Most Exciting And/OR Challenging League in FM

Challenging: Vanarama National League

Interesting: Uruguay (I believe that's the one where the current season winner is decided by average points from the last season or two - the format may have changed or I might be thinking of the wrong country entirely)

On 12/10/2022 at 12:03, dino88 said:

Hi guys, as FM23 (i.e. database upgrade of FM22) is approaching, I am interested to find out the most interesting and/or challenging league you've played in. 

Challenging: Brazil Serie A
Interesting: MLS

It would have been better if you had explained your reasons why those two leagued

Both: Brazil. It's interesting with the absolutely chocker block schedule and the state leagues taking up a chunk of the season too before the national league starts. It's challenging because there are a lot of strong teams, money can be tight, and you often lose your best players to Europe. Plus I apparently just suck at it. Over the last 2 FMs I've spent 7 or 8 seasons in Brazil and only won 1 Serie A title, won the Libertadores 3 times though so my teams were clearly decent.

I think it's relative to the other sides in the division too. A smaller club in the Vanarama National probably has less ground to make up Vs the bigger clubs, whereas a tiny team in Serie C in with clubs like Foggia, Messina, Catania, Palermo etc is miles behind.

There are a number of other leagues with massive differentials in club size at the lowest ends, like Spain, Turkey and Argentina.

1 hour ago, Junkhead said:

I think it's relative to the other sides in the division too. A smaller club in the Vanarama National probably has less ground to make up Vs the bigger clubs, whereas a tiny team in Serie C in with clubs like Foggia, Messina, Catania, Palermo etc is miles behind.

There are a number of other leagues with massive differentials in club size at the lowest ends, like Spain, Turkey and Argentina.

Serie D isn't worth managing in. No money in it whatsoever. 

For me the most interesting is the MLS. It has a completely different style to any other league and once you get to grips with the drafts etc its good fun. It's a true shame it has been broken in FM for years and years.

1 hour ago, KeegBCFC said:

For me the most interesting is the MLS. It has a completely different style to any other league and once you get to grips with the drafts etc its good fun. It's a true shame it has been broken in FM for years and years.

Apparently it's been improved in FM 23. I might actually try a save in MLS for the first time ever this year 

Getting into all the different contract types, roster composition rules, the SuperDraft, Waiver Draft, Expansion draft (if there is one) and all of the other crazy rules that exist in MLS, it definitely makes it interesting!

Interesting is one word for MLS in FM...

Confusing, complicated and broken are words I'd be more inclined to use.  

The figuring out and managing the salary cap, cap exemptions, DPs, Allocation Money, Trading system, International slots (including trading them), draft, etc is...interesting, complicated and/or confusing.

The real problem for me is as confusing as it is the AI, which presumably does understand all the rules, makes even worse player acquisition decisions than in "normal" leagues.  The AI clubs make very poor use of their DPs slots.  

The structural parity of the league and the difficulty having any quality squad depth (a problem IRL MLS, albeit one the recent cap rules changes are at least in part trying to address) SHOULD make for a very balanced and challenging league.  The reality is once a human player gets an understanding of the complicated rules they are at an ever greater advantage vs AI than in other leagues.  

Brazil is a good call for most challenging for reasons others have posted.  Full disclosure/confession - I've never played LOWER leagues so I can't speak on that.

For me the most interesting is Turkey, especially when not playing as one of the Big Clubs (Galatasaray, Fenerbahce, Besiktas, Trabzonspor) and trying to break into that top tier that have dominated the top of Super Lig.  I have a sentimental draw to Bursaspor who won the Super Lig once and have been in TTF 1 League (2nd division) the last few years. 

Turkey for me is an interesting, even unique mix of familiar and foreign. It's in UEFA, has a generous foreign player limits which allows access to "the usual suspects" for players AND forces you to learn a completely unfamiliar (for those who arent followers of Turkish football) player pool.   Learning about the history, culture and PASSION of Turkish football really brings playing in Turkey alive and makes it more of an RPG experience.   (Brazil and Argentina do that for me too - Alex Bellos's "futebol - The Brazilian Way of Life is one of my favorite football books and really makes playing FM in Brazil more fun for me).  

A custom, editted league I have found interesting in the past is using the Pre-Game Editor to make a "Soviet" or "Iron Curtain" league.  I haven't done that in a few years, but found it great fun.  Jonathan Wilson's excellent book Football Behind the Iron Curtain: Travels in Eastern European Football and Simon Kuiper's Football Against the Enemy were my inspiration for wanting to create and play a Soviet or Iron Curtain League (also an interest in eastern German football - Dynamo Dresden is one of my favorite non-Bundesliga saves).

44 minutes ago, DMVian said:

Where did you see that?

Here: Gameplay Upgrades | Football Manager 2023

MLS

MLS is one of the world’s most complex and interesting leagues. For FM23, we’ve made a host of tweaks to improve the experience of managing in North America and reflect real-life rule changes.

We’ve added in the new Under-22 initiative introduced by MLS in 2021. Designed to foster the growth of young players in the league and make it easier for clubs to sign them, the initiative allows you to sign three players under the age of 22 to lucrative contracts at a reduced salary cap charge.

The initiative is applicable to players on their first or second contracts, as well as international players coming into the league for the first time. Once a player finishes their contract and is renewed onto a regular MLS type contract, they’ll have a normal roster spot and their salary cap hit will adjust accordingly.

A couple of changes have also been made in regard to the way Canadian players are classified for squad registration.

MLS clubs have eight international spots available by default, although the variance in rules around permanent residence in the USA and Canada means that the American clubs can typically accommodate more internationals through them acquiring residence sooner.

This essentially put the Canadian teams at somewhat of a competitive disadvantage. In order to compensate for that, MLS have given them three extra international slots moving forward. This has been reflected in FM23 – should you manage a Canadian club in MLS, you’ll see that they have eight non-tenured international slots and an additional three ‘tenured’ spots for players who’ve been playing in the league for three years, giving a total of 11. These tenured spots are not tradeable but the non-tenured ones still are.

The second Canadian change is in relation to the way their youth players are classified. In previous editions, they were marked as internationals for US-based teams. Now, any Canadian youth player trained in the USA or Canada will be considered as domestic.

Lastly, we’ve upgraded the relevant inbox items for the December Waiver Draft to provide you with a clearer explanation of the Draft rules, the players involved and why they’ve been selected.