FM23 Headline Features Revealed

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Genpressing less OP and more styles of play viable 

Other styles of play have always been every bit as much OP and viable as gegenpress, they’re just not as easy or straightforward to set up and maintain.  Perhaps SI can make some moves to help with setting up other styles, which has always been a problem with the tactic creator.

Head over to the tactics forum and read some of the excellent guides there if you would like to find out more about other styles of play and how “OP” they can be.

9 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Can see why they wouldn't break up and drip feed this year's features if this is all we are getting.  Whilst it's useful stuff this year it's not exactly as exciting as the data hub, romano stuff, chris wilder ball and youth ratings. 

Exactly that. There’s no updates because there’s nothing to update about.

1 minute ago, herne79 said:

Other styles of play have always been every bit as much OP and viable as gegenpress, they’re just not as easy or straightforward to set up and maintain.  Perhaps SI can make some moves to help with setting up other styles, which has always been a problem with the tactic creator.

Head over to the tactics forum and read some of the excellent guides there if you would like to find out more about other styles of play and how “OP” they can be.

But thats my point - Genpressing is easy to implement to the point i could take a Fulham or a crystal palace and do bits with it without much thought. It doesnt really matter about the players in the system, the system just works well.

What i want to see is 

• Stamina and fatigued after a long season being more of an important factor 
  • Players cant just be shoved into it. There needs to be more emphasis on intelligence on pressing from players so a Gabriel Jesus is a far better presser than Ronaldo.
  • and also what type of player - Messi should be poorer in that system cos he has a poorer work rate 
  • Pressing creates holes in teams. Look at the Manchester Derby, the pressing of one team was as a unit, the other was disjointed.

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

Not just weather impacts, but even things like jet lag (depending on the distance travelled) and the altitude of the stadium affects matches/performances.

Edit: so does the amount of fans and how 'hardcore' the fans are.

This isn’t true. Do any save in South America and you’ll see altitude has no impact. 

58 minutes ago, Just4Downloads said:

This isn’t true. Do any save in South America and you’ll see altitude has no impact. 

When the guy working directly on the ME confirms it, it's something you can believe. :thup:

1 hour ago, csw4228 said:

Release the beta quickly.

That way, problems will be discovered sooner and you will have more time to fix them before the official release.

I watched some of a twitch stream from somebody that works on the match engine last night and they guy was clearly pretty stressed with work. Whilst he obviously didn't say anything my impression was that despite the beta being out in a couple of weeks they are still working on it quite heavily now.

I'd imagine that's pretty common and hopefully not a sign of something messy being served up.

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I watched some of a twitch stream from somebody that works on the match engine last night and they guy was clearly pretty stressed with work. Whilst he obviously didn't say anything my impression was that despite the beta being out in a couple of weeks they are still working on it quite heavily now.

I'd imagine that's pretty common and hopefully not a sign of something messy being served up.

This is still one of the busiest parts for them, it is every year. They'll be getting a lot of closed external feedback and adjusting to that. Then of course will be the open beta, which needs to be more stable than a private beta. They'll be flat out until usually the first update then gets a bit quieter, before gearing up for a (typically Christmas-ish) second update. 

Just seen the FMFC update on 6 further updates. Disappointing. Again very minor items such as manager appearance, online modes and MLS. No international management, no graphics engine, no set pieces changes. I love the game and have bought, but was hoping for a bit more. Oh well. Maybe next year

Edited by FelixForte

Besides some stuff like PPDA, Progressive Passes, xA, that were added to Data Hub, I couldn't care less about these "gameplay upgrades". 

I'm starting to lose hope, but they did say they have more updates, so I'm holding on to some hope at least.

Additional stats in data hub - yep, good for the data bunnies; decent addition, even if it's not my thing.

auto-Team export for Versus mode at end of season.  I'd like that one if Versus hadn't been made conditional on signing up to FMFC. 

Other stuff - QoL/presentation tweaks that you'd expect as part of normal evolution. Will see what they mean in gameplay terms when the beta drops.

Nothing to get excited about, but certainly nice to haves.

Thanks to IrrelevantLion for transferring this information from FMFC.

17 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

It's 2022. Why on earth do we still have ""male"" and ""female"" hairstyles? Ideally nothing should be gender-locked, but clothing I at least understand would need some modelling work. Hair should be easy though!

Head models are likely different.

More stuff to add to a season duration. :(

Next update by Miles, perhaps something good, but ain't holding my breath.

But hey, they called this stuff the correct word: Upgrades and not Features... YES!!!!!!!!

Edited by grade

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think you'll find he was just stressed with his forwards letting him down again 😂

In that screenshot with the match overlay i am seeing the pass percentage for the defending team it's low... As you would expect a defending team. Unlike in FM 22 in which defending teams had 80% pass completion

13 minutes ago, andu1 said:

In that screenshot with the match overlay i am seeing the pass percentage for the defending team it's low... As you would expect a defending team. Unlike in FM 22 in which defending teams had 80% pass completion

Good find, didnt notice that. Both teams have relatively low pass completition compared to FM22. I like it. Looks more realistic.

Anyway, Data Hub Upgrade and MLS seems nice to me. I always moved around MLS in the recent years, i might try this time.

I feel a bit more positive after reading that.

More stats and graphs in the data hub are always nice (if they work). Also, if pass completion rates have indeed been toned down, and defenders have stopped passing back and forth to each other, those changes alone will make a huge difference.

More customisation options? Not too fussed about watches or earrings, but I've never been one for a suit or a tracksuit, so more casual clothing is fine by me.

It looks like this year will be an FM22 v2.0 - and don't get me wrong, I think FM22 was a very solid and enjoyable release!

My interest will be related to the announced headline match/ tactical AI improvements.

Squad Planner will be a useful feature I think if it's interconnected with scouting.

For the gameplay upgrades :

Data Hub was expected to be further developed and it's becoming a very nice tool for those who are deep into stats. 

I'm trying to guess how the pre-match briefings will look like as there is no picture available yet.. so maybe this will be an interesting change - or not.

If I had .01% hope for a Set Pieces revamp.. I've just lost it. It is what it is.:(

8 hours ago, aj6658 said:

It really isnt though. Yes they put a lot of hard work into the game but one of the reasons why Championship manager no longer exists is because FM produced the better game and had better features. Consumers had a choice and they went for the better product 

Just imagine for a second and think that Championship manager is back. It has better graphics, a transfer module where players are bought are more realistic prices and better AI.  Its missing "headline" features like social media, club vision, squad planners, licenses, manager timeline and all the other window dressing stuff which add to the game but arent really core. Are you really telling me that FM is not gonna start investing more in a better product?

Cos i can tell you one thing, if someone came along with a better product, i and the majority of other customers would move. 

Competition would mean that the issues that have plagued the game for years would be resolved quicker but as theres no pressure then management arent pushing you as hard, company isnt putting more money. 

There are many football management games out there, none of them are anywhere close to FM. Ask yourself why that is. What is stopping a company from releasing a blockbuster management game? The market is there for it. The reason is they know they can't possibly match what SI have built over the years. And as much as the game is far from perfect, it's streets ahead of anything else, which is down to the continual hard work of the devs. They could easily dumb the game down and save a fortume and still make a killing, but they'll never do that. 

35 minutes ago, IrrelevantLion said:

From my perspective the licenses were probably bought to make this years version more palatable from the lack of features.

I think SI have big things in plan for 24 or 25.

I get that feeling as well. They're trying to bring women football into the game and have ring fenced millions for it. They want to properly add it in which I think would mean a rethink of the engine and the graphics.

If you look at what FM 22 brought 

• Wide CB
  • New animation engine 
  • Data hub 

Those are 3 big additions. This time I would say only the AI improvements are big

The only issue is, if 24 is the same sort of incremental update, how will fans react?

1 hour ago, Spurs08 said:

It's 2022. Why on earth do we still have ""male"" and ""female"" hairstyles? Ideally nothing should be gender-locked, but clothing I at least understand would need some modelling work. Hair should be easy though!

Because males and females are inherently different. I do agree though that hairstyles or manager clothing should be applicable to both genders. It's a very minor part of the game, but often times they can make a save that much more like... it's yours or something.

Just now, Dagenham_Dave said:

There are many football management games out there, none of them are anywhere close to FM. Ask yourself why that is. What is stopping a company from releasing a blockbuster management game? The market is there for it. The reason is they know they can't possibly match what SI have built over the years. And as much as the game is far from perfect, it's streets ahead of anything else, which is down to the continual hard work of the devs. They could easily dumb the game down and save a fortume and still make a killing, but they'll never do that. 

Simple answer - FM is in a niche. It took them to July this year to sell 1m copies (miles said in the headlines video that they sold a couple of million) and it takes quite a bit of money now to enter the market. In 2011 it costs 6m to run the studio and make the game per their financial statements. Thats ballooned to 15m in 2019. The level complexity and the standards gamers are used to has grown significantly over the last 2 decades and rightly so. 

For a new competitor to come in and properly compete will need to have significant investment and a understanding that you would make a loss for a couple of years. 

FM killed off Championship manager by making the better game. There have been two options available previously.

Im not saying that the devs dont work hard but saying that saying there's no competition for the stagnation is arguing against basic economics. 

Let’s be honest, which ‘chunky’ upgrades did we get. I like the squad planner and am sure I’ll use it. But that’s it. Minor upgrades and big fixes do not warrant a full new game. I’ll still play but much more could have been done

Edited by FelixForte

11 minutes ago, FelixForte said:

Let’s be honest, which ‘chunky’ upgrades did we get. I like the squad planner and am sure I’ll use it. But that’s it. Minor upgrades and big fixes do not warrant a full new game. I’ll still play but much more could have been done

i would like AI  upgrade with the transfers that they make and some other stuff

10 minutes ago, b.sinisa said:

i would like AI  upgrade with the transfers that they make and some other stuff

There’s much more to add. Think about decent graphic engine, set piece UI or international management. I’m not asking for FIFA graphics but aren’t we 15 years beyond stick figures

I'm not one of those who keep complaining about lack of major improvements, actually I really like the headline features this year, but it's a bit funny and, at the same time, sad to see when new manager hairstyles are included in a blog presenting new upgrades... Like really, who even cares about this? I'm sure most of us still prefer to have our real picture in the profile rather than some weird face.

9 minutes ago, gggfunk said:

I'm not one of those who keep complaining about lack of major improvements, actually I really like the headline features this year, but it's a bit funny and, at the same time, sad to see when new manager hairstyles are included in a blog presenting new upgrades... Like really, who even cares about this? I'm sure most of us still prefer to have our real picture in the profile rather than some weird face.

'New suits and coats have been added for male and female managers; should you choose the former, you’ll have the option to go for a more stylish look by adding a scarf'

Brilliant, extremely excited now

10 minutes ago, FelixForte said:

'New suits and coats have been added for male and female managers; should you choose the former, you’ll have the option to go for a more stylish look by adding a scarf'

It would be way better not to mention this in the blog, reading how they are bragging about such minor add-ons looks just pathetic.

Still, I can't wait for the game to be released.

Edited by gggfunk

2 minutes ago, FelixForte said:

I love me some cynicism. And rightfully so. The fact that an omnipresent stat in football analysis like PPDA is added is cool, hoping that it implies you can really implement a hard press - with wingbacks joining the press high up the pitch as promised. But still, the scarf thing, the hairstyle... That would've been better for Miles' roulette than for a blog. Their promotional campaign is laughable like that. Set pieces and international management can't be ignored another year, can they? Especially for the latter: all the tools that would make IM way more interesting (training, designated squad numbers per match) are already in game. Why not match them? Oh well. We'll have to wait and see. David Foster Wallace would've called this edition of FM The Year of the Scarf.

7 hours ago, aj6658 said:

But like i said before, all the headline features they have announced so far all i care about is the ME

• If AI managers are harder and more adaptable thats a big plus
  • Better AI squad building 
  • Genpressing less OP and more styles of play viable 
  • fixed youth development (wasnt there a bug which made is so much harder?)

If that is delivered i think that would be a good improvement as the core of the game has improved noticeably 

So, a patch?

In PDX universe, half of the new features, both headline and gameplay improvements, would be DLC for the most E/$14.99 / £11.99, and the above would be free update as part of the core gameplay update and bugfixes.

MLS part of the blog is just a DB update, shouldn't receive a mention...

For context, I've been playing since CM 00/01, have been internal beta tester for a couple of versions some 10 years ago, but finding myself playing less and less since FM17, not surpassing around 120-150 hours

If they really aim to drastically improve graphics/animations/ME next year I would have nothing against FM23 being just a more polished FM22..

But we don't know that. This is why there is an uproar on these forums.

Also since there are no other major features it would be nice if SI staff take time to explain existing features...like what exactly some player traits do in the ME...how and why some attributes matter more then others etc....

They can do this via blogs, twitch or even threads on these forums.

Edited by FM1000

1 hour ago, Kcinnay said:

I love me some cynicism. And rightfully so. The fact that an omnipresent stat in football analysis like PPDA is added is cool, hoping that it implies you can really implement a hard press - with wingbacks joining the press high up the pitch as promised. But still, the scarf thing, the hairstyle... That would've been better for Miles' roulette than for a blog. Their promotional campaign is laughable like that. Set pieces and international management can't be ignored another year, can they? Especially for the latter: all the tools that would make IM way more interesting (training, designated squad numbers per match) are already in game. Why not match them? Oh well. We'll have to wait and see. David Foster Wallace would've called this edition of FM The Year of the Scarf.

This IS Miles' roulette thing. Just several of them condensed into a blog. He's said he's not going to do the daily roulette. Just collapse several into a blog 

They do put money and time into some weird places sometimes.

If you want to do window dressing at least do it in a place that would improve the user's experience - like the stadium and it's surroundings. Perhaps that goes against an in house rule that the game has to be able to run on the calculator Miles used in 6th form though.

54 minutes ago, orlyzao said:

Fe9k7vlXoAEBCvJ?format=png&name=360x360

Facegens... For some reason, this will haunt me in my nightmares... Thanks Miles, you can just rock me tae sleep tonight!!!!!!!

Its like they liked us to do this negative criticisms... amazing.

Edited by grade

40 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

This IS Miles' roulette thing. Just several of them condensed into a blog. He's said he's not going to do the daily roulette. Just collapse several into a blog 

Well, then it isn't Miles Roulette, it's a surrogate. It's a blog with small features then. But, as you know, when there is/seems (?) so little to advertise, then putting small features in a blogpost isn't smart. A couple of loose tweets with little features: fine. A blogpost creates expectations - and they're mocked, and I can understand why. I still hope there's some sort of big announcement yet to make, but for the first time in years, I'm really unhappy with what's presented and mostly how it's presented, like I've said in my post on page 12.

I'll still buy FM 23 - because FM is at its core a really good game and you get excellent return for your money - but that means - for me, that is - that FM 24 needs to have a big overhaul on a tactical (more flexibility, more focus on set pieces, concepts like half spaces, defensive overloads) and graphical level (not what the players should look like, but the stadiums, the pitch textures, feeling the distinction between Champions League and LLM - without the trick of music - the flow of matches should be waaaaay different). I hope that will be there with the implementation of women's football in FM 24, because you can't sell an overblown patch two years in a row at full price. This year they can take me for granted, next year not so much.

5 minutes ago, Kcinnay said:

Well, then it isn't Miles Roulette, it's a surrogate. It's a blog with small features then. But, as you know, when there is/seems (?) so little to advertise, then putting small features in a blogpost isn't smart. A couple of loose tweets with little features: fine. A blogpost creates expectations - and they're mocked, and I can understand why. I still hope there's some sort of big announcement yet to make, but for the first time in years, I'm really unhappy with what's presented and mostly how it's presented, like I've said in my post on page 12.

I'll still buy FM 23 - because FM is at its core a really good game and you get excellent return for your money - but that means - for me, that is - that FM 24 needs to have a big overhaul on a tactical (more flexibility, more focus on set pieces, concepts like half spaces, defensive overloads) and graphical level (not what the players should look like, but the stadiums, the pitch textures, feeling the distinction between Champions League and LLM - without the trick of music - the flow of matches should be waaaaay different). I hope that will be there with the implementation of women's football in FM 24, because you can't sell an overblown patch two years in a row at full price. This year they can take me for granted, next year not so much.

These are expectations you've created in your own head tbh. They have moved to FMFC and Football Manager doing it because they have 4x as many followers as Miles. There's more blogs to come doing the same because it's a bigger reach.

He couldn't have been any clearer about the blog so it's not really on them if you build it into something bigger than it is and then get upset. Because they didn't build that expectation. 

Whether you buy FM23 or not is upto you, but they were clear what the blog was.