"£x after x games" transfer clause

Hi,

Does the "£x after x games" transfer clause affect a clubs transfer budget? For example, if I were to offer £500k up front and £500k after 50 games for a player, would the second £500k just come out of the clubs overall balance if/when the player in question reached the 50 games mark?

It would come out of both your transfer and overall budget, on the day that the player reaches 50 games played. You might be lucky and it might take 3 years for him to reach that number, but it might only take 1 year. You could always sell him when he's played 49 games, and save yourself £500k, but that's cheating :p

An unusually intelligent question for a first post! Welcome!

I've always wondered how clauses get factored into things, especially since I never seemed to be able to get bids with such clauses accepted in FM08 so I could never really test it.

It seems a bit of a loophole for your transfer budget though if you can get bids accepted with low upfront fees and big payments based on number of games or goals or promotion. I guess since we, as manager, are held responsible for any financial mess we get the club into it's fair enough though!

I've got into a bit of a deep hole with the payments over 24 months (of which only half come off your transfer budget right away) in the past so clause payments have even more potential to cause a mess if they are sensible clauses.

What if you didn't have £500k left in your transfer budget when the player reached 50 games?

It just gets put down to £0

I don't think it goes negative in the background, meaning that when you receive transfer fees they don't go onto your budget, but I imagine your % of revenue retained will drop if you get into a situation like that (as I have with the whole 24 months payments in the past)

Hmmm, it seems slightly less appealing if it has the potential to impact upon future transfer budgets (if it is a sensible clause).

Is the same true of the transfer clauses that you inherit when you take over a club? Could I suddenly see my transfer budget slashed by a deal that was made before I took over?

I suppose the message is never spend beyond your means! Easier said than done though when your (broke) owners expect a top half finish with a decidely average (and seemingly perpetually injured) squad...

In the Finances -> Transfers tab there will be a list of future transfer fees and clauses including both before you arrived and after so they should all affect your transfer budget if it is implemented correctly.

It was a little buggy in FM08 though - at Werder Bremen I was still paying a portion of the wages of a player whom I sold, but then he was sold again and I was still paying a portion of his wages...maybe that is accurate, but I'd have assumed that it only lasted until his contract was up with the club I sold him to rather than if they sold him quickly!

As far as I know, things work like this:

- If you offer a fixed amount, it's taken both from your transfer budget when confirmed and from your bank account when it actually happens.

- If you offer a fixed amount to be payed, say, in the next 12 months, it's taken from your transfer budget instantly (all of it), but it comes out of your bank account on a month per month basis, which will help poorer teams avoid the red numbers periods.

- If you offer a fixed amount of money to be payed during the next 24 months, then only HALF OF IT (the part corresponding to this year's transfer budget) is taken out of your transfer budget, while the other 'half' would be taken from next year's budget. This theoretically allows you to sign players for double the value of your transfer budget, as I've been doing for years in all previous versions of FM :D The money is accordingly payed on a month by month basis from your bank account.

- As far as I know, when you offer variable amounts of money (after matches played, after goals scored, X per match played, etc.) you can offer stupid amounts of money way above your current transfer budget, and the board will allow you to do so (based on the fact that it may never happen). However, there's some kind of limit I guess, because a team with a bank balance of 2M € won't be allowed to offer a 50M clause after 10 matches played... but I'm not sure where the limit is. In this case, if the clause finally comes to happen, then the money is taken from your transfer budget instantly, leaving it at 0 if you don't have enough budget to afford the payment I believe. But of course, it will also be withdrawn from your bank account, and it could instantly make you go into red numbers if there wasn't enough money to cope with it.

So yes, it's possible to overspend. However, sometimes it's necessary to do so if you really want to progress towards your team's objectives with really poor clubs.

I'm the kind of manager that causes its team to be -10M red in the bank account often. But then again, I'm the kind of manager that takes a Zamora C.F. from Spanish Segunda B and, after 15 seasons (promotion to Segunda and promotion to Primera half-way), wins the Primera league, the King's Cup and the UEFA cup in the same season... so people love me :D

On FM08 I bought several rwally good players for League one Forest by offering 100,000 then 2.5 million after 50 games. I knew that if they had an outstanding season, they would be wanted by prem teams and I would have to sell anyway. I bought Lubos Kalouda for 100,000 and 5 million after 50 games. He played all season and begged to move at the end, so I sold him to Reading for 5.5 million after 43 games, making a neat profit of 5.4 million. Another player, Andriy Rusol, I did the same thing, offering roughly the same deal. After the first season, I decided he was so good I'd keep him. The board only game me 900,000 to spend, so I spent that ensuring he didn't play 50 games in the meantime. When he played the 50th game, the money went out of the teams (now healthy) bank account. Nothing more was said! It could be construed as an exploit or cheat, but if youy ask me, it's a pretty shrewd way to buy

On FM08 I bought several rwally good players for League one Forest by offering 100,000 then 2.5 million after 50 games. I knew that if they had an outstanding season, they would be wanted by prem teams and I would have to sell anyway. I bought Lubos Kalouda for 100,000 and 5 million after 50 games. He played all season and begged to move at the end, so I sold him to Reading for 5.5 million after 43 games, making a neat profit of 5.4 million. Another player, Andriy Rusol, I did the same thing, offering roughly the same deal. After the first season, I decided he was so good I'd keep him. The board only game me 900,000 to spend, so I spent that ensuring he didn't play 50 games in the meantime. When he played the 50th game, the money went out of the teams (now healthy) bank account. Nothing more was said! It could be construed as an exploit or cheat, but if youy ask me, it's a pretty shrewd way to buy

Now that is devious. Only problems I can see with that are you could theoretically bankrupt the club as with the last instance mentioned, you could grow attached to the player and end up costing you a fortune, or you could sign him on big wages then they turn out to be crap and they end up rotting in your reserves while costing you a fortune.

If you do it to a ridiculous degree you can ruin your team. With Forest, they were already tipped to win the division. Buying the players I did made it less of a gamble. Forest are quite a big team so they got plenty of money from season tickets. They had the money in the bank but were too stingey to give it to me. All I was doing was dictating terms a bit. When it comes to the should he stay or should he go decision, it should be considered 1. if he wants to stay 2. you can replace him for cheaper and better 3. there is enough money in your teams account to pay for him should you decide to keep him.

I wouldn't be irresponsible and offer 100000 and 40m after 50 games. That said, if you know you're going to sell them before 50 games and feel confident that you could sell him, there's nothing stopping you! Try it with Aguero!

• 2 months later...

I've got a Rangers save going and am intrigued by this - I have bought a player for £0 up front then £25 million over 24 months, it is November and he is joining on 1st July (end of season in England), however NOTHING has been taken from my transfer budget!! Do I need to keep some back or is it going to affect my budget in the next two years??

You could always sell him when he's played 49 games, and save yourself £500k, but that's cheating :p

Is it really cheating when real life clubs occasionally do it as well? I remember a few years ago that Rangers did exactly this with Michael Ball.

Is it really cheating when real life clubs occasionally do it as well? I remember a few years ago that Rangers did exactly this with Michael Ball.

Beat me to it!

Not sure how many games it was but Ball ended up sitting out a fair number of games. Rangers then cheekily tried to negotiate with Everton, effectively saying "if you don't negotiate on the clause, we will sell him".

They sold him to PSV!

As mentioned it can happen in real life as the Rangers example shows.

It’s a useful addition but the game needs to be carefully coded so that players can’t abuse it. AI clubs shouldn’t be accepting bids with such a low amount up front and a large fee after 50 appearances since it’s extremely unlikely the player will get to play that many games.

It’s supposed to be structured so it gives managers the chance to judge whether the player is worthwhile playing the extra games and making the additional payments. If Man Utd owed extra money after playing Ronaldo then they wouldn’t stop playing him, simply because he’s worth the extra cash. However, if Newcastle owed extra money for Xisco and decided things weren’t quite working out, they would probably be more cautious about triggering the payment clause.

Players also need to be more aware of the type of games they’re playing in as atm I don’t think too much emphasis is placed on when they play. Theoretically you could sign a player and owe the club a large fee after x league appearance but then only play the player in the Champions League, FA Cup and League cup and assuming you’re successful enough he could still manage over 20 games for the season without making a single league appearance and wouldn’t be unhappy about it.

Archived