*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, angelo994 said:

So SI intentionally released a gamebreaking bug fully aware of it? That seems highly unethical to me. 

You'd be right if it was the full release and not the beta. 

1 minute ago, angelo994 said:

So SI intentionally released a gamebreaking bug fully aware of it? That seems highly unethical to me. 

They didnt release the game yet, the actual game comes out in November, if it isnt fixed by then complain about it, sure.

But

This is BETA, this is where bugs are supposed to be found, if you dont want to play BETA, test it and report bugs dont.

Honestly I have to disagree with regards to the Beta excuse. This is not some minor bug. This is a fundamental, huge & gamebreaking bug. How can we as consumers & fans of the game be okay with spending £30 (a fair price I must admit for the hours we put into the game), while SI seemingly sell us a game with such a massive issue. It just seems so unethical to me. Do SI even have QA testers, or is that our job??

I agree with your previous posts. 

To me the game is about the match engine, good AI and making sure newgens/development work properly. All to make sure you can play the game for more than a couple of season. If these things fail, any long term game beyond two or three season become a total fail. Stuff like manager avatar, social feeds, press conferences etc is just tiny sprinkles on a massive cake. 

Its like having an adventure/rpg game where only the prologue of the game is good and it goes downhill after that. 

I REALLY hope SI from now on will emphasise on the foundations of the game and making them as good as possible. Im pretty sure many will agree with me. 

Edited by Tjorven

2 minutes ago, angelo994 said:

Honestly I have to disagree with regards to the Beta excuse. This is not some minor bug. This is a fundamental, huge & gamebreaking bug. How can we as consumers & fans of the game be okay with spending £30 (a fair price I must admit for the hours we put into the game), while SI seemingly sell us a game with such a massive issue. It just seems so unethical to me. Do SI even have QA testers, or is that our job??

SI have both internal and external test teams that will have been looking at this before, during and after beta. I don't disagree that it's a big issue but that means that more time and care is needed to fix it. It won't be a 5 minute job. They'll have to work on the problem, test it, do some more work, test it again and when they're happy with it release the fix. 

2 minutes ago, angelo994 said:

Yes it is our job as we are participating in the beta. If you dont want to participate in the beta dont buy the game until full release.

The SI team are probably not happy that such a big issue found its way into the public beta but sadly these things do happen and thats what the beta is for. As long as this is fixed before the full release then I have no problem. Yes the internal QA testers should have picked up on it but they didnt, which is exactly what a public beta is for to help out the QA process.

If the bug persits into the full release then by all means sharpen the pitchforks and light the torches but until then lets just let the beta do its thing.

52 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Spotting something is very different to spotting, investigating, making changes, running tests, making more changes, more tests.

It was spotted - SI indicated it was a known issue. They're working on it already. :thup:

I feel like it should have been mentioned before the BETA released. I wouldn't have bought the BETA if I realised the bug existed, as I can't play the game how I want to play it with this bug.

As a result I've not played FM at all despite getting it on Thursday.

2 hours ago, trevjim said:

SI. Realism does not always equal fun.

Squad depth was so much better than squad planner. All that was needed was to make it customizable. I miss it and squad planner is a conveluted mess. Please bring the squad depth tab back. What's the point in spending ages implementing these squad plans for 2 seasons away when it changes so much each season anyway. Once glance at squad depth is all we really need.

The UI is full of so many clicks and info and menus etc. We play the game for transfers and Tactics, not clicks. I like the fact that you make certain areas of the ui accessible from other areas now, but in all honesty as a whole it's a mess.

Media and player interactions are such a chore and so repetitive. I get maybe that's realistic, but this is a game. Not to mention how broken they are. I told my CB who scored 2 goal in the previous game that his performance was great. He then got angry and stormed off because he didn't think so....

I along with many others just send our Ass man to them now.

These player and media interactions were added to the game to increase immersion but actually detract from it by being so tedious and broken.

Match engine is still broken. All the usual tactics from previous versions are still meta. The new "low block" and attack through the centre promises don't exist.

Graphics. I don't care all that much for them, but they are tragically bad. There are mobile games with better graphics. It's 2022 and games from 2005 look better. I get you are worried about alienating areas of the user base without the hardware, but just make the graphics more customisable so they run better. Eg low settings or just 2D only for low hardware specs. It feels like you are using the "players don't have good pcs" as an excused to ignore it.

Scouting. Maybe it's just me but it's just a mess. There so many tabs and assignments here there and everywhere. I think the way it was done years ago was better.

Training, Set pieces. Why have these not been touched? Please give us a genuine reason as these are the biggest demands of the fans every year. I can only think that Set pieces are ignored because you are worried if you give the players too much control, they will then exploit the engine?

AI squad building.  This is still as awful as ever. Arsenal will spend £50m on a player and play him 10 times in 4 seasons. Again it seems like this has had no work. AI also low balls the user for offers.

Pros? The CL license has been implemented well. This is what we want. Immersion without it being a chore. 

Everything here is spot on, its another total con by SI, just another reface of already present features to sell the game. Utter shambles. 

3 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

I feel like it should have been mentioned before the BETA released. I wouldn't have bought the BETA if I realised the bug existed, as I can't play the game how I want to play it with this bug.

As a result I've not played FM at all despite getting it on Thursday.

They did, there's a known issue list in each section of the bug tracker. In this case: 

3 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

That is your personal opinion, to you it’s gamebreaking. However this is the beta. At this point “game breaking bugs” from some peoples perspective can happen. If it is serious then it could be patched before the official release date.  You are free to claim it’s unethical, and can even contemplate legal action if you think you are right. At the end of the day it’s only your opinion. And unless your opinion can transform magically into a majority opinion, you will have to wait till Nov 8. I am frustrated too, but I never take the beta period seriously. From Nov 8 that’s a different story.

I agree with you mate. And no I don’t plan legal action lol. It’s just frustrating. Extremely frustrating as I’ve actually been enjoying the game. Like I said, the match engine is a true pleasure to play in my experience. Like many have said, this is the Beta period. But I am fully within my right to complain about it here. 

3 minutes ago, styluz05 said:

Couldn't find anywhere on Steam to get a refund am I being blind? I've refunded games previously. 

Go to the games page on your library. Support -> Gameplay or technical issue -> pick any option -> Id like to request a refund.

Will only work if you have less than 2 hours playtime

Squad depth was so much better than squad planner. All that was needed was to make it customizable. I miss it and squad planner is a conveluted mess. Please bring the squad depth tab back. What's the point in spending ages implementing these squad plans for 2 seasons away when it changes so much each season anyway. Once glance at squad depth is all we really need.

The UI is full of so many clicks and info and menus etc. We play the game for transfers and Tactics, not clicks. I like the fact that you make certain areas of the ui accessible from other areas now, but in all honesty as a whole it's a mess.

Media and player interactions are such a chore and so repetitive. I get maybe that's realistic, but this is a game. Not to mention how broken they are. I told my CB who scored 2 goal in the previous game that his performance was great. He then got angry and stormed off because he didn't think so....

These player and media interactions were added to the game to increase immersion but actually detract from it by being so tedious and broken.

Match engine is still broken. All the usual tactics from previous versions are still meta. The new "low block" and attack through the centre promises don't exist.

Graphics. I don't care all that much for them, but they are tragically bad. There are mobile games with better graphics. It's 2022 and games from 2005 look better. I get you are worried about alienating areas of the user base without the hardware, but just make the graphics more customisable so they run better. Eg low settings or just 2D only for low hardware specs. It feels like you are using the "players don't have good pcs" as an excused to ignore it.

Scouting. Maybe it's just me but it's just a mess. There so many tabs and assignments here there and everywhere. I think the way it was done years ago was better.

Training, Set pieces. Why have these not been touched? Please give us a genuine reason as these are the biggest demands of the fans every year. I can only think that Set pieces are ignored because you are worried if you give the players too much control, they will then exploit the engine?

AI squad building.  This is still as awful as ever. Arsenal will spend £50m on a player and play him 10 times in 4 seasons. Again it seems like this has had no work. AI also low balls the user for offers.

Pros? The CL license has been implemented well. This is what we want. Immersion without it being a chore. 

I have to agree everything in the ui seems convoluted, the squad planner seesm very comestic and pointless and scouting is all over the place.,  press conferences and meetings are a chore and noticed AI transfers and bids they offer you are just as bad as fm22

I said it before besides the M.E which I don't think is broken besides defenders not being able to deal with long balls over the top, everything else looks like a reskin that could have been a dlc. Jumping from fm21 to fm22 I felt like i was playing a different game. Going from fm22 to fm23 I feel like I'm playing the same game with two new menus added,  squad planner and supporter confidence which don't really add anything of substance to the game, and more inbox and meetings to where I feel like I'm working rather than playing a game to have fun

The pitches all look like a bright green carpet. I've seen one which is a sandy pitch, but then that's it, I don't see what's so hard about making the grass have different textures, depth and realism to it

Man, you’ve hit the nail on the head with everything you’ve said. 

How can you praise a player for something and then they end up being angry because of it? It’s madness. Been like this forever too. 

11 minutes ago, Slippy_ said:

Go to the games page on your library. Support -> Gameplay or technical issue -> pick any option -> Id like to request a refund.

Will only work if you have less than 2 hours playtime

Thank you, bugger, gone past the 2hr mark :( 

What’s funny to me about this comment is that everyone wants to pick and choose when there should be realism and when there should be “fun”.

Now I agree that it’s a video game and there should be an element of fun but at the same time people went on an on about immersion when talking about the graphics and other things in the game because they want to feel like real manages watching a real football match.

6 minutes ago, nb9 said:

Being brutally honest, I wish I could refund the game and get my money back. 

I have owned every FM since 2007 and rarely had a complaint but this edition is unacceptable. Not one of the new “features” have improved the game - and BASIC issues that have chipped away at the player base for years and years now have not been fixed.

The game menus / UI have become unplayable, and are the cause of building on top of the same skin for 15 years. It needs a NEW and fresh look from the bottom up. You can click on any of the tabs on the left of the screen, and when you go on the page you will be presented with another 5+ tabs on the page with information which you really don’t care about. It is SO cluttered, and the default skin doesn’t even work with half the stuff within the game. I find myself doing more admin work in FM then I do in my actual job.

SI need a refresh from the very top, or at the very least they should be listening to the player base that will continue to buy the game no matter what because like myself, we love the game. New creative direction needed that caters for the demands of the player base.

And I am already guessing based on previous versions next years main feature will be the woman’s database - which is just adding another league.

You do reliase this is a Beta version . The game hasnt been released yet 

This is certainly annecdotal due to the lack of data and im also aware because of that, I bet this comes up all the time in the beta feedback threads

With that said, it feels like the injuries are perhaps slightly too frequent currently? Not only that but also quite aggressive in their nature. 

Also, just wanna add as a QA engineer myself

1. This is a beta
  2. Making software is extremely hard
  3. This is a beta
  4. THIS IS A BETA

1 minute ago, alian62 said:

You do reliase this is a Beta version . The game hasnt been released yet 

Nothing in my post is referring to any bugs. Unless they play on completely releasing a completely new menu system on release then all of my points stand.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

Spotting something is very different to spotting, investigating, making changes, running tests, making more changes, more tests.

It was spotted - SI indicated it was a known issue. They're working on it already. :thup:

This issue is, this is a game breaking bug. No two ways about it. It was identified by one person just simulatingthe game within 48 hours of Beta. This brings into question two things

1. SI didnt know that this was a bug which brings into question the level of quality control SI are conducting to miss something by simply simulating the game. I highly doubt this is the case
  2. More probable is that SI knew about the bug but never communicated this with the community. 

My favourite part of the game is developing youth. AS it stands the game is broken if my players dont develop realistically. Ive paid money for a game that doesnt work. If i had known this was a bug i wouldnt of preordered and i certainly wouldnt of bought it if it was still there when the game releases. 

Thats how business works. You deliver a subpar product i get the opportunity to walk away. 

Feel like there has been a youth bug every year. 

1 minute ago, DarJ said:

What’s funny to me about this comment is that everyone wants to pick and choose when there should be realism and when there should be “fun”.

Now I agree that it’s a video game and there should be an element of fun but at the same time people went on an on about immersion when talking about the graphics and other things in the game because they want to feel like real manages watching a real football match.

If they are going to have convolted meetings, player interaction, scouting, planning, hiring staff then there should be an equal level of immersion in seeing the outcome of your choices represented efficientely through the graphical engine to make it rewarding.

57 minutes ago, roykela said:

They are working on a fix. Beta.....The game isn't finished yet.

The hording of older players and ignoring youth in FM22 was never fixed....

They must of identified this bug awhile ago so must be working on it. If its not fixed by Beta what are the chances its fixed by release?

2 minutes ago, daveh83 said:

Is there gonna be a hot fix or are we not playing now till release

This has already been explained a few times in here- this is the Beta phase, where users can get early access to try out the game and report issues so that they can be looked at.  A hotfix will only ever be released for a problem that stops the game from running, so no there is little likelihood of a hotfix.

1 hour ago, angelo994 said:

While I really am grateful that SI have acknowledged & are working on it. Quite honestly, my point still stands. How was something like this missed by QA testers? It’s something every YouTuber has easily been able to test by simulating forward 100 years for example. Especially as something similar happened last year with similar player development bugs. It’s just a massive shame tbh. 

The end-customer is the tester. Every year is the same story. They change the interface a bit, adding more clicks to get the info you want and announce it as a headline feature. You can achieve the same by yourself with a new skin I suppose. Yet people buy the game blindly every year. The only solution to change something is to stop buying the game. They never listen to players. Just take a quick look at the feature requests forum and you'll reach the same conclusion.

2 minutes ago, daveh83 said:

Is there gonna be a hot fix or are we not playing now till release

Personally I don’t think I can play until there is a hotfix out. It’s too much of a game breaking bug to spend time getting invested in a save. Regardless of the fact if it is a Beta save or not. If players technical attributes don’t improve, it just takes out too much of the game I enjoy (developing players). A real shame. 

5 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

The hording of older players and ignoring youth in FM22 was never fixed....

They must of identified this bug awhile ago so must be working on it. If its not fixed by Beta what are the chances its fixed by release?

Can't speak for others but i didn't notice a problem with that in my game. That is not the same as me saying it did not exist.
Because i certainly do know it existed. I was probably lucky. But up 'til 2050 it was fine here.

What are the chances? I don't know. Time will tell if it's fixed or not.
Maybe it's far away from being fixed properly or maybe it has already been fixed. I'm sure we'll get a better idea when the game is fully released.

7 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

The end-customer is the tester.

When choosing to purchase the Beta and play it, then yes. That is absolutely true.
It's the purpose of it. The choice of acquiring an unfinished game for the purpose of testing.

6 minutes ago, angelo994 said:

Personally I don’t think I can play until there is a hotfix out. It’s too much of a game breaking bug to spend time getting invested in a save. Regardless of the fact if it is a Beta save or not. If players technical attributes don’t improve, it just takes out too much of the game I enjoy (developing players). A real shame. 

Yes, the issue is not good for long term saves but as said many times, this is the Beta phase. It's not really the time for long term serious saves, it's about playing around and finding as much broken stuff as you can 

Just now, roykela said:

Can't speak for others but i didn't notice a problem with that in my game. That is not the same as me saying it did not exist.
Because i certainly do know it existed. I was probably lucky. But up 'til 2050 it was fine here.

What are the chances? I don't know. Time will tell if it's fixed or not.
Maybe it's far away from being fixed properly or maybe it has already been fixed. I'm sure we'll get a better idea when the game is fully released.

Ok what about dynamic youth ratings? Another major issue for long term saves

Do you not see the issue here. I have no doubt SI have identified this bug in advance of the BETA. The question is, will they fix it? 

Ive paid my money and if it isnt fixed i have a broken game for which im out of pocket for.

Ive given you two examples of SI not fixing issues. Youre blindly saying itll be fixed. If its been fixed, communicate that to us. Communicate to us if its still being fixed at launch. Make a commitment for it to be fixed. BUt they wont, the will start on FM24 and if its not fixed by winter, its not going to be fixed.

Maybe hold SI to a higher standard? 

1 minute ago, allyc31 said:

Guys, v1 is out in like 2 weeks. Relax. Go play fm22 for a while

Don't pre-order to get the beta next year if you don't understand the purpose of it. 

The bug has been reported and they're working on a fix.

Good grief

I think you're missing the point. People are aggreived because there is a game breaking bug which stops your players developing whihc is a fundemental part of football manager, training and developing players. People are saying it should have been tested, found earlier and announced it publicly so people had a choice to make before deciding to pre-order.

Keep in my mind SI didn't not come out an announce it even though they claim they already knew about, a gamer had to come out and reveal it to the public.

Just now, Ferocious289 said:

I think you're missing the point. People are aggreived because there is a game breaking bug which stops your players developing whihc is a fundemental part of football manager, training and developing players. People are saying it should have been tested, found earlier and announced it publicly so people had a choice to make before deciding to pre-order.

Keep in my mind SI didn't not come out an announce it even though they claim they already knew about, a gamer had to come out and reveal it to the public.

Im really not missing the point. Its a beta. You either understand that or you don't. No one is forcing you to buy and take part in the beta. 

Get a refund if it annoys you that much 

Or dont

But complaining about something which has already been confirmed as a bug is silly. They're not going to fix it before v1 so move on with your life

2 minutes ago, Just4Downloads said:

I mean…he’s not wrong. Has there been even a 1% improvement in graphics from FM22? Not from what I’ve seen in pictures/videos. I haven’t purchased, so I rely on the feedback in here/Reddit/Twitter. 

Would love to start a lower league save, but the stadiums teams currently have in those divisions is immersion breaking for me. Was desperate to see an improvement this year. 

Hes extremely wrong. One is an on rails shooter with an estimated budget of $250 million quid and one is a complex management sim ffs

4 minutes ago, allyc31 said:

Im really not missing the point. Its a beta. You either understand that or you don't. No one is forcing you to buy and take part in the beta. 

Get a refund if it annoys you that much 

Or dont

But complaining about something which has already been confirmed as a bug is silly. They're not going to fix it before v1 so move on with your life

Complaining about it is the exact point of this thread. With enough people speaking up & sharing their experiences is why we are all here. 

Edited by angelo994

7 minutes ago, we88y said:

Attribute Masking - This takes far too long to actually unmask in my opinion and in a silly way. As an example:  you can get a player on trial that is a winger yet one of the last things to unmask is the crossing ability? Like after 2 weeks of training you can't tell me if he's got 10 for crossing or 14???? in real life you would know if someone was bang average or a decent crosser within a training session or two but I wouldn't necessarily know his penalty taking ability etc.

Actually I am finding my scouts are way faster at unmasking attributes in FM23 than in FM21 (I didnt play FM22, only buy every few years). In fact prior to getting my hands on FM23 I was seriously considering switching to remove attribute masking for my saves but now I might keep it on.

Just a thought for those who are struggling with UI.

Every year there are multiple skins created that can completely change the feel of the UI. You think space is being wasted on certain screens? A skin can sort that out. Want more info on certain screens? A skin can do that. You can even change how the game plays by removing certain “features”. Like removing attributes and the star system. You can remove player search functions - for a more challenging/immersive experience etc/for example.

You may ask why SI doesn’t just implement these things themselves but over the years the skinning community has created so many wonderful adaptations to the base UI, all fairly varied, that I truly believe SI create a basic UI so that it can be relatively easily adapted to suit personal taste.

If you have never played the game with a custom skin I highly recommend you give it a go. You’ll be amazed at how beautiful and unique and personal you can make the game function and look.

Unless you’re doing it yourself, of course you may have to wait a while for skins to be produced. But it’s so easy to download and install a skin that issues being raised about UI can, and are, nearly always sorted out by using custom skins.