FM23 Headline Features Revealed

F1 Manager has an absolutely atrocious gameplay and that's coming from someone who preordered and played 20 hours in 2 days. Yes it is pretty and shiny and UI/UX are nice. But you can't have transfers until off season, upgrades are exploitable, game is too easy, tires are mostly the same(no difference between C1 and C5 tires in speed, only degradation), wets are quicker than slicks, drivers dont decline, AI doesnt use overtake ERS nor faster options for tire wear and engine wear (forgot names), they do stupid pit stops, AI doesn't respect blue flags, can't re-lap yourself under safety car, all animations are predetermined and sometimes lockups end up as animation with wheels flying off the barrier... etc

ALL essential to the gameplay. It looks pretty. But when every race is sim p1, sim p2, sim p3, get 100% driver set up due to a website (https://f1-manager-calc.vercel.app/), get screwed over in quali due to AI not letting you go on flying lap, go medium - hard with fastest options, overcut everyone, end up higher than should. End the race and develop car using custom sliders cos that's OP. Williams ends up as best team in season two.

This is not fun. I'd rather play FM with outdated graphics and gradual improvements because FM already has all the proper stuff in the game. Just need at least fifa 08 graphics. If people have potato pc let them run on 2d.

Edited by -Jef-

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, -Jef- said:

F1 Manager has an absolutely atrocious gameplay and that's coming from someone who preordered and played 20 hours in 2 days. Yes it is pretty and shiny and UI/UX are nice. But you can't have transfers until off season, upgrades are exploitable, game is too easy, tires are mostly the same(no difference between C1 and C5 tires in speed, only degradation), wets are quicker than slicks, drivers dont decline, AI doesnt use overtake ERS nor faster options for tire wear and engine wear (forgot names), they do stupid pit stops, AI doesn't respect blue flags, can't re-lap yourself under safety car, all animations are predetermined and sometimes lockups end up as animation with wheels flying off the barrier... etc

ALL essential to the gameplay. It looks pretty. But when every race is sim p1, sim p2, sim p3, get 100% driver set up due to a website (https://f1-manager-calc.vercel.app/), get screwed over in quali due to AI not letting you go on flying lap, go medium - hard with fastest options, overcut everyone, end up higher than should. End the race and develop car using custom sliders cos that's OP. Williams ends up as best team in season two.

This is not fun. I'd rather play FM with outdated graphics and gradual improvements because FM already has all the proper stuff in the game. Just need at least fifa 08 graphics. If people have potato pc let them run on 2d.

Nobody's arguing that graphics are more important than gameplay though. I'm sure 99% of us here would agree on that. 

But FM already has the gameplay part figured out. It's been figured out for years and years now, so it's only logical that other parts of the game level up as well.

I'd rather have a nice and shiny graphics, and modern UI/UX, on top of the already great gameplay, rather than what we have now.

This may be an unpopular opinion, so shoot me down, but...

I think the FM graphics are OK.

People talk about the FIFA graphics, but that game looks totally fake, the players look like they're running whilst someone is pulling them back with a dog lead, their movements are so robotic, it's androids vs androids.

And the colours looks very artificial, too shiney.

With FM, the animations have improved again this year, you will see ball bobbing up and players hitting it on the volley for example, and better finishing from strikers.

The ME and graphics are apparently separate things, but I don't think you can have these fluid movements and attacking patterns that make the game look so realistic, without having a certain kind of anti-FIFA animation style.

The crowds though I agree on, they should be swarming seas of fans and flags.... not C3PO & friends take a day trip to the Emirates.

It's all about the gameplay and the graphics are a part of what enables that.

As I said in the other thread, for every tweet there's a counter tweet. All opinions and everyone has their differing views 

Me? I'd like to see everything improve, who wouldn't? But for me none of it matters on the same scale as the ME and AI. Everything else could literally stay the same, but if the ME and AI takes leaps forward, I'm sold. 

3 minutes ago, (sic) said:

And that tweet has missed the point, as the replies have pointed out. Nobody's playing FM for the graphics, but the graphics would enhance the experience MASSIVELY. 

Obviously I'd also like for ME and AI to improve, but at certain point you have to also improve the visuals. Just one word: immersion. I think we are at that point where graphics need to improve, they've already done a large leap forward with animations, but now there's other stuff like textures, lighting, etc.

But at this point, we are going in circles. Since this is it for FM23, I'm already looking forward to what FM24 brings to the table.

It doesn't. He just has a different opinion, as valid as as anyone elses. And people are free to agree/disagree with his (or indeed anyone elses) 

6 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

As I said in the other thread, for every tweet there's a counter tweet. All opinions and everyone has their differing views 

Me? I'd like to see everything improve, who wouldn't? But for me none of it matters on the same scale as the ME and AI. Everything else could literally stay the same, but if the ME and AI takes leaps forward, I'm sold. 

No one is playing or will play FM for graphics (match graphics specially).  They go to be manager of the team. However, being manager means that match engine or its 3d graphics is a core feature of the game... at least for me.

1 minute ago, BuryBlade said:

The fact the match day graphics look worse than FM17 is my main gripe. 

The actual match engine has improved massively but the stadiums look terrible, pitches, weather and lighting have all gone backwards. 

I’m not even that bothered for graphical updates to the football side. But I want the stadiums to feel different and realistic, weather to actual look/feel real and the pitches/lighting to go back to what it was like in FM17.

On the football side, in many ways they've done loads of the hard work with the actual movement modelling, it's almost about "sharpening the image" as it were. I think the weather of all the graphics bothers me the most, oddly. 

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

On the football side, in many ways they've done loads of the hard work with the actual movement modelling, it's almost about "sharpening the image" as it were. I think the weather of all the graphics bothers me the most, oddly. 

Agreed. As sic said, it’s about immersion. I want it to look and feel more like it should. Make me believe it’s Tuesday night in league 2 on one hand, and the Champions League Final on the other. 

3 minutes ago, BuryBlade said:

Agreed. As sic said, it’s about immersion. I want it to look and feel more like it should. Make me believe it’s Tuesday night in league 2 on one hand, and the Champions League Final on the other. 

Aye. But I think that's why the ME is so important to me personally. It could be the best looking thing in the world, but if the games start doing wierd things or the teams don't feel right, that's when I lose the immersion.  

One thing I think is overlooked, is sound actually. Not necessarily commentary, but crowd ebb and flow. 

Why make small immersion upgrades if we’ll be looking at stick figures once match day comes? We’re all playing this for the game experience, otherwise we’d play FIFA or so. But that doesn’t mean that there is no value in enhancing graphics. By that logic, we could have kept the 2D engine.

The game is enormously lagging behind in graphics. It makes up for it in gameplay, but the game would be on a whole another level if we also had decent graphics.

I made a post in the requests section on this already because I think its more important than graphics.

But I would like to see more involving relationships with players. Developing relationships with players is rewarded by opening up new gameplay. 

Little side quests to try to boost a young players hidden attributes, more faces and drama at press conferences. Imagine a press conference against a timer, the longer you take to answer the more journalists get angry. You see the faces of the journalists getting angrier and then their questions become more hostile. Things like that.

If there is an issue with players getting into trouble so you cant have a story based around that, then only do it for new gens.

People are forever saying they enjoy taking a small club and making them bigger, or developing a youth player into a star player. It's these kinds of things that people love about football.

But the feedback and reward from the game on these things is very minimal. It's a shame because this is where the emotional enjoyment of the game could be very high and the game should be responding in a significant way.

And it's also a massive part of a real managers job.

And if SI want to expand their audience to include more female game players, they're going to have a hard time convincing them if the game is too analytical and doesn't have the drama, relationships and reward to go with it.

Edited by 2feet

43 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Aye. But I think that's why the ME is so important to me personally. It could be the best looking thing in the world, but if the games start doing wierd things or the teams don't feel right, that's when I lose the immersion.  

One thing I think is overlooked, is sound actually. Not necessarily commentary, but crowd ebb and flow. 

Great shout! I play on mute because the noise doesn’t reflect what’s happening. Proper sound would be amazing for immersion. Actually hearing your fans make noise celebrating a goal would be a good start. 

1 hour ago, (sic) said:

And that tweet has missed the point, as the replies have pointed out. Nobody's playing FM for the graphics, but the graphics would enhance the experience MASSIVELY. 

Obviously I'd also like for ME and AI to improve, but at certain point you have to also improve the visuals. Just one word: immersion. I think we are at that point where graphics need to improve, they've already done a large leap forward with animations, but now there's other stuff like textures, lighting, etc.

But at this point, we are going in circles. Since this is it for FM23, I'm already looking forward to what FM24 brings to the table.

I agree, his point may have been valid 5 years ago, but just like how everyone still preferred 2D during that time, times change and you have to keep up with the technology. 

not to mention that a blog post was about graphics so trying to dismiss graphics in that tweet is kind of pointless.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

1 hour ago, grade said:

No one is playing or will play FM for graphics (match graphics specially).  They go to be manager of the team. However, being manager means that match engine or its 3d graphics is a core feature of the game... at least for me.

So much of a core that you get to chose a watch.

1 hour ago, Hopfrog12 said:

To me, what it comes down to is: 

1. Do I play FM for the graphics? No.

2. Would better graphics make my experience better? Yes, absolutely.

3. Is it reasonable to expect the graphics to be better than they currently are? I think so.

I don't need FIFA-level graphics for FM, but I just think they could look a lot better than they currently do. Stadiums are a big one for me - the lack of variety and strange design choices (what is it with those corners?) hurt immersion. And they would not even have to go to great lengths to design every stadium in existence - a decent in-game stadium designer + the FM mod community would lead to close to real-life replicas in no time. 

Instead we get more coats + watches and scarves for our manager which I guess is nice? But with the graphics as they are, how much of a difference do those additions even make?

I personally would have preferred a proper stadium for lower league teams…

Just now, janrzm said:

I don't want to read a defense on here that graphics don't matter or that they aren't important to some people, I want to read an acknowledgement that they aren't up to scratch and are being worked on. If they are in the game, improve them so they stand up to the quality of the rest of the gameplay. So much of the game is excellent, it irks when people get knocked for wanting to see the graphics improve. 

The question that everyone should ask themselves is, even the people that work at SI... Is the graphical side of Football Manager the best version of itself that it can be in the year 2022. The answer is either Yes or No. 

1 hour ago, Ferocious289 said:

It's crazy fm17 looks light years ahead of the current graphics and player models look better, look at the backheel at 35 secs

As I understand the Graphics were either outsourced or became in-house after FM17 . They do look better but the Match Engine wasn't as good as it is now . I still play 17 but its frustrating at times with players just standing by while others get the ball . From a kit making point if view its a lot easier now . 

Edited by prot651

55 minutes ago, Ferocious289 said:

It's crazy fm17 looks light years ahead of the current graphics and player models look better, look at the backheel at 35 secs

It's the nets most for me.  So smooth and satisfying when the ball hits them, not like these days.  Why oh why did they change it!?!

The graphics aren't particularly high on my priority list, as I mostly play on 2D. The thing that is most important, for me personally, is that the players decision-making and positioning looks authentic, more than the match graphics themselves. In that respect, I think things are very strongly heading in the right direction, as (in my opinion) FM22 has by far the best match engine so far. 

What I will say, regarding graphics, is that I played FM06 for years, right up until I switched FM18. I kept going back to FM06 as I was enjoying my save, and I found the earlier 3D engines unbelievable and immersion breaking. So in that respect, I do have sympathy for those voicing their frustrations. I don't think anybody would complain about a major graphics upgrade, as long as it wasn't at the expense of the other functionality, and you didn't need a $5000 PC to run the game. 

From FM18 onwards, I've been happy with the 3D view. Albeit, I only use it for replays. I prefer watching matches on 2D most of the time anyway. 

Edited by DementedHammer

From my years of playing since FM08 I make the comparison to a Great Movie . A great movie isn't great if its let down by the ending because thats what people remember. In comparison a great football manager game isn't great if the end result is poor . All your hard work being a Manager in training , scouting  , tactics and player interactions ect is let down by the final interpretation of a match in 3D . We have to remember its an interpretation of a result thats already been calculated.  Its our interactions with tactics and subs etc during the game that changes that result. So to see that happen we need better visualisation and immersion in the 3D area to make the player appreciate all the hard work . So that's what it is for me but we all play the game differently.  

1 hour ago, Ferocious289 said:

Makes me sad. If you squint a little bit and watch that it could almost be real at times....!! 

I've said it before on here, "we" adjust to what's put in front of us really quickly, accepting it and literally forgetting what came before. It's only when you look back like this that you appreciate the magnitude of regression in some aspects of gameplay. Truly startling. 

7 minutes ago, janrzm said:

Makes me sad. If you squint a little bit and watch that it could almost be real at times....!! 

I've said it before on here, "we" adjust to what's put in front of us really quickly, accepting it and literally forgetting what came before. It's only when you look back like this that you appreciate the magnitude of regression in some aspects of gameplay. Truly startling. 

Even the trailor you can see how proud they were of showcasting the progressive graphical engine and effort into it knowing it was majestic pushing the envelope. Today's trailers it's all  filtered fluff of real life cuts of players and fans with no actual footage of the in game footage,  almost as if there is a hint of shame preventing them from showing off that this is the best they can do in the year 2022

072-match-test_1.png

As many have said, besides the "revolutionary" new features, I'd love to see what has been FIXED this year: broken set pieces, ad nauseam VAR reviews, poor scouting features, poorly designed interfaces, lousy international management, etc. etc. etc.

I'd rather see less features that actually work, than more fluff features that promise to bog down or break down game flow.

7 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It doesn't. He just has a different opinion, as valid as as anyone elses. And people are free to agree/disagree with his (or indeed anyone elses) 

The main gripe I have with the linked Twitter quote is that the guy basically says people are plain wrong if they play FM for graphics and telling others how they should think. We are talking about a PC/console game, not Excel. Gaming is all about pushing boundaries, if that wasn’t the case we’d all still be playing Pong. 

13 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

But the watch seriously? 

Do you know how seriously people take this? 

I do - if you're on twitter at all - the amount of people who post a picture of their new smart watch, Apple Ultra, Pixel, Samsung - it's a massive market and very personal to people. 

If you want complete immersion you want a full representation of you within the game - and if that brings you closer to being more involved within the game - then whats the harm? 

For me - this feature is useless - never liked the idea of custom building an AI version represenation of myself. I've no - ZERO - interest in this feature. 

But others like it. And if it's important to create that perfect avatar for the game - then go for it. 

Who am I to judge?

10 hours ago, (sic) said:

Nobody's arguing that graphics are more important than gameplay though. I'm sure 99% of us here would agree on that. 

But FM already has the gameplay part figured out. It's been figured out for years and years now, so it's only logical that other parts of the game level up as well.

I'd rather have a nice and shiny graphics, and modern UI/UX, on top of the already great gameplay, rather than what we have now.

That is what I said. Only thing misaing is graphics

13 minutes ago, Just4Downloads said:

How is this even possible after 10 years? Genuinely, how? 

Going in the right direction until about FM17 and then something happened and it’s arguably got worse year on year until now.

What has actually happened? Someone must know. 

As I understand the Graphics were either outsourced or became in-house after FM17 . They do look better but the Match Engine wasn't as good as it is now . I still play 17 but its frustrating at times with players just standing by while others get the ball . From a kit making point if view its a lot easier now . 

13 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I was just coming on here to post 'Minecraft', it's literally the most popular game on the planet right now (god knows why, but thats another story...) , and the graphics on that game are primitive at best. 

I mean, Minecraft isn’t trying to be any sort of simulation and it’s graphics (ie blocks) are actually a fairly fundamental part of the mechanics of the game. 

It’s completely non comparable to FM. 

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

I assumed the environmental graphical stuff got cut back because the actual football part of it began using more processing power.

It is unlikely, but within the realms of possibility. that the processing for the animation is significantly heavier than FM17, so requires more processing. But never forget that the actual match calculations do not happen in parallel with the match highlights - they are not real time.  The match events get calculated, highlights are generated from the pkm and when subs or tactical changes happen the pkm gets recalculated from that time in the match and the highlights are displayed from that point.  CPU load is heaviest when doing the matchday or transfer calculations.  When the game is actually playing CPU load drops significantly and GPU notches up slightly.

But even if processing for animating the players was significantly heavier, that doesn't offer any explanation for degrading textures and lighting. Or the backwards step in stadium designs.  

Something went seriously wrong between FM17 and 18 - I doubt we'll ever know the true story.

Edited by rp1966