*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, kiingallen said:

Killed my season 🥲

yep, glad im at seasons end, pretty much got to rework everything.

strikers didn't score in final 6 games since patch and i may as well not even have TIs

2 hours ago, Arnar said:

What do you call the youth developement bug that was/is in this beta? 

Ive seen bugs not getting fixed for the duration of a game more then once, so yes i will gladly pay a little extra for a playable game over paying less for a game i wont enjoy.

i really liked fm22 but there is also so much extra fluff in it that you just slowly loose intrest in the save.

dof and scouting doesnt work, why does my scout which is assigned to brazil not hear about the winderkid tearing up the u19s?

why does dof, chairman and the coaching staff recommend players that dont fit into the clubs vision?

why do i need to have 9+ coaches to have low workload and 4+ stars?

I could go on and on about things that dont work properly.

The youth bug ... its a beta... just as well it was discovered before the release . I get what your saying but its better to have customers root out issues

52 minutes ago, vara said:

yep, glad im at seasons end, pretty much got to rework everything.

strikers didn't score in final 6 games since patch and i may as well not even have TIs

The patch had nothing to do with it . 

5 hours ago, Arnar said:

I have not played fm23(i wont pay to beta test) but this was an issue in fm22, gk or outfield player kick the ball over the cbs who wont react to it and the striker goes through or if 2 strikers, one heads it to the other striker who is through on goal. That and wide free kicks and back post header were the most of the goals i conceded.

after playing for many years there are always these “scripted” goals that the ai scores. 

I have moved to buying the game in march after the disaster that fm18 was, with the every shot is straight as a arrow with no curve and no shots outside of the box hit the goal.

Weird that someone who states that they haven't played the game because they won't spend time to beta test would spend time on a thread about beta testing the game. 

You not have anything better to do?

3 hours ago, kiingallen said:

Killed my season 🥲

94061AFC-1EDA-4CAA-B501-28813A0AEAA6.thumb.jpeg.40bae81ef3517a44e3a45824683488c1.jpeg

If you think its an issue then raise it as a bug and upload your game files

It could be a bug that you've discovered that has nothing to do with the latest update (which has been confirmed to not touch the ME) but the core beta ME. 

Get a bug raised

16 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

This is one of those cases where positions/formations are fairly arbitrary labels, but:

• 4411 - A 4231 in a mid/low block phase will take up this shape.
  • 4141 - A 433 in a mid/low block phase will take up this shape.

It's important for us to have consistency in how formations are set, which is why these are not used anymore. However as you suggested, based on the instructions/tendencies the manager has they are able to create these shapes through roles and instructions during a match.

That's great!

17 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

Positions is always a difficult topic, especially in the modern game where positions/roles are so fluid - it almost just becomes a game of semantics! 

Previously we had a problem - a CM in a 433 is fundamentally very different to a CM in a 4231, they're really not the same position. e.g. you might see Mason Mount as a CM in a 433 and not bat an eyelid, but if you saw him at the base of a 4231 you'd wonder what the manager is thinking! However, in game the AI managers were constantly using players like Mason Mount as CMs in formations where you'd typically expect a double-pivot to be deployed e.g. 4231, 523, 5221.

We reviewed all the possible solutions and felt this was best for the realism of the team selection system, fundamentally players in the base of a 4231 are pivots, and these changes reflect that. It does mean that some players needed their positions adjusted by researchers to reflect these changes, and if you see any issues where this still hasn't happened, please report it to the researchers via the forums. You'll probably find that most CMs will end up also having at least some ability at either DM or AM, but this is expected.

It does mean that there's a lot less formations used by the AI managers with CMs - but there's still some e.g. 442 diamond and 442 flat which remain.

But overall we feel like this has benefits for not only tactical balance and team selection for AI managers, but also for AI shortlisting - since now when they look to recruit a player to play at the base of a 4231 they're not even considering a player like Mason Mount for it.

It's worth noting that when you use DMs with no CMs in the team, then those DMs will position higher - and the same for CMs when there's no DMs, they'll position a bit deeper in certain phases.

You should share more details

27 minutes ago, allyc31 said:

Weird that someone who states that they haven't played the game because they won't spend time to beta test would spend time on a thread about beta testing the game. 

You not have anything better to do?

Why is it weird? Im interested in seeing how the game progresses and if it will be worth it to follow this iteration or not.

and tbh it is none of your buisness what i do with my time.

5 hours ago, SeaCarrot said:

Isn't the game seed based anyway? Everytime you reload a save you get a new 'random seed' generated that influences results. Otherwise simulating the same game without any changes would result in the same thing happening wouldn't it. 

Maybe old mate just got a bad seed when he updated and loaded in. ;)

I believe the only randomisations are the potential abilities of players. Eg Jude Bellingham instead of having a set PA of say 180, he will have it programmed that his PA can be anywhere between let's say 180 and 195, and varies with each save.

Beyond that obviously everything is dynamic, so every Transfer, Match and youth intake then changes the future outlook of the game

6 ore fa, prot651 ha scritto:

Wont pay to beta test but will pay more not too.  Thats the pay off isn't it . FM18 was a disaster but the beta releases have got better . FM23 has no real new features that break the game anyway . Its basically a FM22 update 

congratulations for the discovery!
It was already known that it was not an edition of substantial modifications.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb kiingallen:

Killed my season 🥲

94061AFC-1EDA-4CAA-B501-28813A0AEAA6.thumb.jpeg.40bae81ef3517a44e3a45824683488c1.jpeg

Hi, I don't think the patch was to blame for the turnaround. I watched your matches - who was the opponent in the 5th round of the FA Cup? It often happens to me that my team has had a run, but then, due to a loss, suddenly had to accept a losing streak. In my experience, these series play a (too) big role. What you see here is the result of a positive streak reversed by a loss. Nothing unusual for me.

Well, i didn’t want to believe it, but after a huge winning streak, i updated the game and i started losing:

easy shots get bottled or hit the post with an open net, and opposition players just get it in on the first through ball or squared ball in the middle.

since it was a very simple and not thoroughly thought tactic, i suspect i was overperforming because of morale feeding too strong in the match engine, as it was said before.

it was good until it lasted, so it’s back to the drawing board for me today

Not technically restricted to this game, but ive still no idea how to turn a winless streak around.

Regularly happens to me so its something im doing i guess. Games are close but we miss sitters and make mistakes and narrow defeats, and then after 4/5 a thumping arrives. Then we go back to narrow games.

Tried being nice, tried being harsh, tried sticking with the line up/tactics, tried changing everything, over the course of the last 2/3 versions but never able to turn a 5 game winless run around. 

Ive hit January this time and going to spend a fortune on a whole new squad to see what happens.

1 hour ago, trevjim said:

I believe the only randomisations are the potential abilities of players. Eg Jude Bellingham instead of having a set PA of say 180, he will have it programmed that his PA can be anywhere between let's say 180 and 195, and varies with each save.

Beyond that obviously everything is dynamic, so every Transfer, Match and youth intake then changes the future outlook of the game

In order for a match to produce different results when simulating through it after save scumming for example, there needs to be a number randomiser run. Else every reload before a match would produce the exact same match outcome if you simulated it. 

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not technically restricted to this game, but ive still no idea how to turn a winless streak around.

Regularly happens to me so its something im doing i guess. Games are close but we miss sitters and make mistakes and narrow defeats, and then after 4/5 a thumping arrives. Then we go back to narrow games.

Tried being nice, tried being harsh, tried sticking with the line up/tactics, tried changing everything, over the course of the last 2/3 versions but never able to turn a 5 game winless run around. 

Ive hit January this time and going to spend a fortune on a whole new squad to see what happens.

I usually find going back to basics for a few games helps. Try to pick players who have strongest moral/form, and go back to a default 4-4-2. Once you start picking up the points again - you can revert back to your own tactic.

8 hours ago, Arnar said:

Funny how you cant say a negative thing about si staff but then its ok to mock and brush off people who are giving feedback of the paid beta…

I'm mocking no one, if you've been around here long enough, you'll know this happens every year. 

I relay plenty back to SI too, thank you 

I'm having a quite good time with my Deportivo La Coruna save although there are two bugs which may create a great disappointment in future.

We are sitting at the top by 14 points after 28 games. (23 w - 3 d - 2 l) Our next home game is against Real Madrid B who are behind us at second spot. So basically if we win, it's 17 points with 9 games remaining.

We have lost an away game (1-0) after a 14 games unbeaten run. I got a message to my inbox from board as they were calling me to a meeting and discuss my future. They nearly sacked me but I asked them to give me one more month and everything will be good. And all this time I had a grade B and my job was secure. I know this is a reported issue in Bug Tracker and I hope they fix it soon. I don't want to get sacked after having one of the greatest seasons in our division.

Also fans are constantly furious with me (Grade F) without a proper reason. I also know this is a reported issue in Bug Tracker.

Apart from these two bugs my thoughts on FM23;

- I really liked the chaos, interceptions, deflections and ball physics in new match engine.

- There are too many and too accurate long balls, usually leading attacking players to get into one on one situations. 

- I didn't use Squad Planner much. I don't know if it's necessary for my playstyle. Although I'll deeply look into it after my first seasons where I didn't have much chance to change my squad.

- Recruitment Revamp is a successful change. It's much easier and goal-oriented right now. There are some minor QoL bugs though like when you backspace you start to see recommended players from the beginning tab.

-Uefa Licences looks great. I still need couple more seasons to experience it in my save but as far as I've seen from streamers, youtubers this addition creates a perfect atmosphere.

- I don't like when someone says "this year game is easy" or "it's harder than fm22" but I feel like AI opponents are not playing as they should be against my team. They usually try to sit at back and do not try to exploit my weaknesses. This also happened in fm 21 (or fm20 maybe) where SI fixed it in full release.

27 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

Now they need to fix the unrealistic amount of injuries in the game

Actually on my Man City team I'm only having a few, and most is only 3 to 5 days. Which I'm glad since the squad depth is really low, but I do think it's too low

1 hour ago, Conardo said:

Hi, I don't think the patch was to blame for the turnaround. I watched your matches - who was the opponent in the 5th round of the FA Cup? It often happens to me that my team has had a run, but then, due to a loss, suddenly had to accept a losing streak. In my experience, these series play a (too) big role. What you see here is the result of a positive streak reversed by a loss. Nothing unusual for me.

1A103D97-5A04-404C-942A-56D3A8E6EFC1.thumb.jpeg.36f72981509e902fdace99e95150df67.jpeg
Of course, losing to Man City was expected. Team talk at the end of the match was positive, despite losing. We actually deserved to come away with something that match, but missed a lot of real chances. 
ever since then, I’ve never seen my team play the way they were playing again, as well as the AI (been significantly playing better). 

it does feel like my defensive TIs aren’t working. I play a low line due to lack of pace at the back. However the line still plays too high up, we concede many through balls, defenders not reacting often hold the line (which is drop back further). 

I’ve tried adjusting my tactics, changing formation to playing a slightly more direct game, and nothing. My team have had it. 

I’ll do my bit and get some PKM’s in. Just rough timing, I’ve got 1 more game to save my season. 2-5 down first leg of play-off…

Edited by kiingallen

3 minuti fa, KamyKaze ha scritto:

Actually on my Man City team I'm only having a few, and most is only 3 to 5 days. Which I'm glad since the squad depth is really low, but I do think it's too low

There are multiple posts in the bug tracker which have the same issue as me, so either you found the perfect training setup or you are just lucky. Injuries are definitely an issue, especially if you leave training to your assman

4 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

There are multiple posts in the bug tracker which have the same issue as me, so either you found the perfect training setup or you are just lucky. Injuries are definitely an issue, especially if you leave training to your assman

I have my training set up by him, but I'm changing it to have a lot of rest days in the weeks with 2 matches. That's the only way the team survived until the WC break, and they were pretty bad at the last matches.

EDIT:

on my inbox when the break started:

image.png.a0842def6572875e258f29d997f32351.png

Edited by KamyKaze

1 hour ago, SeaCarrot said:

In order for a match to produce different results when simulating through it after save scumming for example, there needs to be a number randomiser run. Else every reload before a match would produce the exact same match outcome if you simulated it. 

But football doesn't work that way. Football is inherently random, you won't get the exact same things happening in each match.

Maybe if a player had poor concentration, in one match he might have paid attention to what was going on around him at a certain moment, but in other game he didn't, so the opposing team scored. Or if player's decision making was poor, so the opposition exploited that bad decision. 

There are so many variables, that you cannot simply say there's a "number randomizer" or that matches use a "different seed". No match plays the same, but not because of a pre-determined thing.

3 hours ago, rp1966 said:

Just a reminder for those debating about changes in the way matches play out without the ME having been updated (I haven't played anything since the update, so don't know myself).

In FM21 beta the initial ME played consistently amazing attacking football.  A non-ME update was released and it stopped playing anything like as nicely.  At the time the reason given by SI was that prior to the change morale was not being fed into the ME match engine module - once it was taken into account players were no longer consistently playing to the best of their abilities all the time, hence the degraded performances post update.

The point of recounting that story is to remind people that the way the ME plays is not simply a function of ME code, but also data from outside the ME that is fed into the ME module as parameters for the match.  So a change in ME behaviour without an update to the ME itself is completely possible.

I was thinking something similar to be honest. While the update may not have had a direct change to the ME, since many things feed into the ME, certain changes outside of the ME could've had an impact. 

Given that there haven't been any external changes that would indirectly impact the ME that's not going to be the issue here. That kind of thing only happens if you for example, radically change the impact of morale, or how consistency works, or playing position decision penalities 

I hate to be that guy, but maybe it really is your tactics (among a dozen of other things that could impact your results).

My results haven't suddenly changed post update, because I've made a tactic that makes sense, regardless of the ME it's played on. In fact, nothing has changed at all for me (at least I didn't notice anything). 

Balls over the top/through balls have been a thing since day 1 of the beta. It's not suddenly a new thing introduced by this patch.

I'm not saying nothing has changed, maybe something did in fact change. But you have to point out what it is, instead of just saying "I'm losing matches now". Or alternatively, submit a bug report, and let the SI find out what the issue is.

36 minutes ago, DMaster2 said:

26 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Like every year on FM, I hardly get any injuries, and I leave all training to my assistants. I actually wish SI would bump up the amount of injuries to be more like real life (it's currently only abouy 80% of real injury numbers). Having next to no injuries plays havoc with my squad rotation. 

As Dave; I wish there were more injuries. I'm with my second team, leaving training to my assistant and coaches, and i hardly have injuries. Knocks now and then, sure. Injuries are sort of "non-existent"  in my team at the moment.

40 minutes ago, (sic) said:

But football doesn't work that way. Football is inherently random, you won't get the exact same things happening in each match.

Maybe if a player had poor concentration, in one match he might have paid attention to what was going on around him at a certain moment, but in other game he didn't, so the opposing team scored. Or if player's decision making was poor, so the opposition exploited that bad decision. 

There are so many variables, that you cannot simply say there's a "number randomizer" or that matches use a "different seed". No match plays the same, but not because of a pre-determined thing.

You're missing my point. This is a PC game, coded and using numbers. It's not actually playing a game of football.

How else do you think you hit the instant result button, before a game, and get a different result then when you load up the same save, do nothing different, and hit the button again. There HAS to be something generating a seed/randomiser for the game to do different things in the ME when everything else stays static. No match plays the same, for a reason.

We already know the match result is determined when you enter the match engine, its done, you're just watching a fun replay. The ME changes the result when do you things like, sub, or shouts etc, and recalcs the game again. 

Must be all in my head then. It wasn’t my tactics pre update, but now it is? We’ve just turned into a bad team overnight (literally). Or the whole league have now sussed me out, despite having 2 different trained tactics which were largely successful.

I don’t want to sound like I’m just complaining here. I’m very impressed with the ME (generally). The potential this year is bigger than ever imo. 
It’s so far been much more immersive already than ever. But to slump that drastically and suddenly is very strange. 

Well that’s my feedback, post previous update. 

Have a good day. 

I said the other day I wanted more injuries as I usually play with a mod to increase them.

Since then I've had damaged cruciate ligaments to my captain, a broken lower leg for his positional stand-in, and a broken foot for my only LB.

I love it. Such a huge blow but adds such a nice story and dynamic to the save. Also given some time to some 17 year olds in the Championship because of it whose careers I will now follow with great detail if they don't make it here! 

Cursed myself, but love it. :D

for years i assumed that in the beta stage starts with an "easy" mode, by this i mean that at the start of the beta morale, team cohesion and tactical knowledge  dont have a lot of "weight" and how your team plays in the beta is something like an "ideal scenario" and as the beta progresses with each update were some bugs get fixed they let the morale, team cohesion and other external factors to have more weight in your team performance and by that the results you were getting before are not as good anymore.

by this i mean u could have a loss here and there and still have a perfect streak winning every game after that, because morale or other factors are not that important in "easy mode", maybe a player is not happy with his current gametime, maybe u draw a game and morale drops a little, maybe u do a bad team/individual talk and they become too overconfident but none of this matter because the team keeps playing as it had "perfect morale" ( maybe something as u get to play in versus mode were morale impact has fewer factors like contract, training, game time for example).

and as the beta progresses and morale and other factors start getting "unlocked" and suddenly a bad team/individual talk does has a bigger impact in performance or overconfidence starts affecting player ratings and that starts a butterfly effect that end ups affecting team performance and suddenly u dont win as easy anymore, because the "ideal scenario" is not there anymore, now it gets affected by more factors.

why a believe this? i work in software development and if i wanted to isolate a few variables in a problem i would "disable" some of its features to test something specific, specially since the beta is a "mass" testing before the release of the game, what would be more productive that start testing just a few things and after u check those are working fine for a few days only then let other factors into the mix and then check how that works, what needs to be balanced, if u have everything working at the beginning its way more difficult to pinpoint a problem specially in a simulation game were a lot of features of it can affect just the team performance.

Edited by kertiek

11 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

@Dagenham_Dave called it!!

Hi! I saw your later comment saying you’re mocking no one. FYI I don’t think you are “mocking” anyone. But you have to admit this is less than stellar feedback thread behavior. I wish we would all stop the sniping/snide comments and just focus on leaving feedback. Hell, if we don’t agree with feedback someone left, we don’t really need to fight them here anyway. The point of this thread is for feedback and we’re all going to have different interpretations of that. I don’t necessarily agree with the idea that the patch changed the ME but comments like the above only serve to make people less likely to provide feedback. Worse still a comment from one of the mods, who post comments about not “derailing” the thread. Anyway I didn’t mean this as an attack; I just think maybe it’s not setting a good example. I also appreciate the irony of saying “oh this thread is for feedback only” and posting this. I just felt the need to. Anyway back to playing and providing feedback for me :)  

6 minutes ago, kertiek said:

for years i assumed that in the beta stage starts with an "easy" mode, by this i mean that at the start of the beta morale, team cohesion and tactical knowledge  dont have a lot of "weight" and how your team plays in the beta is something like an "ideal scenario" and as the beta progresses with each update were some bugs get fixed they let the morale, team cohesion and other external factors to have more weight in your team performance and by that the results you were getting before are not as good anymore.

by this i mean u could have a loss here and there and still have a perfect streak winning every game after that, because morale or other factors are not that important in "easy mode", maybe a player is not happy with his current gametime, maybe u draw a game and morale drops a little, maybe u do a bad team/individual talk and they become too overconfident but none of this matter because the team keeps playing as it had "perfect morale" ( maybe something as u get to play in versus mode were morale impact has fewer factors like contract, training, game time for example).

and as the beta progresses and morale and other factors start getting "unlocked" and suddenly a bad team/individual talk does has a bigger impact in performance or overconfidence starts affecting player ratings and that starts a butterfly effect that end ups affecting team performance and suddenly u dont win as easy anymore, because the "ideal scenario" is not there anymore, now it gets affected by more factors.

why a believe this? i work in software development and if i wanted to isolate a few variables in a problem i would "disable" some of its features to test something specific, specially since the beta is a "mass" testing before the release of the game, what would be more productive that start testing just a few things and after u check those are working fine for a few days only then let other factors into the mix and then check how that works, what needs to be balanced, if u have everything working at the beginning its way more difficult to pinpoint a problem specially in a simulation game were a lot of features of it can affect just the team performance.

This is helpful. And appreciate your time to write this. And it does make sense, to me at least. 

I will keep persevering. Although I do feel powerless in some ways currently. The quicker I shift into this new way, the better. But updates do seem frequent atm, which is good. 

16 minutes ago, SeaCarrot said:

You're missing my point. This is a PC game, coded and using numbers. It's not actually playing a game of football.

How else do you think you hit the instant result button, before a game, and get a different result then when you load up the same save, do nothing different, and hit the button again. There HAS to be something generating a seed/randomiser for the game to do different things in the ME when everything else stays static. No match plays the same, for a reason.

We already know the match result is determined when you enter the match engine, its done, you're just watching a fun replay. The ME changes the result when do you things like, sub, or shouts etc, and recalcs the game again. 

I understand that, but the way I view "seeds" is like presets. 

It calculates the match based on many different things, but those different things don't necessarily always effect the match in the same way. I gave my examples (decision making, concentration attributes). Those might not always effect a player in the same way. So even if there are "seeds", there are more seeds than you can think of that are being calculated for the match. And when you make a change, "the seed" completely changes.

The way I understood your comment is like it's a simple randomizer that generates a seed which determines the outcome of the match, when in fact it's way more complicated than that. 

33 minutes ago, kiingallen said:

Must be all in my head then. It wasn’t my tactics pre update, but now it is? We’ve just turned into a bad team overnight (literally). Or the whole league have now sussed me out, despite having 2 different trained tactics which were largely successful.

I don’t want to sound like I’m just complaining here. I’m very impressed with the ME (generally). The potential this year is bigger than ever imo. 
It’s so far been much more immersive already than ever. But to slump that drastically and suddenly is very strange. 

Well that’s my feedback, post previous update. 

Have a good day. 

It depends on so many things. Maybe your tactic was exploiting a certain weakness in the ME (not necessarily to your knowledge, unintentionally). That would imply there were changes to it though.
Maybe indeed the opposition have figured you out (though it definitely would feel weird when that happens right after the patch). It might also depend on a team you're managing, and where you were expected to finish. Maybe it's one bad result, that spiraled into a losing streak - very possible. There are many possibilities, that don't have anything to do with the ME itself, though the timing of it would imply that the patch did something.

I agree that there are issues with the ME currently. You have pointed out through balls, and in my first reply, I mentioned they've been a problem since day 1 of the beta. There definitely are a few more issues.

I just haven't noticed any changes. Maybe indeed it was just one bad game, which resulted in another, and then another. My team is generally getting the same results as it has before the patch.

5 minutes ago, (sic) said:

It depends on so many things. Maybe your tactic was exploiting a certain weakness in the ME (not necessarily to your knowledge, unintentionally). That would imply there were changes to it though.
Maybe indeed the opposition have figured you out (though it definitely would feel weird when that happens right after the patch). It might also depend on a team you're managing, and where you were expected to finish. Maybe it's one bad result, that spiraled into a losing streak - very possible. There are many possibilities, that don't have anything to do with the ME itself, though the timing of it would imply that the patch did something.

I agree that there are issues with the ME currently. You have pointed out through balls, and in my first reply, I mentioned they've been a problem since day 1 of the beta. There definitely are a few more issues.

I just haven't noticed any changes. Maybe indeed it was just one bad game, which resulted in another, and then another. My team is generally getting the same results as it has before the patch.

Fair play. I guess my feeling is probably exacerbated by the timing in which it’s happened during my season too. I was clear on course for promotion. Then bang. Relegation form. 
but you’re right in saying perhaps maybe my tactics were over performing and has now been cancelled. Who knows. I did suspect I was doing too well. Expectations are to finish in top half and was sitting in second comfortably. 

it’s just hard to approach things logically, when things don’t clearly make sense (including known issues). 
but it’s beta. So will accept it until full release.