*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

How is the dynamic manager timeline? Is it an improvement over what was available before?

Does your adaptability change through out your career? In my FM22 save it seems to be stuck.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Slippy_ said:

Outside of Europe it seems like using the 5-3-2 agaisnt you has been effective. I am guessing you are a few seasons deep to be in the Euorpa League as Queeks Park and in the qualifying there are a lot of not great teams. Hell even my awful Flint Town/Banger team from Wales busted a few noses in the qualifying rounds!

Looking at those results nothing jumps out at me as being too bad and we can see that Oostende did knock past 3 you.

Yeah 2026 - 2027 season - i had qualified a few times for Conference league with 5th place finishes but knocked out straight away before. Won the Scottish cup which got me into Europa League Q - lost to Salzburg and dropped into the conference League group league new structure.

I think my tactic or roles does not match up well to these formations as even though the results tell one story - the actual games i always feel vulnerable. St Mirren do seem to have my number.

18 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

In the real world, a manager wouldn't use a Mezzala in a 4-2-3-1, I think that's part of the point in the change :thup:

I understood your explanation.
But there are still doubts.
Forms such as 4-4-1-1 and 4-1-4-1 are available to the user, but are not in the fm preset.
Are you saying that this is due to the role and the form is irrelevant?

1 hour ago, Rashidi said:

Here is an SI staffer responding to my explanation and there are very obvious reasons why the devs don’t come in to address each and every concern. 

Hey but it’s entirely up to you. Believe what you want, my conscience is clear. I only do and share things to help the community. And yes maybe SI should have included their match engine changes as a MAJOR feature, and gone into great detail to explain it. Actually they did, but maybe they might go into it in a lot more detail later. Another thing SI like to do is to quietly put features out to see how many people actually notice them. Don’t forget I was very critical about the other features in the game, slamming the squad planner as “inconsequential”, but the match engine stands head and shoulders above anything I have played.

People who are struggling are those who are trying things that will now get punished, Thats not to say the match engine is easy or there are no flaws. There are and I have reported them, except I am no mere mortal I report things differently to SI than some of you. 

Yeah what I meant is that if there are no people like you who explain some of the ME mechanics to us who don't have time to watch every match in more detail we would be lost in terms how to create our tactics.

I actually enjoy your content for FM.

I think the game lack a proper manual in terms of how mechanics work, yes there is stuff in the manual but it does not go in detail.

1 hour ago, Jack Joyce said:

Mentality changes are hard to explain comprehensively, since we made hundreds of ME changes every year and to some extent most of them will have some effects based on mentality (on either a player or team level).

Generally, we went into this year with the aim of making defensive mentalities more viable - previously it always felt that attacking mentalities were more or less the only way to go if you want to succeed as a manager, and we really wanted to rebalance things better and review the effects of mentality holistically.

There's been many, many changes to attacking movement, passing, risk assessment - but also to tracking back as well, attacking players are less consistently able to track back when they've committed themselves to an attack (obviously their fitness levels and work rate affect this too). This leads to more of a risk/reward approach to attacking football, whereas before it felt like teams could over-commit in attack but not always feel the cost of that when being countered.

Sorry its a bit vague, but we really do make hundreds of changes to the match engine every year and its really hard to fully explain everything! 

Yeah I'm a developer myself and I know how hard is to explain small incremental improvements to the core of the application.

Thanks for the answer :thup:

Edited by FM1000

4 minutes ago, 장낙서 said:

Forms such as 4-4-1-1 and 4-1-4-1 are available to the user, but are not in the fm preset.

Jack has explained all of this very well :thup:

45 minutes ago, XaW said:

I've posted a few times in the thread here. SI have said that it will be save compatible, but not retroactive.

Thank you. Apologies, just trying to get my head around this. So my beta save will still work with the main release (save compatible) but will not include any patches/updates (not retroactive). For those to be included I would need a new save. Have I understood that correctly?

7 minutes ago, 장낙서 said:

I reported this change as a bug and received a similar response. However, it seems that there is an explanation. From what we have seen so far, the AI now plays differently on the flanks, it covers them better than in FM22.

1 hour ago, VeniVV said:

Why do I have to go on a forum for this information? 

Well, you have to go to research multiple youtubers if you would like to know how training actually works, as the in-game descriptions are not reflecting the results (highlighted attributes trained are not really being trained based on the growth results). By the way, has this been sorted/corrected for FM23 or should we wait until it is exposed via a thorough testing on the long run? :D

What I refer to here is that are often descriptions for functions in-game, in the old manuals and also here on forums/external sites or via youtube experiments repeated multiple times as facts are not even close to how it is working in the game itself. But I expect - based on what I saw from the past 3 editions - nobody knows actually what is working in FM anymore and what is not. It is somewhat of the romantic beauty of it in some user's eye and an advocate for the randomness of football, and a programming catastrophe in others' mind who are more analytical and critical thinking.

Edited by marioNOW

14 minutes ago, KeegBCFC said:

Bought the game, couldn't even be bothered to get past my first press of continue cos my motivation for this game is gone. Year after year just bells and whistles added (some that dont even work) and issues that have been there for years just ignored. See you all in March when we get the yearly patch to half-fix some stuff. Refunded for now.

I feel the same mate, I am so disappointed because I truly love this game - but this really has killed my motivation to play the game.

I'm doing a beta save with Sunderland at the moment and one thing I really enjoy is the actual EPL broadcast graphics before the match (like team formations, league table, etc...)

Are there any other leagues that use the television broadcasts before the match? I know the Champions League matches use them, but do any other leagues (Eredivisie, Serie A, etc....) use league specific graphics?

Really enjoying the beta, thanks for the hard work!

Just now, nb9 said:

I feel the same mate, I am so disappointed because I truly love this game - but this really has killed my motivation to play the game.

I find thats how I am initially starting a new game... but once you past a few weeks/months in-game, you get the feel for it again!

Just now, ButchertheBaker said:

I'm doing a beta save with Sunderland at the moment and one thing I really enjoy is the actual EPL broadcast graphics before the match (like team formations, league table, etc...)

Are there any other leagues that use the television broadcasts before the match? I know the Champions League matches use them, but do any other leagues (Eredivisie, Serie A, etc....) use league specific graphics?

Bundesliga does, not sure about any others

Just now, ButchertheBaker said:

Bundlesliga does at least 

Anyone else find it really odd seeing The Netherlands referred to as Holland in game. No-one does that any more. BBC = Netherlands; FIFA official site = Netherlands.  Why is it still Holland in FM?

It's almost as anachronistic as using Peking or Bombay.

Edited by rp1966

1 minute ago, KillYourIdols said:

You'll need the Real Name Fix.

Yes - always wait until full release to apply. Just find it bizarre that FM hasn't stopped using Holland.

Edited by rp1966

48 minutes ago, jdubsnz said:

Thank you. Apologies, just trying to get my head around this. So my beta save will still work with the main release (save compatible) but will not include any patches/updates (not retroactive). For those to be included I would need a new save. Have I understood that correctly?

It would start developing correct when the fix is deployed, but the attributes that should have developed will not automatically appear, rather the correct changes starts from that point.

Sorry - just to add to my earlier points regarding the match UI. I don't wish bad upon anyone.

But whoever's decision it was a few years ago to remove the ''Last 5 minutes possession'' bar from the bottom of the screen to keep you informed of the flow and dynamic of the game in-between highlights... I hope you stub your toe :D. It was such an incredibly simple and useful tool and I find it so difficult to immerse and judge games without it.

Especially when you consider a shot can sometimes take 2/3 match minutes to update in the stats table?

3 minutes ago, Choi seung won said:

Are there any improvements related to the stadium?  

please let me know…

Can you see the different stadium styles?

been playing lower league, and in stadiums that claim to seat 500, they all look like about 6000 seats, and about 50 people in the stands. Stadium accuracy will never be a strong point of FM. 

1 hour ago, kertiek said:

in fm23 as in previous years if u do a  touchline shout to only 1 player, u have to wait for a while to be able to speak to the other 10 players.

why is this still working like that? since when irl managers cant give multiple instructions in a short amount of time, for example if u shout to an AMR "berate" due to poor performance and in the next play your left back gets a yellow, u have to wait multiple minutes to be able to shout "calm down" to the left back, its like u have to coordinate different touchline shouts bc your manager gets muted for a while and if u make a shout to one or two players to better cross your fingers that nothing happens for the next 10-15+ mins because u wont be able to shout anything to the other players.

If you click on the player's icon on the bottom row there's an option to individually Shout for that player

4 minutes ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello everybody. We've just released a minor update for the Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta, which directly addresses the player's attribute development progression issue.

This update is save game compatible, meaning you don't need to start a new save game for the fix to take effect.

The update should download and install automatically. If it does not, we recommend restarting Steam or the Epic launcher.

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone within the community who has taken the time to leave us feedback or raise an issue with us so far. It's been extremely informative and is helping us continue to shape the game before the full release of Football Manager 2023 on November 8th.

If you find any issues within the Beta, please raise them via our Bug Tracker. If you experience any technical issues please check our FAQ for solutions or create a support ticket with our dedicated team.

Great news, well done for getting it fixed quickly :applause:

I assume this has been mentioned?

I’m in April of the first season, I’ve signed two players that will come in the summer. Both were for fees and at the conclusion both selling teams asked if the player could be loaned back until the end of the season.

problem, the transfer window is closed and they won’t be moving until the summer anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Can't wait for the inevitable posts about changes to the match engine when the match engine hasn't been touched. Every single year.  :lol:

Omg I was winning everything but then my defenders turned into clowns and my goalie has replaced his arms with noodles why did they ruin it this match engine was perfect

8 minutes ago, gggfunk said:

I'm really impressed by the fact SI takes time to release these minor updates for beta, hopefully thanks to this the game will be fully playable on the release day.

Thanks SI!

Thats meant to happen in betas. Updates and fixes. Its a normal thing to expect for game betas. 

Only glorified demos advertised as "betas" dont get updfates and fixes.

Just now, Siven said:

Thats meant to happen in betas. Updates and fixes. Its a normal thing to expect for game betas. 

Only glorified demos advertised as "betas" dont get updfates and fixes.

Yes, but I can't remember any updates for beta in previous years. Or there was some?

45 minutes ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello everybody. We've just released a minor update for the Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta, which directly addresses the player's attribute development progression issue.

This update is save game compatible, meaning you don't need to start a new save game for the fix to take effect.

The update should download and install automatically. If it does not, we recommend restarting Steam or the Epic launcher.

We would also like to take this opportunity to thank everyone within the community who has taken the time to leave us feedback or raise an issue with us so far. It's been extremely informative and is helping us continue to shape the game before the full release of Football Manager 2023 on November 8th.

If you find any issues within the Beta, please raise them via our Bug Tracker. If you experience any technical issues please check our FAQ for solutions or create a support ticket with our dedicated team.

Great stuff, well done guys for fixing the issue so fast