Why do most striker roles move into channels?

In my opinion this should be a customisable option. There’s no reason why move into channels should be a forced preset for all st roles except for false nine and poacher. I want my advanced forward for example to stay in the central channel and do everything an advanced forward would do apart from running the channels

what is Si’s logic behind this because I don’t understand it at all.

2 minutes ago, _mxrky said:

I want my advanced forward for example to stay in the central channel and do everything an advanced forward would do apart from running the channels

then you need a poacher. The description you gave sounds to me more like a poacher than an advanced forward 

Just now, DarJ said:

then you need a poacher. The description you gave sounds to me more like a poacher than an advanced forward 

Well not really because poachers have dribble less and take fewer risks hard coded

Always remember that just because a player has an instruction hard coded (or asked to do so by us managers as an optional PI) doesn’t mean they’ll always be doing it.  They’ll just try to do so a bit more often.  And even then that’ll only happen without other external influences, for example a player’s position in a formation (such as a lone striker in the STC position vs two strikers at STCL/R).  There are loads of factors which will have an influence on player behaviour.

To answer the question re. SI’s logic it’s because that’s how strikers tend to be trained in real life.  One of the skills they learn is running the channels but, as described above, they won’t always look to run the channels - it’s just one of the weapons in their arsenal and won’t be used all the time.

In terms of asking the question, have you therefore noticed issues on the pitch with your Advanced Forward’s movement?

39 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Always remember that just because a player has an instruction hard coded (or asked to do so by us managers as an optional PI) doesn’t mean they’ll always be doing it.  They’ll just try to do so a bit more often.  And even then that’ll only happen without other external influences, for example a player’s position in a formation (such as a lone striker in the STC position vs two strikers at STCL/R).  There are loads of factors which will have an influence on player behaviour.

To answer the question re. SI’s logic it’s because that’s how strikers tend to be trained in real life.  One of the skills they learn is running the channels but, as described above, they won’t always look to run the channels - it’s just one of the weapons in their arsenal and won’t be used all the time.

In terms of asking the question, have you therefore noticed issues on the pitch with your Advanced Forward’s movement?

Advanced forward will often vacate the central channel in favour of running the channels which means I’m sometimes unable to combine centrally in the middle of the pitch. When I’m attacking all 5 channels I mostly want my striker staying central. In my opinion with move into channels drift too much  to one side. Especially when I already have roles doing the exact same thing

Edited by _mxrky

So... Let me see if I get it right: You want a static advanced forward who will stay with his man instead of going a little bit to the side, then he will risk even more by trying to beat this man. Did I get it? Anyway to get serious, it's not the role that does this, it's the attack duty imo. It seems that you want someone with a support duty like dlf-su or pressing forward - su or f9.

2 hours ago, Poison said:

So... Let me see if I get it right: You want a static advanced forward who will stay with his man instead of going a little bit to the side, then he will risk even more by trying to beat this man. Did I get it? Anyway to get serious, it's not the role that does this, it's the attack duty imo. It seems that you want someone with a support duty like dlf-su or pressing forward - su or f9.

No what I want is a forward I’m that occupies the centre backs in the central channel predominantly without drifting to the sides to much. Basically a false nine in terms of its positioning vertically, but with a higher mentality 

15 hours ago, _mxrky said:

No what I want is a forward I’m that occupies the centre backs in the central channel predominantly without drifting to the sides to much. Basically a false nine in terms of its positioning vertically, but with a higher mentality 

can´t you tick in the option to hold position?

16 hours ago, _mxrky said:

A Poacher or a Target Man will do the job

On 23/09/2022 at 17:44, _mxrky said:

I think you might want a DLF(A)?

But re. your original question, as has been said, the game reflects roles that are trained IRL.

Another consideration - if SI allowed 100% customisation of roles and duties, it'd be impossible for AI "managers" to cope with that when playing your side as it'd be against infinite combinations.

4 saat önce, Lord Rowell said:

But re. your original question, as has been said, the game reflects roles that are trained IRL.

False Nine used to have the MIC instruction but DLFs didn't, now it's vice versa. For what reason SI decided to change that? I don't believe it was based on real-life training of the said roles. 

But i completely agree with the second point you made. Full customization would create a mess, however i think "Move Into Channels" should not be something that is locked-in for vast majority of ST roles.

• 2 months later...

Bringing this up again and people might be right with poacher role. Although i wish take less risks and dribble more wasn’t hard coded. The way Richarlison played yesterday is pretty much what I’m looking for. He didn’t run the channels at all just stayed central 

4 hours ago, _mxrky said:

Bringing this up again and people might be right with poacher role. Although i wish take less risks and dribble more wasn’t hard coded. The way Richarlison played yesterday is pretty much what I’m looking for. He didn’t run the channels at all just stayed central 

Yeah, that didn't happen. Let's see his heatmap, conveniently compared to a striker who  genuinely doesn't move wide, Mitrovic:

heatmap.png

4 hours ago, LatZee said:

Yeah, that didn't happen. Let's see his heatmap, conveniently compared to a striker who  genuinely doesn't move wide, Mitrovic:

heatmap.png

Eh heatmaps aren’t everything. I watched the game he remained very central 

Il 26/11/2022 in 12:46 , themadsheep2001 ha scritto:

Richarlison ran the channels when the ball was central and deeper and there were no high wide options, but stayed central when the ball was high on the flanks.

That's an advanced forward

Yeah but in the game it happens AF goes on the channel with a mezzala(f.e.) when the ball is on the flank or a bit deeper. The question is not wrong. 

The most customizable role is probably the pressing forward on support, if it wasn't for the pressing instructions. 

Edited by Andrew Marines

1 ora fa, michael_hughes ha scritto:

If a striker was static (especially an AF), they wouldn’t score much.  An AF is by far the best role for a striker but you need to have creativity around him.  MIC is an annoying instruction but as has been mentioned, most strikers IRL do that.

There aren't static strikers anymore irl(except for a few cases) but even in this situation, having someone that moves to the side to attack the channel could not be what op is thinking(cause the channels could be already occupied or simply cause he doesn't wanna lose the player up there centrally). Op just wanna have different options and that is totally fair

On 29/11/2022 at 17:37, Andrew Marines said:

There aren't static strikers anymore irl(except for a few cases) but even in this situation, having someone that moves to the side to attack the channel could not be what op is thinking(cause the channels could be already occupied or simply cause he doesn't wanna lose the player up there centrally). Op just wanna have different options and that is totally fair

The OP says he wants his striker to stay central, which is what static is.  If he did that, he’d have a lot more issues than having his striker move into channels.  To create space, you need movement, both IRL and in game and working the channels does exactly that.

On 24/09/2022 at 10:03, kingjericho said:

A Poacher or a Target Man will do the job

Spot on 

On 23/09/2022 at 12:29, _mxrky said:

In my opinion this should be a customisable option. There’s no reason why move into channels should be a forced preset for all st roles except for false nine and poacher. I want my advanced forward for example to stay in the central channel and do everything an advanced forward would do apart from running the channels

what is Si’s logic behind this because I don’t understand it at all.

A poacher 

Remember Traits affect the roles too, for example Troy Deeney "play with his back to goal" I regularly play him as a Poacher but because of that trait, he adds a little more to the role and will often drop off to link and "Poach" so that's a feasible way around locked PIs. In your case a striker with "tries killer balls" and "runs with ball often" would be a work around  

Maybe one for the requests boards but it's been requested before. A fully customisable striker role would be amazing but the AI have to use these roles too 

That's not on topic, but i wish we had an option (or trait) for lone strikers who goes to the far post everytime the ball is wide (like Ibra on Man Utd), that would create a interesting way of setting the wide plays for your teams (with isolation or overload)

Cheers,
Bitner 

Il 2/12/2022 in 12:53 , michael_hughes ha scritto:

The OP says he wants his striker to stay central, which is what static is.  If he did that, he’d have a lot more issues than having his striker move into channels.  To create space, you need movement, both IRL and in game and working the channels does exactly that.

The discussion is not about wheter the striker has issues or not, it is about the fact that there's not an option to customize one to obtain the movements we want. 
Even a poacher moves to the channel if there's the possibility from time to time but i still can't understand why he should have "dribble less" hard-coded. This is just an example.

Even Bitner's idea is good and is something we can't currently do in-game

4 ore fa, Bitner ha scritto:

That's not on topic, but i wish we had an option (or trait) for lone strikers who goes to the far post everytime the ball is wide (like Ibra on Man Utd), that would create a interesting way of setting the wide plays for your teams (with isolation or overload)

Cheers,
Bitner 

We are just talking about opportunities