*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, allyc31 said:

Im really not missing the point. Its a beta. You either understand that or you don't. No one is forcing you to buy and take part in the beta. 

Get a refund if it annoys you that much 

Or dont

But complaining about something which has already been confirmed as a bug is silly. They're not going to fix it before v1 so move on with your life

I haven't complained about it,  I'm taking an issue with you telling people to stop moaning after they paid for a game only to find out there is a game breaking bug which wasn't announced until a player found it.

You do realise SI was not the ones to announce it? Do you not see a problem with that? How is a customer find a huge issue with the game before the devs? It only took someone simming a few seasons to notice the flaw. What is the point of paid testers if they are going to miss the obvious big bugs

Just now, angelo994 said:

Complaining about it is the exact point of this thread. With enough people speaking up & sharing their experiences is why we are all here. 

No its not, its a feedback thread of which, the feedback for the issue with developing attributes has been fed back. Repeatedly

What do you think is going to happen? Mile is going to read this thread over his morning coffee and be like 'You know what, the first 300 comments about the exact same thing didn't do it for me but this 301st same comment has made up my mind.'

3 minutes ago, we88y said:

I haven't heard anything about this for FM23 - is it fixed this year or swept under the carpet?

It was FM22 - it was broken and never fixed. 

People are way to quick to say this is a BETA but in reality some things are never fixed 

2 minutes ago, angelo994 said:

Complaining about it is the exact point of this thread. 

It's not really, it's about constructive feedback

Yes, there's an issue, yes, it's been reported. There's not a lot else to say about it  

Just now, Ferocious289 said:

I haven't complained about it,  I'm taking an issue with you telling people to stop moaning after they paid for a game only to find out there is a game breaking bug which wasn't announced until a player found it.

You do realise SI was not the ones to announce it? Do you not see a problem with that? How is a customer find a huge issue with the game before the devs? It only took someone simming a few seasons to notice the flaw. What is the point of paid testers if they are going to miss the obvious big bugs

Do I not see a problem with SI not announcing a bug for a beta? No I dont

Because its a beta

If it was a final release id say you have a point. But as its not a final release, it is in fact a beta therefor I have no complaints over it. 

1 minute ago, allyc31 said:

No its not, its a feedback thread of which, the feedback for the issue with developing attributes has been fed back. Repeatedly

What do you think is going to happen? Mile is going to read this thread over his morning coffee and be like 'You know what, the first 300 comments about the exact same thing didn't do it for me but this 301st same comment has made up my mind.'

Why are you so annoyed by this? Its a feedback thread yes. People are giving feedback. Honestly your comment isn’t really adding to the thread. People, like myself are unhappy with such a massive bug being in the game. It’s a real shame. Everyone is within their right here to give their feedback. 

1 minute ago, angelo994 said:

Why are you so annoyed by this? Its a feedback thread yes. People are giving feedback. Honestly your comment isn’t really adding to the thread. People, like myself are unhappy with such a massive bug being in the game. It’s a real shame. Everyone is within their right here to give their feedback. 

Im so annoyed because some of the hot takes by people on this thread. hot takes like 'It should have been fixed' and 'why didn't qa find this' 

There is a quite clear undercurrent of questioning peoples ability to do their job when the people complaining on this thread don't have the first clue about developing software

The *constant*, and it is constant at this point discussion around the same thing will only stop other issues from being surfaced. 

No one forced anyone to pay money for this. Go get a refund and wait to see if the issue is fixed in v1

Also I’d just like to point out that I’ve have tried to be as balanced & unbiased as I can. I’ve already talked about the match engine & how much I’ve enjoyed it. Some of the movements & chaos of the ball has been so fun to play. But  I feel like if we can’t even give our feedback here, then really. What is the point?

Just now, westy8chimp said:

For those saying the ME is the best ever - is this because it is playing out your tactics/instructions better than ever, or purely from a UI perspective (player/ball movement/actions)? 

[have not pre purchased] 

Honestly is a combination of both. I feel I’m really getting what I want out of my team tactically. Much more so than previous FMs. And also the actual in game matches being more chaotic & unpredictable.

Also I’d just like to point out that I’ve have tried to be as balanced & unbiased as I can. I’ve already talked about the match engine & how much I’ve enjoyed it. Some of the movements & chaos of the ball has been so fun to play. But  I feel like if we can’t even give our feedback here, then really. What is the point?

You absolutely can give feedback but from looking at your post history you have gave it 6 times on the same issue. 

What do you think the other 5 comments are going to achieve?

1 minute ago, allyc31 said:

You absolutely can give feedback but from looking at your post history you have gave it 6 times on the same issue. 

What do you think the other 5 comments are going to achieve?

Okay guys. We need to get the memo here. We can only ever talk about an issue once. Everyone got it?

No one is stopping you from giving a feedback, there is a difference between giving feedback and complaining.

feedback is “if played for x amount of time and I’ve noticed y, I don’t think A should be happening so I’ve reported it as a bug”

complaining is “I’ve been playing this game from the first championship manager and I’m really disappointed with the game this year, they’ve not fixed an issue that has been there for 20 years” 

You notice how in the first one, specific issues are pointed out while in the later it’s just a random statement that means nothing 

3 minutes ago, Meraklija Vujevic said:

Another example of poor defending!

46 goals conceded and easy title win without any transfers.

Ice hockey results !

unknown-24.png

Ice hockey results? In your own screenshot my friend you have a matchday with 9 goals scored across 8 matches ffs. Like roughly one goal per match. 

Why are we gatekeeping feedback now? Come on man what is this??

I mean, ive already explained the thought process behind what im saying as well as a few other people. 

If you really want to sit in a complaining bubble where you can all go over and over about who is more outraged by a bug being in a beta, may I suggest creating a topic for it

That way you can keep all of it in one thread that the rest of us can ignore and focus and this thread can go back to focusing on more than one piece of feedback

1 hour ago, angelo994 said:

Honestly I have to disagree with regards to the Beta excuse. This is not some minor bug. This is a fundamental, huge & gamebreaking bug. How can we as consumers & fans of the game be okay with spending £30 (a fair price I must admit for the hours we put into the game), while SI seemingly sell us a game with such a massive issue. It just seems so unethical to me. Do SI even have QA testers, or is that our job??

It doesn't matter if you agree or not - what you've bought is not the final product and SI never claimed it was. Be happy that they're aware of the issue and most likely are working on a fix. As others have said, it's a BETA version - bugs are to be expected, both small and big. If you don't like that, don't buy/play the BETA. If the problem isn't fixed in the "final" release (later patches *will* come, like always I guess), then you have every right to complain.

9 minutes ago, allyc31 said:

Im so annoyed because some of the hot takes by people on this thread. hot takes like 'It should have been fixed' and 'why didn't qa find this' 

There is a quite clear undercurrent of questioning peoples ability to do their job when the people complaining on this thread don't have the first clue about developing software

The *constant*, and it is constant at this point discussion around the same thing will only stop other issues from being surfaced. 

No one forced anyone to pay money for this. Go get a refund and wait to see if the issue is fixed in v1

Again - take FM22 for example where LT saves were effected by older players being hoarded and youth being ignored and dyanmic youth ratings being broken. Both never fixed. I think it was FM17 or 18 where crossing was broken. Didnt matter what you asked for whipped or low or floated, they were ignored.

THIS IS THE ISSUE. Massive bugs not fixed. Resources taken away to start the next game. Things added that dont work in the edition its announced with but fixed in the following edition. 

Why do you have such lower standards for SI? If there is a game breaking bug like youth development they need to communicate this to the community and give a commitment to fix it.

I bring forward evidence of issues not being fixed, you bring nothing. Embarrassing 

To finish the point I made earlier, if you think something isn’t working as it should and you have ideas on how to improve it, take time, write it out and send it to SI. It’s very easy to point out things that don’t work. For example I’ve seen a few comments of people unhappy with the UI yet I’ve never seen any suggestions on how to make it better.

We all want a better game at the end of the day and it’s all our responsibility to make that happen and not the devs alone 

How about the MLS not working then. I seem to remember SI talking about improvements made to the way the MLS works. But the AI is as wonky as ever. The same issues with teams signing players for transfer fees, then immediately waivering them so they are available on a free transfer is still present. With the lack of real features announced I really thoughts we would get a more polished version this year. 

28 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

It was FM22 - it was broken and never fixed. 

People are way to quick to say this is a BETA but in reality some things are never fixed 

What about regens was broken in FM22? I haven't played in a while, but I don't remember anything out of the ordinary regarding regens. I have a lot of exceptional regens in my game.

Open up any previous FM installment and you will find bugs/broken features that are still present in FM23. 

FM22 finally fixed some glaring issues in the match engine, like the lack of central play, but that also took them multiple installments before it got adressed.

On 21/10/2022 at 17:20, diddydaddydoddy said:

There isn't anything in the DB when researching that details how many scouts you can have, so if I identify 23 that's how many I put in the game. Can you log it as a bug please - I agree with your logic on this

Thank you. I've done so. I don't have confidence that it'll be addressed in time for release but you never know 

11 minutes ago, Troels Jensen said:

What about regens was broken in FM22? I haven't played in a while, but I don't remember anything out of the ordinary regarding regens. I have a lot of exceptional regens in my game.

This was in reply to my point about the dynamic youth rating rather than newgens.

so, I pointed out the very heavily inflated interception numbers but another thing that is happening a lot is hitting the woodwork - having a lot of matches with them over the 2 seasons i've done, maybe something to tone down a touch

edit: if anyone wants evidence of the interceptions being broken compared to RL counterpart, just ask - or go on stat tracking applications (even premier league, although that one requires a calculator to figure out a teams average interceptions) and compare it to the averages in your save across all leagues - I'm personally finding averages in the 30s and 40s by November, where as real life has most teams below 15 average interceptions per 90.

Edited by Ryanonandon

1 hour ago, allyc31 said:

Guys, v1 is out in like 2 weeks. Relax. Go play fm22 for a while

Don't pre-order to get the beta next year if you don't understand the purpose of it. 

The bug has been reported and they're working on a fix.

Good grief

How can you be sure this or what will be fixed?

42 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

For those saying the ME is the best ever - is this because it is playing out your tactics/instructions better than ever, or purely from a UI perspective (player/ball movement/actions)? 

[have not pre purchased] 

Ive found the ME to be extremely all over the place. That might be a lack of understanding on my part but I personally feel I know enough about the game historically to see if Ive done something wrong, and if Im struggling I take it to Daljits discord to discuss. 

But thats my opinion as I have other people who I trust to go to for advice saying it is the best it has been. 

So its a double edged sword for me, do I need to tweak my knowledge to match this years ME or is everyone else wrong? 🤣

5 minutes ago, WelshMourinho said:

Rather frustrating that attributes have been removed from the scout report. I understand why, in terms of being more realistic in what a scout irl actually does, but this is Football Manager and not real life. No transfer on this game will ever be completed without looking at a player's attributes. This is a numbers game and acting like it isn't just doesn't fit how this game works.

I have never looked at a players avg rating at the end of the season and thought, hmm maybe he's on the decline he was average. Why? Because his attributes are still good, so it is probably a tactical error. We don't need anything from scouts other than "find me some players with some nice high numbers please." 

Sometimes I feel like this chase for realism is focused in entirely the wrong direction.

This is one of the worst changes imo. SI can say it’s more realistic. But the reality is it’s just less convenience for the player. More clicks & more menus to click through.

This is one of the worst changes imo. SI can say it’s more realistic. But the reality is it’s just less convenience for the player. More clicks & more menus to click through.

This is on my list as something I’m hoping to be able to skin back in 😁

One of the little annoyances still there, that I've fallen foul of again. When you go to 'clear cache' when installing skins etc, why oh why is the restore defaults option immediately above that? One misclick later and all my squad views, skin attribute colours, levels have all reset to default. It doesn't even give you a warning pop up when you click it. First world problems in the grand scheme of things, but intensely annoying nonetheless. 

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

One of the little annoyances still there, that I've fallen foul of again. When you go to 'clear cache' when installing skins etc, why oh why is the restore defaults option immediately above that? One misclick later and all my squad views, skin attribute colours, levels have all reset to default. It doesn't even give you a warning pop up when you click it. First world problems in the grand scheme of things, but intensely annoying nonetheless. 

God yes. As a skin creator I hit this button A LOT!

Played about half a season with Birmingham City so feel like I am finally in a place to give some feedback.

Now I don't want SI or anyone else to see this as a dig, as it isn't intended that way, but I feel that this years iteration is probably the most underwhelming for some time. FYI I play my matches on commentary only as I am a busy Dad these days so try to get through as many seasons as I can in as short a time possible, so match engine changes I can't really comment on, the rest of you are doing a good job of that. Squad planner is inferior to the squad depth of previous versions in my opinion. It just looks messy to me and although I like the concept (works nicely in the MLB The Show games if anyone plays those) I don't think it has been well executed.

The new agent discussion options and press conference questions are much of a muchness, there is only so much you can do with that and only so many times you can see the new options before you are bored of them like all the other questions.

The new scouting also, whilst I like the concept, still seems a bit messy. Maybe I am just not used to it yet but despite giving pretty clear and simple instructions my scouts come back with very limited offerings. Maybe as I get more used to it I will appreciate it a bit more.

I do like the new matchday graphics, looks really nice for the Championship and Carabao Cup, well done on that one SI. If I ever make it to the champions league I am sure that looks good too. But overall I genuinely could be just playing FM22 still ,there is that little difference between this years and last. 

My final say, which I have said before and about many different games not just FM, I truly believe that sports games should work in 2 year cycles. First year is big, updated features, maybe new graphics, animations all that jazz and you pay full price for the game, 2nd year is updated database, kits, leagues etc and you charge a reduced amount (say £15 for football manager). Probably will never happen as it isn't a viable business plan for someone like SI, but it could be something to think about in order to get truly updated versions rather than re-skinning an existing feature or changing a green apple for a red apple (same thing just looks different).

As always I am enjoying the game, I always do enjoy Football Manager and value for money it is probably my best purchase year in year out given how much I play it. 

Keep having fun everyone, and all the best!

14 minutes ago, callamity said:

Ive found the ME to be extremely all over the place. That might be a lack of understanding on my part but I personally feel I know enough about the game historically to see if Ive done something wrong, and if Im struggling I take it to Daljits discord to discuss. 

But thats my opinion as I have other people who I trust to go to for advice saying it is the best it has been. 

So its a double edged sword for me, do I need to tweak my knowledge to match this years ME or is everyone else wrong? 🤣

It's definitely very different to FM22. I think there's still several areas that need bugs squashing/tightening up, but you'll need to approach things a little differently imo. The AI play with much better structure and role choice, particularly in midfield (FM22 they would be very aggressive with midfield choices which meant you could exploit the space between MC and DC). Feels like the have got the importance of pivots nailed in the game. Also mentality choice feels even more about risk management than anything else, which makes it easier to use , but also, needs relabelling. Feels extremely responsive to instruction, pressing traps and OIs, if you've got them right, they are brilliant for you, if not, or if the AI is moving you about, you'll feel it. AI feels more dynamic 

8 minutes ago, csw4228 said:

There is a significant error regarding the number of dribbles in the current game.

Right full-backs currently have the highest number of dribbles in all leagues in the game.

Nonsense. In fact, you can feel that the dribbling success rate of fullbacks is high in the in-game match engine.

I don't understand why wingers and strikers dribble less than fullbacks.

I think this problem is basically due to the lack of dribbling of the winger and striker.

4.PNG

3.PNG

2.PNG

1.PNG

This is interesting. I’ve noticed my right backs playing really well. Usually one of, if not my top performers. But it might be more to do with a bug rather than my genius tactics. 

Edited by angelo994

2 hours ago, we88y said:

Personally, I feel it's completely pointless to play the Beta with the current development bug as there is no point carrying on a save like I normally would into the main game. So despite spending my money I'm twiddling my thumbs until November 8th.

If they release a hot fix soon they will still have a good few weeks of proper beta testing on working databases, fingers crossed.

I've been a big supporter of SI and the game they produce each year, having bought and played hundreds or thousands of hours each year since I was a child. I've stuck up for them when others have said the games are the same each year but we are definitely at a point where the features aren't adding much and in some cases are actually making the game more tedious.

Looking at the new features for this year's game I think these are how I'd look at them after a few days of getting a few months into a save and starting again.

Headline Features

Squad Planner - Downgrade on squad depth screen but adds the scouting stuff in a different place. Was excited for this feature but in reality it does nothing better so I won't use it.
Smarter AI Opponents - Literally haven't noticed this at all.
Champions League License - Nice to have but certainly not a feature. Pleased its in the game.
Supporter Confidence - This appears to be an artificial feature, one that adds a screen to look at but doesn't give you any real compelling reasons to check it.
Manager Timeline - I haven't found this feature yet, maybe I haven't played far enough.

The features then revealed in the FMFC blog from Miles are just nice little quality of life updates but not really anything important.

There are some aspects of the game that really need some work though and in my opinion here are a few of them.

UI Redesign - This is long overdue and the more stuff that gets added just makes it worse
Improvement to transfer/loan negotiation (to make it less predictable e.g Offer £2m - Team wants £4m = £3m agreed fee. Same every year)
Training revamp - current training is so tedious to set up and manage.. and then I have to go and praise/criticise all players one by one... Like why can't I just set my coaches to praise everything over an 8?
Graphics - Haven't got an issue with the graphical fidelity personally but I do have an issue with the lighting, pitch textures and stadium designs. Simple stuff that makes a big difference but just requires a little bit of effort.
Attribute Masking - This takes far too long to actually unmask in my opinion and in a silly way. As an example:  you can get a player on trial that is a winger yet one of the last things to unmask is the crossing ability? Like after 2 weeks of training you can't tell me if he's got 10 for crossing or 14???? in real life you would know if someone was bang average or a decent crosser within a training session or two but I wouldn't necessarily know his penalty taking ability etc.

There's probably more to be honest but those are a couple of my biggest gripes on things that just seem to continuously get ignored.

Somewhere in the last few years, I think SI has lost its way a little. This is the first time I've considered going back to a previous game for the foreseeable future.

Home ... My history ...manager timeline