The FM23 Youth Academy Challenge

7 hours ago, Brentmeister said:

Hi all, i'm ready to start this challenge and I'm determined to get in the HOF!

Quick question, what's the best/quickest way to take a screenshot, I've completely forgot!?

I use ShareX to take screenshots.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of fun, ....... not :lol:

Well it escalate quickly and I got sacked after 10 Games in Season 2. It stated good with a 5:0 win over Osnabrück but then a really bad streak with a lot of injuries and losses hit us. 

1289653419_Bildschirmfoto2022-11-29um23_40_40.png.f44fbe6a2c90054421799c8e0bd8111e.png

Honestly I had no chance to avoid this, it feels bad not to get any chance from the board.  Well, I don't know if I try this again :rolleyes: Respect for everyone here who get such great results. 

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-29 um 23.35.23.png

Edited by sgevolker

EqXGwdx.png

2029/30 Midseason Review:

szWHUZa.png

Going as I had hoped. The young players are getting more experience. Not scoring as much as I'd like though so still some concern.

Intake Preview:

4pQE1vB.png

Disappointing looking. Always can use good fullback so no complaint there, but we're ok on keepers so I don't need another. I want a goal scorer. 

I was trying to start a save in Colombia last night, as it was one of the uncompleted countries, but after 2 seasons of simming, no new teams were promoted into div 2.

Not sure if you need to sim further like The Netherlands or if it's just unavailable to this challenge, thought i'd mention it.

8 minutes ago, Brentmeister said:

I was trying to start a save in Colombia last night, as it was one of the uncompleted countries, but after 2 seasons of simming, no new teams were promoted into div 2.

Not sure if you need to sim further like The Netherlands or if it's just unavailable to this challenge, thought i'd mention it.

Colombia isn't possible for this challenge because the third division in real life isn't managed by DIMAYOR.

11 hours ago, Deicide said:

So I'm still doing my FM21 save and am about to start season 14 and about to play my first game in the Championship, but my U23 squad didn't get invited to a league. What are the requirements for them to get an invite? Besides the youth level, club reputation and perhaps even facilities levels, what else is taken into account? Is there anything I can do to help us get an invite? FWIW, youth level is at 3, junior and youth recruitment are maxed out, training and youth facilities are average and  reputation is at (2 star) regional.

Also, how long did it take you guys to get your U23 squad invited to a league?  I want to get an idea of how long we'll have to wait.

The youth leagues are based on a youth level, but also a "first come, first serve". So what you can do is get the youth level up to 1, and then just wait. You have to wait until another team either withdraws their youth team (as you can do when you are asked if you want to join the league every season), or have their youth level reduced. Then you will be asked to join if you are the best candidate. In FM20, I think my team joined after 4 or 5 seasons at youth level 1, but this is from the top of my head, so don't quote me on it. Still, those are the requirements, max youth level, then chance.

Edit: Also, in FM23 this should be easier, based on this:

A feature that many have been calling for on our forums, all user-controlled Under-18 and Under-23 teams can now receive invites to active youth leagues, even if those teams have been created after your save game began.

Source: https://fmfc.footballmanager.com/blog/more-new-features-elevate-your-fm23-experience

Edited by XaW

1 minute ago, Brentmeister said:

That's a shame. I might try Chile or Uruguay instead if it's possible?

Uruguay is fun, but so strange. The cup wins impact the league table, and average points over a few seasons decide relegation. It's the madness I loved to hate, and hated to love! :D 

8 minutes ago, Brentmeister said:

That's a shame. I might try Chile or Uruguay instead if it's possible?

Chile and Uruguay should be promoting teams from the third division in the game. But I'll sim and check.

6 minutes ago, XaW said:

Uruguay is fun, but so strange. The cup wins impact the league table, and average points over a few seasons decide relegation. It's the madness I loved to hate, and hated to love! :D 

Average points for relegation is fun. :D

1 hour ago, XaW said:

The youth leagues are based on a youth level, but also a "first come, first serve". So what you can do is get the youth level up to 1, and then just wait. You have to wait until another team either withdraws their youth team (as you can do when you are asked if you want to join the league every season), or have their youth level reduced. Then you will be asked to join if you are the best candidate. In FM20, I think my team joined after 4 or 5 seasons at youth level 1, but this is from the top of my head, so don't quote me on it. Still, those are the requirements, max youth level, then chance

In FM22 I played on with my United FC team after I completed the challenge.

I did never get an invitation for my U23 team to join a league despite having youth level 1 in approx. 15 years.

3 minutes ago, fries said:

In FM22 I played on with my United FC team after I completed the challenge.

I did never get an invitation for my U23 team to join a league despite having youth level 1 in approx. 15 years.

Yeah, as I said, chance from then on. Never got to the PL in FM22, so I don't have any personal experience from then, but SI have said those are the ground rules for what teams enter. I expect it to be different in FM23. I mean, my U21s are in a league already with Marine, and I have youth level 4...

20 minutes ago, XaW said:

Yeah, as I said, chance from then on. Never got to the PL in FM22, so I don't have any personal experience from then, but SI have said those are the ground rules for what teams enter. I expect it to be different in FM23. I mean, my U21s are in a league already with Marine, and I have youth level 4...

Yes I agree. It was just to tell @Deicide and others that they could risk to wait many years before joining a league.

I expect it to be easier in FM23 too.

Attempt number.... god knows.. going back to the first attempt..

image.png.a459a0b038201119ad70816b2a2fa8ab.png

Realised I've made a few mistakes in past games, not really paying close attention to the HOYD preferences and getting tactics completely wrong - I always had counter turned on because I thought it had little downside and then watching games seeing my defence continually hit the balls up the pitch and losing possession. I probably should have thought that through a bit more! Seems a rookie mistake.

Edited by russ the womble

18 minutes ago, hubwub said:

We love to see it!

wCRO03l.png

0GvBXWb.png

6 DETERMINATION INCREASE!

Love those. I just got this:

SSvdc7e.png

His personality is now "Professional" when he used to be "Fairly Determined".

Spoiler

So he went from 1-14 professionalism to 18-20.  I love it! :D 

25 minutes ago, hubwub said:

Something funky is happening in my Argentina save. Almost all of the clubs have a negative balance and Club Atlético San Lorenzo de Almagro is in administration.

Sounds like Belgium :) 

4 minutes ago, hubwub said:

I honestly think it's another Belgium situation.

I'm tempted to spin another save of just Argentina to see how many clubs go into administration.

When you think about it they are similar situations. You have a lower-monetized domestic league for a nation that produces top-tier players so that a larger percentage of income comes from selling developing talent. I get the feeling SI tweaked the finances this year to get more of that experience and just went a little overboard / didn't properly adjust the AI decision-making to compensate. 

Because we limit our acquisition of young talent we break the balance they were probably shooting for where if you play in these countries you need to really utilized their re-vamped scouting to constantly be bringing in new young high potential players to flip them for profit.

2 hours ago, XaW said:

Love those. I just got this:

SSvdc7e.png

His personality is now "Professional" when he used to be "Fairly Determined".

Hide contents

So he went from 1-14 professionalism to 18-20.  I love it! :D 

I always thought that the "original" range couldn't be changed! That even with proper mentoring he wouldn't be able to go past 14, nice to know! 

3 minutes ago, Daddy said:

EqXGwdx.png

2029/30 Season Review:

1Gt3n3v.jpg

CMEuCiB.png

C1oI9ih.png

We kinda snuck through there, but a win is a win and we're going back up. Some tactics adjustments from the previous season and one or two more adjustments wound up sticking. We weren't defensively stout as last time in the Challenge League, but our defense core has kinda been decimated the last two seasons. The big thing was a striker from the class of 27 stepped in and knocked in 27 goals in 25 appearances. Knowing my luck with this save I won't keep him much longer.

ZzJOZLe.png

Q33OptY.png

The release clauses are killing me. Especially when their value instantly doubles or more and then they never play for the team they went to. I lost three starters last season and a top prospect. I can't get the contracts without these super low release clauses. If I was able to keep these players I think we'd be a stacked team. 

Youth Intake:

b7hOHrd.png

jhYyvzE.png

Not much was predicted and not much was received. A & C are positions we're thin at so I'm certainly not complaining they're our two best players. However all the players worth signing were unambitious or temperamental. I fired the HYOD. 

JVtZHFw.pngHGIZbkm.pngYreI1zO.png

With our return to the Super League I decided to get a new sponsor. I entertained myself with an "I Think You Should Leave" reference, but decided I wanted to find something local to Rapperswil-Jona. I tried to see if there were any businesses or something that stood out from there. While I didn't see anything local to the city I did see the Swisstainable logo on their tourism site (the city looks gorgeous by the way - if I ever make it to Europe I absolutely want to visit this town). I'm always a fain of trying to make things more sustainable for the planet and looking into this I felt it was a cool logo to use and I suppose give free promotion to lol (https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/planning/about-switzerland/sustainability/).

GS6vwKm.png

IF909Os.png

LO5yePI.png

Overall this is now the tightest the roster has been. 39 overall players and only 3 legacy players left (starting and emergency keeper and a Winger that's barely holding on to a starting spot). I went through a lot of cutting players with lower potential and also keep losing some good players due to release clauses. I don't think we're as good as the team that got relegated two seasons ago. The only difference, and what might help us, is the offense is better. Our defense is significantly worse though. We lost Centerbacks, Wingbacks, and midfielders. The offensive players took steps forward beating up on the 2nd league, but the defensive players did not develop much and the ones that did were taken. I worry this could get ugly fast, but I'm just aiming for 10th place. 10th place is $2.36M. 11th & 12th is $0.

Nice one with the promotion and loving the 3rd kit (reminds me of the rangers 96/97 (one of my all-time favourites as it’s synonymous with Laudrup,  Gascoigne and Jorg Albertz)

image.jpeg.1619bb71f35d9750205bd3a25a402de6.jpeg

I think when you start to have fewer of the legacy players it definitely improves your squad cohesion, I remember my decision to let my record appearance striker `9who was scoring well) go leave the club because I had a 16 year old who was banging in the goals for fun, never looked back.

7 minutes ago, Neo_Geo said:

Nice one with the promotion and loving the 3rd kit (reminds me of the rangers 96/97 (one of my all-time favourites as it’s synonymous with Laudrup,  Gascoigne and Jorg Albertz)

image.jpeg.1619bb71f35d9750205bd3a25a402de6.jpeg

I think when you start to have fewer of the legacy players it definitely improves your squad cohesion, I remember my decision to let my record appearance striker `9who was scoring well) go leave the club because I had a 16 year old who was banging in the goals for fun, never looked back.

It's always cool to see where they got some of these designs from. It's clearly an homage to that kit. I wish I had any artistic ability because I would love to design my own or other inspirations (Like the Las Vegas Lights Organ Donor kits (https://www.footballkitarchive.com/las-vegas-lights-fc-2022-special-kit/)

Hello all, 

I know the rules stat no transfers or loans in, but I have a question (sort of preempting the danger of a change of board/owner).. If they bring a culture to "to buy young players for profit or first team" or even "buy first team players".   Are you allowed to buy players, never play them and then sell them on a year later? 

Just wondering, as I'm worried that if a new board/owner comes in and make this a fundamental objective for you to achieve it could result in a premature ending if you don't do it....

Interested to know the thoughts of everyone! 

My instinct is that its against the rules. As the rules state, no transfers at all - but wanted to check!

1 hour ago, Cultured Left Foot said:

Hello all, 

I know the rules stat no transfers or loans in, but I have a question (sort of preempting the danger of a change of board/owner).. If they bring a culture to "to buy young players for profit or first team" or even "buy first team players".   Are you allowed to buy players, never play them and then sell them on a year later? 

Just wondering, as I'm worried that if a new board/owner comes in and make this a fundamental objective for you to achieve it could result in a premature ending if you don't do it....

My instinct is that its against the rules. As the rules state, no transfers at all - but wanted to check!

I just ignore it and try to negotiate it out every time. 

3 hours ago, Cultured Left Foot said:

Hello all, 

Yeah, it's against the rules to actually buy players, so yes, it's against the rules. If the board has that culture, just ignore it and hope it goes away. The only exception to the "no transfers or loans for any reasons" are if you have a takeover and the new owner buy players without your involvement. If that happens, take screenshots to prove it, then dump the players to the reserves and never play them while trying to sell or release them asap. Also they can never be part of any mentoring groups, they are to be treated as though they don't exists.

10 hours ago, Neo_Geo said:

(reminds me of the rangers 96/97 (one of my all-time favourites as it’s synonymous with Laudrup,  Gascoigne and Jorg Albertz)

That takes me back to CM2.  Rangers were incredible back then.

image.png.610e8c9ba252a4f5df90073b31ea4dfe.png