*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

vor einer Stunde schrieb Dagenham_Dave:

You don't need to do that. Do it the other way around. They way I use it is I add everyone from my first team to my U-18s at the start of the game for each position. Then I go back to each position, and delete any that I don't think are of use in that position, whilst  adding any key shortlisted players.

Is there an option to add all players or are you seriously adding every player at the club via the 4 clicks I mentioned above?
Don't get me wrong, I want to like the feature, I like that I can set up a scouting focus. I just don't know why they changed the way how you add players. For now, I will resort to my Excel list.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, XaW said:

Posted this in another thread here, but since it's feedback it should also be here, I think:

I think the idea of the squad planner is excellent, but I also think it needs to be improved. It's not user friendly enough, nor is it functionally capable for my uses at least. A few of the things I'd like see improved include

• Custom columns
  • Option to right click ANY player to put them into the planner from just about anywhere you can click a player
  • The little (i) that is everywhere else to get a popup of the basic info and attributes of the player
  • Very improved "ask assistant" logic, preferably with option to "auto show contracts as extended" either for all or tick off players as such, and a bunch of other options along those lines. It annoys me that I know I plan on extending contracts (but the board don't allow more than 2 year deals), and I have to add the players inn every time
  • Do something with positions where you have two different roles, like MC or DC. I hate having to remove a player from one since they are clearly only used in one role. Not 100% sure how that would work though. It's just something I find annoying.
  • Fix some of the bugs where things reset and you lose your plan
  • Have undo-buttons back to when you entered the screen.
  • Would like the idea to save a plan, and then have others to toy around with without destroying the current plan. Some form of "store plan", and a button for "revert to stored plan", or something along those lines.
  • I'd like feedback from the staff in regards to how the plan looks (with toggle on/off) after you "lock in" the plan for the next season or transfer window. "We have few midfielders, or "the current plan has few up and coming strikers", or "all the central defenders in our plan are quite slow and the tactic has a high defensive line, this is something that could cause us trouble", or something along those lines of pointing out flaws in the plan.

Anyway, my point is that I really like the thought of having a place to plan out the next few seasons, but as it is, it's too hard to use and give too little feedback. I use a spreadsheet for a few of these things, but with an improved planner I can see myself retiring it some time in the future.

• Also show the last season and the season before so that we can track development/ decline of players.
  • Instead of completely removing end of contact/transfer out players from the planner list, show them as a dim red unavailable style entity (of course users should be able to hide that if they want).
  • Similarly show future transfer in dim-green style entity.
Edited by dℍaisa

1 hour ago, rdbayly said:

The staff responsibilities screen is a living nightmare. Why do I have to click on every single one (twice) to take charge of stuff like hiring staff for youth teams? Is there a 'take control of all' button I'm missing?

You mean like the one over there on the right-hand side?

image.thumb.png.92d44051c1ed60f7422f606ff84b94cd.png

4 hours ago, wicksyFM said:

Just got promoted from 3.Liga to 2.Bundesliga playing attacking possession football. Nothing but praise from fans. They loved it. All of a sudden, when we get promoted fan culture wants me to play direct and defensive. 🤷‍♂️

Because they want you to stay up?

10 hours ago, anagain said:

I can stop the timer and advance the draw to the next team but I have to go via the menu below to do so.

image.png.339a79b5f1e9494fe9b53728125301cd.png

No you don't. I didn't even know that menu was there. I just click on the big advance button and it draws the next team out. 

26 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

No you don't. I didn't even know that menu was there. I just click on the big advance button and it draws the next team out. 

I can also use the spacebar to advance, as I said, but the fact remains that the timer is excessive and the menu, which I opened because I look for things, does mean two clicks when one should be sufficient. If the menu is redundant then it just echoes more poor design. Either way this whole new approach to draws comes out as a first pass on a new idea and one that I still don't feel is that good.

It also doesn't advance to the next team, it advances through stages of a mechanic I do like the idea of but one which doesn't really work because it's too slow. It also did mess up the window for me. I had also opened up the overview and I don't know if that was what  messed up the process. Before I did so I was seeing the 'show matchup info' button but it disappeared after I'd visited overview or advanced through the draw. 

I know someone at SI worked hard on this and I will again say that I think it's a fun idea. It needs refining though.

3 hours ago, XaW said:

Posted this in another thread here, but since it's feedback it should also be here, I think:

I think the idea of the squad planner is excellent, but I also think it needs to be improved. It's not user friendly enough, nor is it functionally capable for my uses at least. A few of the things I'd like see improved include

• Custom columns
  • Option to right click ANY player to put them into the planner from just about anywhere you can click a player
  • The little (i) that is everywhere else to get a popup of the basic info and attributes of the player
  • Very improved "ask assistant" logic, preferably with option to "auto show contracts as extended" either for all or tick off players as such, and a bunch of other options along those lines. It annoys me that I know I plan on extending contracts (but the board don't allow more than 2 year deals), and I have to add the players inn every time
  • Do something with positions where you have two different roles, like MC or DC. I hate having to remove a player from one since they are clearly only used in one role. Not 100% sure how that would work though. It's just something I find annoying.
  • Would like the idea to save a plan, and then have others to toy around with without destroying the current plan. Some form of "store plan", and a button for "revert to stored plan", or something along those lines.
  • I'd like feedback from the staff in regards to how the plan looks (with toggle on/off) after you "lock in" the plan for the next season or transfer window. "We have few midfielders, or "the current plan has few up and coming strikers", or "all the central defenders in our plan are quite slow and the tactic has a high defensive line, this is something that could cause us trouble", or something along those lines of pointing out flaws in the plan.

Anyway, my point is that I really like the thought of having a place to plan out the next few seasons, but as it is, it's too hard to use and give too little feedback. I use a spreadsheet for a few of these things, but with an improved planner I can see myself retiring it some time in the future.

I agree with all of this. I love the ideas of the squad planner but it does need additions.

My idea was to have a column where I could add my own star rating for a player, similar to how some might give a young newgen player a nickname that was a rating of potential. A column to which we can add thoughts such as 'train as MC' that outline your plans for a player's future would be nice.

FM has had notes for some time now but I have always found them very user unfriendly. They include categories and reminders but always felt more hassle than useful to me.

I'd like to see the squad planner integrated into the squad view screen in some way. One of my big problems with the squad planner currently is that it's a click away from my heavily curated list of my squad. Some sort of drag and drop tool, as in the tactics screens, would be very useful. Maybe it just needs to be another view on the squad screen because views are something I use a lot. Maybe one day FM could be made dual screen in some way, such as the ability to drag windows to another screen - but I don't know the programming possibilities of that some it's just a tangent thought.

I've said a number of times that FM seems to do a lot to cater to persons wanting a new look to the game or those needing to zoom and those with colour blindness. I see it now caters to those wanting they and them in use. What it doesn't do is cater to age and lessened memory. SI removed logs of player conversations some editions ago and I would like to see them back. I see the squad planner as a first step to really refining the UI and giving managers a lot more tools to take notes. I'd love to see a much improved note mechanic along with seeing the squad planner grow into a tool that is extremely useful. Hopefully our feedback can be helpful in that.

I first felt enthousiastic with the ME. Having played two seasons i now feel anoyed by it. It's  extremely repetitive. It's true that playing defensive-counter attack is a somewhat more viable option in this opus, but CP even with team that shouldn't be able to seems still very OP. The chaos in midflied turns to inconstency. The incesent hoof balls are getting tiresome. The defense is a mess. Even with a low block. In a high block the errors seem unnatural, as if a "price to pay" was forcefully intagrated. Playing from the back is not difficult, it's just stupidly bugged. Jack (WTS) said that it takes time to judge a ME. Time did not show me a very qualitative ME. I hope the launch version will be better, but my expectations are low.

8 minutes ago, Mr Tonio said:

I first felt enthousiastic with the ME. Having played two seasons i now feel anoyed by it. It's  extremely repetitive. 

I have the exact opposite experience to this. For me, it's the least repetitive match engine since the series began. 

Came in to see how the fam are after a week of playing a game and honestly (we all say this every year so meh) this place feels so toxic.

Dagenham_Dave I agree with you, I do actually feel like I'm watching a football match and once a highlight starts I have to watch to see how it pans out which perhaps hasn't always been the case before.

We don't control the footballers in this game, we manage them. Get 11 of your mates and ask them to do everything you want for 90 minutes while another fella is doing the same with their mates to stop that? Reckon every one of them will listen to you? None of them will twist an ankle? The referee might have something in their eye at the worst/best point for your/other team?

This is not sensible soccer, this is football manager

1 hour ago, gavinski33 said:

Came in to see how the fam are after a week of playing a game and honestly (we all say this every year so meh) this place feels so toxic.

Dagenham_Dave I agree with you, I do actually feel like I'm watching a football match and once a highlight starts I have to watch to see how it pans out which perhaps hasn't always been the case before.

We don't control the footballers in this game, we manage them. Get 11 of your mates and ask them to do everything you want for 90 minutes while another fella is doing the same with their mates to stop that? Reckon every one of them will listen to you? None of them will twist an ankle? The referee might have something in their eye at the worst/best point for your/other team?

This is not sensible soccer, this is football manager

That's why lower league management is so appealing to me. I never get upset with the Match Engine, rather my talentless stupid numpties who can't pass or hit a barn door.

25 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

That's why lower league management is so appealing to me. I never get upset with the Match Engine, rather my talentless stupid numpties who can't pass or hit a barn door.

I just had my 36 year old striker end his goal drought with a 4 goal haul so the shysters brought on a 46 year old Lee Trundle that got a hat-trick in 6 minutes to make it a draw :) 

Same as you, I never know if the ME is OP and all the other crap, I don't get to find out because by the time I get to the big table everybody is a regen Scottish Mexican that started at Dorking or something silly. And thats why we play.

Plus it's better than AFK minig veldspar

8 hours ago, XaW said:

• Custom columns

I agree wholeheartedly. I have been pretty hard on the squad planner. I have tried repeatedly using it, but it’s not helpful in it’s current state. It requires me having a photographic memory of my players attributes to compare them against each other. 

A small (i) would make the world of difference. The ability to see preferred data analytics for the specific player would be a godsend. Not having to redo everything in case you unforgivably ask the assistant manager for help would make this a tool I could use. However it’s making me take 2 steps backward for every step forward I want. 

Right click add any player from anywhere. Add a small (I) and for heavens sake allow us to customise the views. Currently there are 3 titled views via a drop down that show exactly the same stats.

I know people are struggling with the defensive side of the game or having issues creating one touch passing football, I don’t. For me personally the match engine is the best I’ve ever played. Defensively I feel that my players are following my instructions down to a “T” in spite of what other people are saying and I think that SI should do an official post explaining how mentality is different in 23.  I can understand the changes but feel like I am a lonely ship heading off on some glorious journey while the rest of the armada behind me is still navigating out of a storm.

29 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

I agree wholeheartedly. I have been pretty hard on the squad planner. I have tried repeatedly using it, but it’s not helpful in it’s current state. It requires me having a photographic memory of my players attributes to compare them against each other. 

A small (i) would make the world of difference. The ability to see preferred data analytics for the specific player would be a godsend. Not having to redo everything in case you unforgivably ask the assistant manager for help would make this a tool I could use. However it’s making me take 2 steps backward for every step forward I want. 

Right click add any player from anywhere. Add a small (I) and for heavens sake allow us to customise the views. Currently there are 3 titled views via a drop down that show exactly the same stats.

I know people are struggling with the defensive side of the game or having issues creating one touch passing football, I don’t. For me personally the match engine is the best I’ve ever played. Defensively I feel that my players are following my instructions down to a “T” in spite of what other people are saying and I think that SI should do an official post explaining how mentality is different in 23.  I can understand the changes but feel like I am a lonely ship heading off on some glorious journey while the rest of the armada behind me is still navigating out of a storm.

And how exactly has mentality changed?

12 hours ago, ajw10 said:

There's got to be a better way for the ME to show a player being pressed than them just standing still and waiting 5 seconds to lose the ball?

This has always amazed me about how well Gegenpress works as a tactic (in terms of results), if you watch the games there's no actual pressing going on. 

The more I’ve played over the last couple weeks, I honestly have no doubt in my mind that this is the best edition of FM I have ever played. I can’t wait for the full release.
Yeah, there’s bits here and there which aren’t great (manager timeline & I don’t really get the whole squad planner thing) but those things don’t affect my gameplay so I’m not too bothered. The ME is the big deal and IMO it’s playing so nicely and making the game a lot of fun to play.

52 minutes ago, Harrymcintyre said:

The more I’ve played over the last couple weeks, I honestly have no doubt in my mind that this is the best edition of FM I have ever played. I can’t wait for the full release.
Yeah, there’s bits here and there which aren’t great (manager timeline & I don’t really get the whole squad planner thing) but those things don’t affect my gameplay so I’m not too bothered. The ME is the big deal and IMO it’s playing so nicely and making the game a lot of fun to play.

The ME is playing nicely?  It;s littered with ridiculous defensive errors and players not doing anything they are told to. CD's standing and watching strikers run through on goal with no attempt to even run back.

Ok can anyone explain this?

Free kick setup vs Free Kick ingame.

Why are none of my players marking the man stood in the middle of the area by himself? Needless to say they passed to him and he scored.

I have 3 players set to zonal and 3 to Go Back. Why are 6 of them marking 4 attackers and leaving the other guy completely alone??

Free Kick ingame.JPG

Free Kick setup.JPG

Edited by Jethers

6 minutes ago, Jethers said:

Why are none of my players marking the man stood in the middle of the area by himself? Needless to say they passed to him and he scored.

I have 3 players set to zonal and 3 to Go Back. Why are 6 of them marking 4 attackers and leaving the other guy completely alone??

Free Kick ingame.JPG

Free Kick setup.JPG

Game is not bug free.

https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2023-early-access-beta-bugs-tracker/753_match-engine-ai-and-tactics/

save game, find .pkm from your computer and upload it with game time to forums. I think this kind of bugs should be quite easy to fix.

Just now, Pasonen said:

Game is not bug free.

https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2023-early-access-beta-bugs-tracker/753_match-engine-ai-and-tactics/

save game, find .pkm from your computer and upload it with game time to forums. I think this kind of bugs should be quite easy to fix.

6 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Raise it in the bugs forum if you feel it's not working correctly. 

I have reported this just wondering if anyone had an explanation in case I was missing something.

2 hours ago, BnadnerB said:

And how exactly has mentality changed?

On lower mentalities, attacking duties will try and get back if you've set the right lines of engagement and defensive line. Here you can see Edwards playing as an Inverted Winger coming back quickly to take the ball off a player and we initiate a counter attack.  So far the only time my defenders have been stupid and I've always pointed this out on my livestreams, is when I make a stupid tactic.  I think i set up a 3 man defence yesterday or the day before and played a defensive winger in midfield, then picked the wrong central defender. Started the game, we fell behind 3-1, things were looking bad. I pointed out why, changed my tactic slightly, brought on a better central defender and we pulled it back.  incidentally I am not employing specific man marking. All I am using are pressing angles and triggers, in this deep 4231 low block. played on very defensive mentality.

I won't go into details but SI did say on their blog that very defensive and attacking mentalities have been reworked.  

36 minutes ago, Jethers said:

Free Kick ingame.JPG

Free Kick setup.JPG

You have 3 players set to zonal, they wont move regardless of whether there are opp players or not. There are 3 attacking players there one of them is not covered by your zones.  You have told 2 players to go back, without telling them specifically what to do.  Your edge of area is marking someone, so its fairly obvious  to me that you need to assign two players to man marking.  Its fairly obvious to me that your players are following your instructions. If you want them to pick up a man why aren't you telling them to man mark?

I see a lot of people complaining about this set  piece, but every person who has been having an issue NEVER sets players to mixed marking and is hoping for some miracle that tells the players to read the managers mind. Tell them what to do, I have yet to concede a goal from an indirect free kick. Your indirect free kick defending set piece is probably the default one. SI don't give people perfect set piece routines. Its up to you to define them.

30 minutes ago, Jethers said:

I have reported this just wondering if anyone had an explanation in case I was missing something.

You could try moving one player of small box and set it to "go back" instruction and see if it helps. 

Edit. Or what @Rashidi said. It's kind a playstyle thing or working around a bug.

Edited by Pasonen

On 05/11/2022 at 08:44, Dagenham_Dave said:

The changes this year have been mostly positive IMO, and the game has definitely improved.  Match engine better than it's ever been (and will be even better when they iron out a couple of the glitches). 

It's a yearly sports title, so it's never going to look drastically different than the one before. That's the nature of the beast. SI's model has always been incremental changes year on year. You'll get the odd year when there's a bigger overhaul than usual (FM13 adding classic mode, FM14 doing away with sliders, etc) but generally its small changes year on year. 

Bizarre that people are so vocal about this year's game when it's seen the biggest improvement to the actual match engine in many years, but I suppose there's nothing shiny and hypnotising to look at and there's also YouTubers influencing the perma gullible to whine and moan more than usual. 

Of course, as the poster you've quoted hinted at, if you're one of those people who micro analyse the game to the nth degree, you will NEVER get any enjoyment out of it. 

You are happy with the squad planner? Come on....

The lowballs from the AI is really annoying... and of course the player will get annoyed, but when I managed City only 1 player out of several dozens got unsetled from me trying to buy him, and it took a lot of tries to do so...

image.thumb.png.d733f6d8dfd3a9588b5727c983c21b2e.png

15 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Why can't I set training intensity for all to automatic, and instead have to (again) click twice for every player and do this manually

Thats been possible since FM21. There is a way to set training intensity automatically for all your players from the Rest part of training, unless you are referring to something else.
Automation.thumb.png.529a7ec493af36a801ba4747b2fffa22.png

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Actually funnily I want to manage lower league teams but the purpose is to be an actual manager...u know...to be able to influence what they do on the pitch...coaching them to move better positionally around the pitch to receive the ball to break a press/pressure from opposition and have my players move into pockets of small space inside to work the ball up the pitch slowly to get into good positions higher up the pitch to create higher value chances and create openings.

At least I want them to try it...if they try and fail all that is on my management and coaching...which is how it should be.

I can try and address it with more time on the training pitch to work it out. 

I can try and address it by getting better technical players with good mental attributes 

I can try and address it with adjusting my tactics then if all that fails but tactically that's all on me as the football manager.

I shouldn't have to be subjected to old school views that non league football = hoofball/messy play. I watch plenty of non league football and many teams try more and more to play it out from the back and pass it around patiently and have done well this way.

Even say Salford in league 2 changed manager this year and passing completion rate has gone up from 68% the previous 2 seasons to 80%+ this season. So coaching on the training ground and philosophy has changed a lot in terms of how they play and how well they control matches.

This is what a manager can do at any level. The main issues with players a lower level would show up as they play teams from much higher levels but playing at same levels good play can and should unfold given the right philosophy and good coaching.

So currently in FM there are issues with balance too much favouring chaos/battling midfields and the quality possession game isn't being well simulated.

After all this game is football manager and a manager needs to be able to have his way of playing manifest itself on the pitch. Its success will depend mostly on the quality of the players at his disposal but quality possession football over the years has usually shown itself to be consistently the most successful...sure there will always be defensive teams/high work rate teams/pressing teams that will do well and win but the common theme throughout is good possession teams playing cohesively and creatively consistently do well. Of course they will have to marry that with good work rate and effort (especially in modern football which FM is trying to replicate and its clearly not a finger click) but that's the basic of football...pass and move is key to consistently doing well. Klopp/liverpool woes this year and before show its pep views of football that will win the war...just as it did over jose mourinhos view of football...and just as it will in 100 years time as well. 

FYI...I don't necessarily mean extreme tiki taka possession football either there re pep.

FM has to get this right first and foremost and then blend in the chaos factor on top...but key piece is good possession football. From that base everything can be built into it. Fingers crossed we get that on release this year.

FYI @phnompenhandyur post re you managing loch ness and your research and prep was awesome dude

14 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I'll see that, and raise you this...

image.png.6edd0421912d69898531f34dd80939e0.png

Exactly the same amount of achievements in almost a third of the time as me, good going. 

Jef > Dave, innit?

2 ore fa, Rashidi ha scritto:

You have 3 players set to zonal, they wont move regardless of whether there are opp players or not. There are 3 attacking players there one of them is not covered by your zones.  You have told 2 players to go back, without telling them specifically what to do.  Your edge of area is marking someone, so its fairly obvious  to me that you need to assign two players to man marking.  Its fairly obvious to me that your players are following your instructions. If you want them to pick up a man why aren't you telling them to man mark?

I see a lot of people complaining about this set  piece, but every person who has been having an issue NEVER sets players to mixed marking and is hoping for some miracle that tells the players to read the managers mind. Tell them what to do, I have yet to concede a goal from an indirect free kick. Your indirect free kick defending set piece is probably the default one. SI don't give people perfect set piece routines. Its up to you to define them.

i feel this is quite arguable design. if you've set three  players to zonally mark the six yard box, two to mark the edge of the box- remaining players should automatically be man marking. what else is there to do? 

1 hour ago, MrManagerMan said:

I think SI should let these modders mod the stadiums, pitches etc just like you can get logo packs, skins etc. It would only improve the game. There’s obviously some great modders out there that would love to recreate lower league grounds up to the most magnificent stadiums - even if they were generic.  Just open it up and let folk mod it. It will only Improve the product and as someone previously said, it would stop us complaining about them. SI clearly aren’t that bothered with improving them so why not allow others to do that? For me, I don’t have that much of a problem with the graphics on the actual pitch It’s the surrounding stadiums that let the match day experience down a bit. It’s small yes but would just add that bit more to the immersion.

Pitches are already modded

7 hours ago, Rashidi said:

If SI doesn't do an official post explaining how mentality is different this year, would you consider doing an unofficial post explaining it?