FM23 Headline Features Revealed

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, karanhsingh said:

I had mentioned a whole host of improvements they could and ideally should make to international football here:

Its a World Cup year and seems like once again they have ignored international entirely... Lord knows when they will get to it

This was the thread I was looking for. 

It was mentioned that changes will be implemented but who knows when will that be, could be 4 years from now lol.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

31 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

People complain about FIFA on Switch just being a yearly squad update but FM is going the same way.

If I wanted to I could play FM20 or 21 and have the data updates from fansites and the game would be 99% similar to what we'll get.

Then just do that then? :confused:

So this year is the year of changing the name, add a bit of jazzy UI and call it a new feature? You can say "at least the match graphics look better" but do they really for a game in 2022?  Beginning to think there isn't any proper generational leap coming with this game.

Only thing I'm really intrigued about is if the "new" manager match AI will be carried over into the general game too. No point coming across a Klopp in match if his squad building etc is still hopeless. 

Those wanting 2D back to its glory days will always be disappointed. SI want nothing more than 2D gone.

Edited by ImDaWeasel

6 minutes ago, ImDaWeasel said:

So this year is the year of changing the name, add a bit of jazzy UI and call it a new feature? You can say "at least the match graphics look better" but do they really for a game in 2022?  Beginning to think there isn't any proper generational leap coming with this game.

Only thing I'm really intrigued about is if the "new" manager match AI will be carried over into the general game too. No point coming across a Klopp in match if his squad building etc is still hopeless. 

I have to agree that a lot of the highlighted features are moreso tweaks to things that's been already in the game. No mention if the squad planning have any effect on AI squad building.

Fixes to things like defense, counter attacking and low block have been talked about here for years but now its rolled out as a new feature, same thing with manager's play styles. Im grateful that those things are finally fixed but most games would include those in a patch.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

4 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I have to agree that a lot of the highlighted features are moreso tweaks to things that's been already in the game. No mention if the squad planning have any effect on AI squad building.

Fixes to things like defense, counter attacking and low block have been talked about here for years but now its rolled out as a new feature, same thing with manager's play styles. Im grateful that those things are finally fixed but most games would include those in a patch.

I'd hold off on the applause for 3 year too long additions to tactics until they've been properly tested out by us in the match engine. Remember only last year they said consistent gegenpress was a thing of the past due to a new "stamina" engine, or some nonsense like that. They come out with some corkers over the past 3 or 4 years that said would change the game and done anything but.

6 hours ago, 2feet said:

No news at all about data hub?

Any changes there?

Was looking for the same but I am sure they have made changes but as it was a feature added last year it didn’t make sense to include it a feature for this years video?

The Data Hub has a great future if they keep refining it each year. 

Don't know what the features are yet, but I just want to say I HATE how you've chosen to present them. Why can't you just release an article or something with the list of features? Could have that alongside the video if you really want a video. I'm certainly not going to watch a 40 min youtube video just to find out the new features of a game. Jog on with that rubbish!

2 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Don't know what the features are yet, but I just want to say I HATE how you've chosen to present them. Why can't you just release an article or something with the list of features? Could have that alongside the video if you really want a video. I'm certainly not going to watch a 40 min youtube video just to find out the new features of a game. Jog on with that rubbish!

https://www.footballmanager.com/features/recruitment-revamp

https://www.footballmanager.com/features/match-ai-and-animation

https://www.footballmanager.com/features/uefa-club-competitions-licence

https://www.footballmanager.com/features/supporter-confidence

https://www.footballmanager.com/features/dynamic-manager-timeline

More info here on the match engine changes (plus other things like changes to Team Instructions to help improve defensive tactics): https://www.footballmanager.com/features/match-ai-and-animation

Goalkeepers now have the ability to make K-Block saves – when the ‘keeper drops one knee to the ground to prevent a shot from going through their legs – and spread saves. Now, in one-on-one situations, the goalkeepers can use their frames more effectively.

Defensively, we have improved the ability to win tackles, read interceptions, apply back/side pressure on opponents and read aerial interceptions. Alongside the general team-shape tweaks, defensive shapes have improved as well – for example, wingbacks in a back five will look to press/engage more aggressively, while there also improvements to back-four shapes positionally, too.

Going forward, players in FM23 can have more realistic first touches in their attempts to get the ball perfectly under control – for example, the ball may bounce or bobble up in the air on a player’s touch. First touches, in general, will carry on the momentum of the ball more from the pass - making the match itself look and feel more realistic.

It also adds different decisions that players will make based on these first touches, including more opportunities to control the ball In mid-air and bring It down better, or carry on with the ball, or even chest it straight Into a volley.

Elsewhere in the final third, there are improvements to finishing. Players are now more likely to shoot across goal, find corners, open up their bodies and take a composed touch before scoring. When they get into attacking positions, they are more likely to cut onto their stronger foot.

We have also made improvements to a few player roles and how they position on the pitch - for example, the Winger role is now better at consistently offering width in attack. In midfield, tweaks for advanced roles, namely Mezzala, Advanced Playmaker and Central Midfielders on Attack duty, will position them higher in the half-spaces during build-up play in certain formations, such as 4-3-3.

There are also changes to address the balance between Defensive and Attacking mentalities. For instance, players may be less consistent at tracking back defensively after they have exerted themselves in the attacking third, depending on their Attributes. This, combined with the defensive improvements, should lead to counter-attacking and defensive football being more viable than ever.

Edited by 2feet

2 hours ago, 2feet said:

More info here on the match engine changes (plus other things like changes to Team Instructions to help improve defensive tactics): https://www.footballmanager.com/features/match-ai-and-animation

Goalkeepers now have the ability to make K-Block saves – when the ‘keeper drops one knee to the ground to prevent a shot from going through their legs – and spread saves. Now, in one-on-one situations, the goalkeepers can use their frames more effectively.

Defensively, we have improved the ability to win tackles, read interceptions, apply back/side pressure on opponents and read aerial interceptions. Alongside the general team-shape tweaks, defensive shapes have improved as well – for example, wingbacks in a back five will look to press/engage more aggressively, while there also improvements to back-four shapes positionally, too.

Going forward, players in FM23 can have more realistic first touches in their attempts to get the ball perfectly under control – for example, the ball may bounce or bobble up in the air on a player’s touch. First touches, in general, will carry on the momentum of the ball more from the pass - making the match itself look and feel more realistic.

It also adds different decisions that players will make based on these first touches, including more opportunities to control the ball In mid-air and bring It down better, or carry on with the ball, or even chest it straight Into a volley.

Elsewhere in the final third, there are improvements to finishing. Players are now more likely to shoot across goal, find corners, open up their bodies and take a composed touch before scoring. When they get into attacking positions, they are more likely to cut onto their stronger foot.

We have also made improvements to a few player roles and how they position on the pitch - for example, the Winger role is now better at consistently offering width in attack. In midfield, tweaks for advanced roles, namely Mezzala, Advanced Playmaker and Central Midfielders on Attack duty, will position them higher in the half-spaces during build-up play in certain formations, such as 4-3-3.

There are also changes to address the balance between Defensive and Attacking mentalities. For instance, players may be less consistent at tracking back defensively after they have exerted themselves in the attacking third, depending on their Attributes. This, combined with the defensive improvements, should lead to counter-attacking and defensive football being more viable than ever.

If implemented well these are some great additions to the games match AI but wouldn’t go as far as to call them headline features. These are improvements that should be expected, not advertised as major selling points. 

In the reveal video for the match engine they showed some tactical circles and links around players. Is this only for internal testing or will there now be options to enable this to help with match analysis and help visualise the spacing and linkups between positions and players?

31 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

In the reveal video for the match engine they showed some tactical circles and links around players. Is this only for internal testing or will there now be options to enable this to help with match analysis and help visualise the spacing and linkups between positions and players?

Think this was shown last year also and seems to be their internal tool

14 hours ago, Huey Lewis said:

Then just do that then? :confused:

I don't because I collect the boxes from each year, my example was more of a warning some people may start doing that as every new game doesn't bring many new changes. Between FM19 and 23 if you take away Dynamics and Tactics everything else is the same. Someone making that direct transitions would have zero problems adapting.

Same story every year :D Most of the comments are negative, but yet we will all buy the game. I don't even care about new features anymore. I have more than enough features and tools in the game already to have fun, I just want graphics to stop being from '90s because of the immersion. I can't play 2D anymore, I need 3D engine to be watchable. If the performance is the issue, give people more graphic options to disable for those who don't care about looks, there are no excuses anymore

Reading more about the ME changes, and out of possession instructions, and it definitely looks like a step in the right direction.

- Wingers actually holding width is huge. Also players being positioned higher in the half-spaces during build-up is huge. I did want to see WBs in the Wingback positions adjusted, seeing they don't really push forward as much early on. They need to be more aggressive if they're in a higher starting position.

Elsewhere, we have revamped the Offside Trap option based on research of current systems and how much the offside rule has evolved. Instead, there will be two new instructions at your disposal, giving you the option to tell your defenders to Drop Off or Hold the Line. All defensive lines will drop off or step up at times, but this instruction will affect those close-call situations – do you want your team to aggressively hold their shape, or are you content for them to give up the space in front to defend the space in behind?

- Again, a great change. It encourages you to change up your tactics based on the opposition you're facing. For example, you'd usually want to Drop Off when facing a really pacy striker (that has good Acceleration and Off The Ball), instead of Holding the Line. On the other hand, you might want to hold the line against strikers that are more involved in the buildup, as you don't want to give them much space in front of the defense.

Outside of your own defensive third, you now have instructions to tell your team to set up a pressing trap out wide or in central areas, affecting the way your team positions and presses when defending – this can be used as an attempt to funnel the opposition into the area of your choice. 

- Previously, we had to tinker around with OIs to achieve something that would work like this. I'm confident this solution is much much better.

Obviously I am still disappointed that they didn't expand on this more, because other areas of tactical creator needed changes as well. But nonetheless, those are some positive changes.

Edited by (sic)

Players are now more likely to shoot across goal, find corners, open up their bodies and take a composed touch before scoring. When they get into attacking positions, they are more likely to cut onto their stronger foot.

If this here is really implemented in the ME and is not just marketing the biggest gripe I had with the game will be finally fixed!!

Too long players did not position their body to play on their stronger foot, which in turn makes them look like a dumb robots who try to score with their very weak left foot on a volley..

Of course I will wait for after the last patch of the game to try the demo before deciding if to buy, too many times I have jumped the gun and regreted later.

Edited by FM1000

21 hours ago, andu1 said:

The one thing i care about in the whole game was a headline feature, Match AI and AI Managers .So i must be the only one who got excited about this feature.

I really don't care about any other fancy mechanic, just give me a challenging AI, updated ME to reflect real life football and I am sold.

https://www.footballmanager.com/features/match-ai-and-animation

Same. Thought the article was very interesting but it's one of those that has to be played to be seen. Although absolutely delighted they've started to readjust the TC with more contextual language 

"Should negotiations with a player break down, you won’t now just have to wait a month or so before trying to speak to them. Instead, you’ll now have the option to ‘Resolve Contract Talks with Agent’. By speaking to them and convincing them of your interest, they’ll hopefully be able to speak to their client and revive the conversation – just as they would in real-life."

Finally! We'll now have the option to ask agents to resolve player unhapiness too.

Also, licensing City is a nice stick to United. :lol:

3 hours ago, Marko1989 said:

Same story every year :D Most of the comments are negative, but yet we will all buy the game. I don't even care about new features anymore. I have more than enough features and tools in the game already to have fun, I just want graphics to stop being from '90s because of the immersion. I can't play 2D anymore, I need 3D engine to be watchable. If the performance is the issue, give people more graphic options to disable for those who don't care about looks, there are no excuses anymore

Same for me.  I'm at the point where I could care less about new features.  Most of them get used once or twice and ignored afterward in anycase.  These days I'm less interested in micromanagement and more drawn to sitting down to watch a game of football in 3D.  The 3D match day experience has been neglected for the past 5 or 6 versions now, in fact it got worse after FM17. 

Edited by Druid DR

• FrazT changed the title to FM23 Headline Features Revealed
  • Administrators
15 hours ago, ImDaWeasel said:

Those wanting 2D back to its glory days will always be disappointed. SI want nothing more than 2D gone.

No offence, but if we wanted nothing more than 2D being gone, it would be gone.

We look at the percentage of players using the different modes and prioritise work based on that. As a reminder, Miles tweeted a few years back 3D usage was over 85% and can assure you that figure hasn't gone down since. 

How will the IFs/IWs behave on this version? Cause we had to deal with them making bad choices with the ball playing in this position/role and all we had was: "We're working on it" until SI shut the bug report forum down.

It doesn't matter if the new version has 10000 new features, great graphics... If the ME don't work well, everything else is compromised.

Edited by renato.

A 'meh' announcement. 

Fan confidence is a feature you'd find in the new updates notes rather than the headline. 

My ideas for FM24 at this rate. Miles just copy what is said on the forum. So many good ideas doing your job for you.

International Teams. 

More media coverage, more depth. Make sure you can actually train the team. How that isn't a thing is crazy. International camps. Upgrade facilities. Squad rivalries. 

Youth Teams.

Able to manage u18s and u21s, train, create tactics, and sign academy players on a small budget. Can be enjoyable and good for journeyman saves.

Tactics.

Defensive and attacking formations. More roles and instructions. More depth to the fullback position with new roles etc. Trent Alexander Arnold. Revamp set pieces. 

Relationships.

Promises to be fixed. Contract demanding to be toned down. Salary demands also. Player relations to be more 'troubled', falling outs etc. 

Match-Engine.

Centre backs learn to judge goal kicks. Different types of goals. 

1 hour ago, renato. said:

How will the IFs/IWs behave on this version? Cause we had to deal with them making bad choices with the ball playing in this position/role and all we had was: "We're working on it" until SI shut the bug report forum down.

It doesn't matter if the new version has 10000 new features, great graphics... If the ME don't work well, everything else is compromised.

I agree 100%. Improving the movement of the winger, especially the movement of the inside forward, is the key. 22 In the match engine, Sala, Mbappe, Saka, Luis Diaz, etc. were useless.

On balance, I think most of the "headliners" are positive changes. The changes to the ME, scouting and roster planning should be welcome additions. The UEFA licensing adds another touch of realism, but I'd hardly consider that a headliner. Ditto for the manager timeline (although I'm not sure how that differs significantly from the Season in Review feature), I must say, though, that the Supporter feature doesn't do anything for me at all, and I hope it won't detract from the overall flow of the game. 

The announcement briefly mentioned improving analytics, but there was nothing specific. I'd like to see all statistics filterable, both for managed players and scouted players. I'd also like to see the scouting of future opponents refined, with the AM making specific defensive recommendations (LOE, Blocks, matchups). I realize this last may not be doable in a computer game, but it would be great if it could.

Add me to the list of those who would like to see less repetition, particularly player relations and media relations. Particularly, repetition of pre- and post-game questions about playing style as well as mind games.

"Keep up to speed with all the latest FM23 news by following our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and TikTok accounts, with more features to be revealed exclusively to FMFC members in the coming weeks - including details of changes to the data hub and match analytics, such as the introduction of xA (expected assists) to the series."

Good to see that more metrics are being added to data analysis in game

QUICK_CHAT_SOCIAL_MEDIA_WIP.jpg

I see that press conference questions/responses will be structured the same as before. Feels very limiting when you don't have options that say what you want to see, and very gamey in that you're restricted to "Very Positive-Positive-Neutral-Negative-Very negative"

On 30/09/2022 at 12:20, Neil Brock said:

I'm a bit lost on your comments here - the features video is in 1080p. Unless I'm missing something in relation to what you're saying? 

This happens sometimes when someone wants to watch your video right after you've just uploaded it. 720p and lower shows up first to users, a bit later 1080p and better pop up. One could perhaps make an uploaded video initially unavailable to the public to avoid such inconveniences..

Edited by SC00P0NE

I’ve been playing FM (or CM as it was) since the 90s.  I don’t play as much as I used to, as I don’t have as much time, but enough to know what’s going on.

My thoughts, if anyone cares:

- In the early days it was an incredibly innovative game.  It improved massively in the first 10 years.  Inevitably, they’ve ran out of ideas over time, and in recent years the new features have largely made the game more time consuming without really making it more fun.

- Clearly the big innovation coming down the line is women’s football.  I’m not against this.  Morally, I think it’s the right thing to do.  It reflects the growth of the women’s game, and helps to promote it.  However, adding women’s football doesn’t really change FM as a gaming experience as such.  It’s just a new set of different looking teams to manage.  It’s like adding some exotic new countries.

- What FM desperately needs is a really big idea that takes the game to the next level, something that hasn’t happened for many years.  In my view it’s obvious what this next level should be: a proper multiplayer version of FM.  There are different ways of doing this, but if the thousands and thousands of people around the world who enjoy this game could compete against each other in gameworlds, each with 60 countries and thousands of teams, with everyone managing one team per game world, perhaps with prizes, and an interactive community, that would take the game to the next level.

Yes, FM Live didn’t work out.  But that had flaws that could be rectified.  Many years ago I played a multiplayer game similar to the one I described above.  Technically, it was light years behind FM22, but it was the most fun I’ve ever had playing any game, and I made lots of friends, and cheating was minimized.  Games are so much more fun when it’s a shared experience.  There’s a massive gap in the market for a fantastic multiplayer game.  Hopefully, one day somebody will fill it.

3 hours ago, autohoratio said:

[...]introduction of xA (expected assists) to the series."

[...]

GIMME! This might be a massive help in improving my "Season Review" view and my dependency on LibreOffice's Calc to get the data I actually need. I fear there is still a "per 90 minute" version missing like with xG, "CCCs created" and "Key Passes made" but that is still a massive improvement. Qualitative data really helps in gauging which players over-/underperform or have just the right mix in attributes.

27 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

The YouTube generation, not an ounce of patience. 

Generation pre-Youtube here. I just like reading more than videos. Usually more information density and consumation in my own tempo.

5 hours ago, Druid DR said:

All of it was stripped away for FM18, whose 3D in comparison was horrendous.  The incremental improvements since 18 have still not reached what FM17 offered.

They completely changed the animation system. Thats a massive improvement (and a big job I would imagine). This change allows FM greater possibilities for the future with what players can do and probably took them years.

Look at the footage in the headline video, the player movements have taken another step forward since FM 22, it's unbelievable how realistic it is becoming (now with ball bobbling first touches and volleys), and the movements and passes that really look like a real game.

I would guess they have to get the match engine and animation to a level of accomplishment before they can then overhaul something like the set piece creator. Because if you changed the creator but then carry on making major changes to animations, then you'd probably have to redesign the creator all over again. That's guesswork on my part but still, I wouldn't be surprised if it was partly true.

7 hours ago, DP said:

AI manager absolutely must be carried over to squad building to some extent. 

Will be worth buying for that alone if that’s the case. 

Do you really want a Man City who are continuously brilliant at buying all the best players, and making them function brilliantly together, for year after relentless year, making the title impossible to win?

20 hours ago,  rusty217 said: 

I'm certainly not going to watch a 40 min youtube video just to find out the new features of a game. Jog on with that rubbish!

The YouTube generation, not an ounce of patience. 

---

But he will watch a 40 minute video on all the things they got wrong in Lord of the Rings!

10 minutes ago, 2feet said:

Do you really want a Man City who are continuously brilliant at buying all the best players, and making them function brilliantly together, for year after relentless year, making the title impossible to win?

It’s at least realistic so yeah. Imagine the sense of achievement breaking them. 

Edited by DP

15 minutes ago, 2feet said:

Impossible a bit much we was 20 minutes away from losing the title on last day 

23 minutes ago, 2feet said:

As opposed to them buying everyone, stocking up on wonderkids and talents, while not playing them at all, and using an aging squad? As opposed to them buying yet another striker, when they already have 7 of them? Yes please.

The algorithms required to build a good team over time must be extremely difficult though. Maybe even impossible? Is it really possible to design such a system?

If it was then I think real football teams would be interested in it!

And if Managers AI has now been improved for FM 23, then the teams with the biggest and bestest selection of players are probably going to be much tougher, because those players are going to provide plentiful options for these new powerful AI managers.

Edited by 2feet

6 hours ago, Druid DR said:

If 85% of the players use 3D (and thus something you prioritise) then why is it overlooked and barely gets any love?  Can you also explain why FM17 looked far better than the 5 (and possibly now 6) versions that came after it?  17 had beautiful graphics and lighting, the best-looking pitches and stadiums, more stadium variety, and a wealth of camera angles to choose from along with around 30 different graphical options to choose from in preferences.  All of it was stripped away for FM18, whose 3D in comparison was horrendous.  The incremental improvements since 18 have still not reached what FM17 offered.

If we could only get the match engine and player graphics of FM23 in the Stadiums and textures of FM17 . I believe the change after FM17 was the outsourcing of the graphics department or something like that 

34 minutes ago, 2feet said:

The algorithms required to build a good team over time must be extremely difficult though. Maybe even impossible? Is it really possible to design such a system?

If it was then I think real football teams would be interested in it!

For sure. And not every team should be creating perfectly designed squads. In real life some teams become a mess.

The most pressing issue that the AI prioritise current ability and world reputation. This was okay in previous versions where older players would lose CA and younger players would improve at the same pace but last year's changes to player growth and decay (which were good changes) has messed this up a bit, which is why we have teams full of 30 year olds.

If they fix this then I will definitely buy it. If it still looks like a problem I might see what the reaction is at the beta. And maybe play FM22 with Davidincid's mods 

Edited by Dotsworthy

On 29/09/2022 at 20:50, aj6658 said:

Recruitment revamp

• Planner looks like a very welcome edition. Think its a massive quality of life improvement  and will really help plan the team. 
  • Assignments to "focuses" - Have no idea how this is any different from assignments ? Unless I'm missing something this is just a lick of paint. Is a QoL improvement with near misses   but nothing big.
  • Agents - Nice change but its only good if it has depth to it otherwise useless. What I mean is if you're negotiating but you cant agree a wage it lets you come into schmooze them. If it allows smaller clubs to compete with bigger clubs for a player then a really great addition otherwise its extra steps for nothing 

Match Engine 

• Most exciting bit. They spent the majority of the time on the AI managers. Really hope that it allows for more creative opposition (Instead of just sitting back) and making the game more dynamic. Better choice of formation, tactics and player selection.
  • Defence AI changed alot to allow for great variety of football. Hopefully less OP genpressing, countering is viable or possession. 
  • We haven't seen anything else but what him hoping is dribbling is better, stamina having greater impact, not  players all good in a genpressing system but this is yet to be seen 
  • Animation system brought in last year has been improved alot

Licenses

• Nice additions not really much to say 

Support confidence 

• Feel like this will be like social media. Doesn't really have an impact. Feel this is step one of something much but we won't see the results for 3+ years. Currently just a change to the club vision section but i can see it being if you're not battering opponents all the time, the supports won't give you high ratings. Or when you sell a player to bring in a youth project they all hate that

For me it all comes down to the Match engine and AI improvements. I want Genpressing not to be OP, I want be forced to think about where players play instead of chucking them. I wanted to develop youth. I want AI managers to build competitive teams without hording players

There some nice improvements but it all comes down to the AI and Match engine. Fix the stuff that has been broken for years and build more sophisticated systems for greater styles of play without doing stuff that breaks it.

Seriously what else do people want?! People just comment things without a thought

• International football improvements would be good but seriously what could it really add? International football you watch players. You hardly train them and then player 3 games every few months and then a tournament. Its basically normal FM but completely stripped back. I dont think there is much demand for it for the resources it requires to build 
  • Spending you salary - seriously get in the bin....
  • Better graphics - think FM should have a much better graphical engine. Not expecting it to look like Fifa but think there is massive improvement is needed here
  • Set pieces - needs an update and is overdue. Its so basic and uninteresting at the moment that I dont even bother.

People are still asking for that nonsense to be implemented into the game? Yes as you say, get right in the bin.  Ugh, go play the Sims or something.    Spending your salary, designing your own kits each season, designing stadiums, setting ticket prices etc etc is never coming to FM. Like, ever. They've said as much.