*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

Anybody feels that IW or W on support duty drop less than before? I mean most of time they just stand high up the pitch and isolate from the back or midfield build up. Is that officially change or just bug?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hace 49 minutos, RandomGuy. dijo:

Try adding "run at defences" and/or "be more expressive" as team instruction?

My IFs as Santos are constantly cutting in and shooting.

IF/IW cut inside off the ball. With the ball they do it sometimes but the problem comes after doing it, as soon as they see a defender in front, when they have 1 vs 1 situations to dribble they stop and look for the pass or a long shot... You will rarely see them dribbling the defender to enter the box and shoot.

It is not a tactical problem, it is a bug that has been carried over from FM22 that is less bad in FM23 but it continues to distort the play of the IF/IW (also the strikers in counterattack situations and 1 vs 1, stop or long shoot, not dribble) because they are cowardly against the dribble and their options are always: 1 Flee to the wing and back pass , 2 Cut inside and long shot or pass. Cut inside and dribble? No thanks, I'm scared.

4 minutes ago, eusebio1 said:

When starting unemployed with National A licence and Sunday League experience, why is my managerial reputation (5%) as low as starting with no coaching badges? Makes no sense in my opinion

You have Sunday league experience. How high can a Sunday league players reputation be?

IRL Plenty of coaches in the lower leagues have top badges doesn't mean everyone know about them

vor 1 Minute schrieb wazup:

You have Sunday league experience. How high can a Sunday league players reputation be?

IRL Plenty of coaches in the lower leagues have top badges doesn't mean everyone know about them

Got it. But when completing coaching badges in game, each completed coaching badge gives you a reputation boost of 5%, independent of the level you are coaching on. That's why I expected the coaching badge pre-selection to influence reputation as well

6 hours ago, Ferocious289 said:

You think that's bad! How many years have the pitch, stadium filler with burger van, ambulance and minecraft level brick walls graphics as well as player interaction limimations been left untouched? The stadium and grass texture is a disgrace to 2023 level gaming, no wonder Zealand felt the need to speak out.

:lol: 

I would keep all of those if I didnt have to change my taker on every corner and free kick when I change tactics in game :seagull:

2 hours ago, Ryanonandon said:

Bin off the intake preview, or make it purely state how many players you're getting from what positions 

Purely cosmetic feature, that is always widely off the mark

Always sign every player from your youth intake and judge them yourself. Staff judgement is next to useless and the constant need to provide more staff feedback every year is making things alot worse.

2 hours ago, rp1966 said:

This behaviour is all the more disappointing because in FM21 the IF/IWs were responsible for most of the good attacking play - the driving run diagonally into the box from an IF with a shot across goal into the far corner was a signature move of the FM21 ME. Now all the IF/IW seems good for is collecting the ball to pass back to a WB/FB.

I’m happy with how the IW plays now. In FM 21 they were basically the same as IF but a bit less aggressive 

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, zzkeg27 said:

In the modern 4231 formation, like Manchester City's Kevin de Bruyne or Bernardo Silva, there are cases where they play aggressively, moving with Mezzala in the 2CM position rather than the 2DM position.

Isn't it impossible to position the aggressive movement of the CM position in the 4231 formation of modern football?

You would use a 433 with two advanced CM roles, with Rodri behind and IWBs.

10 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

You would use a 433 with two advanced CM roles, with Rodri behind and IWBs.

However, I remember moving like Mezzala in the 2CM position when pep used the 4231 formation at Manchester City in the past.

and

AI uses 2DM in 4231, isn't the DM's positional role too lacking?

Mourinho's past Chelsea's role of a player like Cesc Fabregas is thought to be a move like an advanced playmaker (support), but it is impossible to implement because of the lack of a role.

Edited by zzkeg27

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

100%. I reported this last year too

It affects all roles that run on the ball

9 times out of 10, a runner on the ball will run around or away from the defender to avoid a 1 vs 1 situation. Very rarely will they directly dribble at an opponent 

It's something I'll report again at some point but I guess it's well known and not something that's easy to fix 

How can it be a bug carried over if the Match Engine is brand new ?

1 minute ago, alian62 said:

How can it be a bug carried over if the Match Engine is brand new ?

SI don't write 3,000,000 new lines every year. Certain aspects/modules are re-written and/or re-worked or there are features added to it etc.

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, zzkeg27 said:

However, I remember moving like Mezzala in the 2CM position when pep used the 4231 position at Manchester City in the past.

and

AI uses 2DM in 4231, isn't the DM's positional role too lacking?

Mourinho's past Chelsea's role of a player like Cesc Fabregas is thought to be a move like an advanced playmaker (support), but it is impossible to implement because of the lack of a role.

The difference between a 4231 and 433 is fairly arbitrary, to the point where some coaches wouldn't even consider the 4231 a separate formation, instead seeing it as a variant of a 433.

Pep typically plays a 433 system with two advanced central midfielders, which we'd call a 433, not a 4231. But if you wanted to play a 4231 with a roaming DM, then you can use either the roaming playmaker or the segundo volante role.

As for players like Fabregas - it's very common for advanced playmakers to transition deeper as they get older e.g. Fabregas, Cazorla, Eriksen, and you have the DLP + RP roles, so I don't think it's all that limiting.

13 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

The difference between a 4231 and 433 is fairly arbitrary, to the point where some coaches wouldn't even consider the 4231 a separate formation, instead seeing it as a variant of a 433.

I would agree, but in FM it kinda is different. 

There's a difference between using a single vs double pivot, though in Pep's system, like you said, the IWBs come inside.
Another difference is the AM position. In FM, there's a big difference between using roles like CM-A, Mezzala, etc. in a 4-3-3, vs using an AM in a 4-2-3-1. Those roles in a 4-3-3 will often occupy half-spaces, while the AM in a 4-2-3-1 will be all over the place, often sitting in the middle, which you don't necessarily want. And if you make something asymmetrical, the AM will stand right in front of one of the players in double pivot, and you won't have that player in double pivot move more centrally.

Another thing I've found, is that the double pivot players stand way too close to each other, instead of staying a bit more apart. Even on the widest settings, with stay wider PI.

Edited by (sic)

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

100%. I reported this last year too

It affects all roles that run on the ball

9 times out of 10, a runner on the ball will run around or away from the defender to avoid a 1 vs 1 situation. Very rarely will they directly dribble at an opponent 

It's something I'll report again at some point but I guess it's well known and not something that's easy to fix 

If you have examples please share it with my topic in order to get a fix 

4 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

If you have examples please share it with my topic in order to get a fix 

Looks like you've already got a good report in :thup:

I'm more concerned with the dribbling in general, as in all over the pitch 

I wouldn't change the behaviour of inverted wingers tbh. But I would make IFs on the ball more aggressive on the ball, making their primary drive to run, dribble, failing that then play the ball into the penalty area. Playing the ball back should be more infrequent, and done so in a one two attempt. But I think this is down to a general need for players to be a bit more aggressive across the pitch 

i am actually happy with how inverted wingers and inside forwards are playing. Inverted wingers are creating a lot of havoc in my systems by coming inside to cross the ball, and sometimes staying wide. Their interactions with some roles like the mezzala allow me to create the overloads necessary to free up IFs so that they can dribble diagonally into space to score goals.  Yeah been scoring a lot and I am one of those very happy with the way IFs are playing. So while people might have issues with theem dribbling and cutting inside - that is not an issue I am faced with. Yeah its definitely a tactical issue.

hace 16 minutos, themadsheep2001 dijo:

I wouldn't change the behaviour of inverted wingers tbh. But I would make IFs on the ball more aggressive on the ball, making their primary drive to run, dribble, failing that then play the ball into the penalty area. Playing the ball back should be more infrequent, and done so in a one two attempt. But I think this is down to a general need for players to be a bit more aggressive across the pitch 

Surely you are right and the problem is not in the IW (surely I was wrong about this, sorry), but in the IF in terms of their attitude with the dribble but, more generally, it is a problem of aggressiveness of the attackers on the pitch, probably if the latter were fixed, the dribblers would tend more to the dribble and less to the pass.

I think you make a good reading of the problem, which is not simply a broken role (although it becomes more evident in the IF) but the lack of aggressiveness of the attackers in the pitch who prefer to secure the pass or finish the play with a long shot instead to lose the ball with a dribble.

I hope the developers see it this way and find a solution... I guess impossible for 8N... Hopefully for the winter patch.

Loving the ME and the Animation engine this year. Still don't think that FM23 should be released or classed as a new game, considering everything new is just an update or polishing of existing features. Sports games are released too quickly. The yearly model is stupid.

ME and Animation engine is the saving grace.

18 hours ago, Oliver Roland said:

WHY IS SO DIFFICULT to repair the collums setting in squad screen? My squad screen got somehow broken and I am not able to get it back...every year the same issue. It is easier to finish Rubik's cube than to set up your squad screen....

I am sorry for non constructive feedback, I just lost my nerves trying to set up ONE SINGLE COLLUM RIGHT KEKW

I've raised a bug for it this year, like I raised one last year, and many talked about since FM started, links to this same problem every year are in the bug thread:

Edited by DiggingForOstrich

hace 31 minutos, Rashidi dijo:

i am actually happy with how inverted wingers and inside forwards are playing. Inverted wingers are creating a lot of havoc in my systems by coming inside to cross the ball, and sometimes staying wide. Their interactions with some roles like the mezzala allow me to create the overloads necessary to free up IFs so that they can dribble diagonally into space to score goals.  Yeah been scoring a lot and I am one of those very happy with the way IFs are playing. So while people might have issues with theem dribbling and cutting inside - that is not an issue I am faced with. Yeah its definitely a tactical issue.

They make an excellent off ball play, scores and run towards goal, only when they don't have a defender in front of them, if they have one in front of them, they pass or take a long shot, they don't dribble defender.

Of course, it is possible that the dozens of people who have reported it (and all the youtubers in the world, because in their videos don't exist dribbles inside) and have been playing FM for 20 years and making our IFs dribble inside since the role exists have become stupid and you are a genius of the tactic. We cannot rule out possibilities :D. Jokes aside, I wish it was that simple as you say.

Anyway, this was already a known issue on FM22 and there were those who kept saying that it wasn't and putting videos of an IF running alone against the goalkeeper (whitout defenders nearby) saying that he was dribbling defenders inside... So nothing surprises me anymore... Cutting inside off ball or cutting inside alone against goalkeeper is not the same that "drive to run, dribble, failing that then play the ball into the penalty area" as themadsheep2001 explained brillantly

the off the ball movement of wide attackers is fine, they move to the correct positions, go into the box to receive passes or crosses for an easy tap ain and/or finish the plays created by teammates.

the problem with dribbling is when the wide attacking players have the ball on their feet and they very rarely attempt to dribble their way into the box, most  of the time they run side by side with their defenders and when they get to the byline they either pass it back, try a blocked cross or lose the ball. is that the correct representation of players like neymar, mbappe, messi and vinicious jr just to name a few of them? ... i think that one of their characteristics in their play is dribbling and creating chances by winning 1vs1 against defenders, but this means getting past their defeender and leaving them behind, not running side by side holding hands.

am not asking to unbalance the match engine and make them gods of soccer so they break the defence every chance they get, but at least a 2/10 or 3/10 times they should be attempting to dribble their way into the box, but they dont even try to do it and when they kind of do try they dont dribble or use any type of feints, they just run side by side holding hands with the opposite defender glued to them until they dont have any more space to run into and just recycle the ball back to the midfield.

There is currently no detailed motion of the dribble.

In the past, there was a motion like stepover, but it disappeared.

Whether it is a future version or a patch, I hope the dribbling motion is detailed.

There is no dribbling motion, so dribbling is always just speed.

The lack of dribbling motion is closely related to the current lack of dribbling inside forwards.

53 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Not a tactical matter at all... Have you ever seen the best dribblers play like Neymar, Mbappe, Salah, Vinicius? They don't try to break through the dribble against opposing defenders. They always run to the backpass or side end and then cross.

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, zzkeg27 said:

Hibernian is a team that used 4-2-3-1 and 3-4-1-2 last season, so most of the original players have never played in the role of DM.

Of course, it was a team that didn't need DM based on FM2022 and of course no player plays the role of DM.

The database of famous players will be fed back quickly, Leagues that drop in the rankings do not reflect the player's position.

If you want to remove the tactics that used to use 2CM and use the tactics that use 2DM, don't you need to do something to make these players' positions available as DM?

As I've said before, if you see players that regularly play at the base of a 4231/5212 in real life, with no ability to play DM in FM, then it's a research issue to be reported on the research forum.

8 minutes ago, csw4228 said:

Not a tactical matter at all... Have you ever seen the best dribblers play like Neymar, Mbappe, Salah, Vinicius? They don't try to break through the dribble against opposing defenders. They always run to the backpass or side end and then cross.

I’ve seen Salah in this game cut inside and twist in and beat 2 players with near control dribbling, so excuse me for saying this . Driver not the car.

hace 16 minutos, Aoyao dijo:

like this way

1179081985_.gif.725c04ac4df89706c1b52adf37b79be2.gif

Very little happens. When it happens it is usually far from the area. It almost never happens in the last third. Just because it happens once doesn't mean there isn't a problem... The problem is that dribblers try to dribble a lot less than they should. We are not saying that they never do it, but that they abuse the pass or the cross when their natural tendency should be to dribble the defender. They try little, very little 

And... Running with the ball inside is not exactly the same as dribbling... But neither of them do it enough, just rarely.

Just one thing I was disappointed about FM23 is that there is no new roles.

Making new tactics with new roles was my favourite game-play. Enganche,Wide playmaker, Wide CB gived me lots of joy.

For example I still want to make player-role like 18-19 frenkie de jong at FM

I think De jong should be a playmaker, So I tested deep lying PM(D), deep lying PM(S), roaming PM

But none of these could play like De jong.

Do you have any plan to add new roles at FM24?

The problem for me is the dribbling 1vs1 in close quarters 

When the player has a load of space to dribble into, that's fine because they can just run around or past the defender, this tends to happen in deeper areas of the field 

When 1vs1 in close quarters, the dribbler is often sent wide, they don't dribble inside because of the traffic or beat their man to advance the ball

Same in and around the box, tricky players shy away from 1vs1 situations and I agree, they look scared of the defender 

I did see a player 1vs1 beat another with an awesome shimmy animation on the counter so I'm not saying they don't exist, they're just very rare 

This lack of dynamic dribbling, was the same in FM22

And to add further to this point, the dribbling itself is almost non-existent.

Quick changes of pace, quick changes of direction, tricks, flicks, skills... nope.

Instead dribbling just boils down to the player running forward with the ball. So when there's no space to go to, players don't know what to do. Well, they do know, they just try to find a pass, or just cross it into the box.

Edited by (sic)

After playing now a fairly decent amount of games... I can't see the improved AI Managers. I played in full highlights, extensive or key. Yes, sometimes they try an specific flank or press up a little higher, but nothing that much different from FM22. I would say that is even less reactive seems it seems to use only 2 or 3 tactics and that's all.

But maybe it's me and would like to know what everyone thinks.

24 minutes ago, david_kax said:

Very little happens. When it happens it is usually far from the area. It almost never happens in the last third. Just because it happens once doesn't mean there isn't a problem... The problem is that dribblers try to dribble a lot less than they should. We are not saying that they never do it, but that they abuse the pass or the cross when their natural tendency should be to dribble the defender. They try little, very little 

And... Running with the ball inside is not exactly the same as dribbling... But neither of them do it enough, just rarely.

2120998893_IWScutinside.gif.beee74b400af7dae4c5ddb23d345b557.gif

It just happened

9 minutes ago, Nahuelzn said:

After playing now a fairly decent amount of games... I can't see the improved AI Managers. I played in full highlights, extensive or key. Yes, sometimes they try an specific flank or press up a little higher, but nothing that much different from FM22. I would say that is even less reactive seems it seems to use only 2 or 3 tactics and that's all.

But maybe it's me and would like to know what everyone thinks.

I reported on the bugs forum that they don't start their second pref formation at all... Maybe you could also add your examples there...