The FM23 Youth Academy Challenge

1 minute ago, XaW said:

Who can say no to endless parenthesis in horrible formulas... :D 

xUiDS2j.png

I went with the 65 column width strategy for calculations, which is equally as painful as any mistake sends you int an abyss of reference chains

image.thumb.png.743ce7e6035b55619eca306a6936c0d9.png

And then add the position-table and we're making it into the F Cells!

image.png.93e0d8bdaaee233746da27babb5ce054.png

My excel ain't pretty that's for sure...

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, WhiteCat33 said:

I went with the 65 column width strategy for calculations, which is equally as painful as any mistake sends you int an abyss of reference chains

image.thumb.png.743ce7e6035b55619eca306a6936c0d9.png

And then add the position-table and we're making it into the F Cells!

image.png.93e0d8bdaaee233746da27babb5ce054.png

My excel ain't pretty that's for sure...

Yeah, I've always also been one of those "functionality over appearance" people when I create my spreadsheets. Looks horrible, but works surprisingly often. :D 

I have tried and failed this loads in the past but decided to give it another go. Decided to not allow myself to re-roll and be forced to choose one of the teams from the first go so here I am with.

Poole Town F.C.

c051332e8df393b66925dc0fa296d4f0.png

87c73b1e5e945db2c0fc7a50a9e1ad09.png

ae5d2a2c38ac58010c6420ca43a19184.png

dcc7097bab83a08f477b8cc5d343528b.png

On a side note really liking some of the spreadsheets I have see dotted around some of the updates and finding them as interesting as the updates themselves. Reminds me of when I used to record my Madden season in Excel as the game was so rubbish at recording info for you :)

Edit : After looking at the squad, well this is going to be an interesting first season.

I just about have every position covered (ish) to play the narrow 442 diamond that I have been using in my Level 10 Challenge game

65b4f7f6a61f6e679978133f13fd6ded.png

Edited by reerdo

21 hours ago, Libertine13 said:

@Weed07 excellent progress in N. Ireland. Well ahead of me! Just curious to see if theres much difference ability wise between a couple of your starting XI players and mine as I've struggled in the top flight and have a major issue with the number of goals I concede lol.

@Libertine13 I got lucky with a good keeper who had saved us in loads of games, we won't be able to keep hold of him much longer as Leeds are now interested so we may struggle when he goes. I've also got a good centre back and now a good striker (who will probably be sold soon as West Ham, Fulham and Leicester keeping bidding low amounts for him) plus a few decent players but a lot of them aren't great.

These are my best players with 3 star ability or higher:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.2c8bbfb74cd6a66c44a83fd8e07d8642.png

image.thumb.png.ada05f6b6284b43c7d0e849362673c7c.png

image.thumb.png.b26bdbcef37f13dbacc656818f0eed42.png

image.thumb.png.e7c9e61d59e41ecca388dfe11e1e9ba6.png

image.thumb.png.83ce55a4a7408535327c08503c75e0f5.png

image.thumb.png.d3f9af118d2ab42a667625d376f771bc.png

The rest of my players are ok, some have potential but not great stats and others have a couple of decent stats but probably won't improve much. If we start losing our best players we are going to struggle and some are getting unhappy and want to move to bigger clubs.

Tactically in our first two seasons I played a counter attacking style and defended deep which helped concede less but we relied heavily on our keeper

Last time I undertook (And completed) this challenge was about 6 or 7 years ago. (Haven't played a FM game ever since then because I was quite burned out after 150+ years at FC United.)

Finally bought 2023 again because I started having that itch again, and of course I want to throw myself into the deep right away with another Youth Only challenge. (Fueled by all the amazing stories here.)

I was planning to start in The Netherlands, however it seems that isn't possible anymore, which kinda sucks. (And, I guess that using a Database from steam to enable that isn't allowed either.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       So, I thought "Why not start in Belgium then? Kinda the same."  However, I've been reading here that there is a big financial bug there. (even though there are a couple of people that managed to fight through that.)

Would you advice against anyone starting a Youth Only game in Belgium, or would it only add to the challenge.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I don't want to play in a country where the national league becomes a joke after a while (like Wales or Luxemburg.) (Even though the CL challenge in incredible in countries like that.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           I still want to have a somewhat challenge in the normal competitions as well. Does anyone have some great recommendations for countries if The Netherlands is not allowed and Belgium not advised.)                                                                                          

Well i ticked over to November but 5 points off the relegation spot its not looking good, Im seeing this though trying to turn it around or by getting the boot i think the latter is more likley :seagull:

7 hours ago, JusttJD said:

Last time I undertook (And completed) this challenge was about 6 or 7 years ago. (Haven't played a FM game ever since then because I was quite burned out after 150+ years at FC United.)

Finally bought 2023 again because I started having that itch again, and of course I want to throw myself into the deep right away with another Youth Only challenge. (Fueled by all the amazing stories here.)

I was planning to start in The Netherlands, however it seems that isn't possible anymore, which kinda sucks. (And, I guess that using a Database from steam to enable that isn't allowed either.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       So, I thought "Why not start in Belgium then? Kinda the same."  However, I've been reading here that there is a big financial bug there. (even though there are a couple of people that managed to fight through that.)

Would you advice against anyone starting a Youth Only game in Belgium, or would it only add to the challenge.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I don't want to play in a country where the national league becomes a joke after a while (like Wales or Luxemburg.) (Even though the CL challenge in incredible in countries like that.)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           I still want to have a somewhat challenge in the normal competitions as well. Does anyone have some great recommendations for countries if The Netherlands is not allowed and Belgium not advised.)                                                                                          

Welcome back! With SIs changes to requesting youth facility upgrades our tiny countries have become seriously challenging and made me stop LUX in frustration, so i get avoiding them. I'd say Portugal and Turkey could be countries as alternatives to Belgium or Netherlands. There are also good Swiss and Czech DB on steam if you want a low league start. I've enjoyed the German LL one but it doesn't have full U19 leagues so scheduling friendlies can be annoying. 

1 hour ago, WhiteCat33 said:

Welcome back! With SIs changes to requesting youth facility upgrades our tiny countries have become seriously challenging and made me stop LUX in frustration, so i get avoiding them. I'd say Portugal and Turkey could be countries as alternatives to Belgium or Netherlands. There are also good Swiss and Czech DB on steam if you want a low league start. I've enjoyed the German LL one but it doesn't have full U19 leagues so scheduling friendlies can be annoying. 

I do like to stay either in West-Europe or Scandinavia.
Denmark was another one of my choices, but I've read a lot of stories here that it's almost impossible to do because all your players keep being poached because you are not able to get a Pro status soon enough.
Germany would be fun as well, and is one of my 2 choices left now. (Managing the U-19 stuff wouldn't really be an issue because with a Youth Only challenge you are supposed to manage everything anyway.)

I'm also starting to think about England.
I know that I could spend another 100+ years in there, however I don't want to think halfway "This is not like my FC United save, so let's stop."

I'm not just looking to do a Youth Only Challenge, but also a "break all records possible" save
(So, like become the team that has won the premier league the most times, the cups, the champions league, etc.)

I'm going think about it for a couple more days and in the meantime keep reading this topic for inspiration.

Edited by JusttJD

6 minutes ago, Barnsley said:

image.thumb.png.efa8370550d3538177b70e8ee14318dd.png

Well, that makes you financially sound, no matter if you go straight back down. I think you should get around 90 million or something for playing a season in the PL...

That's it, i am fully expecting to come straight back down, but it would be amazing to have had a season there and to have given Anthony Connor his premier league shot. and i finally unlocked the national hero achievement on steam!

FInancially secure, alot of the team are on very low wages still so this will really boost our finances and keep us going again. If relegated will also get some parachute money too? 

Man this is incredibly exciting.

3 minutes ago, Barnsley said:

That's it, i am fully expecting to come straight back down, but it would be amazing to have had a season there and to have given Anthony Connor his premier league shot. and i finally unlocked the national hero achievement on steam!

FInancially secure, alot of the team are on very low wages still so this will really boost our finances and keep us going again. If relegated will also get some parachute money too? 

Man this is incredibly exciting.

Yeah, I think you get some yearly parachute money for 3 (I think) years. So the finances should no longer be an issue, new stadium and any facilities are yours! :D 

1 hour ago, JusttJD said:

I do like to stay either in West-Europe or Scandinavia.
Denmark was another one of my choices, but I've read a lot of stories here that it's almost impossible to do because all your players keep being poached because you are not able to get a Pro status soon enough.
Germany would be fun as well, and is one of my 2 choices left now. (Managing the U-19 stuff wouldn't really be an issue because with a Youth Only challenge you are supposed to manage everything anyway.)

I'm also starting to think about England.
I know that I could spend another 100+ years in there, however I don't want to think halfway "This is not like my FC United save, so let's stop."

I'm not just looking to do a Youth Only Challenge, but also a "break all records possible" save
(So, like become the team that has won the premier league the most times, the cups, the champions league, etc.)

I'm going think about it for a couple more days and in the meantime keep reading this topic for inspiration.

For Germany it seems once you get to the Regional Divisions (Tier 4) U19s get added to a league 2-Tier Youth League, which is about when I expect to actually use the U19s for anything other than fitness for subs. Just figured it was worth mentioning as for some not having the U19s in a league wouldn't be as exciting. Not sure if SI fixed it with Winter patches but on launch some German clubs would have just absurd numbers of African second nationality players (like 80%+) in their intakes, if you like collecting nations. In addition to Turkey I know Hamburg & Berlin LandesLigas can get Croatia alt-nationality clubs if you like building up alt-nations in your save like I do. I think someone made a thread about all the different options as I'm sure theirs more. I want to say either Austria or Germany has a Syrian regen club.

2 minutes ago, WhiteCat33 said:

For Germany it seems once you get to the Regional Divisions (Tier 4) U19s get added to a league 2-Tier Youth League, which is about when I expect to actually use the U19s for anything other than fitness for subs. Just figured it was worth mentioning as for some not having the U19s in a league wouldn't be as exciting. Not sure if SI fixed it with Winter patches but on launch some German clubs would have just absurd numbers of African second nationality players (like 80%+) in their intakes, if you like collecting nations. In addition to Turkey I know Hamburg & Berlin LandesLigas can get Croatia alt-nationality clubs if you like building up alt-nations in your save like I do. I think someone made a thread about all the different options as I'm sure theirs more. I want to say either Austria or Germany has a Syrian regen club.

Thanks for all your advice. :)
I actually decided on a competition and am now busy getting it all in order.

Scotland was broken as well it seems, but the database that extends the league to Level 10 seems to fix the problem for lower teams.

So, I think I'm going to try that out.
(And, I assume that that is allowed for the challenge? Or, not? )

3 minutes ago, JusttJD said:

Thanks for all your advice. :)
I actually decided on a competition and am now busy getting it all in order.

Scotland was broken as well it seems, but the database that extends the league to Level 10 seems to fix the problem for lower teams.

So, I think I'm going to try that out.
(And, I assume that that is allowed for the challenge? Or, not? )

yes I'm pretty sure the Scotland 10-tier is fine. Not sure if that has relegation in the bottom playable division. If it doesn't you just choose any team that finished last in its league. GL!

1 hour ago, Barnsley said:

Oh my god no :(  literally, just like that.

image.thumb.png.afd9759b8c5423a0931150d87aef8ad5.png

If any player deserves legend status, it's that man. I don't blame him wanting to retire on a high (as I assume you couldn't get him to reconsider). Maybe now that he's retired they can name the stadium after him?

9 hours ago, WhiteCat33 said:

If any player deserves legend status, it's that man. I don't blame him wanting to retire on a high (as I assume you couldn't get him to reconsider). Maybe now that he's retired they can name the stadium after him?

Aye, he did retire, I couldn't convince him. Glad he is on the staff list now as Head of Youth development, i will try and get him onto U18s or 21s Manager at some point as he has interest in those roles .

Our Premier League debut went well! in for a long 38 games :D 

image.thumb.png.7905ff51e4df706e12e1495cc2c53ba6.png

10 hours ago, WhiteCat33 said:

yes I'm pretty sure the Scotland 10-tier is fine. Not sure if that has relegation in the bottom playable division. If it doesn't you just choose any team that finished last in its league. GL!

One more question though, and this is also to the people that maintain this thread and enforce the rules.
If it's allowed to choose the lowest finishing team in Tier 10 of Scotland, then why can't we do the same thing for Holland?

I know that it's not the rule, but 10 years ago the rule was to allow this challenge only in England, and look where we are now.
I think that an exception should be made for Holland, simply because it's a rather big but more importantly a popular competition.
There won't be any official relegation for the next 5-10 years, and it wouldn't surprise me if it never happens. (The teams below don't want to get promoted because of the financial risks.)

The lowest rated teams in the "Keuken Kampioen Divisie" are worse than the higher rated amateur teams.
The lower rated teams that will most likely finish last (Top Oss, Telstar, Helmond.) have worse accommodations than the average Vanarama South Teams.  (So, it's not like you will get a headstart.)

You could even make a couple of unique rules for people that want to take this challenge on in The Netherlands.
- Go on Holiday for a year and pick the team that finished in last place. (Or, 19th in case a "Jong" team finished 20th.)
- If you finish 20th yourself in the "Keuken Kampioen Divisie" , it will be considered to be a relegation and a game over.
- You have to provide an extra screenshot of the table with the team that finished last.

Holland is such a fun country to coach in, and people have successfully completed this challenge in the past versions.
So, it would be such a shame to exclude it from this challenge, most likely forever.
So, why not look for a way to include it, instead of throwing it away. :)

2 hours ago, JusttJD said:

One more question though, and this is also to the people that maintain this thread and enforce the rules.
If it's allowed to choose the lowest finishing team in Tier 10 of Scotland, then why can't we do the same thing for Holland?

I know that it's not the rule, but 10 years ago the rule was to allow this challenge only in England, and look where we are now.
I think that an exception should be made for Holland, simply because it's a rather big but more importantly a popular competition.
There won't be any official relegation for the next 5-10 years, and it wouldn't surprise me if it never happens. (The teams below don't want to get promoted because of the financial risks.)

The lowest rated teams in the "Keuken Kampioen Divisie" are worse than the higher rated amateur teams.
The lower rated teams that will most likely finish last (Top Oss, Telstar, Helmond.) have worse accommodations than the average Vanarama South Teams.  (So, it's not like you will get a headstart.)

You could even make a couple of unique rules for people that want to take this challenge on in The Netherlands.
- Go on Holiday for a year and pick the team that finished in last place. (Or, 19th in case a "Jong" team finished 20th.)
- If you finish 20th yourself in the "Keuken Kampioen Divisie" , it will be considered to be a relegation and a game over.
- You have to provide an extra screenshot of the table with the team that finished last.

Holland is such a fun country to coach in, and people have successfully completed this challenge in the past versions.
So, it would be such a shame to exclude it from this challenge, most likely forever.

This thread was created a few months ago to cater for certain nations that are not eligible for inclusion here (including Holland).

4 hours ago, JusttJD said:

From my understanding, the reason it's allowed for a lower-league database is that they are attempting to include most if not all of the pyramid so very often the lowest league won't have relegation. It's been the case for me in Luxembourg, Slovenia and Malta which were all 5-6 tier databases so wasn't sure if it would be the same for Scotland. That low the teams are fully amateur with only YI players and almost uniformly minimal facilities and stadiums so there's basically no difference between the teams. 

I get your frustration, which is why that other thread was started though no one has really done a save over there. Opens up other nations like Ireland and USA without relegation. 

19 minutes ago, russ the womble said:

It's taken a while..

image.png.1c4360b7745428c518f9c0e369747eb0.png   image.png.0a3e1f1dfe82ffa0f35153be8144a9b8.png

image.png.60c1e97e06500a44c9308c6e6c29ce50.png

Amazing scenes..

image.thumb.png.3da5943136b4b134c18dc27026c2a728.png

Cracking win on the last day which was needed as we were equal points with Wolfsberger (albeit a much better GD, and Wolfsberger ended up drawing). We also lost to Wolfsberger the game before, which sucked but never mind..

The Table

Hide contents

image.png.63a954dd799df246274340f5cdfdbb0c.png

Went top at the mid-season break and managed to retain position for the rest of the season.

image.png.13b09124a076fe901000df0def3b099b.png

The Team

Reveal hidden contents

The midfield 3 and the introduction of Christopher Bigger on the RW were the big difference this season, plus Birkenstock's progress in defence.

image.png.322c74bf61f58ce0fd9d1020d2c37e6e.png

Going up was probably needed as Dortmund and others have been sniffing around my players. Hoping I can persuade a few of them to stay now we are in the top flight.

image.png.3b3099978278b912939191e7691e0dd5.png

The Talent

Reveal hidden contents

Some great players at the moment

image.png.bddb706d9eac9064eba806fecdebe811.png

image.png.66a9f5d164b1c0e3d60fb2e522b03e98.png

image.png.4f19de178a07f6adcb37503c2a6623c0.png

image.png.08732e36b2e1dd1b814051753d94bd5f.png

image.png.5ba43274de8b0c85cd0a6310f31caeb4.png

Yilmaz is a big hope to take over in CM from Sven Fix (who wants a ridiculous wage!)

image.png.6b195cd6807c1430eeb91166fd481c88.png

image.png.5d2f0c618d3999027d954ccbe569220a.png

Decent set of youths, could do with a CB but alas.. new LB could be useful.

image.png.4c523bfd09915c84bb202e5450b5218a.png

The Stats

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.30c364b30c62a079e11ed5a08b0beae0.png

image.png.ee89373aabc895dcaa65ad1d68429b30.png

xG table puts us top too - good to see :)

image.png.5bd66da49dc0880949e6412fd0c51e33.png

The Bank

Reveal hidden contents

Selling LB for millions has alleviated pressure. 

image.png.c96880152aa8729e5bf3291abdf410f4.png

We also invested into the training ground, although I didn't realise at some point it had dropped in standard so we are back to where I thought we were!

Bank loan almost done.

image.png.53be87deb6e4ed04b0be875431f34aee.png

The Fans

Reveal hidden contents

We had a takeover which has reduced fans' influence on the board. Some decent growth in facebook followers

image.png.779e3560aaf386dde6d23fe4bfefa980.png

Obviously delighted to FINALLY go up, hopefully can keep the team together and stay up, not sure how easy that will be!

image.png.a8c7bcced3ef319cb73dbf86288aab6e.png

Finally promoted! Good luck next season :) 

After starting with the wrong team first, I started this challenge as well.
I started in Belgium and see how it will go with all the financial issues in there.

1.thumb.png.26816cc898aa4c88f4658ca86220a47d.png

2.thumb.png.9adfa55f463ea5f8c253992155e892ff.png

3.thumb.png.9797aeba29edbde7ae12df355ae7560e.png

It will be a steep learning curve after not playing it for years, but looking forward to it!

(And, hopefully those screenshots are correct.)

sevlievo.jpeg.12ed844cb8e3062d3facbda030fcba80.jpeg

Sevlievo Season Review (28/29)

League: 3 more wins than last season. We reached the Second Phase for the first time. We did well there with 3 wins and 2 ties. For the first time in this save, an other team than Ludogorets won the league. Congrats to Levski!

To be honest, I was getting a bit exhausted, because the football is so atrocious. I was ready to throw in the towel and start somewhere else, but then the intake give us new life! 

Spoiler

495555532_Screenshot2023-02-11at14_49_14.thumb.png.dae85c2c65717d7ba115a9d83d5b8d14.png

2123710881_Screenshot2023-02-11at14_49_29.png.c05e5b8697ed8757bf0652b410a7ce4f.png

Cup: Knocked out in the 2nd round. Still don't care until we're able to beat Ludogorets/CSKA/Levski

Intake: Unfortunately, I mistakenly deleted the screenshots I took by mistake. We've gotten our very first foreign newgen, all the way from Stichtse Velden in The Netherlands. His name is Mikki De Kruijck and boy, is he worth it! A technically gifted Ball Playing Defender, who immediately became the best player of the squad. This is what you get when Arjen Robben is your U19 Coach :-D. He really turned my entire team around. I moved my tactic to a 3 man defence and since he joined the starting 11, we only lost 1 game.

1173269195_Screenshot2023-02-13at10_03_00.thumb.png.c0d4fc367fa6468f588d9b963ead9867.png

First 9 games: 3 goals, 2 POM, Avg rating 7.56. By comparison, I have 1(!) other player with an avg rating about 7

1154096833_Screenshot2023-02-13at10_06_52.thumb.png.6247252a815827aac33bc369bdeafe37.png

Unfortunately, he doesn't want to sign a professional contract so I might lose him anytime :-(

Other: Our youth facilities downgraded, but we have no money to make further investments. We either need a big transfer fee or European football.