When a player retires...

berto_pereira

I don´t know if it is a bug or not, but I consider that sometimes the players retirement is quite unfair for the club.

I'll give you a concrete example:

I've bought Cristiano Ronaldo for 50 million Euros, and gave him a 3 year deal, wich he happilly signed! At the end of the first season, he decides it's time to retire! I know, it was a risky deal from my behalf, butt still...it's very unfair!!!!!! Well, I'm not an expert in legal matters, but I think that in such a case, if a player decides to break a contract, he would have to compensate the club!

Can anyone tell me if I'm right, and can this be repaired in the future?

• SI Staff

I think largely a player retiring while under contract is just something taken in good faith as a sort of gesture of goodwill. If someone says "I no longer want to be paid huge sums for this anymore" its difficult to kind of force them to carry on. Completely understand the sentiment though, as a person who likes to bring in older players myself its a frustration whenever you lose them when it feels like they've still got something to give.

A player could end up retiring at any time through injuries and other matters. It's an inherent risk of the sport. In this instance its just a harsh outcome which can and does ultimately happen. 

You may wish to post a bug here: https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2022-bugs-forum/570_all-other-gameplay/

Should you wish for it to be investigated further of course.