*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Lempicka said:

Are we no longer able to praise or criticise training performance? In FM22 you could via this screen.

image.png.edcdd5b11343c2ad2ad6c5df9529e7f7.png

If you've only just joined the club you can't interact with the players, it's takes a couple of weeks until you can 

4 minutes ago, Lempicka said:

I'm about four weeks in - just got pre-season out of the way.

Maybe it takes a bit longer then now, I usually don't start praising until the season's under way and I can at that point 

11 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

I'm mocking no one, if you've been around here long enough, you'll know this happens every year. 

I relay plenty back to SI too, thank you 

Look you&mods with si staff want posters to be polite and constructive in their feedback then the same should apply both ways. 

you want feedback? Then people reporting something they notice in their game not long after a update is made should not be meet with, lol no nothing was changed or similar comments.

or lets say someone would reply to si staff posting here with what are doing here shouldnt you be working fixing the game? Would it be acceptable?

Has anyone looked into mentoring groups in this beta? I'd be really grateful for any feedback as I'm unsure if I'm going to carry on with this game or get a refund.

This was one area of FM22 I thought was really slow at times and it was often really hard to influence your young prospects - you could have say a young English regen CM or a Harvey Elliot in the same mentoring group as team leaders with the best personalities in the game (Henderson and Milner (model citizens)) and they could go seasons without improving their personalities. To me it's inconceivable that you could have a young promising striker with a miniscule reputation with a decent personality such as resolute / fairly pro who is mentored by Messi and Harry kane, brought off the bench and plays in cup games, has morale through the roof and has no language issues but you'd hear nothing for months the until you get the dreaded 'negative characteristics of the mentoring group' have influenced your prospect message. Even worse is the dreaded red arrow going down for determination. 

As an side after a quick search it looks as if there are much fewer model professionals and model citizens in the game anyways - is there a reason for this? It makes it harder to find players to influence your wonderkids - one of my pet peeves between FMs is having to sign the same team leaders every save (lewa, kane, kimmich, milner, or thorsby, cuesta, quagliarella if you are skint) as the importance of having a determination 18+ model Pro/ model citizen as the team leaders is huge. The same with signing the same staff with great mentals otherwise you always seem to negatively influence regen personalities.

4 minutes ago, Arnar said:

Look you&mods with si staff want posters to be polite and constructive in their feedback then the same should apply both ways. 

you want feedback? Then people reporting something they notice in their game not long after a update is made should not be meet with, lol no nothing was changed or similar comments.

or lets say someone would reply to si staff posting here with what are doing here shouldnt you be working fixing the game? Would it be acceptable?

I didn't "lol" and nothing was changed 

To be straight, I don't work for SI nor do I work on the game, I'm here in my own free time  

45 minutes ago, Crusho79bv said:

There you go mate, that`s the saved game in 2027 with all the players from the video

You can check the version of the game after you upload it

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l4ekntn0121yre8/England+2027.fm/file

Thanks, just checked it out.

Firstly this save only has 1 league loaded (English Prem). That means players outside of the English Prem will struggle to develop as much because matches arent detailed at all. For a true test this would need to be run with plenty of leagues. Dr Benjy has run a larger test confirming its okay and I believe others are running tests that will hopefully be posted here. Secondly 5 years isnt THAT long and a lot of young players still have some way to develop.

Anyway I had a look at some of the players in your save vs a save made pre patch at Jun 2022. It looks like a lot of them have just regressed rather that only developed mentals. This could be an indication of poor AI development of players rather than the players developing wrongly.

If you want to take this further id run a test on a larger database and then compare vs the base. You could post this save as proof of players regressing as a bug, but agains its a very small database and I noticed that none of the matches are set to simulate in any detail.

4 hours ago, trevjim said:

It's a really pointless "feature". It's incredible they spent time on this instead of things like Set prices or AI improvements 

I don't think it's pointless, but being broken and poorly executed is certainly giving that impression. Look at this from Clayts, I've time stamped it. 

Look at the two examples he's produced on Photoshop at home. To me these would be great, especially the ability to save digitally or even print so your best saves aren't just forgotten over time, you can actually keep the memory alive.

Edited by janrzm

31 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I didn't "lol" and nothing was changed 

To be straight, I don't work for SI nor do I work on the game, I'm here in my own free time  

Im sorry that i wasnt clear enough in my earlier response, i was refering to how other posters are behaving towards posters who are giving feedback.

12 minutes ago, Arnar said:

Im sorry that i wasnt clear enough in my earlier response, i was refering to how other posters are behaving towards posters who are giving feedback.

Okay pal, we'll just leave it here and stick to talking about the game  :thup: If anyone steps out of line, they'll be spoken too 

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Bad luck continues.

Splash all my budget on a striker, scores on his debut and i win my first game in 3 months.

3 huge games back to back against relegation rivals over a week.

Striker gets the flu.

Honestly mate it sounds like a fun save, the best ones are where you struggle and get the satisfaction when finally turning it around. 

Do players not get upset anymore by rejected offers?

I'm managing City, so I won't suffer from that, but got so many offers rejected that would trigger a player reaction on previous versions, but not even 1 of them got unsettled 

16 minutes ago, dannyfc said:

Honestly mate it sounds like a fun save, the best ones are where you struggle and get the satisfaction when finally turning it around. 

Its so frustrating 😂

Big money striker came back for the final crucial game and bagged a double, the winner from long range. Genuinely jamp when it went in.

Im bottom of the Scottish Premiership and hes costing me £100k a month just to loan for 5 months. Was pretty much all or nothing.

Georges Mikautadze is who it is, if anyone cares, Southampton seemed to have signed him in my save.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, albertluque said:

Is this a timeline problem? It's polluted with 7 events, all of which are youth signings. Kind of makes the timeline pointless. You'd imagine securing safety from relegation in the first season in the top flight would go on there and getting manager of the month in the top flight too. As well as winning 5 games on the bounce. I feel like youth candidate signings should be added retrospectively if they go to a top division/club or get an international cap.

Timeline.png

Just as I expected:

"Dynamic manager timeline is meh, it is the history tab with some additional "memories" but I guess it will be showing irrelevant things the game thinks is important to you. Like in the feature video the manager joined the club on 27th June and on 30th July it highlights a 6th youth player debutant marked as "Golden generation" - that I imagine was a random friendly match rotation result."

12 hours ago, soablacksmith said:

I'm having a quite good time with my Deportivo La Coruna save although there are two bugs which may create a great disappointment in future.

We are sitting at the top by 14 points after 28 games. (23 w - 3 d - 2 l) Our next home game is against Real Madrid B who are behind us at second spot. So basically if we win, it's 17 points with 9 games remaining.

We have lost an away game (1-0) after a 14 games unbeaten run. I got a message to my inbox from board as they were calling me to a meeting and discuss my future. They nearly sacked me but I asked them to give me one more month and everything will be good. And all this time I had a grade B and my job was secure. I know this is a reported issue in Bug Tracker and I hope they fix it soon. I don't want to get sacked after having one of the greatest seasons in our division.

Also fans are constantly furious with me (Grade F) without a proper reason. I also know this is a reported issue in Bug Tracker.

image.thumb.png.3fd87c009f2e5e5807c79f67df17d3d7.png

...and I'm gone :D despite having one of the best seasons. I hope the fix will be save compatible. I'm holding my back up save until release.

30 minutes ago, soablacksmith said:

image.thumb.png.3fd87c009f2e5e5807c79f67df17d3d7.png

...and I'm gone :D despite having one of the best seasons. I hope the fix will be save compatible. I'm holding my back up save until release.

Perhaps the game has just hard coded Depor to keep getting rid of the manager every year because the club is such a basket case and hasn't quite taken into account that getting promoted is something that could actually happen to them in an alternative world

On 25/10/2022 at 14:49, KeegBCFC said:

Bought the game, couldn't even be bothered to get past my first press of continue cos my motivation for this game is gone. Year after year just bells and whistles added (some that dont even work) and issues that have been there for years just ignored. See you all in March when we get the yearly patch to half-fix some stuff. Refunded for now.

Every year I say I won't buy the new FM and every year I cave in and buy it. But this year given the feedback on this thread I won't be going near it. My hope too will be by the time the March patch gets released it'll be a decent game but I'm not holding out any hope. I felt FM22 was the worst addition yet, and to see the same bugs and lack of advances in areas that have been crying out for years to be improved be ignored, I think I'll probably give it a miss altogether. 

17 hours ago, kiingallen said:

This is helpful. And appreciate your time to write this. And it does make sense, to me at least. 

I will keep persevering. Although I do feel powerless in some ways currently. The quicker I shift into this new way, the better. But updates do seem frequent atm, which is good. 

Yes agreed . This is what a Beta release is all about . Why try to pin point an issue with 20 computers when you can have access to a million scrupulous users who are passionate about the game. These people who return the game for refunds are only kidding themselves .Yes it looks like FM22 but so what . FM22 looked like FM21 . FM17 was a copy of FM16 . FM20 is FM19 ? There might be some what seems like pointless features like the Manager Timeline or putting rings on your managers fingers but these are probably stepping stones to better things . We know set pieces , 3D graphics on game day etc needs a revamp but im guessing its being worked on already but probably not ready for this release . Next year I think we will see a big move forward with the introduction on Women's Football. People should look at what's changed rather than what hasn't.  The UI seems sharper to me . The colours are more palatable.  The 200% rendering is great . Match Engine is great and its the most fun I've had since FM17. Needs a tweet here and there but I'm happy . Like the new supporters screen which will improve . Im seeing little improvements here and there with interactions . Im loving the tactics screen now . I buy only 1 game a year and this is it . For $63 AU its a bargain . The only downside is my wife thinks I'm having an affair which technically I am with this game . 

Edited by prot651

Squad planner is coming in handy for me. My squad has around 7/8 players who ill be letting leave on a free, plus 4 loanees, so its handy to look at next seasons squad without them to see whats actually happening, as just looking at this seasons and trying to work it out has too much noise.

Would guess thats how its meant to work, but for people with great squads that need minor tweaks itll just be the squad depth page again.

3 hours ago, nb9 said:

The past few years they just seem to be adding features that make a feature that is already there more complicated and not fixing broken/useless stuff.

I hate what they have done to scouting for example, it's so complicated nowadays. There is about 5 tabs at the top of the page that do a similar thing. I have thousands of hours since changes, I still click about 3 different tabs because I don't know what half of them do still.

I pray that FM just strip it back next year and minimize the information and menus. Give us quality of life additions & fix what's broken. Don't make more things in the game even more complicated! I dread to think what I would be like as a new player, I am overwhelmed now and I have been playing for 15 years.

I read my review from FM2018 earlier, I was saying the exact same thing about the menus then. That was 5 years ago! Really poor stuff. I do some UI design occasionally, and I can tell you that FM's is an absolute nightmare. 

Scouting and Transfers needs a overhaul and should be combined into a new Recruitment Centre with the aim to arrange the process and screens so it creates a flow of information, almost like a KANBAN board. The whole idea of Recruitment is to FIND and then SIGN players, so they should all be part of the same process. Purely finding players via scout assignments is outdated too, most DoFs and scouting teams use tools like Wyscout to find potential players before even seeing them in the flesh, FM need to represent this change. This is why the World Explorer accessed from the top of the screen needs to be revamped and repurposed, make it a scouting tool.

I did put in a Feature Request for this a few months ago but it will like take 5 years to be implemented even if it does get picked up by SI.

4 hours ago, nb9 said:

The past few years they just seem to be adding features that make a feature that is already there more complicated and not fixing broken/useless stuff.

I hate what they have done to scouting for example, it's so complicated nowadays. There is about 5 tabs at the top of the page that do a similar thing. I have thousands of hours since changes, I still click about 3 different tabs because I don't know what half of them do still.

I pray that FM just strip it back next year and minimize the information and menus. Give us quality of life additions & fix what's broken. Don't make more things in the game even more complicated! I dread to think what I would be like as a new player, I am overwhelmed now and I have been playing for 15 years.

I read my review from FM2018 earlier, I was saying the exact same thing about the menus then. That was 5 years ago! Really poor stuff. I do some UI design occasionally, and I can tell you that FM's is an absolute nightmare. 

I agree. Scouting is an absolute mess now. They have made it way more complicated then it needs to be.

The UI in general has got worse each version for about 5 years now. The whole game needs stripping back and a new direction taken

12 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Played a season and a half now and have so far been loving the game but that's not really a surprise because FM22 was the best version of FM they'd ever made and this is FM22.1 it's a patch for FM22 basically. Do I feel ripped off paying 25 quid for what is essentially a patch that updates squad and league data?. Because that's the only new thing I think I really needed. Seeing as all the new headline features seem a little pointless which I'll go through them all now and explain exactly why.

Squad Planner 

The headline "new" feature and I've used it once in 18 months of management purely to have a look at it, having played FM since I was about 7 or 8 years old and being 40 now I have for the past 33 or so years become very adept at just memorising everything about by my FM teams, I can't remember my wife's birthday but god damn I can still recall my great Sporting Lisbon Squad from the late 90's and as a result I have zero need of the squad planner which is basically just a reskin of the squad depth page but with extra clicks (a running feature in all of FM's features in recent years). So this is a pointless addition for me that just adds more clicks than the old system we had anyway.

Recruitment Revamp 

On one hand I love how this now works. I get far better results than I have ever gotten before and had one of the most realistic transfer windows I've ever had as my hometown team in all the years I've been playing this game. On the other it is a labyrinthine nightmare that took me two transfer windows to even work out how it worked. Plus it increases the amount of clicks I have to do. The old system gave poor results I found in terms of players found but was much easier to navigate. This has so many screens that themselves have multiple tabs, throw in the fact it's now not unheard of to get 90+ scouting reports to click through all at once, its so much clicking and information overload to the point I get bored and just end up skipping the entire thing and not really engaging with what is a much improved system results wise in players found.

Match AI and animations 

By far the best "new" feature of FM23 is the match engine which is once again a triumph whoever has taken over doing this the last few years give them a massive pay rise and a lifetime contract because the ME just keeps getting better and better each year in my opinion. The ME really does recreate the chaos of real football far more than older versions throw in the ne animations and its just a far smoother experience. 

Official UEFA licenses 

I'm managing in league one so have not used these at all and won't do for many months at this rate.

Supporter Confidence

In theory a great addition, in reality just as broken and immersion breaking as board confidence. We beat Sheffield Wednesday 7-1 away, I'm Barnsley our most hated rivals we hammered them 7-1 AWAY, they'd build statues to me, in FM however the fans gave the result a B- because I had rested two players who played well the match before. I'd also add I found this information totally by chance clicking around just after this result and have never returned. So again it's a nice touch but one I'll probably look at maybe once or twice a season and largely never touch.

Dynamic Timeline

An entirely pointless timeline of me signing youngsters apparently. After 18 months we have maybe two giant killings in the cup on it and 8 youngster signings, one favoured player sale, a record number of goals and the fact we thrashed Wednesday. Another feature I might give a quick glance at once a season (at the end of it probably) then never touch or think about ever again.

So am I disappointed I paid 25 quid for what is a largely pointless features patch with a data update, in short no because I know I will play this for hundreds of hours over the next year and FM22 was great so I'm happy they didn't baulk the ME somehow at least. But for someone who is a more casual FM player I don't see anything here that makes FM23 a must buy over FM22 at all.

(so far I haven't experienced any bugs that I'm aware of anyway)

I don't see anything here that makes FM23 a must buy over FM22 at all ???? 

Yet you say ....By far the best "new" feature of FM23 is the match engine which is once again a triumph whoever has taken over doing this the last few years give them a massive pay rise and a lifetime contract because the ME just keeps getting better and better each year in my opinion . 

So you cant be that disappointed and agian as said millions of times that this is a BETA version ..... 

1 minute ago, alian62 said:

Yet you say ....By far the best "new" feature of FM23 is the match engine which is once again a triumph whoever has taken over doing this the last few years give them a massive pay rise and a lifetime contract because the ME just keeps getting better and better each year in my opinion . 

So you cant be that disappointed and agian as said millions of times that this is a BETA version ..... 

It's not worth a buy. They had 3 "standout feature's"

Squad planner. Not needed or used and a worse version of squad depth.

Manager dynamic timeline. Absolutely pointless and broken.

UL/EL license. Nice but not enough to warrant a purchase 

4 minutes ago, alian62 said:

It's a beta version that is feature complete...if it was bug ridden you can say it's a beta, they get chance to fix the bugs. If it's supposedly a new game that is basically the old one with very small and largely pointless "upgrades" then the fact it is a Beta is entirely moot because they aren't adding anything to it, this is it.

Also yeah I think the ME is better but is it a must buy over FM22, nope not at all in anyway shape or form. It's a small upgrade on what was already a very good ME, but in no way something I think I'd recommend people rush out and buy the game for it.

Breaks my heart that money that could have been spent on a graphics person specialising in lighting effects (or even non/floating scarves) was instead spent on a UEFA champions league licence. 

Why introduce a totally unnecessary licensing dependency? Why deploy your resources in that way?

…let me also say this about the UCL license. It is a lot harder to take things like that away than it is to introduce them…

I’m about to finish my second season at the moment. Overall I would say I’ve really enjoyed the game so far. I’ve had my issues with certain things (player development bug) but that was patched out really quickly. I think there may have been a morale reset post patch which had affected me & a few others here. But after a few results I’m back to where I was pre-patch.

I am playing as Aarau in the Swiss league. I’m not sure if it’s just the league I’m playing in, but I’ve found the league to be extremely competitive. As in each team is able to beat any of the others and no clear dominant team. This has honestly made the game for me extremely enjoyable. I’ve had some great wins and one or two horrific losses. It’s been unpredictable. It really has been great.

I would also agree with the others who have said the squad planner is redundant. I find the idea is probably a good one, but the implementation and the UI really are not good. I also see that there is no squad planner for international management??? For a feature that was presented as the key feature it really lacks a lot of polish. 

I’ve also got issues with the scout report. The removal of the attributes to be “more realistic” is just baffling to me. The game needs more streamlining and less clicks. Not more. I also find it extremely annoying that the little button on the corner of your scout reports seems to move position, so you can’t easily click through them. You have to slightly move your mouse and it’s extremely annoying. It’s things like this that I would have expected to be ironed out in the game at this point. 

Overall, I have to say I’m having a great time. I’ve got my issues with the game, but there are positives. We just need to tidy up a few things and the game would be a big improvement for me. 

Edited by angelo994

I don't understand how people are finding the new scouting tool tough to use. It's been revolutionary for me. I now find that part of the game far more enjoyable and user-friendly than it was before. Setting up scouting focuses is slick and easy, and everything is in the one place. No more need to navigate through pages setting up scout assignments only for you to forget all about them as they're hidden away on the assignment screen. Now, when I click on scouting, all my recruitment focuses are there on the first page. This has been the single greatest addition this year, and worth a new release for that alone IMO. 

I also really like the squad planner. Obviously it's not a screen you're going to use every day, but I've already found it useful, especially the feature to look ahead to upcoming seasons. Saved a lot of money on not buying a new left-back, as one look at the next season tab showed a left-back out on loan who would fit perfectly for the season ahead. This feature may be slightly more redundant the further you get into a save and the knowledge of your whole squad increases, but for the first couple of seasons at a club, I think it's another great addition. I like it a lot more than the old squad depth screen, and I particularly like how seamless it is to set up a new recruitment focus from there. 

While I'm here, some feedback for the rest of the game. 

Match engine is terrific. Took a bit of getting used to at first as it's noticably different, but as others have said, it's slowly starting to mirror the chaos of real life football. In terms of the graphics, the player animations don't really bother me - I'm one of those who are still amazed that SI have a 3D representation of that incredibly complex match engine at all - but the other aesthetics still need massive improvements. Stadiums, lighting, pitch textures, weather effects, etc etc are so far behind, and there's no excuse for SI being so tardy in this department. It's still the biggest immersion killer for me. 

The new supporters feature is something, like the data hub, that will probably evolve. Right now, it's nice to look at, and not much else. 

The UEFA licences are a fantastic addition and really make European nights much more immersive. Big thumbs up for that one. 

My biggest gripe, as it is every year, is AI squad management. I'm not far enough into my own save, but I have seen from others that this is still as bad as always. It reached a nadir in FM22 and almost killed the whole experience for me. Criminal this hasn't been addressed. I realise how difficult and costly it must be to have AI management run perfectly, but they really need to focus on this going forward. Long term saves are becoming more difficult to enjoy. 

Overall though, really enjoying the game, the ME changes and the recruitment revamp are reason enough to warrant a new release IMO. Top effort again. 

..now just fix Ai squad building please. 

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I don't understand how people are finding the new scouting tool tough to use. It's been revolutionary for me. I now find that part of the game far more enjoyable and user-friendly than it was before. Setting up scouting focuses is slick and easy, and everything is in the one place. No more need to navigate through pages setting up scout assignments only for you to forget all about them as they're hidden away on the assignment screen. Now, when I click on scouting, all my recruitment focuses are there on the first page. This has been the single greatest addition this year, and worth a new release for that alone IMO.

I think a lot of the issues around the new scouting tool are the fact that for some users (myself included) players who should hit the critera for a scouting focus arent getting pulled though. Even if you set a focus for any position in your tactic with 1 star CA/PA your focus wont get any hits. The players are being scouted as you can see from the scouts report page/players scouted screen, they just arent pulling through onto the focus.

That said I really like the look of the new scouting tool, cant wait to use it more when I play post launch.

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I just got a scout report into my inbox with 99 players in it, it's the sheer amount of clicking and general info overload for me that I don't like. The actual results of the scouting and the new style recruitment focuses are an improvement though.

37 minutes ago, (sic) said:

So far I've been getting anywhere from 0 to like 2-3 reports for whatever my scouting focus is. 

25 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I just got a scout report into my inbox with 99 players in it, 

Further proof that everyone plays differently. 

What I've found is that it's all about how you set up the focus. It's not like the old days where you could fine tune the exact specifications and still expect a ton of players to come through. Scouts are more reactive now, so if you are whittling the search down too much, you're not going to get a lot of responses, usually. Of course, that all still depends on the number and quality of your scouts and how many players you have loaded. 

It is certainly different to what it was before, but I've found it to be a really positive change once I worked out how to use it properly.

It's one of the things about FM though, there's next to no guides on how to use certain features, they just leave you to get on with it for yourself. I often think FM for a new player must be such a daunting experience. 

Edited by Dagenham_Dave

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Further proof that everyone plays differently. 

What I've found is that it's all about how you set up the focus. It's not like the old days where you could fine tune the exact specifications and still expect a ton of players to come through. Scouts are more reactive now, so if you are whittling the search down too much, you're not going to get a lot of responses, usually. Of course, that all still depends on the number and quality of your scouts and how many players you have loaded. 

It is certainly different to what it was before, but I've found it to be a really positive change once I worked out how to use it properly.

It's one of the things about FM though, there's next to no guides on how to use certain features, they just leave you to get on with it for yourself. I often think FM for a new player must be such a daunting experience. 

My scouting focus has literally been set to scout for a certain position, 3 stars quality minimum. That's it. No other specific requirements. Nobody comes through.

90% of my "scout reports" are actually agents offering/recommending their players.