The FM23 Youth Academy Challenge

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, darren1983 said:

Ah man this is brilliant, thank you. Only trouble is it's got me thinking of restarting in Poland for somewhere new. This is kind of thing I was thinking about the other day when I was wondering about clubs to manage. Polonia sounds like a lot of fun. Tempting despite me actually enjoying my start at FC United. 

Happy to help :)

In my experience with fm22, Poland is quite a specific country when it comes to foreign newgen. You have to be prepared that in a club such one will appear once every 2-3 seasons. Juniors from foreign subsidiary clubs start coming only after a good performance in European cups where you have to get to the group stage at least once. I know that many here uniform nationalities get in the way of having fun. Here in Poland there won't be much of that for sure, but if you hit it and with a good PA it will be a gem in your eye :)

When it comes down to it, it seems to me that Polonia probably has the biggest reputation of the teams mentioned, next to Znicz Pruszków. So here it seems to me the strongest candidates for a good start are definitely Polonia, Motor from this angle. If you care about good facilities from the start then Kotwica and Radunia. Znicz is for people who want a chance to have good juniors from the beginning their good base potential from this angle is very important. 

Going back to the experience Polonia always in my savs tries to attract players with French roots sometimes even generate such for sure it is an interesting feature for Polish conditions. Siarka, on the other hand, always had some strange juniors from Guinea or Swaziland I don't know where they get them from :D

20221027182348_1.jpg.883c411be0bfd716456da776f54e01c8.jpg

20221027182406_1.thumb.jpg.f80453a944f950d215855b77e336db89.jpg

Italy seems to be near impossible to complete this challenge in but it's my favourite football country so I have to try it once again. This time with the mighty Grosseto who actually played a few seasons in serie B some years ago.

On 27/10/2022 at 12:02, the_hdk said:

same... :(  also no south korea despite in RL they introduced promotion/relegation to 3rd level.

maybe in next release they will add it?

If you haven't reported it as a bug, then please do so!

19 hours ago, nxthanael said:

Any way to get my U19s team in Sweden to start playing games? I'm in S3 of the challenge and they haven't played a game. Feel like it'll end up harming their development making the challenge even harder

SI said in the tidbits blog that all youth teams can join leagues:

https://fmfc.footballmanager.com/blog/more-new-features-elevate-your-fm23-experience

A feature that many have been calling for on our forums, all user-controlled Under-18 and Under-23 teams can now receive invites to active youth leagues, even if those teams have been created after your save game began

7 hours ago, Bartrcm said:

I think we have a problem. Our wage bill is reduced by the board with 5k and we are now 9k above our budget. Due to this I can only give me youngsters from our first intake a new contract of €130 max. Problem is that they are now on €500 a week. Of course they don't want to sign a new contract. I hope that I can sign the new bunch of youngsters when they come through at the end of the season, but it seems that this challenge can end very soon. After 2.5 seasons I'm almost €6M in debt. :(

Yeah, I think my Belgium save is dying as well because of it. The board keeps slashing the budget and soon I'll be in the same debt... Think I'm going to restart somewhere else, but not sure where yet.

I have another question for the wisdom of this forum:

Why is it that I have had an upgrade to both youth recruitment and junior coaching, but one has gone from "average" to "adequate", and the other vice versa?

image.png.168ff86761596d4aa1dfa81323c4c2df.png 

image.png.fd768729aa1f4f9580f618caec633c0a.png

Edited by schnauzer

Sometimes this challenge just hits right.  Messing around with tactics and formations in the horrendously long Swedish preseason and needed a 2nd striker.  Plugged in a youth, he played well so I stuck with him.

First game of the season....

image.png.cfdaee70eff318fa0084fd0b4ec45dac.png

7 hours ago, Bartrcm said:

For me, Belgium is unplayable at the moment. It"s a pity because a lot of youngsters are developping very good.

And I thought it was bad last year, seems they made it even worse. 

39 minutes ago, Winski said:

That’s a nice list of clubs! 

50 minutes ago, JLAB said:

1000769982_YouthAcademyChallengeTeamIdeas.png.19e7d73fd0fe4c10432efb4ea8ec248e.png

So... should I scratch off Belgium from my list of locations to go?

I was going for Wacker Innsbruck, but they were relegated to the 4th tier.

KHMBBMO.png

2026/27 Midseason Review:

kbbaggc.png

Not going great. Which means the second half will catch fire and finish 11th. I have one player retiring and two older fringe players with ridiculous contract demands for what they give, so they've been transfer listed. One has already moved on. As a result I'm forcing the youth player issue a little more than planned. The big issues are underperforming our xG for goals by 4 and giving up a whopping 15 more than xG expected. I think I've talked myself here into not pulling out of this nose dive. Survival may be difficult.

Intake Preview:

H8yEDKx.png

Very promising. Just hoping for at least one player capable to stepping in and playing.

1 hour ago, JLAB said:

1000769982_YouthAcademyChallengeTeamIdeas.png.19e7d73fd0fe4c10432efb4ea8ec248e.png

So... should I scratch off Belgium from my list of locations to go?

Guiseily has been a great return to England for me, not sure how rare it is to get them promoted as I haven't noticed them showing up in anyone elses saves. 

Which one(s) are you leaning towards?

19 minutes ago, Bartrcm said:

Yes, in the end I was losing €225k/month

Thinking back on my RAAL save I did get first year promotion as well as the board would inject 1.5-3 M a season to keep the club out of bankruptcy till I could start monetizing youngsters. Eventually I just couldn't break into European spots as I had to keep selling everyone to balance the books. You all talk about ground maintenance at the start and IRC we had to add undersoil heating to our stadium which was the huge early expense. 

I really hope they address this instead of letting it persist for another cycle. 

20 minutes ago, WhiteCat33 said:

Guiseily has been a great return to England for me, not sure how rare it is to get them promoted as I haven't noticed them showing up in anyone elses saves. 

Which one(s) are you leaning towards?

That's the problem, I thought I knew before FM 23, but now I'm starting to wonder what country I want to do. It's probably between Slovakia, Poland, Israel, Turkey and Mexico. I did one half of the challenge in Serbia last year with OFK Beograd, I've finished 3rd in Serie A in FM 21, while I got to the Liga NOS in Portugal in FM 22. I'm starting to think I want to take a side from the lower coefficients and build them up from there, which could also be someone like Indonesia. 

10 minutes ago, JLAB said:

That's the problem, I thought I knew before FM 23, but now I'm starting to wonder what country I want to do. It's probably between Slovakia, Poland, Israel, Turkey and Mexico. I did one half of the challenge in Serbia last year with OFK Beograd, I've finished 3rd in Serie A in FM 21, while I got to the Liga NOS in Portugal in FM 22. I'm starting to think I want to take a side from the lower coefficients and build them up from there, which could also be someone like Indonesia. 

Indonesia is out there, would make for a very different experience! I tried isreal last cycle, but it didn't click for me. Slovenia was the big save for me with 2 Euro Cup titles, could see Slovakia as even better with more challenging domestic competition. 

I can already tell I'm going to take pauses from england once workshop databases come out. I forgot the true slog of 46 league games plus cups. Planning to try luxembourg 🇱🇺 for a micro nation. I visited for the first time last month as my girlfriend is getting dual citizenship there. Such pretty countryside. 

53 minutes ago, Reiver said:

YtNcoEx.png

Futebol Clube Barreirense is a classic Portuguese fallen on hard times. Founded all the way back in 1911 in Barreiro, an industrial town 6 km away from Lisbon (which is to mean, on the other side of the river). To this day, they are the 15th team with the most appearances at the top level in Portugal, having played in it for 24 years, their highest position ever being a 4th place in 1969/70, and they also reached the semi-finals of the Portuguese Cup 5 times, the last time in 1957/58. Considering they just got promoted from the 5th tier to the 4th tier, you can tell they're far far away from where they used to be.

772651_ori_campo_da_verderena.png

FC Barreiro play at the  Campo da Verderena, a small 2480 (1500 steated) stadium, where in real life the team has plans to build much modern stadium in the same area, which most likely is not on the game. We have average training facilities, below average youth facilities and average academy coaching and youth recruitment.  

I have yet to take a good look at the team, but with 2000-1 odds of going up, we're certainly not favourites. We play in Série D of the Campeonato de Portugal, with teams like Louletano and Moncaparachense are the clear favourites. In my next post, I will look at our current squad and staff.

I might have been too hasty posting this before playing through it - I don't know if it's a game bug or a database issue with the team's reputation, because every single player in my team, currently on an amateur contract, refuses to sign any contract that doesn't give them Star player status, regardless of their skill level. I might jump ship, cause sooner or later this will ruin my squad.

Edited by Reiver

9 minutos atrás, Reiver disse:

I might have been too hasty posting this before playing through it - I don't know if it's a game bug or a database issue with the team's reputation, because every single player in my team, currently on an amateur contract, refuses to sign any contract that doesn't give them Star player status, regardless of their skill level. I might jump ship, cause sooner or later this will ruin my squad.

Not a bug being on an amateur contracts, in fact some teams in the 4th tier uses amateur contracts irl.

The star player part, is strange if happens in every single player. After they sign, you can try change it in the squad view.

Yeah, the fact ah that everyone refuses any offer other than a star player (whether they're a 5 star or a 3 star player) I mean by maybe a bug, or maybe the result of the team not having a reputation level level with the league and players they have

42 minutes ago, Reiver said:

Hey I'm currently one game from the end of my first season in Portugal. I had the same issue with contracts except they all wanted first team player. Other than the obvious fact that they all want higher wages than I'd like to give them there was weirdly no issues with players complaining about not playing enough. Even the wingers that I didn't use all season(I'm playing wingbacks) haven't complained once. All of my youth candidates have agreed provisionally to pro contracts with normal terms so at least the problem doesn't extend to that. I'm gonna keep playing but I totally get if you wanted to restart.

Not going to post as what's the point. Season 3 and over for me. Form was shocking. Players were garbage.

Somehow managed to claw it back and with 3 games to go we were 2 clear of Peterborough Sports. 

We were playing Stourbridge who were champions. We were 2 up away from home with 13 to go. They scored 3 late goals including a 92nd minute winner. 

Next game we played Nuneaton. Peterborough Sports played Stourbridge who had a record of P: 25, W: 20, D:2 and lost 3. Peterborough of course won. The last 16 games of Stourbridge they'd lost 1. 

Final game of the season we lost 3-1 and Peterborough Sports lost 3-1 but relegated on GD.

3 hours ago, Braumiller said:

Sometimes this challenge just hits right.  Messing around with tactics and formations in the horrendously long Swedish preseason and needed a 2nd striker.  Plugged in a youth, he played well so I stuck with him.

First game of the season....

image.png.cfdaee70eff318fa0084fd0b4ec45dac.png

Sometimes this challenge teases you :D

The quoted above was his debut, scoring both in a come from behind 2-1 win on the first day of the season.  He has now gone 8 starts and 3 sub appearances without scoring again.....

11 minutes ago, CardiffDragon said:

So i did something i never normally do i changed tactics entirely mid season

Welcome to the new better AI, expect to do this every season. Adds another layer of difficulty to our challenge.

Well done surviving! Bummer on intake personalities, but at least they will fill out your roster and you never know one may surprise and not be totally useless 

Edited by WhiteCat33

38 minutes ago, andershs said:

Are you guys using an instant result skin? I am thinking that is necessary in order to do this challenge (before FM24 is out) :)

I don't. I am fortunate enough to work from home so I have less travel time, and a job that I can take a quick 5 here or there and advance a few days. I've found FM to be the perfect game to play while watching sports, so I'm basically able to play a lot. 

Aaaand sacked!

This is a good reminder, why not to start in Denmark. We were rubbish from start to end no matter the tactic; gegenpress, counter, wingplay, but to no avail.

Being Amateur does not help, and it was only after I was sacked, that I realised that three teams were relegated.

spacer.png

Edited by andershs