employed.

Could it be that the lower leagues are too easy no matter which team you play as or tactics you use simply because lower league AI managers are just too bad at FM? Could explain why my U19 sides and 2nd teams always win their divisions instead of relegation as well, because I force them to use my tactics. In theory the 2nd and U19 teams should be doing worse, since they are locked to using my tactic and very rarely adapts to the game they're playing like I do with the tactics. 

4 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

I think it has a lot to do with who their manager is. The AI managers doesnt know FM like we do, they just set up their team and often have no way of scoring goals or defending properly, just trying to translate what the real life manager is doing into most suitable roles and TIs in FM. Manager changes have always had huge outcomes in FM, struggling sides becomes unbeatable when a more suited AI manager is employed.

Could it be that the lower leagues are too easy no matter which team you play as or tactics you use simply because lower league AI managers are just too bad at FM? Could explain why my U19 sides and 2nd teams always win their divisions instead of relegation as well, because I force them to use my tactics. In theory the 2nd and U19 teams should be doing worse, since they are locked to using my tactic and very rarely adapts to the game they're playing like I do with the tactics. 

i would say PSVs AI manager should still be better then Fortuna's AI manager. I've never really seen PSV struggle like i have this first season. 

Just now, LordAEM said:

i would say PSVs AI manager should still be better then Fortuna's AI manager. I've never really seen PSV struggle like i have this first season. 

I didn't mean better or worse, rather more suitable to the team or that their prefered tactics are succesful on FM. We FM players know how to score goals, the AI just sets up the tactics like the manager does in real life with no regards to whether or not its gonna work on FM.

1 hour ago, zindrinho said:

I didn't mean better or worse, rather more suitable to the team or that their prefered tactics are succesful on FM. We FM players know how to score goals, the AI just sets up the tactics like the manager does in real life with no regards to whether or not its gonna work on FM.

isnt that what changed this year, where they do kinda know what will work against other teams over time?

On 25/10/2022 at 23:27, LordAEM said:

So I just finished my season, with a team that is predicted to finish 8th out of 24, I won 5 games. The only reason why I won those 5 games was because I save scummed over and over because I needed wins to not get fired. This means that based soly on the actual on pitch result, I won 0 games in a 46 game season. IDK, that seems ridiculous to me. And thats not a 'my tactic is bad', you should be able to win a single game out of 46 with a bad tactic if you just have better players.

5 hours ago, phantombandit said:

So I just finished my season, with a team that is predicted to finish 8th out of 24, I won 5 games. The only reason why I won those 5 games was because I save scummed over and over because I needed wins to not get fired. This means that based soly on the actual on pitch result, I won 0 games in a 46 game season. IDK, that seems ridiculous to me. And thats not a 'my tactic is bad', you should be able to win a single game out of 46 with a bad tactic if you just have better players.

Sometimes it really is your tactics. If you can find a way to score goals, then it really shouldn't be a problem to win games in FM. Even if you are conceding a lot.

8 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Sometimes it really is your tactics. If you can find a way to score goals, then it really shouldn't be a problem to win games in FM. Even if you are conceding a lot.

I tried four of the default tactics that save. I get the default tactics shouldnt be the best, but they shouldnt be literally 0% win rate. I think they have lost sight of the fact that not everyone has been playing this game for 10 years and there are newer players who just dont know how to make a tactic, let alone how to respond to tactical changes by the AI. I get that was one of the primary selling points of fm23, but there should be a difficulty or level or something. Making the game completely unplayable for newer players isnt a very good business model (and I am not even brand new, I have been playing for about 6 months).

On 27/10/2022 at 02:21, zindrinho said:

@Johnny Ace @danielgear 

I've always played as a Lower League Manager. Right now, I'm managing the weakest playable team in Northern Ireland. I've given myself no badges and am an ex-Sunday League footballer.

As a result, my personal attributes are mostly 1s with a few 2s. There are 2 immediate consequences that I can see. Firstly, players tend not to respond to my teamtalks thus have no morale boost, as mentioned already. The second is that my contribution to team training is virtually nil. I get half a star in every category I train. Further down the line, I'm unlikely to get offered other jobs if I want out due to lack of success.

In terms of perceived difficulty level, this beta is feeling really good. My tactical tweaks appear to make a greater difference than previous versions, but the players are suitably hopeless for this level. Now admittedly, playing as a LLaMa, you can be far more forgiving of flaws in the ME. For example, I tell my keeper to roll the ball out to a defender, and he invariably hoofs it up the pitch. ME flaw, or he just doesn't trust the defenders? You can construct that kind of narrative at this level. But you can see changes like adjusting the D-line now. I'm defaulting to Cautious mentality and still scored 6 in my last friendly (4 being defensive howlers). I'd never go below Positive in previous incarnations.

4 hours ago, phantombandit said:

I tried four of the default tactics that save. I get the default tactics shouldnt be the best, but they shouldnt be literally 0% win rate. I think they have lost sight of the fact that not everyone has been playing this game for 10 years and there are newer players who just dont know how to make a tactic, let alone how to respond to tactical changes by the AI. I get that was one of the primary selling points of fm23, but there should be a difficulty or level or something. Making the game completely unplayable for newer players isnt a very good business model (and I am not even brand new, I have been playing for about 6 months).

None of the templates are "literally a 0 % win rate". I checked. Some are more effective than others but, unlike FM22, there is no template that offers a much better percentage than the others. In fact, this iteration offers more freedom to beginners because it does not force them to choose from the start a combination of instructions based exclusively on a very high pressing.

Edited by GreenTriangle

6 hours ago, phantombandit said:

In FM23, the newbie is presented with hints when creating a new tactic.  A thumbs-up on a couple of strategies then a hint as to a good formation.  From there, they can ask the assman to choose a Starting line up. It's not a bad idea to use those hints as a basis and tweak from there.

6 hours ago, phantombandit said:

It was click and continue before in previous games it should be challenging and I wouldn't even say this game is hard it's really not 

Edited by Mcfc1894

On 27/10/2022 at 17:52, zindrinho said:

This is the point though isn't it? The AI versions of real managers should set up like their real life counterparts, and initially achieve similar results. If manager and player attributes were accurate and tactics worked as well as they should compared to real life, playing with the first transfer window off should result in a league table by 1st Jan that is very similar to the table IRL (obviously accounting for injuries, luck & chance, refereeing decisions, etc, which would likely balance out over that 15-20 games anyway).

It is at this point when we can safely say that everything is closer to real life and realistic. 

I've not got FM23, but if Ebbsfleet are bottom (top irl) and Concord are top (21st irl) in the first season, with no transfers, happening across multiple saves and set ups, then either there is a problem with attributes or the way the match engine works. In my opinion of course. 

There's no such thing as an easy FM or a hard FM, what there is, is tactics that exploit spectacularly well a certain match engine, or that work spectacularly badly with that match engine.

Which is why every single year we have simultaneously people here saying FM is super easy and others saying it is super hard.

Now... There could well be something seriously wrong in the game that makes a certain gameplan too easy or too hard, 100%, yes. But you always have these massive differences between the experience of some and the experience of others. 95% of the time it's about tactics, 5% about other factors such as some versions of FM really making your team overperform or underperform if your team dynamics are high/low, etc.

Pick team, 433 DM, geggenpress > win things 

Exactly, this is the reason why the "download tactics" section is so popular. Some players do not know that in fact there is no need for any special tactics. Gegenpress + 433 DM = win things.

By the way, in FM23 gegenpress is less effective than in FM22. It's not totally ineffective, but there are other configurations that work very well.

Edited by GreenTriangle

3 minutes ago, GreenTriangle said:

Exactly, this is the reason why the "download tactics" section is so popular. Some players do not know that in fact there is no need for any special tactics. Gegenpress + 433 DM = win things.

By the way, in FM23 gegenpress is less effective than in FM22. It's not totally ineffective, but there are other configurations that work very well.

Honestly I've just used the same 433 DM Geggenpress from '22 and hard pressed to see if it's less effective.

From what I've watched of the Zealand/Benji/Wts video that was put out the other day, looks like they're thinking the same.

They've maybe tweaked the fitness levels etc to make it harder, by the squad management of a player controlled team Vs an AI controlled team pretty much negates any of the tweaks they make.

SI put out the stats for the beta so far and shock 433DM is favourite tactic

Very good. Have you tried without high pressing? "Trigger press" only on standard and transition based on something other than counter press / counter ?

24 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

SI put out the stats for the beta so far and shock 433DM is favourite tactic

Of course it is. All the tactics creators tend to keep their old inventions, and in FM 22 no less than 23 of the first 100 tactics listed on fmbase as "the best" were based on 4-3-3 DM. Another 16 were based on 4-2-3-1. The 4-3-3 configuration continues to be very good, but I am convinced that even more effective configurations will be found in FM23. Moreover, there will be effective tactics that will not be based on gegenpress.

Edited by GreenTriangle