The FM23 Youth Academy Challenge

48 minutes ago, The7Striker said:

I reported to SI and they said it was a rule change. :(

I think Eredivisie teams from Holland didn't agree about the future promotion from third tier to second tier and that is why it is canceled (at the moment). @flyd can probably confirm/explain this ?

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Daddy said:

GMShR6E.png

VuAUZFT.png

jdUDeDV.png

3xu1eLR.png

IzAjidv.png

OK I'm pretty sure I've never tried Serbia before. Fairly decent facilities to start off made this an appealing club. 

2taKILF.pngkYUD19K.png

From what I saw this is fairly close for the primary kit, including the main sponsor and no sleeve sponsor. I didn't really see a set second kit and the game has it as a primary white so I want to stick with that so I don't wind up where the game thinks it's a white kit and it's two teams in blue running around. I added black as a third color just to give something else instead of just blue and white. 

nxAPdXs.png

7xRhgaL.png

Not a ton is expected, the team has a fairly solid squad, but only one keeper. If the keeper gets a long term injury it'll be quite problematic. As with any first season I have no clue what to expect.

Good luck with OFK Beograd, I've got some very fond memories of the club. Allow me to give you a badge that doesn't have the white background for you.

234565221_OFKBeogradLogo.png.a5d74bf163a1a4a455761f4200cf8a93.png

6 minutes ago, JLAB said:

Good luck with OFK Beograd, I've got some very fond memories of the club. Allow me to give you a badge that doesn't have the white background for you.

234565221_OFKBeogradLogo.png.a5d74bf163a1a4a455761f4200cf8a93.png

Thank you! I never think to remove the background for the badge.

4 hours ago, The7Striker said:

So promotions and relegation in the 2nd tier of the dutch league are suspended for for 5 seasons. :(

Good job I completed the challenge in Holland in FM 22 then :lol:

if it’s 5 seasons then that’s a bit of a simulation before you can get going.

wG8IqCV.png

2023/24 Midseason Review:

WUkmUsp.png

So much local sports this weekend to watch so I'm playing a ton. I've been wanting to try a completely different formation and this team actually looked suited to try Wide Centerbacks. Preseason, great. First two matches, great. Next five, nope. 433 and things take off. The schedule picked up and I was basically getting messages after each match that half the team was jaded, but I needed them as backups so while I didn't start they still had to play most of the time. Form dropped as we reached the winter break losing four of the last seven (one was a cup match). All by one goal so I'm pretty optimistic coming out of the break we get things going again.

After 30 matches the league splits in two groups of 8. Each team plays each other once. In the Top group the top two teams are promoted and 3rd and 4th face 5 & 6 from the upper division's group B for their spots. Group B has the bottom two automatically relegated and 5 & 6 playing for their spots. After explaining all that I am hopeful we finish in Group A and in the top 4. 

Intake Preview:

IqlxVya.png

We need depth at Keeper and Centerback. Glad to see them listed as A & B

The Netherlands have no relegation, at least in the beta, from the second tier.  I holidayed for over a decade without any relegation.

So if you want The Netherlands, it would be the same as other nations.  Holiday for a season and take over the club that finished bottom.

16 hours ago, WhiteCat33 said:

@Ray46 i also enjoy how the limitation actually makes you think about who the 'best worst option' is during these early seasons. I've had the same CD dilemma at Guiseley with this season being the first (and last for a while) where I've had two players who'd actually choose to play at cb.

I played almost entirely youth only last cycle, and this thread is a big contributor. Great niche community 👏 

The thread is awesome for sure. Every save is a story in FM, making the save as hard as this one adds even more drama.

1 hour ago, DazRTaylor said:

The Netherlands have no relegation, at least in the beta, from the second tier.  I holidayed for over a decade without any relegation.

So if you want The Netherlands, it would be the same as other nations.  Holiday for a season and take over the club that finished bottom.

Is that allowed in a nation like the Netherlands ?

7 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Surely it is the same rule for all nations and not cherry picking?

I can't remember when and what country, but i thought it was not allowed because of the level of that nation / competition. But it would be a really good solution if it was :)

53 minutes ago, OlivierL said:

I can't remember when and what country, but i thought it was not allowed because of the level of that nation / competition. But it would be a really good solution if it was :)

Would this make League of Ireland eligible too? I love a good LoI save.

1 hour ago, DazRTaylor said:

Surely it is the same rule for all nations and not cherry picking?

Pretty sure we don't allow countries that don't have relegation from the lowest tier. Ref the South Korea discussion earlier.

The only place we do allow is for extremely lower league custom files where it really doesn't matter if it's the lowest team in tier 7 or a newly promoted from tier 8 in Liechtenstein, and the like.

@darren1983, thoughts?

Just now, DazRTaylor said:

I really don't understand why it is so rigid and infelxible.

Someone could simply start a new thread allowing these scenarios and then we have numerous threads all doing the same thing.

Is that really what everyone wants?

Because the whole idea of the thread is to win the CL and top domestic division with a previously unplayable team. That's the key note of the challenge. So if the team that finished bottom is available, the whole idea of the challenge is no longer applicable. We have allowed it for extremely low tiers since it doesn't matter as no team that low is playable in the base game anyway, and the quality of the team is negligible. Sure, it may seem ridig at times, but the sole idea of the challenge has to be preserved, at least I think so. Darren has the final say as the runner of it though.

12 minutes ago, XaW said:

Because the whole idea of the thread is to win the CL and top domestic division with a previously unplayable team. That's the key note of the challenge. So if the team that finished bottom is available, the whole idea of the challenge is no longer applicable. We have allowed it for extremely low tiers since it doesn't matter as no team that low is playable in the base game anyway, and the quality of the team is negligible. Sure, it may seem ridig at times, but the sole idea of the challenge has to be preserved, at least I think so. Darren has the final say as the runner of it though.

Yeah this really, the challenge is to take a unplayable team to the top so leagues in the base game that don't have relegation aren't used, it's why we don't have the MLS for example. This challenge used to be only in Europe but we extended it to the rest of the world to offer some variety and difficultly levels but one the main rules we've kept is that relegation from the bottom tier is part of it.

If people want to start another thread they're free to do so.

@darren1983just want to thank you for this great thread. I have played FM since CM 97/98 days and only play FM this way now because of this thread.

Covid and lockdowns were not easy for alot of people but it did allow me to complete that epic 200 season challenge on FM20

Keep up the great work 

PS I am still playing but still after 10+ seasons I keep getting sacked between seasons 1 and 3 :rolleyes:

42 minutes ago, libbyshuss said:

I hope @Braumiller doesn't mind too much but I've shamelessly stolen their idea! I loved that infographic idea!

24infographic1.thumb.JPG.f4b41b49d8966cacb2266e535da2fa81.JPG

That's cool and I too have shamelessly stolen @Braumiller's idea.  Mine doesn't look that good at the moment but I will try to tidy it up before my next update.

Spoiler

are you highest and average attendances the wrong way round?

17 minutes ago, The7Striker said:

Did anyone noticed clubs with, lets say 6k stadium capacity and once promoted to playable leagues, change to a lower capacity one, like around 500 ? :confused:

This also happens in my save in France. 3 out of 4 teams that got promoted went to a smaller stadium than they original had. Seems very odd to me.

@libbyshuss & @JAwtunes that's awesome, I will in turn start stealing back ideas to use :)

I am currently using the free feature at www.snappa.com - there are a lot of infographic creator tools online, but they all have subscription models.  It is a case of finding one that has the minimum of what I want in their free model.

There is more I want to do, but a combination of time and finding one that works hasn't lined up yet

Sporting_Club_Toulon_logo.png.957ac2fc641be9dd41fa7462fdfe2f52.png

SC Toulon - National - Season 2023-2024

Predicted: 16th

Final position: 7th

We started the season badly, with only 2 wins in our first 8 games. This left us in the relegation spots, and with 6 relegation spots this season, I thought we would have a very difficult season, but suddenly we played some very good football and we were on a run of  8 games without a defeat and we were a mid-table team. We stayed there until 3/4 of the season. The teams above us began to lose "easy" games, and before we knew we had a small chance to get promoted. This didn't happen, but we had a very good 1th season. When we wouldn't had such a terrible start of the season we would have every chance of getting promoted. Maybe we have another chance next season, but with 10 players older than 30, I'm afraid they will decline very fast, and we don't have good enough youngsters to replace them right away.

Games 1

Games 2

Cup: we were eliminated by a second division team in the 7th round.

Transfers: None

Youth intake: we had a good preview, but the intake itself was a bit underwelming. All tagged players were signed. The good new is that they max wanted €45/week. What a difference with Belgium. ;)

Felipe Ferreira (YP1a): MC

Nathan Matando (YP1b): AMR

Thomas Puech (YP1c): AML

Finances: We made a profit! What a difference again with my save in Belgium. Due to this profit I could upgrade the junior coaching and youth facilities after the season.

Edited by Bartrcm
Added upgrade youth facilities

45 minutes ago, The7Striker said:

Did anyone noticed clubs with, lets say 6k stadium capacity and once promoted to playable leagues, change to a lower capacity one, like around 500 ? :confused:

yes, happened to me with boulogne in France. Very annoying. 

21 minutes ago, Braumiller said:

It is a case of finding one that has the minimum of what I want in their free model.

i used the one at https://www.visme.co/make-infographics/ which is pretty good. I've only just started playing about with it as well, there's loads more in the free version. It was pretty easy to use as well, which was the main thing I was looking for!

1 hora atrás, Bartrcm disse:

This also happens in my save in France. 3 out of 4 teams that got promoted went to a smaller stadium than they original had. Seems very odd to me.

@libbyshussThanks for your info too. I see this is a thing in the French league.

Got Sete promoted and they moved into a 400 stadium. The wierd is that finances doesnt show up the cost of it. And the old stadium was in an average status.

So I guess its time for a report so they can look around I guess.

Edited by The7Striker

On 27/10/2022 at 10:33, Sn00gle said:

For those who are considering playing in Poland and like a lot of RP and lore, I have prepared a list of several teams that can advance and you can go on! :)

Motor Lublin - A club with a millionaire mr. Jakubas, who is really pumping a lot of cash into the club's development. The money has allowed them to bring in some good players who can confidently compete higher. Start IRL hopeless red lantern, which recently emerged from the relegation zone thanks to a new coach.

Polonia Warszawa - With a French millionaire leading them after they went bankrupt and were relegated to the depths of Polish football. Being at the bottom, they have invested heavily in the academy which has been very successful and bigger clubs are stealing heavily from them. Currently 2nd place in the 2nd division. It's worth adding that they are a direct rival of Legia Warsaw so by playing them you have potentially one of the biggest derby's in the country. 2nd league newcomer.

KKS 1925 Kalisz - A very nicely developing football project that puts a premium on balance in the club. They recruit nicely especially the coaching staff (basically openly which is rather unheard of in Poland). They try to catch local outstanding young players.

Znicz Pruszków - I mention it only because this is where Robert Lewandowski started his adventure as a professional footballer. A club from near the capital of Warsaw. Thanks to this it has a good chance of generating good newgens from all the teams that can advance in Poland. 

Kotwica Kołobrzeg - The current revelation of 2-league games in Poland. They broke this year's record of consecutive wins and matches without defeat which puts them in the position of league leader. It's worth mentioning that they are also this year's newcomer. Despite this, they are not from the poorer clubs and are said to have large financial resources. I would say that they are such a club made of unwanted players who, properly guided, fired up. It has good training facilities.

Radunia Stężyca - If memory serves me correctly this is the club with the best training facilities available in the previous FM. This gives you a big advantage and ease in this challenge :)

Siarka Tarnobrzeg - A club worth mentioning. It is a very big pioneer of scouting development in Poland when it was still in the lower league. They put a lot just on its development which results in the sale of young players higher up and on a regular basis. It is worth noting that Mr. Dryś is the youngest head of scouting in Poland who is 18 years old... soo why not :)

Very nice write up. I was already thinking of doing some kind of save with Polonia when I realized that they had made it back up to the II liga.

1 hour ago, Bartrcm said:

Sporting_Club_Toulon_logo.png.957ac2fc641be9dd41fa7462fdfe2f52.png

SC Toulon - National - Season 2023-2024

Predicted: 16th

Final position: 7th

We started the season badly, with only 2 wins in our first 8 games. This left us in the relegation spots, and with 6 relegation spots this season, I thought we would have a very difficult season, but suddenly we played some very good football and we were on a run of  8 games without a defeat and we were a mid-table team. We stayed there until 3/4 of the season. The teams above us began to lose "easy" games, and before we knew we had a small chance to get promoted. This didn't happen, but we had a very good 1th season. When we wouldn't had such a terrible start of the season we would have every chance of getting promoted. Maybe we have another chance next season, but with 10 players older than 30, I'm afraid they will decline very fast, and we don't have good enough youngsters to replace them right away.

Games 1

Games 2

Cup: we were eliminated by a second division team in the 7th round.

Transfers: None

Youth intake: we had a good preview, but the intake itself was a bit underwelming. All tagged players were signed. The good new is that they max wanted €45/week. What a difference with Belgium. ;)

Felipe Ferreira (YP1a): MC

Nathan Matando (YP1b): AMR

Thomas Puech (YP1c): AML

Finances: We made a profit! What a difference again with my save in Belgium. Due to this profit I could upgrade the junior coaching and youth facilities after the season.

Nice work!

What does the YP1a, YP1b, mean? Is that something you add as a nickname?

1 minute ago, DomD said:

Nice work!

What does the YP1a, YP1b, mean? Is that something you add as a nickname?

It's a nickname to track your Youth Player / Product from your Youth Intake. In @Bartrcm, it's the first youth intake since they took over the club.

Everybody has different nickname conventions for tracking their youth intake.

21 minutes ago, hubwub said:

It's a nickname to track your Youth Player / Product from your Youth Intake. In @Bartrcm, it's the first youth intake since they took over the club.

Everybody has different nickname conventions for tracking their youth intake.

Completely correct. :)

3 minutos atrás, Tommo_ disse:

What sort of database are you guys running for this type of save?

I only load the league Im in, in large DB. Then I add all the players from that country and internationals players from Europe.

Edited by The7Striker

6 minutes ago, Tommo_ said:

What sort of database are you guys running for this type of save?

I load lots but you don't need to for this type of save.  The main reasons I do is because non-playable teams wont rehire staff (so when a manager is sacked they will remain managerless) and adding playable leagues makes transfer flows more realistic, which is a must for me for the nation I'm in.

Transfer preferences can be seen on transfermarkt.com

Spoiler

some examples

Wales

image.png.0ee2b559b605812292d98f6b56707d31.png

Estonia

image.thumb.png.e4df9b7929da4ff11ab70bb062bca96d.png

N Macedonia

image.thumb.png.0bb59f5bf8be5337b82a4509981c6b33.png

Thanks guys, I was wondering about transfers if you only have the league you're managing in loaded.

I'd expect to have bigger clubs trying to poach our best academy players plus others in the league. In previous saves only having one nation loaded meant the biggest team would sign the best domestic talent, such as Rosenberg, who had regular UCL, signed the best youngsters. 

It would make the save more realistic but more difficult if players were getting interest from big five leagues for example. 

26 minutes ago, Tommo_ said:

Thanks guys, I was wondering about transfers if you only have the league you're managing in loaded.

I'd expect to have bigger clubs trying to poach our best academy players plus others in the league. In previous saves only having one nation loaded meant the biggest team would sign the best domestic talent, such as Rosenberg, who had regular UCL, signed the best youngsters. 

It would make the save more realistic but more difficult if players were getting interest from big five leagues for example. 

There is a really good thread about how to set up a realistic save on the general forum. It's always a trade off between speed and realism/size, but generally (for euro) good to have top 5 playable, several view only and neighbouring countries of the league you're in as playable. Happy to share my approach and rationale if that would help you? Its not particularly clever, i basically just use uefa rankings and size of transfers for different nations (weighted) to decide what to pick.