FM23 Headline Features Revealed

I just got this email

As a member of the FMFC squad, you're first in line to get details on feature drops and game info.

Tune into our Youtube channel at 7pm (BST) on Thursday September 29 as we welcome you to Football Manager 2023's NEW headline features. A combination of key area upgrades and brand-new elements elevate your managerial experience.

Take a step inside our studio with James Allcott to find out how you'll utilise these features to elevate your game and bring you even closer to doing the job for real.

Deep dives into the areas introduced here will land on footballmanager.com soon with further detail to come throughout October, exclusively for FMFC members...

https://www.youtube.com/footballmanager

I can watch but I can't have the sound on tonight, so I'll be watching it tomorrow.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'll be buying it, some very nice new additions especially the recruitment revamp. Just those new recruitment focus options will be make a big difference when playing.

Edited by VP.

I am not sure if I might have missed it, but they did not confirm that there will also be the Champions League anthem before the match, right? 'Only' graphics etc (which already makes me want to play FM23 now...)

3 minutes ago, ThomasK said:

I am not sure if I might have missed it, but they did not confirm that there will also be the Champions League anthem before the match, right? 'Only' graphics etc (which already makes me want to play FM23 now...)

would like to get an answer to that too lol, i think they did mention you will get the music...

7 minutes ago, ThomasK said:

The match day sounds haven't been updated in years. The Champions League anthem alongside that din wouldn't be great imo.

Edited by Lempicka

31 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

Lots to like here.

Really like the changes to defensive play, pressing, the animations.

On the recruitment side - the ability to negotiate more with agents is very welcome.

I'm doubtful, but will give the demo a go.

They said this year that gegenpress would be nerfed or not so overpowered. That didn't work out well so I have almost no hope at all that the 'changes' to defensive play will make any difference.

If they manage to get the AI managers playing properly/better then that could make a big difference.

Some of the other agent stuff is nice. Particularly asking agent about interest before contract renewals.

The rest is largely cosmetic but I’m pretty happy.

Like the focus on defensive tactics working in game as opposed to gegen or nothing. 

The Champions League graphics look amazing, but Danny didn’t actually confirm if the anthem is included in game (I want to hear the music!)

As an iPad player, last one I played was FM21 so looking forward to this.

2 minutes ago, 2feet said:

High intensity pressing is the dominant tactic in real life football, so why wouldn't it be in fm too?

Is it? Real don't use high intensity pressing yet won the CL.

Talking about the Premier league then yes it is. However, using a gegenpress on FM can make a very average squad into title contenders - this doesn't happen in real life. It is still far too overpowered.

I have so many mixed feelings. 

First off, there are some potentially great and promising features. Squad building, scouting, Out of Possession instructions, Animations. Now I'm not 100% sure how they will be implemented, and how they're going to work, but I'm at least optimistic about those things. I can't say I'm too bothered with licensing stuff. They did acknowledge that the club fans aren't a big part of the game, so I'm glad they're at least somewhat a part of the game now.
They acknowledged the issue of overcrowding the inbox, yet I haven't seen or heard anything in regards to fixing it.

When we came to the ME stuff, which I honestly care the most about (together with tactical stuff), again, a bunch of mixed feelings. In one of the first clips, they've shown players sitting on top of each other, getting in each others' way. Players not reacting to runs into space by the opposition, and in general a bunch of stuff that we've had to deal with for years now. At 21:05, the red No. 4 is just standing there, while the opposition player makes a run beyond him. Like surely he can't be so blind not to notice. He doesn't cover the space, he doesn't run behind to cover in time. He only does, once the opposing player has passed the ball. And sure, I'm not saying it cannot happen, but I've seen it happen so many times in FM22, with all kinds of players, with different roles, so it's not a matter of tactics and players used, but a matter of how the ME works.

On the other hand, it looked more fluid in a lot of situations, probably due to new animations. There have been obvious improvements to pressing, defensive lines, pressing triggers, traps. Low Block, Mid Block, High Block/Press, Pressing Trap with inside and outside, Cross Engagement, Defensive Line...those are obviously good changes, if they work as they should. But why stop there? There should've been more instructions for other phases of play. Offensive and defensive formations wont ever be a thing in FM apparently, but can we come a bit closer to that at least? The roles we give to players often feel rigid in the way they move about the pitch. We can't specifically tell the players which spaces to occupy at which phases of play. Playing Mentality is still a thing sadly. There have been so many missed opportunities to really improve the tactical creator, in all areas. Instead, it's only improved in one area, while other areas will have to wait a year, two, or a few years to get updated. It feels like it's done deliberately, so they can introduce those things next year as new features to market and sell the game around.

I'm still going to wait on giving the final verdict, because I haven't actually played the game, and there could be some new features in the tactical creator (copium). Though from my experience, it's very unlikely there's going to be much more. What we see now is usually what we get.

Planner looks great. Anything improving the ME and animations is always welcome. UEFA stuff, nice but I doubt may long term players weren't on licencing fixes asap every year.  

The fan stuff is pretty much a meh for me. I appreciate the work to replicate the modern game but I skip the social media stuff every save I do.

The women's game being introduced is clearly the next big thing whenever that drops.

As someone whose preference is to play a defensive counter attacking system, I'm encouraged that this side of the game is getting some love. 

Although, to be fair, I have had decent success replicating these systems in FM22. But any improvements aren't to be sniffed at. 

Hopefully, the recruitment revamp will also benefit the AI managers, as I've heard a lot of gripes about the AI's lack of sensible squad building. 

Hopefully there will be a match engine review to look forward to in the near future. 

Edited by DementedHammer
Typo

15 minutes ago, 2feet said:

Does your FM team play in the premier league? Or in Liga? Is gegenpressing just as effective in la liga? Ive never played there myself

I have used plenty of teams in different leagues. Gegenpress dominates them all, if you use it.

It isn't the fact that it is a decent tactic to use - it is the fact it is overpowered, as I said plug it into the current, for example, Leicester squad you would be looking at CL places as a minimum. There is very little effect to using gegenpress for an entire 90mins - teams don't play that way in real life. We were told that would not be allowed to happen this year, you wouldn't be able to plug and play gegenpress for an entire 90mins every game. Yet you can.

48 minutes ago, Cro-cop said:

This looks meh. When they announce dynamic manager timline and supporters confidence as headline feature, i cant feel anything but dissappointment.

No new set pieces system. Another year of international footbal thats the same for more than 10-15 years. Graphics, stadiums, players etc looks the same.

Honestly, i dont know what needs to happen for me to buy the game this year. My only hope is AI squad building is much improved

Genuine question, whats appealing about international football? 

• Scout players by watching them 
  • Choose Squad 
  • Hardly train them 
  • play 6 games a year and then tournaments 

There really isn't much to add unless you want to go so deep and have impact on development of youth players and bring out a style of play for the national team (e.g. have an impact which makes England develop more technical players). If that a the case the amount of resources to develop that would be a detriment to the core game and I dont think the majority of players want to do that. 

2 minutes ago, davehanson said:

I have used plenty of teams in different leagues. Gegenpress dominates them all, if you use it.

It isn't the fact that it is a decent tactic to use - it is the fact it is overpowered, as I said plug it into the current, for example, Leicester squad you would be looking at CL places as a minimum. There is very little effect to using gegenpress for an entire 90mins - teams don't play that way in real life. We were told that would not be allowed to happen this year, you wouldn't be able to plug and play gegenpress for an entire 90mins every game. Yet you can.

Well I found if your player has less than 12 stamina then you can get to about 60 minutes before needing to sub.

With 12 stamina you can get to about 75 minutes.

38 minutes ago, BnadnerB said:

Surely its time for someone else to take the reins from Miles…

The game/studio needs new impetus, manager timeline is now a headline feature?

Great job in getting the game this point and popularity but its time to move on Mr Jacobson.

What were you looking for in terms of features? Feel like we're at the point where most of the things are in there and need to be tweeked 

I have my gripes with FM and will continue to say that this game would be twice as good if it has competition but it think all they need to do now is invest in the engine 

42 minutes ago, lukavski said:

So...

No Japan.

No International Manager Revamp.

No tactics revamp, just a reorganization and simplification.

No option to Coach only Youth teams.

Regen Faces look just a little better.

No "new Youth/Player main team debut match" screen they talked about. 

New Supporter's Panel looks... plain.

Manager Dynamic timeline is a nice addition only if it can be seen in all managers in the game and not just player manager, but I will guess it's not the case.

Match Engine looks the same.

No new big World-building feature AGAIN.

I hope they announce A LOT of quality of life features...

I will stick to FM22 for now.

I wonder what would you write if they annouced Japan (who are licensed fully to konami so I don't really know what you expected) or new regen faces as "headline feature" and spent 8 minutes talking about each of them.

8 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Genuine question, whats appealing about international football? 

• Scout players by watching them 
  • Choose Squad 
  • Hardly train them 
  • play 6 games a year and then tournaments 

There really isn't much to add unless you want to go so deep and have impact on development of youth players and bring out a style of play for the national team (e.g. have an impact which makes England develop more technical players). If that a the case the amount of resources to develop that would be a detriment to the core game and I dont think the majority of players want to do that. 

Nothing is appealing. That exactly is the point. Someone says that not a lot of people are playing international. Of course they are not, because its the same since forever. There is a good discussion on this forum about what could have been done to improve it.

Personally, i dont think its priority. I just added an example of whats neglected for years, but they are adding dynamic manager timeline as a headline feature

1 minute ago, lukavski said:

Right now, not much.

But...

If they add:

1. Squad Dynamics, relationships (good and bad) between players.

2. A GOOD national legends podium panel.

3. A better and unique World Cup experience (Social Media, players to watch, match and tournaments predictions, etc).

4. Dynamic Supporters' opinions for each player (for player matches in their clubs and with their national team, ratings, player personality, etc).

This would be a nice addition to clubs too.

5. Better Scouts/Assitant manager feedback with stat cards and matches performances packs to replace the already old "Nation Pool".

It would be a lot better, right?

1. There is reason why player's personality is at worst "Balanced". Players (or players' union) would not be happy if the game would decides who likes who on its own.

2. How does that improve gameplay?

3. Do you really use the socal media part of the game?

4. The same as 1.

5. Yes, improved scouting would be nice.

1 minute ago, xkvicd said:

I wonder what would you write if they annouced Japan (who are licensed fully to konami so I don't really know what you expected) or new regen faces as "headline feature" and spent 8 minutes talking about each of them.

We had Zebre...
We can have a fictional Japanese league.

New Regen Faces would be awesome...

Regen faces are very important to us who play way beyond real players' careers. It's one of the best ways to make players feel unique and to deepen immersion.

Right now a lot of players play the game with regen faces turned off because of how they look.

17 minutes ago, 2feet said:

Well I found if your player has less than 12 stamina then you can get to about 60 minutes before needing to sub.

With 12 stamina you can get to about 75 minutes.

I have had players with a lot less than 12 stamina get to full time - again another point. You can have a full team on low fitness by the end of the game, I have never seen it make any difference at all. Luka Modric for example - again Real Madrid, don't have to sub him at 60 or 75 mins. It makes no difference if I leave him on for the entire game.

Why do you feel you need to sub players on 60 or 75 mins?