[FM23][SKIN] The Annual Show Your Skin thread

TCSSkin

2 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I guessed so! I have quite a big screen resolution so can get away with it and the code that I’ve used does not look like it’ll work well with a smaller one - before I even get into the game to try that. 

Doesn’t help that I have never quite been able to get the old ‘hide this panel if resolution is too low’ thing to work, as it could help a little here. Probably will be something that I’d have to remove to release a proper ‘low res skin.’

yeah it's why the default skins are full of empty space, once you figure out how to adapt things it'll open your eyes

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I guessed so! I have quite a big screen resolution so can get away with it and the code that I’ve used does not look like it’ll work well with a smaller one - before I even get into the game to try that. 

Doesn’t help that I have never quite been able to get the old ‘hide this panel if resolution is too low’ thing to work, as it could help a little here. Probably will be something that I’d have to remove to release a proper ‘low res skin.’

A lot of panels have blocks of code for resizing. I have never incorporated it in my own skin, with new panels, only ever tweaked the numbers for alignments. But I’m guessing these blocks could be added to any panel you’re working on that needs it.

51 minutes ago, bluestillidie00 said:

yeah it's why the default skins are full of empty space, once you figure out how to adapt things it'll open your eyes

Yes. Learning that the hard way - when a lot of my panels were built before I had the knowledge of how to adapt for size. I had started building some low res panels for my skin  but it’s a big job when I’m taking panels I’ve been working on for 1 to 2 years and having to start again - but, at least, this time they’re being rebuilt much more robustly. 

51 minutes ago, Tyburn said:

A lot of panels have blocks of code for resizing. I have never incorporated it in my own skin, with new panels, only ever tweaked the numbers for alignments. But I’m guessing these blocks could be added to any panel you’re working on that needs it.

Yes. I’ve seen that a bit more now I’ve dug into stuff. I will play around with how this looks on lower resolutions later on. I know the pitch can shrink but how that impacts scale and how the tabbed stuff fits then, I don’t know. 

2 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

I had started building some low res panels for my skin  but it’s a big job when I’m taking panels I’ve been working on for 1 to 2 years and having to start again - but, at least, this time they’re being rebuilt much more robustly. 

I don't see any point in spending time on a resolution lower than 1920x1080. even with a screen width of 1920 pixels, i have to use the sidebar in "icons only" mode to see everything normally at 100% scale. and if the resolution is lower, it's not a game, it's torture.

39 minutes ago, Olas Nick said:

I don't see any point in spending time on a resolution lower than 1920x1080. even with a screen width of 1920 pixels, i have to use the sidebar in "icons only" mode to see everything normally at 100% scale. and if the resolution is lower, it's not a game, it's torture.

Whilst I completely agree - I’ve found that offering ‘something’ that’s is workable at low res helps with those who play on smaller screens. I say this entirely as a man who has released a skin and been somewhat taken aback by the people who have said ‘I can’t see x and y on my screen’ or ‘c panel is cut off!’

19 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Just need to work out how to pull through the next fixture information (the panel works but just doesn't find any fixtures) but I'm quite happy with this. Thanks for the little ideas...

23c6d520b0f88e69c46e5a8836ac79fd.png

The cyan border is something I've repeated across my skin and - whilst not to all tastes - splits things up, for me. I've got a little bit more info but I'd still like more opposition stuff there so I can make changes based on what I've seen that they will do.

Oooh that tab box is class.  gonna make that

5 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Whilst I completely agree - I’ve found that offering ‘something’ that’s is workable at low res helps with those who play on smaller screens. I say this entirely as a man who has released a skin and been somewhat taken aback by the people who have said ‘I can’t see x and y on my screen’ or ‘c panel is cut off!’

I've gone down to 1360x768 but recently discovered that FM can be played on the Steam Deck, which is 1200x800.  I doubt I would ever consider that resolution otherwise, but I'm very tempted to buy one so I can play full fat FM on my 2-hour commutes to/from London.

Just now, GIMN said:

I've gone down to 1360x768 but recently discovered that FM can be played on the Steam Deck, which is 1200x800.  I doubt I would ever consider that resolution otherwise, but I'm very tempted to buy one so I can play full fat FM on my 2-hour commutes to/from London.

you ahve any problems with skins on stream deck? someone said mine kept crashing but ive no idea how to fix it 

1 minute ago, wkdsoul said:

you ahve any problems with skins on stream deck? someone said mine kept crashing but ive no idea how to fix it 

Ah sorry, I don't have a Steam Deck yet.  I've been tempted to, since learning FM "works" (albeit not supported).  It's the not fully supported bit that's giving me pause, as I don't think the base skin is particularly optimised for a 3:2 ratio.

hi guys,

I just wanted to share some screenshots of my skin. One of the things I dont like about skins is that they have the same structure for different types of players. Well, I've finally unleashed the power of the mighty selector panel, and I was able to get three different overview panels for players in my team (first image), in other teams (the second) and without a team (the third); the panels switch automatically. Everything changes, even the tabbed panels. Forget my enthusiasm: probably (surely) it is something you know how to do from a century or so, but for me it's all new :lol:

2.thumb.jpg.9008d80e0d90b6caf4923b2a42bf3697.jpg1.thumb.jpg.f3c40f52dd15b518bd572b2b00c16958.jpg3.thumb.jpg.db661d24277f2d11abd13d630fc0c831.jpg

Edited by mastelli

@mastelli This is great! What’s the process of a selector panel? What’s the body of code needed to make the game choose what blocks of code to load? This could really help me with some issues I have with certain bits of information I would like hidden on some pages but visible on others. Maybe 😊

2 minuti fa, Tyburn ha scritto:

@mastelli This is great! What’s the process of a selector panel? What’s the body of code needed to make the game choose what blocks of code to load? This could really help me with some issues I have with certain bits of information I would like hidden on some pages but visible on others. Maybe 😊

I've created a first selector panel with this code

<panel>
	<container class="subsection_box" appearance="boxes/bordered/transparent/paper" id="SUBP">
		<layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="all" apply_to_children="true" inset="0" />
		<layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="all" inset="0" />
	</container>

<!-- widget class="popup_button" id="popv"  auto_size="horizontal" height="20" click_event="msis" appearance="buttons/custom/customise panel/button" fixed="true">
    <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="top,right" inset="6"/>
  </widget-->

<container id="ppdp" default_item="ppdp" navigation_container="true" file="PANEL FOR PLAYERS IN YOUR TEAM" save_session_state="false" minimum_width="-1" default_width="-1" priority="2" valid_for_international_managers_other_team="false" valid_for_other_team_managers="false" valid_for_unemployed_managers="false" valid_for_unemployed_player="false">
<translation id="title" type="use" value="" /></container>

<container id="ppdo" default_item="ppdo" navigation_container="true" file="PANEL FOR PLAYERS IN OTHER TEAMS" save_session_state="false" minimum_width="-1" default_width="-1" priority="2" valid_for_unemployed_player="false" valid_for_human_team_managers="false"><translation id="title" type="use" value="" /></container>

<container id="ppdn" default_item="ppnt" navigation_container="true" file="PANEL FOR PLAYERS WITHOUT TEAM" save_session_state="false" minimum_width="-1" default_width="-1" priority="2" valid_for_other_team_managers="false" valid_for_unemployed_managers="false" valid_for_unemployed_player="true" valid_for_human_team_managers="false"><translation id="title" type="use" value="" /></container>

</panel>

you will have to activate the popup button the first time (delete !-- and --), because the selector will not choose correctly the panel for players in your team (I don't have a solution for this). After you change the panel you want, you can disable the popup button, and it will be like the game has no selector panel but just the panel you want when you want it. The id you see are just an example. I hope it is clear

9 minutes ago, mastelli said:

I've created a first selector panel with this code

<panel>
	<container class="subsection_box" appearance="boxes/bordered/transparent/paper" id="SUBP">
		<layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="all" apply_to_children="true" inset="0" />
		<layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="all" inset="0" />
	</container>

<!-- widget class="popup_button" id="popv"  auto_size="horizontal" height="20" click_event="msis" appearance="buttons/custom/customise panel/button" fixed="true">
    <layout class="stick_to_sides_attachment" alignment="top,right" inset="6"/>
  </widget-->

<container id="ppdp" default_item="ppdp" navigation_container="true" file="PANEL FOR PLAYERS IN YOUR TEAM" save_session_state="false" minimum_width="-1" default_width="-1" priority="2" valid_for_international_managers_other_team="false" valid_for_other_team_managers="false" valid_for_unemployed_managers="false" valid_for_unemployed_player="false">
<translation id="title" type="use" value="" /></container>

<container id="ppdo" default_item="ppdo" navigation_container="true" file="PANEL FOR PLAYERS IN OTHER TEAMS" save_session_state="false" minimum_width="-1" default_width="-1" priority="2" valid_for_unemployed_player="false" valid_for_human_team_managers="false"><translation id="title" type="use" value="" /></container>

<container id="ppdn" default_item="ppnt" navigation_container="true" file="PANEL FOR PLAYERS WITHOUT TEAM" save_session_state="false" minimum_width="-1" default_width="-1" priority="2" valid_for_other_team_managers="false" valid_for_unemployed_managers="false" valid_for_unemployed_player="true" valid_for_human_team_managers="false"><translation id="title" type="use" value="" /></container>

</panel>

you will have to activate the popup button the first time (delete !-- and --), because the selector will not choose correctly the panel for players in your team (I don't have a solution for this). After you change the panel you want, you can disable the popup button, and it will be like the game has no selector panel but just the panel you want when you want it. The id you see are just an example. I hope it is clear

Yep. I think I get it. Thank you very much for sharing! Will have a play around.

在 2022/10/24 在 PM7点55分, stevemc说:

My skin is basically just all the hard work by @bluestillidie00 on the Base23 Transparent Skin, with a few tweaks I like, and so I can show my backgrounds packs through them (still WIP):

• Stadiums on schedule screen:

image.thumb.png.23dfe840fbf86d2f3219fbde04317853.png

• Shirt & Number on profile screen:

image.thumb.png.830a95e142c95f2b780d67cac15eace1.png

• Faces on tactics screen, team talks and subs bench

image.thumb.png.43476fa9f432856655ff37d4632167cd.png

image.thumb.png.f94d84c7635bfd96d52c2f1b758b90c5.png

image.png.73fa83391abefb6526aaa1381cf7cd3d.png

Plus font changes, colour changes and opacity for backgrounds to show through.

the back button is missing on the team talk screen...

2 hours ago, hyrule_king said:

What do people think of the colour scheme, need to go through and sort out all the buttons etc...

dfacc751cd97384f6dc876d01aa41951.png

1 hour ago, hyrule_king said:

Its a bit like the coffee one I did , it wasn't too every taste. Is there anything in particular that your not a fan of?

If it was for personal use, I'd just say go for whatever looks good to you. But since you asked.. :D 

That color just isn't well suited as a background color, its simply way too strong and there isn't enough contrast when looking at other items, mainly the text. Black text doesn't have enough contrast when compared to that orange background, it needs to stand out more. 

To solve this, you should pick a darker and a more gentle color as a background, and change all text to white, or use a much lighter background and dark/black text (which is much harder to do, as there's probably a ton of text that needs to be changed in a few dozen different xml files).

I know most people here probably don't have any knowledge of color theory, other design principles (contrast in this case), or modern design trends, as most of us are just doing this for ourselves, for fun. But I would suggest reading up on it, and learning some of that stuff, as it can greatly help with designing nice color schemes, and good looking skins.

Edited by (sic)

1 hour ago, hyrule_king said:

Its a bit like the coffee one I did , it wasn't too every taste. Is there anything in particular that your not a fan of?

4 minutes ago, (sic) said:

If it was for personal use, I'd just say go for whatever looks good to you. But since you asked.. :D 

That color just isn't well suited as a background color, its simply way too strong and there isn't enough contrast when looking at other items, mainly the text. Black text doesn't have enough contrast when compared to that orange background, it needs to stand out more. 

To solve this, you should pick a darker and a more gentle color as a background, and change all text to white, or use a much lighter background and dark/black text (which is much harder to do, as there's probably a ton of text that needs to be changed in a few dozen different xml files).

I know most people here probably don't have any knowledge of color theory, other design principles (contrast in this case), or modern design trends, as most of us are just doing this for ourselves, for fun. But I would suggest reading up on it, and learning some of that stuff, as it can greatly help with designing nice color schemes, and good looking skins.

I could not have said the above any better...

But it was only because you asked i said something, else i would never speak up about others taste in setup, colour etc as it's up to the single person if they like it or not

** When you say the coffee you did, are we talking about colours or the skin released ? **

3 hours ago, hyrule_king said:

What do people think of the colour scheme, need to go through and sort out all the buttons etc...

dfacc751cd97384f6dc876d01aa41951.png

Personally, as a colour scheme, it's too flat.  The orange itself is okay - it's interesting and warm, but it would benefit from being broken up with other colours. 

As @(sic) mentioned there's an issue with contrast, and I think you will benefit from deciding whether you want light or dark text.  Trying to use both is super tricky as they are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum.  Decide on that first, and the rest will fall in place!

A couple of useful tools:

Contrast Checker:  Enter your main background and text colours and see if there is another contrast for readability - https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/
"Color" Designer: A variety of colour related tools; palettes, gradient generators, etc... - https://colordesigner.io/color-palettes

14 hours ago, GIMN said:

Personally, as a colour scheme, it's too flat.  The orange itself is okay - it's interesting and warm, but it would benefit from being broken up with other colours. 

As @(sic) mentioned there's an issue with contrast, and I think you will benefit from deciding whether you want light or dark text.  Trying to use both is super tricky as they are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum.  Decide on that first, and the rest will fall in place!

A couple of useful tools:

Contrast Checker:  Enter your main background and text colours and see if there is another contrast for readability - https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/
"Color" Designer: A variety of colour related tools; palettes, gradient generators, etc... - https://colordesigner.io/color-palettes

9270a970db4494334a78b08e94a0b12c.png

This seems a much better color mix.

20 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

I'm hesitant to post this given the incredible  find from @bluestillidie00 and I don't want to come across as just 'stealing it' within a day of him releasing. However, I was an avid fan of the attribute bars on FM18 and was genuinely sad when they disappeared. I missed being able to track the actual growth of attributes but have pined for something that isn't a number that I can still count, as it were.

Enter this:

ca099b236955398c14931fd7d3faedb1.png

Each half circle (which mirrors how I've replaced scouting stars across the game) represents an attribute point, with the first ten being grey and, 11 to 14 being blue and 15 and above being gold. This means that I can track attribute growth in my youngsters, use the phrase 'x is a 5* player for Flair' and then move away from the numbers to focus them, like many others have, on the statistical side of the game.

This will also be applied to popups, training and, basically, everything I can find...

--

So - what do you think? I'm probably going to keep it, regardless, for personal use, but would it drum up interest for a release?

I love what you did with the player's profile panel. Wonderful job, Ben.

2 hours ago, lukavski said:

I love what you did with the player's profile panel. Wonderful job, Ben.

Thank you. Appreciate the kind words. Just finished up some messing around with it and here is my end attribute area:

image.png.7c3602c503d3a703eea710c57568cf06.png

Each half circle is a possible 2 attribute points to add some ambiguity but still allow me to track attribute development over time, which is my favourite thing to do in game. 

56 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

Thank you. Appreciate the kind words. Just finished up some messing around with it and here is my end attribute area:

image.png.7c3602c503d3a703eea710c57568cf06.png

Each half circle is a possible 2 attribute points to add some ambiguity but still allow me to track attribute development over time, which is my favourite thing to do in game. 

That ambiguity is what the base game is actually lacking. This idea makes the game so much better.

4 minutes ago, hyrule_king said:

c77a272eda044313a18a2c34c13a9895.png

That's much better!  Having an additional shade of blue in there gives the depth and helps focus your eyes on the main area.  It also provides additional contrast against the white text.

After a bit of public perception here. Trying to create a new way to show attributes on screens that don't have the room for the five circles like I've used elsewhere. I, so far, have these options:

OPTION 1: Pizza

dbe8cea137d6bf5722321556bf8a39cf.png

OPTION 2: Pies

a3941caec6ad31b5fb670a1153a15391.png

OPTION 3: Re-used Morale

2950352bdb93c400f1ee6bed48bccc30.png

OPTION 4: Size dependent

e5c2046fc816d7921740aa0e0d9ee60f.png

--

So, what do you like and why? Also - what don't you like?

Thanks!

Edited by _Ben_

1 hour ago, GIMN said:

That's much better!  Having an additional shade of blue in there gives the depth and helps focus your eyes on the main area.  It also provides additional contrast against the white text.

@GIMNany ideas how to put a tab within the squad planner for the old squad depth, found the file I need, but every time I try to create a separate tab it comes up with an error.

14 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

After a bit of public perception here. Trying to create a new way to show attributes on screens that don't have the room for the five circles like I've used elsewhere. I, so far, have these options:

--

Thanks!

I like the third one: Re-used Morale. Mainly because the size of the icons stays the same. 

But I don't dislike option 4.

17 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

--

Thanks!

Option 3 for me.

43 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

--

Thanks!

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but I prefer option 4. It's really easy to distinguish strengths both player level (horizontally) and attribute level (vertically)

28 minutes ago, hyrule_king said:

@GIMNany ideas how to put a tab within the squad planner for the old squad depth, found the file I need, but every time I try to create a separate tab it comes up with an error.

I think I'm one of the few who really likes the Squad Planner, so not really found much need to look into the old Squad depth, so afraid I can't help there.

53 minutes ago, _Ben_ said:

--

Thanks!

1,3 , 2, 4 in that order.

I am much more a visually oriented type of person, so anything that tells me the information I am looking for in such a way that I don't have to second guess what I am looking at when I am wearing the wrong set of bifocals works best for me.

Jellico

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

--

Thanks!

Option 3 for me.

在 2022/10/30 在 AM11点52分, a31632说:

Updated/edited the licensed match preview line-ups (showing player faces and kits alternating for home and away teams, in this case Atletico and Celtic) and some other edits in the 2023 skin,

1378362382_Screenshot(6).thumb.png.c242f69ed96f2520fa6fcadb7d28079b.png257687121_Screenshot(5b).thumb.png.764a369c5f8eb11ebd33259c593a4944.png725718800_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.e6664b29f86d458dd6cbb1f3a1d8e10c.png323008794_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.a9835f6a48552a94a68657b233cd00b7.png1609073689_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.6337132ffd4aa798e13a16019f0ff531.png963282238_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.0643641e27eadc31661075ea462c8c72.png1307849445_Screenshot(4).thumb.png.6bec7cfbe18ede86cc6bdf0f51f4445a.png

Hi, what .fmf files did you modify to achieve this? And how?

3 hours ago, giggsxbr said:

Hi, what .fmf files did you modify to achieve this? And how?

I didn't edit any fmf files. I edited the licensed match intro files and created an "animated_wipe_cycle_fade_container" in the "tactics icon" file that contains a container with the player faces and a separate container with the team kits in it.  In combination I enlarged the pitch graphics and (of course) also the contents. You can find the files in the "match/comps" folder in the panels folder. I imported them in my skin and edited them.

1 小时前, a31632说:

I didn't edit any fmf files. I edited the licensed match intro files and created an "animated_wipe_cycle_fade_container" in the "tactics icon" file that contains a container with the player faces and a separate container with the team kits in it.  In combination I enlarged the pitch graphics and (of course) also the contents. You can find the files in the "match/comps" folder in the panels folder. I imported them in my skin and edited them.

where can I find your skin? I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with this forums...

22 horas atrás, _Ben_ disse:

--

Thanks!

For me 1