The game is too easy again...

Last year I opened a similar thread about the game being too easy, and I feel nothing was done about it.

I started a save with United and I played 19 games, won 17, lost one to City and drawn one to Fulham(Bloody Dan James scored in the 92 minute). I guess I lost to City because most of their bench players are better than most of my first team squad. I am not a very tactical guy, so it's probably not my super OP tactics and I didn't do a lot on the transfer market(I got Schjelderup who is a great rotation option and played really well). Ronaldo is scoring for fun like he is back in his prime with Real Madrid(18 goals and 3 assists in 13 PL games) and I made Liverpool and Arsenal my personal pinatas. United is supposed to be a 5-6 place team in the PL, not an OP super team that dominated the league(I am first in the PL and City is 3 points behind me).

image.png.2261c27bc3b24d8d33f6082df7b7455f.png

I know what most people going to say, just like last year, It's the beta it's going to get harder or it's my fault for playing a big team. Ok, in FM 22 after the last patch I did a save with Salford(League 2 team) and in six years I was mid-table PL team.

Also, I got to point out that United research team did a poor job this year. Harry Maguire looks and plays like a top PL defender and not like an overpriced donkey, Dalot and Martinez looking like a Championship LVL defenders and Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes are so OP it's unbelievable.

Can we get a little challenge please? Anybody else feels the same way?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mate,

I think you already answered a part of your question

Man U, is still considered as an elite team IG, so you have top players in your side, even if i agree, some of them are may be overpowered, was amazed by Maguire ratings tbh

Not sure that if you start over with Nottingham Forest, you'll get the same results by the way

I found the game myself more complex/realistic tactical wise

Edited by nico_france

10 minutes ago, nico_france said:

Hi Mate,

I think you already answered a part of your question

Man U, is still considered as an elite team IG, so you have top players in your side, even if i agree, some of them are may be overpowered, was amazed by Maguire ratings tbh

Not sure that if you start over with Nottingham Forest, you'll get the same results by the way

I found the game myself more complex/realistic tactical wise

Yeah, I was shocked by Maguire too. I think they nerfed his pace and acceleration but thats about it.

2 hours ago, SergeiG said:

Last year I opened a similar thread about the game being too easy, and I feel nothing was done about it.

I started a save with United and I played 19 games, won 17, lost one to City and drawn one to Fulham(Bloody Dan James scored in the 92 minute). I guess I lost to City because most of their bench players are better than most of my first team squad. I am not a very tactical guy, so it's probably not my super OP tactics and I didn't do a lot on the transfer market(I got Schjelderup who is a great rotation option and played really well). Ronaldo is scoring for fun like he is back in his prime with Real Madrid(18 goals and 3 assists in 13 PL games) and I made Liverpool and Arsenal my personal pinatas. United is supposed to be a 5-6 place team in the PL, not an OP super team that dominated the league(I am first in the PL and City is 3 points behind me).

image.png.2261c27bc3b24d8d33f6082df7b7455f.png

I know what most people going to say, just like last year, It's the beta it's going to get harder or it's my fault for playing a big team. Ok, in FM 22 after the last patch I did a save with Salford(League 2 team) and in six years I was mid-table PL team.

Also, I got to point out that United research team did a poor job this year. Harry Maguire looks and plays like a top PL defender and not like an overpriced donkey, Dalot and Martinez looking like a Championship LVL defenders and Ronaldo and Bruno Fernandes are so OP it's unbelievable.

Can we get a little challenge please? Anybody else feels the same way?

Try with a non league or lower league team 

5 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Try with a non league or lower league team 

Did you read my thread?

Last year I played Salford for 6 seasons and managed to be a mid-table PL team. I don't feel the game changed that much, a default Gegnpress still dominates the game.

Edited by SergeiG

28 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

Did you read my thread?

Last year I played Salford for 6 seasons and managed to be a mid-table PL team. I don't feel the game changed that much, a default Gegnpress still dominates the game.

So you only managed to be a mid table team . Why were you not a top table team ? If the games that easy you should be winning the lot 

1 minute ago, prot651 said:

So you only managed to be a mid table team . Why were you not a top table team ? If the games that easy you should be winning the lot 

Bro, taking a league 2 team and in 6 years be a mid-table PL team is unheard of. After the 6th season I think I finished 7th or so I stopped playing because it was boring and easy, My point exactly.

1 minute ago, GreenTriangle said:

Oh, I really can understand. It's so boring to be easy ...

Yeah. The difference from league 1 and the championship is huge and I think I finished 3rd or 4th in my first season in the championship and I lost the promotion playoffs, thats why I spend 2 seasons in the championship.

After that I began to lose interest slowly.

10 minutes ago, IMT said:

Stop managing Man Utd then and go and manage someone like Kings Lynn

This misses the point completely. 

Go and ask Ten Hag if he finds it challenging managing Man Utd. There should be challenge at every single level of the game. In fact, more so at the higher ones. 

8 minutes ago, DP said:

This misses the point completely. 

Go and ask Ten Hag if he finds it challenging managing Man Utd. There should be challenge at every single level of the game. In fact, more so at the higher ones. 

My point exactly.

At this point I find power wash simulator more challenging than FM.

3 minutes ago, 2calvin said:

Imagine you're SI and you've been tasked with attracting the casual FIFA crowd, are you making the game easy or difficult? 

I get your point, but the casual FIFA crowd didn't support the game since it was CM.

The people who played the game since high school, saving 3 months of allowance and taking the bus to a physical store to buy it doesn't matter anymore?

The game has always been thus. It needs to be to attract the 'casual' customer, as has been suggested. If you want a real challenge, you have to set your own 'rules'.

My YouTube feed is full of influencers starting FM23 beta series managing Man City, United, Chelsea, Newcastle etc. I have no interest in watching them as the outcome is utterly predictable.

Even starting with a lower league side becomes easy - your recruitment team will find players willing to join you that should never be dropping down so low and with AI squad building being poor, after a few years you can't help but dominate.

But back to YouTube, there's "Load FM!" Who starts unemployed with no badges and takes on a lowest league side, handing over all transfer powers to the Director of Football. "FM Llama" goes further with a personal rule to bring in no players ever - no transfers in, free or loans; the only new players can be your academy intakes. I've combined both sets of rules in a personal "Bumbling Amateur" campaign where every point is a genuine struggle.  If you don't want to add extra rules like these, just turning on attribute masking and not using player search might give you sufficient challenge.

1 hour ago, s1111 said:

Bournemouth literally did this

27 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

Fulham

AFC Bournemouth

The literary didn't.

None of them had back to back promotions from league 2 and 1(both from 1st place) and none of them had the same success in the championship nor did they preform that good in the PL, specially not Bournemouth who almost got relegated in the first season in the PL. But even if they did it's statistically irrelevant.

I also played with AZ and in 2 years I dominated the Dutch league and was a  Champions League regular. I played with Anderlecht and in a few years I won the Champions League.

You can fanboy all you want, but the game is too easy.

Edited by SergeiG

58 minutes ago, SergeiG said:

The literary didn't.

None of them had back to back promotions from league 2 and 1(both from 1st place) and none of them had the same success in the championship nor did they preform that good in the PL, specially not Bournemouth who almost got relegated in the first season in the PL. But even if they did it's statistically irrelevant.

I also played with AZ and in 2 years I dominated the Dutch league and was a  Champions League regular. I played with Anderlecht and in a few years I won the Champions League.

You can fanboy all you want, but the game is too easy.

Your statement said it’s unheard of to go from League 2 to mid table prem in 6 years. Bournemouth were in League 2 in 2010 and finished 9th in their second season in the Prem in 2016/7 so 7 years.

Fulham went from what is now league 2 in 1997 to finishing 13th in the prem in 2002 so 5 years.

So it’s not unheard of is all.

Back on topic though. What attributes are you giving your manager?

Unfortunately, if you're remotely good at the game it is far too easy if you play with any half-decent team and has been for a long time now.

I play as Liverpool and adminteedly they have the second-best squad/fourth biggest budget in the league in the league so obviously should be competing for trophies but the last couples of years of the game have killed it for me:

- FM21: played one save and won the first nine Champions Leagues in a row

- FM22: played one season, half-heartedly, won the league with record points

This can never be discussed seriously on here, though, as people start saying "don't be Liverpool, then, be Crawley Town". Why would a Liverpool fan want to play a game as Crawley you ask?

Anyway, bought it again, didn't I? Soon as I saw you could make a manager profile with a FitBit...

3 hours ago, 2calvin said:

Imagine you're SI and you've been tasked with attracting the casual FIFA crowd, are you making the game easy or difficult? 

This 100%.

I can fully understand that there has to be an easy/beginner mode for new/casual players, but they have to explore the idea of introducing difficulty levels for the good/experienced players somehow for me.

4 hours ago, chewbaccaloveaddiction said:

Annual United is OP thread, but fr 25% got an invicible season in fm22, I wish there were difficulty settings in FM making the game much harder. It would be trivial to let the AI use more optimized tactics.

going away from the United is OP, the game either needs to allow settings to increase/decrease various effects on gameplay or just stop adding features that have minimal effects on the game. Like supporter's confidence. There should be adjustable settings for things like familiarity, cohesion, injuries  morale, etc.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

5 minutes ago, Matt_1979 said:

If you want a challenge, pick a team that will present you with a challenge. 

Orrrrrr, ask the developers of the game that we're paying for to make a game with a realistic level of challenge.

Your solution can't be that every person that buys the game that is a fan of City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Milan, Juve, Inter, Roma, Napoli, Barcelona, Real, Atletico etc., should not play as their favourite team and should instead play as some non-league team?

And on the odd occasion I have managed smaller teams, you just fly through the leagues with back-to-back-to-promotions. It's still not a challenge, it's just delaying the inevitable.

Just now, dannysheard said:

Orrrrrr, ask the developers of the game that we're paying for to make a game with a realistic level of challenge.

Your solution can't be that every person that buys the game that is a fan of City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Milan, Juve, Inter, Roma, Napoli, Barcelona, Real, Atletico etc., should not play as their favourite team and should instead play as some non-league team?

And on the odd occasion I have managed smaller teams, you just fly through the leagues with back-to-back-to-promotions. It's still not a challenge, it's just delaying the inevitable.

No doubt playing a cheesy AI exploit tactic. 

7 minutes ago, Matt_1979 said:

No doubt playing a cheesy AI exploit tactic. 

So you have literally no doubt that's what I'm doing? OK.

And for what it's worth, I add lots of artificial difficult in when I play (start with below-suggested experience, leave scouting and training to staff) and haven't downloaded a tactic (or needed to) for about 10 years. And I haven't saved and reloaded in probably longer than that.

Can I just ask, what's your personal issue with the notion that some people want to a) play as their favourite team and b) have the game give a realistic challenge for that team (so for my Liverpool who have maybe 4th/5th biggest budget in the league and won one league title in 32 years, that would be challenge for the title most years)?

Is it that you just don't believe us? Do you dislike big teams? Keyboard warrior?

Edited by dannysheard

So you have literally no doubt that's what I'm doing? OK.

And for what it's worth, I add lots of artificial difficult in when I play (start with below-suggested experience, leave scouting and training to staff) and haven't downloaded a tactic (or needed to) for about 10 years. And I haven't saved and reloaded in probably longer than that.

Can I just ask, what's your personal issue with the notion that some people want to a) play as their favourite team and b) have the game give a realistic challenge for that team (so for my Liverpool who have maybe 4th/5th biggest budget in the league and won one league title in 32 years)?

Is it that you just don't believe us? Do you dislike big teams? Keyboard warrior?

My issue is people choosing the best teams and then complaining the game is too easy. 

You’re the best teams. You’re supposed to win. You have an advantage over the AI. 

Very probably playing 3 strikers, hamming the near post corners. 

….and you’re playing as Liverpool??? 
Amazing  

AND it’s only the beta  

FM is easy if you make it easy, like leaving attributes unmasked, use player search and so on. There are skins that hide all attributes from the game or at least make them colored by ranges. Knowing the exact value of an attribute is not realistic if you think about it

2 minutes ago, Matt_1979 said:

My issue is people choosing the best teams and then complaining the game is too easy. 

You’re the best teams. You’re supposed to win. You have an advantage over the AI. 

Very probably playing 3 strikers, hamming the near post corners. 

….and you’re playing as Liverpool??? 
Amazing  

AND it’s only the beta  

Keyboard warrior it is, then.

So, you've now come to the conclusion that I no doubt download tactics (I don't), very probably play three strikers (I play a pretty standard 4-3-3), abuse near-post corners (I actually leave set-pieces as default). You're just making things up, mate. Why? Do you want to DM me and I can help.

I know I'm one of the best teams so I should be winning most of my games but winning nine Champions Leagues in a row (whilst trying to make the game more difficult for myself) shows the game is fundamentally flawed. Even City who are backed by a nation state haven't won one Champions League yet.

If you're finding the game challenging, that's great, but some of us don't.

It's disappointing that the game is still too easy, I was hoping with the new ai manager stuff and better defensive play this version of FM would be more challenging but it's just the same as fm22. 

I can simply use a pre defined tactic and click continue to win, team talks, training, press stuff, Tactics does not make difference to the outcome, even players on very low fitness levels playblinders and get high match ratings. 

Perhaps realistic injury rates would make the game more difficult, at the end of the day I'm disappointed again. I

So, you've now come to the conclusion that I no doubt download tactics (I don't), very probably play three strikers (I play a pretty standard 4-3-3), abuse near-post corners (I actually leave set-pieces as default). You're just making things up, mate. Why? Do you want to DM me and I can help.

I know I'm one of the best teams so I should be winning most of my games but winning nine Champions Leagues in a row (whilst trying to make the game more difficult for myself) shows the game is fundamentally flawed. Even City who are backed by a nation state haven't won one Champions League yet.

Wow, well maybe you’re just a footballing genius and should go into full time management. 

Or maybe if being a top team is too easy, be a crap team, one in debt and struggling. Give yourself a sense of achievement rather than coasting… because you’re one of the top 3 teams in the game. 🙄

8 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Here you go. You’re welcome. 

I'm not trying to make myself out to be some sort of footballing genius. In fact, that's the problem. If I were completely squeezing the pips by manually setting training, searching for the best players, taking time to bespoke tactics etc. (like I used to do), I'd think maybe winning more often than Liverpool do in real life (one league in 32 years) was reasonable.

In reality, I spend five minutes setting fairly vanilla tactics at the start of the game and then fly through the seasons relatively quickly and still win an unrealsitic amount of games.

Are you saying nobody should play as the best six teams in the Premier League?

6 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Alright guys, can we calm it down a bit please, no need for the digs at one another 

Fair enough, I retract 'keyboard warrior.'

It's just frustrating that we can't have a serious discussion about the game being too easy without the only suggested solution being play as a random, poor team.