Counterattacking 433 DM

Hey all, working on my tactical awareness and knowledge. Writing my thoughts help organize my mind, and happy to get any feedback that comes to mind! Let me know what you think.

My team is a mid-table Bundesliga side, average in most things, but the team has the best work rate and teamwork in the league. I'm trying to play a counter attacking style with this setup, switching to a higher intense press for short bursts. Specifically with this tactic, I'm noticing some failed attacking transitions down the left flank. I started with FB(A)/IW(A), but there was a huge gap and the IW was always running away from the FB who was left with few passing options. I switched my to WB(A)/IW(S) and I noticed some improvement but did see a few failed attacks from the BBM when the ball was being worked up the left. I think I'm going to keep this for the next few games and see how we go, but any comments appreciated.

Screenshot (21).png

Ok so the BBM and CM(a) are both aggressive and the wings are the main threats on the counter so what I look for is at least one AML/R on an attack duty. If I take the Right winger and use him as an W(a) then the winger would be protected by the wingback on support and swap the CM(a) with the BBM(s), I do this so he can roam to the winger, the wingback and back to the DM so there is a passing option. DM can be a bit too close to opposition press on support but as long as it works then it should be fine. The IW(s) can work although I would add some player instructions like Get further forward and roam from position because I would want some urgency when on the counter attack also it gives more space for the wingback to move up. Instead of the CM(a), I would use a MEZ or CAR since the DM bridges the gap. 

Try lowering the engagement line, it works well for me. Cautious mentality would help too. If you have the player, use a deep lying forward / f9 instead, you'll get some nice counters from the wingers this way. Poacher with short passing... mehh idk. Does he return deep at all in this version? i haven't played with a poacher at all.

18 hours ago, De Nile said:

Ok so the BBM and CM(a) are both aggressive and the wings are the main threats on the counter so what I look for is at least one AML/R on an attack duty. If I take the Right winger and use him as an W(a) then the winger would be protected by the wingback on support and swap the CM(a) with the BBM(s), I do this so he can roam to the winger, the wingback and back to the DM so there is a passing option. DM can be a bit too close to opposition press on support but as long as it works then it should be fine. The IW(s) can work although I would add some player instructions like Get further forward and roam from position because I would want some urgency when on the counter attack also it gives more space for the wingback to move up. Instead of the CM(a), I would use a MEZ or CAR since the DM bridges the gap. 

It was suggested to me that the IW(S) doesn't have enough outlets to set up in attack, so I'm going to try an IF(A) on the right wing as well. Good point about the aggressive CM roles. Changing the BBM to a BWM(S) may shore up my defense a bit, and depending how the CM(A) works with the IF(A), I might try a MEZ(A) as well.

2 hours ago, PatrickReynolds said:

It was suggested to me that the IW(S) doesn't have enough outlets to set up in attack, so I'm going to try an IF(A) on the right wing as well. Good point about the aggressive CM roles. Changing the BBM to a BWM(S) may shore up my defense a bit, and depending how the CM(A) works with the IF(A), I might try a MEZ(A) as well.

And if you need any help with the cm(a) you can ask the CM(attack) thread 

12 hours ago, Poison said:

Try lowering the engagement line, it works well for me. Cautious mentality would help too. If you have the player, use a deep lying forward / f9 instead, you'll get some nice counters from the wingers this way. Poacher with short passing... mehh idk. Does he return deep at all in this version? i haven't played with a poacher at all.

You wouldn't really want a poacher that drops deep initially because they get the goals however when the ball does come to them they usually play a pass to person nearest to them. You can make a poacher drop deep by using PI's and traits. It's good at doing what it does and is even more effective: when there is more suppliers trying to feed him the ball and when the tactic is contracted to making and exploiting space. Take Haaland, (of course he's much more than just a classic nine) but in that city team I would say he has the poacher mindset more so in the box, outside of the box, he moves to exploit space, make good passes and isn't afraid of taking his chances when entering the final third.