*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

6 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Where is the data view of the pitch where you can isolate the locations of specific player actions in a match (e.g. key passes, mistakes, shots) - Does this still exist?

Also, where is the view that shows the areas of the pitch where assists are coming from and the type of assists / goals (e.g. crosses, through balls)?

Cheers.

Enter a match screen

image.png.fadc3fce15cec92c385729f9ee037422.png

Then teams and passing option

image.thumb.png.39c8fdfc6bb8c063c194debf80c5a0a8.png

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, TheArsenal63 said:

Does anyone know what time the full release is on Tuesday? Is it midnight or evening?

As is always said- there are so many arrangements with different carriers that it is hard to give specific times and so SI will rarely give an exact time in advance.

4 hours ago, Obaaa said:

when some of the big Twitch/YT streamers are voicing some negative thoughts about the game it isn't great. Maybe full release will see some more positive remarks.

I would try the demo out myself.  I stream as well and while I have criticised the game for lacking headline features I have been very happy with the match engine. If there are specific challenges people are facing and issues they are having with certain styles of play I am more than happy to help. 

To be fair sometimes people put too much faith in content creators assuming they know the game inside out when there are others out there who are silently playing the game and having fun.

My advice to most people during the beta is always the same. Don’t import a tactic, start from ground zero. 

22 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Thanks. If you actually want to follow my 'progress', I've prepared a thread here:

Nessie Awakes!

Just followed, I love a lower league save although I generally go Eastern Europe. I’ve used the Flut skin forever as well so it’s nice to have that familiarity to the screen shots.

15 hours ago, akkm said:

Actually funnily I want to manage lower league teams but the purpose is to be an actual manager...u know...to be able to influence what they do on the pitch...coaching them to move better positionally around the pitch to receive the ball to break a press/pressure from opposition and have my players move into pockets of small space inside to work the ball up the pitch slowly to get into good positions higher up the pitch to create higher value chances and create openings.

At least I want them to try it...if they try and fail all that is on my management and coaching...which is how it should be.

I can try and address it with more time on the training pitch to work it out. 

I can try and address it by getting better technical players with good mental attributes 

I can try and address it with adjusting my tactics then if all that fails but tactically that's all on me as the football manager.

I shouldn't have to be subjected to old school views that non league football = hoofball/messy play. I watch plenty of non league football and many teams try more and more to play it out from the back and pass it around patiently and have done well this way.

Even say Salford in league 2 changed manager this year and passing completion rate has gone up from 68% the previous 2 seasons to 80%+ this season. So coaching on the training ground and philosophy has changed a lot in terms of how they play and how well they control matches.

This is what a manager can do at any level. The main issues with players a lower level would show up as they play teams from much higher levels but playing at same levels good play can and should unfold given the right philosophy and good coaching.

So currently in FM there are issues with balance too much favouring chaos/battling midfields and the quality possession game isn't being well simulated.

After all this game is football manager and a manager needs to be able to have his way of playing manifest itself on the pitch. Its success will depend mostly on the quality of the players at his disposal but quality possession football over the years has usually shown itself to be consistently the most successful...sure there will always be defensive teams/high work rate teams/pressing teams that will do well and win but the common theme throughout is good possession teams playing cohesively and creatively consistently do well. Of course they will have to marry that with good work rate and effort (especially in modern football which FM is trying to replicate and its clearly not a finger click) but that's the basic of football...pass and move is key to consistently doing well. Klopp/liverpool woes this year and before show its pep views of football that will win the war...just as it did over jose mourinhos view of football...and just as it will in 100 years time as well. 

FYI...I don't necessarily mean extreme tiki taka possession football either there re pep.

FM has to get this right first and foremost and then blend in the chaos factor on top...but key piece is good possession football. From that base everything can be built into it. Fingers crossed we get that on release this year.

FYI @phnompenhandyur post re you managing loch ness and your research and prep was awesome dude

You raise a good few points here. I've taken to watching a lot of North Caley and lower highlights on YouTube, and it amazes me how closely it approximates to LL football on FM, and far more so with FM23 than incarnations from a few years ago. This 'new feature' that people are raving about - 'chaos' is how football has always been in LL. I love seeing passing moves breaking down with wayward, undercooked or overcooked passes; I don't want to see tiki-take at my level.

But a key point us LLaMas have to take into account is that however limited our players are, the league opposition is similar. So your striker with Finishing of 4 might still score loads against weak defences; your CDs with pace of 5 might also perform well against poor strikers. The "problem" I find is that it's too easy to substantially strengthen your squad compare to the AI league rivals, hence those Journeyman saves I watch on YouTube soon become boring with promotions every season. That's why I've set myself the rule of no recruiting.

Training - in the lower leagues where you have zero facilities, equipment or coaching skills, and you have 4 training slots a week, it ought to be the case that training has very little effect on players (I see Salford, a full-time professional club as higher than LL - perhaps I should clarify my style as LOWEST League Management!). I try to recreate the limitations by having only 4 training programmes that I drill each and every week. They are General/Attacking, General/Defending, Physical/Re...[forget] and Match Prep. But the key, really, is to have a very tight squad such that everyone gets lots of gametime. That's a huge risk - injuries and desertions mean as the season goes on you're filling square-shaped gaps with round pegs, but again, I see that as realism.

tl;dr I think the general point I'm trying to make is that I can't comment on how the ME plays out with higher-level clubs which expect technical precision, but at the lowest levels you can be forgiving of ME limitations as your internal narrative requires loads of mistakes from your players. Having said that, the ME would be a huge problem if aspects were overpowered such as too many goals from short corners, or amateur fatties and 15-year-olds being able to gegenpress for 90 minutes throughout a season. Again, if there are exploits like that, I'd limit myself to not using them.

16 hours ago, Volband said:

What do you guys actually want from interviews to change? I always see complaints about it, so I am very interested in what would you actually propose, because they are pretty boring in real life as well. 

I got 4 injuries back to back.

First choice striker out for 2 months. Second choice striker out for 5 weeks. Third choice striker out for 7 weeks. Random youth CM ive never played out for 2 months.

The only question i got asked about any of it was when i expected the random youth player to be back, not even a question about how i intended to move forward without any of my strikers.

I still regularly get asked about loanees playing about 8 levels below me too, asking if theyd be improving my fortunes. Like, no, hes a 18yo kid playing against postmen, stop asking me if he'd help in the top flight.

9 hours ago, janrzm said:

100% Agree with the notion that you should always make your own mind up and what breaks the game for one person might be practically invisible to another.

I also think we should acknowledge that when most individuals express a negative opinion on the game it isn’t necessarily to influence others, it’s to make a point to the developer in one of the few ways they can.

I would, but as my former posts shows, on Steam 85% of reviewers have have a positive response. So I would say "most individuals" express a positive opinion, rather than negative. Just because those with the biggest reach are negative does not mean they represent the majority. However, they are often able to influence a number of users, but they also get more clicks by giving negative reviews. I'm not talking FM only here, but the internet as a whole. There are many more "internet personalities" that give negative views rather than positive, simply because it gives more clicks (and therefore money).

That's not to say that some of the criticism isn't valid, of course it is and the game has a lot more potential to grow, even if there are probably as many different views as to what should change, as there are posters here. Sure, look around what others say, but if you try the demo and like it, I see no reason to take the opinion of others over you own preference. I would say the same for the other way around as well, if everyone praises something that doesn't mean you must like it! :) 

4 minutes ago, XaW said:

I would, but as my former posts shows, on Steam 85% of reviewers have have a positive response. So I would say "most individuals" express a positive opinion, rather than negative. Just because those with the biggest reach are negative does not mean they represent the majority. However, they are often able to influence a number of users, but they also get more clicks by giving negative reviews. I'm not talking FM only here, but the internet as a whole. There are many more "internet personalities" that give negative views rather than positive, simply because it gives more clicks (and therefore money).

That's not to say that some of the criticism isn't valid, of course it is and the game has a lot more potential to grow, even if there are probably as many different views as to what should change, as there are posters here. Sure, look around what others say, but if you try the demo and like it, I see no reason to take the opinion of others over you own preference. I would say the same for the other way around as well, if everyone praises something that doesn't mean you must like it! :) 

I perhaps didn’t word that as clearly as I should have. I meant the majority of people that express a negative opinion do so to express their views to the developer not to influence others. 👍

Edited by janrzm

15 minutes ago, janrzm said:

I perhaps didn’t word that as clearly as I should have. I meant the majority of people that express a negative opinion do so to express their views to the developer not to influence others. 👍

Yeah, that's totally fair. And that is something that is welcome, just as long as remember to do it in a civil and constructive matter. I mean, I did a little thing on the squad planner yesterday which I think was quite critical and with clear examples of what I think is lacking, but in a constructive matter. And I encourage everyone to do the same for both good and bad!

8 minutes ago, jlammi said:

Hi! I bought 4 terabytes extrernal harddrive to my laptop, Now i want to move FM graphics to it how to do it?

I honestly don't know if that is a good idea because you will always have to plug it in whenever you want to play and you can have issues with cables etc. I don't know what laptop you've got but isn't it better to get an internal SATA ssd.

To answer your question I don't think you can only move the graphics folder, you will have to move everything in the document folder including you save games etc. once that is done you have to go to steam click on the game then right click and click on properties and in lunch option copy this --user_data_location="path". replace path with the location where you copied the files

5 minutes ago, DarJ said:

I honestly don't know if that is a good idea because you will always have to plug it in whenever you want to play and you can have issues with cables etc. I don't know what laptop you've got but isn't it better to get an internal SATA ssd.

Maybe I am wrong, but you would only need to connect it if you reload the cache or want to update the pictures or something, isn't it?

В 05.11.2022 в 10:24, BamBamBam сказал:

They are getting fired up because they love the game. And they want to pay the £35 to own it, but if the changes are pretty bad and the game actually hasn't improved, they have a right to be disappointed. SI want people like you just to blindly pay the money every year.

We definitely need a petition to stop Neil Brock from forcing members of the forum to buy a new version every November

22 minutes ago, el_manayer said:

Maybe I am wrong, but you would only need to connect it if you reload the cache or want to update the pictures or something, isn't it?

probably but I'm not still sure you can move only the graphic folder

13 hours ago, XaW said:

Yeah, I always tell people who ask to try it themselves, rather than listen to others. What issue they have might not affect you at all. Also, I tend to take big names with a pinch of salt in general, as they often care more about clicks rather than actual content, unfortunately. Not that I know who you are referring to here, so it might not be relevant, I just think it's often better to decide for myself rather than let others influence me. Heck, I had fun with No Man's Sky at launch even if it was far from what was promised, so I didn't hang onto the social media frenzy regarding games back then either! :D

The demo is the full game, it's just limited to 6 month of in-game time, so it should give you enough time to evaluate.

You really think this?

You think Doctor Benjy and Zealand are more interested in clicks than the game they have played and invested their time for years in?

They probably have the best knowledge of the game if anything.

1 minute ago, BamBamBam said:

You really think this?

You think Doctor Benjy and Zealand are more interested in clicks than the game they have played and invested their time for years in?

I dunno... Have you watched some of these YouTubers play on stream? The games themselves seem like an afterthought 

6 minutes ago, d d said:

The forums seems quite, the day before release day. You had loads last year telling Miles to press the button for release.

Seems quite this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's out this evening.

1 minute ago, BamBamBam said:

You really think this?

You're surprised that a YouTuber who can financially benefit from more eyes on their content might care more about attracting said eyes to the content?  They probably do care about the game, but only because if the interest in it dries up, so does a source of income.

XaW is absolutely correct.  It doesn't matter if someone knows the game inside and out, or not at all, their opinion will still not matter anywhere near as much as your own.  

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, d d said:

The forums seems quite, the day before release day. You had loads last year telling Miles to press the button for release.

Seems quite this year.

Actually looking at Google Analytics the forums have been far busier this year than last year. 

Just now, andu1 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's out this evening.

Lollujo is certainly betting on that. Yesterday, finished his Chelsea beta save and stated a timetable of Non-League to Legend preview today and start 4pm tomorrow.  Gonna make a mess of things for him if the release isn't tonight/tomorrow AM :)

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

They definitely don't have the best knowledge tbh. If you're taking streamers with the best knowledge that's Rashidi and it's not even remotely close when it comes to getting near him on the streamer side (I don't think Cleon streams but they would be close)

The same twitch streamer that was invited up to SI games?

Been playing the game for years?

Some people just don't wanna hear the criticism obviously.

10 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

They definitely don't have the best knowledge tbh. If you're taking streamers with the best knowledge that's Rashidi and it's not even remotely close when it comes to getting near him on the streamer side (I don't think Cleon streams but they would be close)

So true

13 minutes ago, BamBamBam said:

The same twitch streamer that was invited up to SI games?

Been playing the game for years?

Some people just don't wanna hear the criticism obviously.

Most streamers get invited. Including the two you've mentioned.  Also irrelevant to the point that Rashidi knows more about the game than any other streamer by a mile. 

6 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Is Rashidi Bustthenet? If so I watched some of his Beta streams and he certainly seems to have a better understanding of the game than some of the bigger names. 

He should do more goofy faces in his thumbnails and he'll double his views.

The very same. Bigger views doesn't always correlate to best knowledge. Some of the most knowledgeable people don't even stream at all. 

• Administrators

There's knowledge everywhere to be fair. Some brilliant smaller known streamers and some of the well-known names are great as well.

Likewise loads of fantastic posters on these forums, our The Byline series and across a number of FM sites. Plus not to mention the amount of knowledge both within the studio and via our moderating team.

Some of us from within the studio crop up on the odd podcast externally as well, so the info is all over the place really. 

OK, I'll back you lot up on this, being a successful You Tube Streamer does not mean you are the most knowledgeable about the game, but more your ability to self-promote the channel and content is greater than the competition.

There will be You Tubers out there right now with more knowledge than the forum boards combined, but you won't watch them because their ability to present their content verges on being boring. Shame, but that's just the way things are.

Edited by Cobblers

4 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

There's knowledge everywhere to be fair. Some brilliant smaller known streamers and some of the well-known names are great as well.

Likewise loads of fantastic posters on these forums, our The Byline series and across a number of FM sites. Plus not to mention the amount of knowledge both within the studio and via our moderating team.

Some of us from within the studio crop up on the odd podcast externally as well, so the info is all over the place really. 

Cj popping up on the football manager show is brilliant. It would be great if there was more insiders out there posting nuggets of how things work too.

1 minute ago, Choi seung won said:

Will there be a match engine fix in the official release update?

There will be updates to the beta ME, of which some fixes will be in there.

But due to it being the full release they don't tend to post any ''patch'' notes as it's not an update. It's the first of the full version, rather than an updated beta. If that makes sense.

So yes, the ME and various other bits will be ''updated and fixed'' compared to the beta.