• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

The skin is very interesting!

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

Definitely is! I wish I had more free time so I could load it and get stuck into it. Perhaps a FM24 project will suit it for me. 

Thanks both. I'm not trying to sell this to you but I know one of the big changes that puts people off is the move away from the traditional attribute numbers... 

I have this set up as a selector so that you can use that anyway but I'm likely to completely move back to that for FM24 as that means I can do more attribute tracking but also give myself time to really dive into the statistical stuff without making the skin more niche than it needs to be! Here is Alexis Mac Allister to show you the 'normal' attributes:

eebb7955534f7233011338f1fd699f9a.png

December 2032

image.png.9f3e711a1f06003b9f547d0639cfb2cb.png image.png.815e9f01fcf5c37da2d9ca482469b2dc.pngimage.png.ca21b19dd125b5ce3db2d1eafd31782e.pngimage.png.780b4862e832d512e9a39477abb863af.pngimage.png.140a07b8d35a1f2cc9bd1e4c1a0ac851.png

What a month! I targeted eight points in the league but took ten as well as a real sign of intent in the Champions League.

We were frustrated by Roma and Milan, to some extent, but in the latter our constant threat paid off as Santos netted the winner. Against Barca, as mentioned, we let them have the ball and just hit them on the counter time and time again. The Juventus Stadium saw a gritty game but one that we came away victorious in, giving us a commanding lead at the top of the table, before my second choice squad rounded the year off with a comprehensive win against Palermo, with a double from Lorenzo Lucca.

As we near half way point, all of our metrics look good - however, there are a couple of issues that are creeping in. We're becoming far less secure at converting our shots: sometimes this is due to the distance (and quality) of them, but there are elements to rotation and keeping my strikers in form that I need to consider as we move into the new year.

image.png.cad8fd7d7b4a5ea3408fbc30bd2ddc76.png

The table looks great at Christmas! Seven points to Juve and an imperious defensive record, as we look to best the eight conceded last year in a considerable more aggressive tactical style, too. Roma and Fiorentina have kept the pace whilst both Milan sides have really struggled this year, much to my delight. At the bottom, newly promoted Sampdoria are cut adrift but there is hope for newly promoted Piacenza and my feeder team, SPAL, who haven't quite hit the heights they did a few years back.

image.thumb.png.97cb0ad3fc2db90db2a15d22a5e87a8c.png

January feels nicer. Full points and a couple of additions to the squad would see in 2033 really well for me!

image.thumb.png.0929701ffab011b3b530e5bed85cb838.png

Forza La Dea!

5 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Thanks both. I'm not trying to sell this to you but I know one of the big changes that puts people off is the move away from the traditional attribute numbers... 

I have this set up as a selector so that you can use that anyway but I'm likely to completely move back to that for FM24 as that means I can do more attribute tracking but also give myself time to really dive into the statistical stuff without making the skin more niche than it needs to be! Here is Alexis Mac Allister to show you the 'normal' attributes:

I don’t think I’d care about numbers if I could use an octogon tbh. 

I rarely use numbers in any decision (which is why I went with DNA in order to force myself to use them) as I feel the octogon shows me what I need for each position

36 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

I don’t think I’d care about numbers if I could use an octogon tbh. 

I rarely use numbers in any decision (which is why I went with DNA in order to force myself to use them) as I feel the octogon shows me what I need for each position

Octagons? Yeah, got those too...

6abff821e2e92a2911008510c807f67e.png

Honestly - I don't use them enough to warrant them being there, but they are there!

7 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

how did u change the attributes numbers looks great

1 hour ago, 01revenge said:

how did u change the attributes numbers looks great

From a selector built into my skin:

44c8c413f7b3d684353ac95d0e65350e.png

If you're asking if you can do this then, yes, the selector is there on older versions but my newest version of the skin is not publically available.

10 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

I think I’m old fashioned and like the attribute numbers to be honest and then supplement them with added data. 

January 2033

image.png.06b639ff07ebbc7aa76f6d822a74d381.pngimage.png.bc1d8f75ff4f9c0036dd0efb895d097d.pngimage.png.903295e469d1c6f6862d6e3397e04671.png

image.png.f580b3c92cdaa39834e1920222f3b644.pngimage.png.b8a367a4f9e51dcf67284a9703bf2151.pngimage.png.65853576396ccf352d0e65f0f3f6ced2.png

We're good. Very, very good.

We've decimated pretty much anything in front of us, playing some fantastic football, until we got to the derby against Brescia, anyway. Lots of sitting back and watching beautiful football, crafted by fantastic players and a lot less of analytical thoughts and tactical tweaks at this stage.

image.png.f49fc96daece88733d41ea132c988e0e.png

Just the one incoming this month and a big one: our record buy! Joao Moura (full screenshot can be found by clicking on the thumbnail above) is a huge upgrade when looked at in comparison with Wisdom Amey, who I decided to cash in on. His move to big-spending AEK will earn him €155k per week and I've got the better player at the end of it! For our €34.5m, I think I've got the perfect third centre back. A man who is supremely confident across all defensive areas but also possesses a few fantastic skills that make him more suited to the wide role: namely his Crossing and overall physical nature. What is more - he's virtually two footed so can slot in at right back if I want to attack down the left and at left back if I want to switch it round. At 21, he's not even the finished article and I think we've potentially, in Moura - Okoli - Fusari - Joao Roberto, the strongest defense in Europe.

These things do come at a cost. If I want to grow, I will need to continue to make, and keep promises, such as Zenga's contract demands. Fortunately, a deal worth €110k p/w -  making him my top earner, marginally - was quite easy to negotiate for a player who I also consider to be among the top players in Europe right now: 1.28 goals/90 certainly adds weight to that argument.

Arriving in mid-January and ineligible for the Champions League

image.png.40b70c5d4abe28b9cd6cc8e1c2ab4d39.png

image.thumb.png.44ea28be83e0498a97c158c734756c6d.png

Things are looking somewhat sealed, already. When you look at our comparative stats (a new panel I've just built in the skin), you'll see that we don't really lead the league in anything other than dribbles and keeping teams out of our defensive areas, but, right now, it's just the 'perfect storm' in that everything we touch is turning to gold. We're simply unstoppable and, whatever team I put out, we are able to dominate and perform to a really high standard. It is, with the probable first-ever Scudetto coming to Bergamo that I see my stint here as being 'done.' I'd love to win the Champions League and I'll see how we go this season but I do feel that this ultra high level of league does not suit what I want to do in FM - and that is to develop youth and then build something tactical to get the best out of them. Granted - I've brought Lanzo, Ragatzu, Costa, Zenga, Luca De Zerbi, Andrea De Zerbi, Memaj, Ferrigno and Pacifico into the first team during my near-four-year reign here but it's so easy to ignore the bigger club picture of developing all of the players - when I know that 90% of them aren't even going to kick a ball for the first team, especially as we get stronger and stronger.

There is no 'natural career plan' after reaching these heights but I do fancy the idea of some sabbatical time before moving home to Buenos Aires - potentially via the MLS. As both leagues follow the calendar, they'll be at their midpoint at the end of this season so I may keep my eyes peeled, knowing that this Atalanta squad could potentially go on to get stronger and stronger providing the right successor for me is found.

That being said, I'll give February the best shot that I can and I'm totally committed to this job - for the time being.

image.thumb.png.8f18c2463433d540c165325190a0c824.png

Forza La Dea!

Edited by _Ben_

3 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

2 GA is just ridiculous!

I know. It's surpassed what I even thought I could do, defensively!

image.png.9c60db7f4692290b4dfbc0554bae2791.png image.png.15621f78dc4bc52530e38c92264324c3.png image.png.2b1664d267f048994c755f9bb717f144.png image.png.231c110de081cd55893816a88656c565.png

Attributes can be seen by clicking the thumbnails.

This back four is just insane! My normal 'fun' comes from getting the best out of, quite frankly, mediocre players but here I've got four absolutely world class players with an elite keeper behind them. I am, somewhat, looking forward to moving to a club where I don't have these elite players - so that I can bring through youngsters and develop this back line but right now I'm just enjoying what I see. The fact I'm looking to 'upgrade' Okoli - probably for a more technical ball player - also says a lot about this side!

4 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

Like the changes you’ve made to your skins :thup:

Thanks! I'm trying to take a break from skinning for a little while to get a bit more actual playing time completed. I know the saves can roll over to FM24 but I am conscious that it may not be an easy process and I know that I'll likely be drawn into something else, anyway.

February 2033

image.png.7807d9d393dbd3b449702284b86d5e79.pngimage.png.2dd2116ce0107b561a3bc0fc4a2bf5fb.pngimage.png.910e905857adc6da193602660e4966da.pngimage.png.23df21df2eb3f60e63fe9b5df69ebf1e.png

image.png.67aca216f912297132bd7e6d87dcc7b6.pngimage.png.b0f5f39383cd3ded660b7ff41c3b1cd3.png image.png.be25260001345019e22fd7d3ce93c4a4.png

A lovely run out for some youngsters in the cup against Serie B side Gubbio. It was, however, left to Luciano Costa to open the scoring before U20 striker, and debutant, Guariniello, scoring a lovely half volley from the edge of the area.

I wanted to take a deeper look at the different threats of Lazio's 4-4-2 - a shape I've always struggled with. Initially, I lined up like this, with the intention of creating more of a box than a diamond. I decided to switch up a few things as I watched the early encounters: the IWB(d) moved to an IWB(s) but Bruno still formed the bottom vertex of the box, despite some more risk in his game and he moved earlier; split the two MCs into a DLP(s) and AP(s) with the intention of trying to get them to stagger between Lazio's lines and then focused play through the centre. My intention was to create a 4v2 overload in the centre of the pitch, or, ideally, get them to bring in their wider men, nullifying their own attacking threats. Here, you can see that we are quite early in our build up and haven't shifted the box inside but still have our two creators 1v1 with their midfielders - who I'd identified don't like defending too much. Here is an example of when they've brought their left sided midfielder in to deal with that 1v1 situation but then that made me think of another query, with the point driven home here. Ragatzu, in the first image, went over the top to find Zenga and also did in the second image  but there is so much space - without a DM - that there is an easier ball. I, therefore, brought Zenga off and went with De Zerbi as a F9(s) in order to try and create a ball into him that can go quickly out to Lanzo/Santos, who may have created a 1v1. In the end, it didn't work - in scoreline alone. Creating that much xG, with quality chances, but not finding the win, is tough - especially when Carboni's goal came from a rare Fusari mistake, but I will continue to experiment tactically, somewhat in preparation for what I hope my managerial future brings.

In Genoa, we faced another 4-4-2 but Blessin's side, unlike Lazio, had the third worst xGA this season - with 35.37. They press hard and lead the league in terms of ball recoveries but are also the most wasteful with it, losing it 3345 times (152.05 per 90) this season. The use out and out wingers but rank only 18th in cross conversion so my plan is to play centrally, like we did against Lazio but then force them wide. I'd opted for the 4-2-3-1 shape despite the known issues around an inverted wing back with a double pivot - simply because I wanted a man further forward, occupying the space between the defence and midfield that we didn't get against Lazio until I opted for a F9. But, with a poor xGA, we were likely to get chances so wanted Zenga on the pitch to finish. I also opted - experimentally - for the 'Invite Crosses' when looking at the crossing stats but also the size of their forwards as well as to use the 'Play out of Defence' in order to try and work our way, methodically, through their high press to counter. What we got was quite a tough watch...I quickly moved Joao Roberto to a CWB(a) to create a 3-3-1-3 shape, similar to how I've done in the past and spent ages funnelling play down our left in order to overload the space left from their wingback but we just could not finish our dinner! 0.6xG for Zenga, 0.4xG for Ragatzu (whose goal actually counted for a mere 0.02xG) means we've underperformed our xG for the last two league games. I tried to chop and change - play people in different areas and exploit different weaknesses I saw but, given the outcomes of the last two games - may just have been better leaving it alone!

The 'backup' squad comfortably beat Bologna before the first of the double-header against Inter was drawn. The cup quarter final - a key game in terms of some promises I've made in the squad - was not the same. We dominated and our quick build up play, down the left hand side, was too good for Inter. We progress and face Milan in the semi finals. The busiest month of the season, to date, finished with a win over Sassuolo.

My one concern, however, has to be this:

image.png.6ddcfef28c9750da5bd6b6ccc3f79e85.png

In the last six league games,we have created the following xG: 1.04, 2.27, 1.90, 2.68, 1.3 and 1.5 from the following number of shots: 10, 19, 20, 20, 14, 18. When collated, the numbers become somewhat more worrying: 10.69xG for 5 total goals at a conversion rate of just 4% across the 101 shots we've taken. The chances aren't bad - an average shot xG of 0.10 is 0.01 'better' than the average for the other games this season. Of the total 10.69xG - Marzio Zenga has been accountable for 3.69xG of it - 34.5% but has contributed one goal - 20%. In the other league games, Zenga has accrued 8.65xG and scored twelve goals from it. He ranks sixth in total minutes this season - playing 65% of the total minutes (Kean has 15% and Lucca has 16%) so I feel that a rest and some rotation must happen here to ensure we finish the league season off strong.

image.thumb.png.a70658144af64820c3e63b8a518ac66d.png

Roberto De Zerbi's Roma are pushing us closer than I had imagined as he proves to be a really good manager. However, we still hold top spot and continue with a strong defence and a good enough attack to win games. The Milan clubs appear to both be in turmoil but Milan's form is impressive at the moment under Pazienza. For now, Simeone's job is comfortable but that 4-1 hiding against us in the cup probably won't have helped him! Despite Sampdoria's troubles, my loanee Giovanni Giovagnoli has done pretty well and is now considered a wonderkid. We've been drawn against Real Sociedad in the first knockout round of the Champions League

image.thumb.png.a6c26ebfe06feed335a6757fde1c6e6b.png

Forza La Dea!

Edited by _Ben_

March 2033

image.png.3038b0b88e4a079a5fb8269458af2d84.pngimage.png.e4a7a70612203bc9638144a698802f01.pngimage.png.0b9096214ea4c4dd1c72528e95edcc80.pngimage.png.bcbcbb1c220983e78da3fc4d985f1bba.pngimage.png.5c0f96fe05b98a989c5a55b7dd0fff1e.png

This month was all about progression in Europe and we did just that! Despite winning the three league games and not conceding a goal, slightly altered teams and slightly different ideas were used to both protect my key players but also come up with plans that may work against any of the teams that now remain: Arsenal, Spurs, PSG, RB Leipzig, Real Madrid (our opponents), Aston Villa (yay!!!) or Liverpool. The plan was also to go to Spain and be tight and not be out of the tie at the halfway point: something we did really well. By the time Sociedad had got their act together, we'd scored three times through Santos, Jose Cristiano and Lanzo and were home and dry.

We also received the youth intake but I'm struggling to motivate myself to dig deeper into this as, sadly/not-sadly, our squad depth is just so good that these players are miles off first team football at this stage. I think this is where my real interest in teams outside the Big 5 leagues is borne out of. My thoughts about where this save goes in the summer are now are the forefront of my mind...

image.thumb.png.2cf94bf4c8c442cf9faddcc96df529e1.png

We're still holding strong atop the league with a seven point lead with twenty-seven left to play for. We do travel to the Olimpico next month in a tie that could, probably, decide the league. That also sits directly after a really tough double-header against Real's Galacticos. Tough!

image.thumb.png.14752a379c17f53fcc27c08b0b57cb06.png

Forza La Dea!

Hi Ben, this is my first post ever here in the forum. I read in the last months a  ton of Journeys, Blogs etc. But this one is absolutly OUTSTANDING. I read every Year of your Journey and the development that you made, your skin, your point of view is a great read.  The deepth and the think and development process behind everything is very inspiring. Please keep going with this great journey. Best regards from Germany.

3 hours ago, _RocknRolla_ said:

Hi Ben, this is my first post ever here in the forum. I read in the last months a  ton of Journeys, Blogs etc. But this one is absolutly OUTSTANDING. I read every Year of your Journey and the development that you made, your skin, your point of view is a great read.  The deepth and the think and development process behind everything is very inspiring. Please keep going with this great journey. Best regards from Germany.

I really appreciate the kind words - thank you so much! I put a lot (far too much) time into FM so I'm glad that other people are able to get on board and share the emotional rollercoaster that this is and will continue to be!

April 2033

image.png.f7ff9d420404af4edd69d669ea30b621.pngimage.png.0b668fbc2c7245cca369bdeb08d4d692.png image.png.3bc5cc6cc39a88fa3545312c6f4e1be1.png

image.png.8a2fabff573720fabfba290c8c16e477.pngimage.png.a2ec1a04cc9ea11bf5600cc99ac92f6f.pngimage.png.939af0155a2b6839bdb87cf8f2a23458.png

image.png.e66c5c074ab87ecac61be51113fc5b76.pngimage.png.341a70df26f85d2b454ec6617b7a346f.pngimage.png.49407fdfcb7801a8cc51adffd8ce3d21.png

Insane. Breathless. Full-on.

The month started awfully, though, as Napoli inflicted our first taste of defeat, in any competition, since the Serie A playoff loss to Juventus in June last year. When, a matter of days later, we then lost - again - at the Bernabeu, I feared the worse. Our second string took Pescara apart nicely before we roared back at the Gewiss (Stade di Bergamo in European competitions!) and put Real Madrid to the sword, just as we've done with a whole manner of teams across the last year or so. Our visit to the Olimpico has probably confirmed that we will, indeed, win the scudetto and we were professional and just that little bit better throughout, despite De Zerbi's side starting strongly. In my 200th game against Milan, we escaped with a draw as I conceded the largest amount of xGA this season, at least. With an eye on the bigger prize, a rotated squad drew with Sampdoria before a supremely resilient defensive showing saw us lead at the halfway point against Liverpool. Progress into the Coppa Italia final was secured in the last game of the most hectic month of my career, where we'll face Napoli.

image.thumb.png.df81e932491981e96cfa57f10a556c22.png

Roma have the easiest run in and I'd be lying if I wasn't wanting them to come second, putting as much between us and rivals Juve as possible. As for us - we can afford to drop points and, with a Champions League campaign still going, I envisage that we will - probably against Milan and Juve. With no unbeaten season to play for, I do feel that I'll rotate as necessary to try and finish this season with three trophies. As for what happens after this season - I do not know. This month has been somewhat draining for me and I haven't entirely enjoyed it. But, as potentially treble winners, I don't know where to go from here. I'd love some thoughts on it...

image.png.056e303613ef366ae571888a39fc3518.png

Forza La Dea!

15 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

I wonder if it would be good to drop into Serie B and build up a team to contend with your Atalanta side?

I had thought about this and even considered a side-quest where I'd use a different manager persona to get around the lack of realism; imagine seeing the likes of Pep of Klopp drop into the Championship to bring Ipswich up to rival their previously title winning side. What I'm really contemplating at the moment is one of the two following nations, for the following reasons:

• MLS: I love player development and I've found that, in elite leagues, where I need squad depth - I've not spent time thinking about developing every player and they also need to be a certain standard to get anywhere near the first team. I've got over 70 players on my books and, whilst I do set up team and individual training and check in on it regularly, it doesn't really impact the actual end goal at this club as I'm likely to only have one or two elite players actually within my youth ranks, and that is somewhat optimistic. Therefore, one squad in the MLS would allow me to work really closely with a bunch of players plus, they recently won the World Cup and have a pretty strong league. I do love to use stats to recruit and I'm sure I could work my way around the restrictions and salary caps. 
  • Argentina: I have an Argentine manager who - in my FM22 save - I signed from River Plate. I feel that moving back to Argentina would be a fitting end to this narrative for Alex Barreto and I could, feasibly, take a team that would best River's rivals, Boca. I wouldn't want to manager River as, again, I want to do some development of a playing squad. Whilst there are reserves/youth sides, Argentina is different as money is tight so there'd need to become a conveyor belt of talent moving through. In terms of Boca's rivals - San Lorenzo are in the second tier at the moment so that feels, to me, like it lacks realism but Estudiantes are from La Plata - which is the province where my manager was born - which feels nice on a few levels but they also have Libertadores, so it's quite a big job already. There are, however, plenty of other clubs who interest me here.

What would you/anyone pick from there?!

3 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

I had thought about this and even considered a side-quest where I'd use a different manager persona to get around the lack of realism; imagine seeing the likes of Pep of Klopp drop into the Championship to bring Ipswich up to rival their previously title winning side. What I'm really contemplating at the moment is one of the two following nations, for the following reasons:

• MLS: I love player development and I've found that, in elite leagues, where I need squad depth - I've not spent time thinking about developing every player and they also need to be a certain standard to get anywhere near the first team. I've got over 70 players on my books and, whilst I do set up team and individual training and check in on it regularly, it doesn't really impact the actual end goal at this club as I'm likely to only have one or two elite players actually within my youth ranks, and that is somewhat optimistic. Therefore, one squad in the MLS would allow me to work really closely with a bunch of players plus, they recently won the World Cup and have a pretty strong league. I do love to use stats to recruit and I'm sure I could work my way around the restrictions and salary caps. 
  • Argentina: I have an Argentine manager who - in my FM22 save - I signed from River Plate. I feel that moving back to Argentina would be a fitting end to this narrative for Alex Barreto and I could, feasibly, take a team that would best River's rivals, Boca. I wouldn't want to manager River as, again, I want to do some development of a playing squad. Whilst there are reserves/youth sides, Argentina is different as money is tight so there'd need to become a conveyor belt of talent moving through. In terms of Boca's rivals - San Lorenzo are in the second tier at the moment so that feels, to me, like it lacks realism but Estudiantes are from La Plata - which is the province where my manager was born - which feels nice on a few levels but they also have Libertadores, so it's quite a big job already. There are, however, plenty of other clubs who interest me here.

What would you/anyone pick from there?!

I wouldn't touch MLS. It's too broken for talent development. The Estudiantes idea is very interesting, but I always had a soft spot for Velez

7 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

I wouldn't touch MLS. It's too broken for talent development. The Estudiantes idea is very interesting, but I always had a soft spot for Velez

I agree with Deisler. The Argentinian idea is far better, I think it ties in nicely 

I also favor the South American variant. Simply because it would round out the story and I would like to see them break the phalanx of River, Boca, Racing, and Independiente in the country of the world champion while you find and develop the next Messi / Maradonna mix.

Just caught up with the save. Gotta love a Model Citizen personality! Agree with the sentiment re Argentina over MLS, though I'm a sucker for punishment and make bad choices in life, so I'd go for the MLS

10 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

9 hours ago, SixPointer said:

I agree with Deisler. The Argentinian idea is far better, I think it ties in nicely 

7 hours ago, _RocknRolla_ said:

I also favor the South American variant. Simply because it would round out the story and I would like to see them break the phalanx of River, Boca, Racing, and Independiente in the country of the world champion while you find and develop the next Messi / Maradonna mix.

42 minutes ago, Lestri said:

Just caught up with the save. Gotta love a Model Citizen personality! Agree with the sentiment re Argentina over MLS, though I'm a sucker for punishment and make bad choices in life, so I'd go for the MLS

Thanks for the input, all.

Need to see what the end of the season brings for me here in Italy but, to keep the save fresh, I think moving on is necessary. As I’ve alluded to - the next step involves a lot of money and often deviates significantly from the kind of managerial style I have in terms of giving chances to youngsters and learning as I go along. This season’s aim was perfection and, whilst I’ve nearly achieved that, it’s been a tough mental slog to get it as right as I can, every time.

I’ll need to tidy up some things at Atalanta - particularly my tactical findings across the season - but I feel I could now move on, if the move is right, with my head held high, knowing that I’ve significantly improved the side, developed a lot of players, stabilised the club financially and brought about a new style of tactical thought.

However, the Jan-Dec season means that I’d be in mid season in whichever country I choose, and, to be honest, that’s not ideal for what I want to do but the idea of a ‘sabbatical’ before that step down does feel realistic. 

I’ll do as I’ve done throughout this save and see where it takes me…

May 2033

image.png.944e74a245c063675501183d717b976f.pngimage.png.151e6539f1eebaa05712b0da5c7f75f3.pngimage.png.07cb81fd480085a39d1d981de22d4eda.png image.png.e0a12ab5b00c54f2d56df92b0845b3a1.png

image.png.4863bc79e8c8001d0927ed0d9f3f446e.pngimage.png.3c70c9cfef9ba570905d1c429a1d23a4.pngimage.png.19e840e869b2a58401c573f749503bce.png

Heartbreak on Merseyside as we throw away a two goal advantage and lose out on penalties to Jurgen Klopp's side. It was truly an enthralling match - end of end with a host of hugely talented players pitting it out in one of the biggest games of their lives. Gvardiol scored from a corner early on - a rare form of concession for our tall and routined defence before Moukoko raced free to draw parity in the tie. Trent scored a Trent goal to leave me feeling utterly deflated before a lovely strike by Marzio Zenga - fully encapsulating his Haaland role of barely touching the ball prior to this - took us to extra time. Francesco Lanzo missed the key penalty and we feel short; so close to reaching the dream of the final.

I've recently added the 'Play out of Defence' instruction against teams that employ Gegenpressing and it worked beautifully here, as seen across three screenshots: startmidpoint and end, where we have actually forced a 4v4 situation with us on the counter attack. We didn't score from it but it set the tone for a game where we simply countered better than Piacenza and our quality shone through. A midweek final saw utter heartbreak as we threw everything we had at a Napoli side ahead thanks to the luckiest deflected own goal I think I've ever seen. At one point, I had six forwards on, chasing the game. Sadly, we came up short and couldn't add a Coppa Italia to our trophy cabinet but, as always, I'm proud of the side. However, it meant that just two days later, we faced Milan, knowing a win would see us lift the Scudetto for the first time ever. Sadly, everyone was absolutely exhausted and my second string could only limp to a draw. However, with Juventus still having to play three times, the title was still not sewn up.

image.png.7d651d50ce0eb04b6b69877a9d9a3fab.png

I surely could not mess this one up...

I set ourselves up to enjoy the ninety minutes that stood between us, naming as many fit players as possible. We took the game to Palermo and were, quite frankly, never really in a contest. Zenga scored a lovely chip as we, again, played through their press before netting a panenka to put us two up and home and dry by half time. Some reshuffling and messing around in the second half saw us record 3.58xG, our highest of the season. The players, led by captain Caleb Okoli, lined up to receive the Serie A trophy at the end of the game and, after three years and 313 days of work, it finally felt good to achieve what I came here for!

image.png.86d1954d9dc49bda5c8ca9b1b3b77956.png

With the title secured, we rounded off the season with an unjust loss at home to Juventus and a rout of Udinese. A tough month to end the season - defeat to eventual Champions League winners Liverpool and a final loss, meaning I still lack a domestic cup trophy with Atalanta, but there is so much to celebrate elsewhere. Our first ever top league first place, six players named in the Team of the Season, myself winning Manager of the Year, us winning Team of the Year and Marco Carnesecchi winning both 'keeper of the Year and setting a new record with an outstanding 32 clean sheets.

image.thumb.png.bbf833ece7cd254f44c0582994594cc6.png

Roberto De Zerbi's Roma fall at the final hurdle and allow Juve to leapfrog them, with Napoli's faith in Don Unai paying off as he secures them a fourth place finish. There is panic on the streets of Milan as both Inter and Milan dispose of their managers: Simeone and Pazienza, respectfully. Lecce record a disappointing league finish but qualify for the Europa League thanks to a Conference League win, beating Atletico Madrid in the final. Likewise, Hellas Verona dip from sixth to thirteenth and Sassuolo, now under Kingsley Coman, finish mid-table, as they have done since the year that I spent as their manager. At the other end, only Brescia remain as the newly promoted team but it is Sampdoria who can consider being unlucky - scoring 19 goals less than their xG but conceded 10 more than their xG suggests, ending 19th despite an xPts position of 12th. Lionel Scaloni is a decent manager but he was relegated last year with Getafe and also four years ago as manager of Salernitana: somewhat of a specialist.

image.thumb.png.614fe52aff4c8f3937298daf32df2b0f.png

I've dug a lot more into how we play this year and have shared a lot of thoughts about this as I play. Looking at where we sit across the league, combined with the overall dashboard that I've made in Excel, there are a few things to pick out. It all feels very Italian that we can win the league despite only being the fourth top scorers, building the entire team around an outstandingly solid defence.  I've also been able to access previous season's information by reloading saves I make at the end of the year and this is a great marker for how our game has changed as we've become bigger and better. We've increased the amount of possession we've had this season, and now sit in the top half for that metric. There hasn't been a marked change towards this but I'm sure that the 'Play out of Defence' - key in allowing us to beat a high press, has probably increased that.  However , we are the worst team in the league at converting our chances despite having one of the best strikers in the league: definitely an area to look into both tactically and from a player perspective. I know that this is largely because we've had more shots than ever before - facing teams sitting deeper and more resolutely, hence the change to pull players out of position, but we're still not quite right with it. We're defending less than ever before but remain pretty similar in most other areas, with a nice increase in crosses completed; the signing of Santos allowed me to get a better player on set pieces and from the byline. This is something that feels really powerful to me - tracking team stats over a long term and I'll be looking to continue with it.

What I've also done is dug into the opposition to try and find strengths and weaknesses within the tactical style I'm developing: pushing to get deeper than the base 'formations faced.' This is what I've been able to get up to. Each area has a set of screenshots from Excel and some short discursive points. This is something that I intend to really develop as time goes on:

Playing style:

Control Possession | Fluid Counter | Gegenpress | Route One | Tiki-Taka/Vertical Tiki-Taka | Wing Play

The Control Possession style is one that I often find the hardest to break down but we still create a good number of chances against teams that play this. Against gegenpressing teams, we've scored freely - particularly against those that play it in a 4-2-3-1, although Piacenza and Udinese are quite considerably weaker than us. What I do find really interesting though is that the Atalanta PPDA (the opposition OPPDA) is barely different for teams that play a high pressing style - meaning that either the stats are broken or we've effectively stopped them from being able to do what they want to do. I've grouped the two types of Tiki-Taka together as they are similar but, interestingly, two of the bigger teams in the league employ that style. An average score of 0.75 - 0.25 is pretty good from that, considering. Two of our four xG losses came against teams that employ the Wing Play style but neither really stand out as hugely important data for me to dig into. 

Formation:

433 | 442 | 532/523 | 4231

The five at the back formations (Inter and Juve) are, again, very different from the other teams in the league but we definitely seem to favour facing the 4-2-3-1 shape, given that it, realistically, affords us the most time with players in those important central spaces and we are able to create overloads on single defender sides, given their attacking wingers. Whilst I say that, 60% of our bottom-5 lowest xG results come in games against teams that play this shape and, in Milan, Fiorentina, Udinese, Bologna and Roma - with all but Milan and Roma utilising that shape, I do feel that we could do more.

Game Outcome:

Games Won | Games Drawn | Games Lost | xG 'Defeats'

When we draw, we don't tend to concede more xG than when we win - instead we just fail to create and convert the chances: we've never really had to hold on this season. Of the games we've drawn, 78% have seen an average shot xG of 0.10 or less, around 4% lower than in games we've won. That doesn't feel too much but the eye test from the games I have re-watched tells me that these are games where we've probably gone too high risk and just encouraged shots at the first possible opportunity. Realistically, I shouldn't be drawing against Sampdoria, Brescia, Pescare and Bologna, given their league rankings and quality and it's likely that they've successfully just sat back and stopped us from getting through.

Specific metrics:

<10% Conversion Rate | >10% Conversion Rate | < 5.00 OPPDA | > 5.00 OPPDA

Despite only creating 0.06xG more, on average, per match, we've taken 0.8 less points per game against teams where we've not converted our chances. Sounds pretty simple - we don't convert and we don't win. Yes. But it's not like we're having loads more shots: about 1.5 different per game. Defensively, we're very similar, so I couldn't even say that we're chasing these games and taking risky shots - probably the opposite: risky and poor quality shots are coming because we cannot break a team down in a game we're dominating. Interestingly, the data shows that we create more and concede less xG when we press more - scoring at 2.58 points per game when allowing the opposition less than five passes between every defensive action, compared to 1.83 when allowing more. As a slight skew - both games that we lost came when our OPPDA was above 6.00 and that list comprises of ties against Juve, Inter and Milan: three of the bigger teams. This year, our OPPDA has decreased (less passes per action) compared to last year and I feel that part of that is the advanced wingers but also setting specific pressing traps as best as I can within the game framework. It'd certainly be interesting to see how much further this could go within my tactical style.

Next, I want to see how that correlates with individuals. I haven't included any keeper stats here as Carnesecchi has played all of the time and there is nothing comparative.

e870ab10684be90ac0fcc8c2f16accb0.png

We do so little defending that it's not hugely interesting to dig into these stats. What is interesting though is that Okoli's header percentage is badly skewed by his attacking work as the target of my corners. This is definitely something that I do need to consider myself, when recruiting, because he's certainly - defensively at least - better in the air than Fusari but this is not evident here and almost comes across as a weakness. This defensive team is incredibly solid and I see no real reason why it shouldn't be split up in the years to come with Okoli being the first one to need replacing, but that is due to his age.

6ed0e14f7f11425f047328ff8b95233c.png

The main job of the midfield is to be able to receive the ball and progress it quickly. To have some of the best in the business on this continent in Ragatzu - passing, Cristiano - passing and dribbles and Navarro - passing, is fantastic. Pilenga has slowly been usurped across the season given to the fact that he's a liability in the air. I think that this area could be the most needed for a rebuild with Mac Allister not lasting forever and Ciammaglichella barely earning enough football, despite playing relatively well when he does get on the pitch. 

35564a9099a896550ae8371019d2c0c1.png

The wingers have done well this season and the experiment with Memaj has been a particular highlight: coming off the bench to get the ball and drive forward against tired defences. He's recorded the most dribbles/90 in the team and also has accrued a decent NPxG/90, too. Lanzo's minutes have decreased due to this and that is partially my fault as I have, potentially, an amazing second striker/Trequartista in him but have not quite used him to the best of his ability - as he's recorded the lowest goals/90 of the entire winger setup. Santos has been fantastic and leads the group on progressive actions, netting a strong number of assists/90, although some have been from set pieces.

7bf49823ef4cbf907ebc770e03f542b4.png

I think that the Lucca experiment worked this season as he recorded the highest shots on target of any of the strikers and, maybe, in my talks of conversion rates, could have used him more - despite having the lowest conversion rate of my strikers. In fact, all three of them have converted way more often than any of the midfielders, excluding Costa, who occasionally deputised as a striker. Whilst I have almost exclusively played an AF(a) in this role, there must be a conversation about how my strikers have barely contributed to anything else within the team, assisting, roughly, once every eight to nine games. Moise Kean, understandably, has decided to move on at the end of this season, given the low amount of playing time he's had.

---

I knew this season had to be as perfect as it could be. Judging by what I've written above, you can see how much I've put into making it perfect and, being honest, it's taken a lot out of me. I have completely fallen in love with Atalanta but can, categorically confirm, that I won't be around to see them move into their new stadium in 2035 and, as for the short-term future: I do not know. With that being said. I'm contracted to Atalanta and will give them my all until that us other. 

Forza La Dea!

1 hour ago, SixPointer said:

Sickener against Liverpool!! League title bagged though. Is Argentina calling Alex’s name?

I'm delighted to win the league and part of me wants another crack at the Champions League but I'm craving something a little different now and I think it feels like a realistic move in terms of a job and also the narrative around Alex Barreto's career. You'll find out soon...

June-November 2033

image.thumb.png.a333e9f9a12980f3cd81d12bb0e200bc.png

think that this is the right thing for me to do. What I've created at Atalanta is way more than I ever considered: both in terms of in-game and in terms of me playing the game. I've absolutely loved every minute of the four years that I've been in Bergamo and - quite frankly - I've abandoned the 'Age of Empires' idea to further force the narrative of a manager (and a human player) who is absolutely obsessed with trying to be the best possible manager. With that, comes a price. I feel that there are shades of Marcelo Bielsa here, who quite regularly has popped up in jobs and then left when he needed the headspace. The squad that I'd assembled ready for next season is probably the most complete squad I've ever built and - whilst certainly the best in Serie A - among the best in Europe, too. Across my two hundred and ten games, I won one hundred and thirty-eight of them and lost only twenty-five, winning the league and Europa League. I trimmed the wage bill, brought through academy players and delivered the first ever Scudetto to Bergamo.

Pleasingly, Atalanta moved fast and very outside of the box. Enzo Villalba brought some great success to Talleres in Argentina and, clearly, they felt like continuing their association with the nation of my manager's birth. The hardest part, for me, is to watch a squad that I have assembled be taken apart, piece by piece by a new manager but I am pretty much in agreement with his dealings, particularly who he has sold:

• Filippo Fontana - €4.5m to Sassuolo
  • Moise Kean - Free to West Brom
  • Cristian Pilenga - €63m to RB Leipzig
  • Niccolo Ferrigno - €15.5m to Wolfsburg
  • Kastriot Memaj - €17m to Stuttgart
  • Aaron Ciammaglichella - €11.75m to Porto
  • Jose Carlos Uria - €30.5m to Dortmund
  • Lorenzo Lucca - €5.25m to Genoa
  • Andrea De Zerbi - Loan to Milan

Some very clever moves there and with Pilenga, Ciammaglichella and Kean moving on - he's done three things that I would contemplate doing myself. Personally, I wouldn't have sold Ferrigno without bringing in another centre back - especially loaning out Andrea De Zerbi, too - but the moves to sell Uria, a youth candidate with no first team appearances, looks great on paper. In €67m striker Jose Silva, he's got a truly elite backup striker for Zenga, something which I'd never had the guts to actually do. The €57m deal for Karim Adeyemi does not really fit the age profile that I'd have brought but he does fill a gap on the right wing - creating an elite three with Santos on the left. A loan with a mandatory €5m fee for Christian Gonzalez looks to be great business, too as does Marcelo Gallardo, who was actually on my own shortlist.

Their league campaign has started incredibly well and I anticipate it to continue that way. I'll keep a very close eye on what Enzo does against a host of new faces in Serie A: Simone Inzaghi back at Inter for a second spell, Vincente Moreno came into AC Milan from Sociedad and Juve appointed Milan failure Michele Pazienza after losing Antonio Conte in (hilarious) fashion back to Spurs. Looking at the league stats, Atalanta have now added possession to their game and become the strongest and most clinical finishers in the league.

I'm stopping the game updates at this point because of this:

image.png.b2826a405588afa248daf9543e4146c2.png

I really like your breakdown by style. Besides "Play out of Defence" against Gegenpress do you have any "defaults" against other styles?

Speaking of which: I'm guessing since pressing is not really fine-tuned in FM, it still works best if you have a numerical advantage. Like in the first image, you have 4+1+1 (or 2+3+1) vs 3+2, there's always a free man. Do you take that into account? (I still can't think of any formation where you wouldn't have the numerical advantage with 6 players in the build-up - no preset formation presses with 6 players in FM, I think)

15 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Now things are gonna get really interesting 

Indeed it is!

14 hours ago, lfds89 said:

I really like your breakdown by style. Besides "Play out of Defence" against Gegenpress do you have any "defaults" against other styles?

Speaking of which: I'm guessing since pressing is not really fine-tuned in FM, it still works best if you have a numerical advantage. Like in the first image, you have 4+1+1 (or 2+3+1) vs 3+2, there's always a free man. Do you take that into account? (I still can't think of any formation where you wouldn't have the numerical advantage with 6 players in the build-up - no preset formation presses with 6 players in FM, I think)

Thanks. No, not really, which is why I wanted to start the monitoring so I could try and build things. The level of our transitional play has increased so much of late - instead of trying to draw the whole team out in a low block and then go long, we're now trying to draw certain players out to play through that. Some of this has evolved naturally and some I'll happily admit that I have no idea how has happened! Next year at my new club, I'm going to try and really dig into the details about how I've set up and why I've done it like that - learning from my mistakes along the way.

December 2033

45f5901966f7d92162e56487886d8bf1.png

Club Atletico Independiente were founded in 1905 in Avellaneda, Buenos Aires. At just 60km from Alex Barreto's hometown of Berisso, I've decided to go home for the last leg of this managerial journey. El Rojo are a team that have tasted a lot of success, historically, and certainly had a penchant for developing and playing the best players in the region from the 1930s through to the 1980s and were considered one of the countries strongest teams - named as The Big Five, alongside the likes of River, Boca, fierce rivals Racing club and San Lorenzo. In game, things aren't quite the same: San Lorenzo find themselves in the second tier and both Avellaneda clubs have had torrid seasons, with the red side of the community turning to me to fix that.

What I wanted to do was to create an opportunity for a real test of my tactical skills in an unfamiliar environment. I have no ties to Argentina - there are clubs I like through players that I've watched and admired, with the first that comes to mind being Velez due to keeper Jose Luiz Chilavert. I also love the idea of the Argentine playmakers and the physicality and I want to experience that in my time here. It really opens the door to finding a new club - adding to Genclerbirligi and Atalanta. I am also looking forward to the change in level; yes, Argentina is home to some of the world's best players but they are at a very different part of their career to those I managed at Atalanta. Here, I'll need to develop and sell on to keep the club afloat - which gives me a real directive to get the best out of each and every player coming through the academy, something that I've missed at Atalanta with the level we've been at.

Upon negotiating the contract, I was able to take over at the end of the season: a season in which they finished a disappointing fifteenth place and, judging by the statistics, below, were lucky to even do that.

image.thumb.png.b8dae0e7bf61daff975ccd98a2765f9d.png

It feels like they're a bit of a club lost in a limbo, right now. Very little to show in terms of current day ability - there is not really a playing style that has evolved here and there really does not feel like much of an impetus on player development. Mirko Gonzalez and Ignacio Bonnaci have recently made the moves to Europe but, thinking about real life, there are few players I can name who have come through the Independiente ranks and made it to Europe, aside from one man:

image.thumb.png.e9a376651467e1a8475c113210346ab5.png

Sergio 'Kun' Aguero rejoins my coaching team, re-igniting what we had at Sassuolo when I wanted to take some countrymen to a new place. Elsewhere, I've cobbled together the best kind of team I can within the budget restraints I've got here. Many of my ex-coaches wanted to join but I couldn't convince them to take significant pay cuts to make the trip to South America. Disappointing but probably entirely realistic.

With fifty-one players on my books, you'll understand my excitement when I've seen that twenty-six are rated to have elite potential. Clearly, that is compared to what I already have, but, still, that feels like we can be secure in the knowledge that I can work with some of the best Argentine youngsters over the coming months and years. Below is the full first team breakdown, with each thumbnail clickable to see a full profile. What I want to achieve is that tactical fluidity so I've had a look at areas where I feel that each player could play, regardless of any positional understanding at this time.

Goalkeepers:

image.png.98e07d451c0eee7ac1ab36925719df52.png

Martin is the only senior keeper at the club and is pretty good, in my opinion. Not naturally fit but, for a goalkeeper, I don't worry too much given that he won't cover too much ground, even if he is able to become the eleventh outfield player when I get my tactics 'just right.' He's not great at Kicking or Throwing but a good Passer, so I envisage a more full time switch to playing out from the back. Also not the strongest at coming out of his area and then facing 1v1 situations, so I shall look to work on that through an individual focus.

Full Backs:

image.png.0bdb9d201ce7d1eecb97b2d575e436d7.png image.png.6f930780107579dc190391f8befdfb31.png

I worry about the full back situation. Lautaro has a poor personality and, at least, is defensively solid but I don't feel would offer me much in a really offensive situation. He's too old to be mentored so I want to keep his status in the squad pretty peripheral so that he does not rub off on others and will take time to observe how he reacts to team-talks and individual discussions, keeping notes on them. Emmanuel is pretty much the other way - he can attack but cannot defend. I'll look to keep him training as a defensive minded player - the IWB(a) role but also look to see some gains in his passing ability. This means that, as of right now, I'm more likely to play with an aggressive right hand side with Vives tucking in. Not ideal at present.

Centre Backs:

image.png.380f8763e0e8e6c4cc7948cf253337a5.png image.png.7cdb105fbfd36674278b9b1a0e9ce3c7.png image.png.2d0fafae6f7a437758dc01f97e478869.png image.png.4cb422b41c2acc67dc23aa8cc92a53e7.png

Peirano looks to be a decent option at centre back and his partnership with Rossi, who was on my shortlist at Atalanta, could be key for us. The latter is going to be going through some big development gains - I hope - starting with developing a bit more speed and then strength but honing his defensive skill set.  Silva is a good more defensively solid option than Rossi but probably will struggle in a more progressive backline, however, I'll work on that area. Rambert's traits make him pretty ideal to be the false-left-back to create a three with Peirano and Rossi. At €1.8m, he was one of the most expensive acquisitions to the club and it feels like it'll be a long while before I can sign players to this value: that is not necessarily a bad thing, though.

Six:

image.png.b00f53bc6ee8280fa536d765f7649fb2.png image.png.970efd2035f52e2d6dd3235de9028bfe.png

Palmezano's legs are going but he could be a decent option when some more defensive solidarity is needed. I feel that Avila will be a great asset to this club in a holding role - based on removing the trait that makes him get forward whenever possible. He'll need to develop some better Positioning sense but looks a rounded player at gaining possession and then using it. He's been used a lot off the bench this season but I hope to transition him into a first team player for next season.

Eight:

image.png.167d87eaf0b4b0dc9d01d77c681c4120.png image.png.9bd3456ce6c42852834c63320702d00d.png image.png.f6530d904771d6129ab7c206eb359d1d.png

Amilcar is a little raw but has the physicality to get up and down - I now need to work on developing his Passing ability so that he can use the ball better. He'll battle it out with Valdez, who is more of the stereotypical passer rather than dribbler and Colman, who does feel a little lightweight to be honest.

Ten:

image.png.146f8caf339f8e2c252d8d7a14f58f5f.png image.png.18dabf4ab2ce58589584bb5c18342a51.png

I think that Jose Garcia could make a nice False Nine as that won't rely too much on range of passing (albeit will heavily depend on quality of passing) and nor will it matter too much about his Finishing ability, if I can use him as a decoy a bit more. I also believe that Rocha will change position to make the most of his offensive ability and his not bad defensive ability: as the aggressive full back on the left hand side.  He can cross, finish and isn't too bad on the ball - which be may mitigated slightly with adding a trait such as Plays One-Twos and, therefore, could fit nicely in the midfield diamond coming from deeper.

Wingers:

image.png.670c6fe0d05d955e50134224fef9ebda.png image.png.459566fb99a695d57e170faec771d4bd.png image.png.2a481f2691f39898e2e8073af6f6a3eb.png image.png.72a791ee27fe9b4da45b4e78483849f7.png

Some real class here. Vega looks to be able to play anywhere across the front line and can do it all. I'm super excited to see what I can get from him and I'm likely to play him at the tip of the midfield diamond to limit his lack of defensive ability, hopefully increasing his value as much as possible before the inevitable move to Europe comes. I'm undecided as to whether to keep Caicedo on the transfer list or whether to try and cash in on him before he moves for a free transfer; he's a strong player and, as a Team Leader, will be tough to replace. I am also a big fan of Azulay and Otero - who'll likely be first choice within the team - the former looks to be a great ball carrier with an eye for goal and the latter could become a great #10 or second striker.

Forwards:

image.png.a9a45ad217287dd26ed84d455aeb7619.png image.png.7e72477521be2e627c08ca4405224dc0.png image.png.3bbb79c2ce7c23e1c37a52267934616f.png

Correa has already announced his departure so he'll likely be used less and less throughout next year. Cavallo is pretty well rounded for an AF(a) but I love Villa and want to make him a little more rounded so that he's able to play in a variety of striking roles or even off the wing if I use a False Nine. The premise with Villa will be the same as Vega - increase his value as much as possible and then cash in.

---

In terms of where we go from here - I have loads of odd jobs and things to do that the club such as setting up the rest of the training for the youth players, looking at the long term scheduling to build some training progressions, considering the financial structures within the club, scouting and learning about the league and the managers and then, finally, seeing if there are any potential upgrades that can be brought into the first team.

I'm excited!

I was not expecting that. Although it is very Bielsa

Also, that defensive record from your final season at Atalanta is just insane. Like, properly nuts. But I guess, when in Italy... Which makes me wonder if you'll amend your style to something more aggressive / sh!thousey?

5 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Great place to head back to the homeland 

43 minutes ago, Shrewnaldo said:

I was not expecting that. Although it is very Bielsa

Admittedly, I did have some reservations about the realism within the move but I think it does fit the narrative of the save, even if it means I won't be winning the Champions League in this edition.

44 minutes ago, Shrewnaldo said:

Also, that defensive record from your final season at Atalanta is just insane. Like, properly nuts. But I guess, when in Italy... Which makes me wonder if you'll amend your style to something more aggressive / sh!thousey?

34 minutes ago, Reiver said:

Get Stuck In option is stuck, you just can't change it.

I do feel that the club, right now, lacks any kind of ideology on the pitch. I don't think I'll go full on aggressive but I do think we need to be a little more rough and ready when necessary.

December 2033

image.png.b91627bf789c7c38abb3c7a0e466690a.png image.png.e0826dcbb4530675ab8439a2f8db9b39.png

I've taken December to engage with the club and the players, staff and - well - my own manager persona. I don't have access to the original image any more as it was one of something like twelve thousand that came with the original NewGAN manager so just decided to make an aged version with as much of a similarity as I could; now, at least, forty-six year old Barreto looks something similar to his age.

I have also spent an inordinate amount of time creating notes, which will be the key indicator when tracking development of my players. I'm really happy with something I skinned so that I can look at players, such as Mariano Rocha, and see what I've noted down as well as seeing his attributes and growth at the same time. I now have complete development plans in place for every player at the club - all forty-nine that will remain after the 1st January. With such a huge bunch of young, potential players, this will be onerous to start with but I hope pays off as time goes on. I'm yet to dig into the scouting set up and have only gone as far as using my newly recruited team the assignment of creating a report on every single first team player in the top tier; now, I know this would naturally be done week-in, week-out, but I want to go into the season with as much knowledge of the opposition as possible so have set this to run for the coming months with something like six hundred players to report back on.

However, I was able to dig into three players who I was alerted to with expiring contracts and have hastily pre-arranged deals for them, negotiated by my new DoF, Juan Pablo Perucca. Whilst I will absolutely be digging into statistics, I, right now, have nothing comparative given what is likely to be a huge shift in playing style for this club over the next year so can't go into the market for a creative player with x progressive passes and y successful dribbles because I just don't know what 'good' looks like here. Therefore, the three lads (notice they now have AI generated faces with Independiente coloured jerseys - yeah, I've got a little bit addicted to that...) all come in for being statistically decent in areas that I have already identified a need:

image.png.b5de4052d82b0df2362b1e6bb65e473b.png image.png.a17797b539ee743343de6a5d5a4ddf68.png image.png.211913aae825704b60ff51910b122a9c.png

Federico Brondi will become the new backup keeper, despite being three years senior to Matias Traverso and a first team regular this season. With two very distinct phases - a league of twenty-seven games and a cup of, at least, fourteen, there is plenty of scope for rotation and I need more than one senior keeper. A quick look at his statistics alert me to a high save ratio, despite a lot of goals conceded: almost guaranteed for a team that finished twenty-fourth. His progressive passes output gives me confidence that he can play out from the back and assist with the build up, too. I like his personality and think he'll be a decent lad to have around the squad. In Javier Traverso,  I feel that I've sourced an ample replacement for Dilan, who you can see compared both in his statistics and attributes. I feel that he offers a bit more in terms of his ability to be progressive and is slight upgrade on pure creativity, plus, he's well rounded and hopefully can develop a bit further. The fact that he's outspoken does concern me a little but, at this stage, I don't feel like he'll be able to be a vocal part of the dressing room. Lastly, Mateo Gallo arrives and I feel he's a bit of a steal. Even though he's compared with Azulay, my 'best' winger, I like that he's a competent dribbler and also offers a good amount of expected assists off the bench - something that could be a game changer. In terms of attributes, I like his ball control and acceleration - giving me a good impression that he could play a number of roles. I may have quite the surplus of this type of player at the club but, given the schedule, I think that's ok.

Looking forward to whatever January brings!

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

When was the last time the club won something big?

No Libertadores since 1984, no top league title since 1989 and last won the Sudamerica in 2017.

In game, they were relegated in 2027 - as seen below - after their average points left them in the bottom two. Not even had the chance to dig into that yet but I feel that we'll be fine for a rebuild given we have two teams who have been out of the top flight for some time.

9705d2ac92c9dd45e70c7b2d6c83756c.png

We're on a downward spiral and have nothing of note yet are still predicted to finish 5th this season (behind Boca, River, Velez and Estudiantes). Both ourselves and fierce rivals Racing (predicted sixth but came 17th last season) don't have the hassle of continental competition to contend with, which will be a bonus for scheduling, if nothing else.

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

No Libertadores since 1984, no top league title since 1989 and last won the Sudamerica in 2017.

In game, they were relegated in 2027 - as seen below - after their average points left them in the bottom two. Not even had the chance to dig into that yet but I feel that we'll be fine for a rebuild given we have two teams who have been out of the top flight for some time.

9705d2ac92c9dd45e70c7b2d6c83756c.png

We're on a downward spiral and have nothing of note yet are still predicted to finish 5th this season (behind Boca, River, Velez and Estudiantes). Both ourselves and fierce rivals Racing (predicted sixth but came 17th last season) don't have the hassle of continental competition to contend with, which will be a bonus for scheduling, if nothing else.

Crazy that a club in the big five haven’t won the two big ones since the 80s. Great place to bring some huge silverware 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb lfds89:

It's fantastic. Now I've stopped playing and I'm making faces for every player lol

Maybe you can save time, cause i released some "Cut Out" Facepacks for UK, South Europe & Balkan so far. North Europe and Soutamerica will be the next ones. You can found it on my Twitter.

@_Ben_ Great work and incredible amount of notes...cant imagine how long you sitting there. You put some much love and effort into your save. Please keep going on it.

13 hours ago, _RocknRolla_ said:

Maybe you can save time, cause i released some "Cut Out" Facepacks for UK, South Europe & Balkan so far. North Europe and Soutamerica will be the next ones. You can found it on my Twitter.

14 hours ago, lfds89 said:

It's fantastic. Now I've stopped playing and I'm making faces for every player lol

I must add to this that the prompts I have used have been from @_RocknRolla_'s Twitter, too! You've created some fantastic stuff there. Thank you.

Edited by _Ben_

13 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Crazy that a club in the big five haven’t won the two big ones since the 80s. Great place to bring some huge silverware 

13 hours ago, _RocknRolla_ said:

@_Ben_ Great work and incredible amount of notes...cant imagine how long you sitting there. You put some much love and effort into your save. Please keep going on it.

Let's hope so! I'm still working on adding player traits to these players now I've done the training schedules so plenty more notes are being made. It's a long term job but one that I can really sink my teeth into until FM24 arrives...

2 horas atrás, _Ben_ disse:

I must add to this that the prompts I have used have been from @_RocknRolla_'s Twitter, too! You've created some fantastic stuff there. Thank you.

As prompt I've been using: "<Nation> football player, second nationality <2nd Nationality>, <Name>, <Age> years old, <Team> kit, face only". Then I make 4 images, select one and remove the background. I like the results so far

5 hours ago, lfds89 said:

As prompt I've been using: "<Nation> football player, second nationality <2nd Nationality>, <Name>, <Age> years old, <Team> kit, face only". Then I make 4 images, select one and remove the background. I like the results so far

I've always faffed around with the 'tags' that you can add here but that has produced some great ones! Will be saving collections ready for the youth intakes!