4-4-2 Diamond Low Block - The Guide

• Cleon changed the title to 4-4-2 Diamond Low Block - The Guide

great guide , man!

a few quest:

what type of players needs to play defensive football (ex : for CB good positioning ; for a MEZ & B2B high stamina ...) ?

what stats made needs a good AP ?

no Cleon no party, is nice too see you again 

15 minutes ago, llado01 said:

great guide , man!

a few quest:

what type of players needs to play defensive football (ex : for CB good positioning ; for a MEZ & B2B high stamina ...) ?

what stats made needs a good AP ?

no Cleon no party, is nice too see you again 

My players aren't that great, like I said in the article they're around Championship standard now if we compare to English sides. But I've played this style for 10 years and still used it when I first started. When all my players had single digits. The game already shows the recommended attributes they think the players need though for the roles. Just use those if you are struggling.

Edited by Cleon

3 hours ago, Aoyao said:

How does Counterattack works in much short passing and lower tempo?

Well during most transition phases you'd have less urgency to get the ball forward as quickly and you'd pass it around much more and waste valuable time. During this time the opposition has likely regained it's defensive positioning. Remember what a counterattack is and the purpose of one. If you want to pass it around more and play lower tempo then counterattacking likely isn't what you want at all imo

On 14/09/2022 at 19:02, Cleon said:

Keep an eye on the player who is circled; that’s the box-to-box midfielder. He is already coming across to deal with the danger. This means that the left wingback can keep his position in the defensive line and keep an eye on the player nearest to him. If he was to come across, then our line would be breached. Which is something we don’t want happening.

what combination of instructions or scenarios made it so that the WB didn't go across to cover the opposition player despite the fact you have asked them to trigger the press more often? It frustrates me so much when my defenders step up very early, giving up space behind instead of either holding their line or dropping or waiting for the other nearby players to engage the opposition and I would like to know how to stop that from happening. 

17 minutes ago, DarJ said:

what combination of instructions or scenarios made it so that the WB didn't go across to cover the opposition player despite the fact you have asked them to trigger the press more often? It frustrates me so much when my defenders step up very early, giving up space behind instead of either holding their line or dropping or waiting for the other nearby players to engage the opposition and I would like to know how to stop that from happening. 

It's a combination of the low defensive line and low line of engagement. That's it. The key to stop it happening is the line of engagement. 

Great thread as per, nice to have you back :) Do you think any particular formation(s) are good for this style? I'm guessing we can rule top-heavy formations out... thinking 4231 deep (CM + 2 DM's), 4411 DM, 4141, 352 DM are all good shouts!

5 hours ago, jc577 said:

Great thread as per, nice to have you back :) Do you think any particular formation(s) are good for this style? I'm guessing we can rule top-heavy formations out... thinking 4231 deep (CM + 2 DM's), 4411 DM, 4141, 352 DM are all good shouts!

Formations that are top heavy aren't really suited to this yeah as it relies on having players deep.

2 hours ago, Cleon said:

Formations that are top heavy aren't really suited to this yeah as it relies on having players deep.

Thanks. How crucial do you think having a DM is to this style? Or let’s say, in a 442 for example, the lack of DM can/is mitigated by how deep and compact the team is, limiting space between the lines? 

39 minutes ago, jc577 said:

Thanks. How crucial do you think having a DM is to this style? Or let’s say, in a 442 for example, the lack of DM can/is mitigated by how deep and compact the team is, limiting space between the lines? 

I don't think anything is crucial in isolation. I don't think a DM is a must either as your entire team should be deep, so you should always have the numbers players this way. One of the midfielders should likely be more defensive minded but doesn't have to be in the DM slot imo

7 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

@Cleondo you agree that it's almost impossible to play that same way later in the game when you'll have a better squad and teams start playing more defensive against you? Or is it something you can see working long term?

No. I spoke about this in the article. I'm the best team in my league and still play this way. I'm 12 years into this save btw.

Edited by Cleon

So, you write about how you need to pay attention to details and that this is a difficult tactic to master and so on. But you also (i believe) write that you dont need to watch a full game/extended highligts of a game? 

So my question is: Now that you've seemingly created a very good tactic - how much "work" do I need to do when using this tactic? Is it a tactic where you need to analyize the hightlights/game carefully, or is it pretty much a plug and play-kind of tactic.

1 hour ago, Mutumba said:

So, you write about how you need to pay attention to details and that this is a difficult tactic to master and so on. But you also (i believe) write that you dont need to watch a full game/extended highligts of a game? 

So my question is: Now that you've seemingly created a very good tactic - how much "work" do I need to do when using this tactic? Is it a tactic where you need to analyize the hightlights/game carefully, or is it pretty much a plug and play-kind of tactic.

I've not posted a tactic really, I've posted about low-block football and shown examples of how I play currently, to highlight the fundamental parts of how low-blocks work on the game and what is needed to be successful. This topic is more about the building blocks/principles of playing this way and getting it. So in short it's not plug and play no.

I say you don' need to watch extensive/full games once you know how something works. There will be lots of people on here who can just make any formation work without any analysing etc. Others need time. It all comes down to how well you understand how the actually works.

I also can't answer how much work you would need to do as I don't know you or your understanding of the game. That's all down to you. It will differ for each person. Some people likely might need a one game, others a few games to know it's working etc. Others might need a season or so depending on their understanding.

Edited by Cleon

I never understood one thing. Why does the default direct counter-attack template come with cautious mentality + lower DL/LOE? Doesn't a cautious mentality imply a lower DL/LOE by default? The same question applies for positive/attacking templates like gegenpress which come with positive/attacking mentality + higher DL/LOE to boot.

I see that you are using 2 playmaker roles despite your intention to play counter-attacking and direct football. Don't you find that these roles slow play down or is that perhaps intended as a form of balance?

4 hours ago, Ein said:

I never understood one thing. Why does the default direct counter-attack template come with cautious mentality + lower DL/LOE? Doesn't a cautious mentality imply a lower DL/LOE by default? The same question applies for positive/attacking templates like gegenpress which come with positive/attacking mentality + higher DL/LOE to boot.

I see that you are using 2 playmaker roles despite your intention to play counter-attacking and direct football. Don't you find that these roles slow play down or is that perhaps intended as a form of balance?

They can speed play up too. Look at the settings the two playmaker roles have and you can see they don't slow play down. Then look at the team instructions I use to get the players to play more direct, faster tempo etc.

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

They can speed play up too. Look at the settings the two playmaker roles have and you can see they don't slow play down. Then look at the team instructions I use to get the players to play more direct, faster tempo etc.

What I meant is that playmakers supposedly act as ball magnets so the other players will tend to look for them instead of attempting more direct and/or quick plays. Is there a particular reason behind the use of playmaking roles in such a counter-attacking tactic?

32 minutes ago, Ein said:

What I meant is that playmakers supposedly act as ball magnets so the other players will tend to look for them instead of attempting more direct and/or quick plays. Is there a particular reason behind the use of playmaking roles in such a counter-attacking tactic?

The effects of players attracting the ball is greatly exaggerated on here and elsewhere. While it's true there might be a slight bias towards using them as passing outlets, the effects are nowhere near as profound as people think.

I also thought I touched upon the reasons for the playmakers in the midfield section of the article.

I want a player here who can dictate the game from deep and recycle possession. I'm looking for a player who handles all the routine tasks and motivates the other midfielders. I want a player who does all the simple stuff and makes the rest of the midfield tick. This is why I’ve gone with a deep-lying playmaker to help with this. Due to him being on defensive duty, he should hold his position better and not support attacks.

A bit like with the deep-lying playmaker, the advanced playmaker is expected to keep the ball and play balls to the more attack-minded players and be the creative outlet in the final third. It’s no use having all these runners if there is no one able to actually create for them.

5 runners in the tactic. You need people who can be creative and who will be focused on passing to them and able to get the ball to them. No use having everyone as a runner if there is no one to supply the ball. Playmakers are fine in all set-ups and all different styles of play.

Also remember, as I state in the article, every attack we have isn't always a fast direct counter. 

Edited by Cleon

I enjoyed the article and thought it was well written! I have a couple of questions for you though:

What inspired the SK(a)? I hadn't thought about using one in a defensive formation before and I'm curious what drew you to it.

How much importance do you put on set piece routines with "Play for Set Pieces" on? Are they a big source of goals and do they ever frustrate you by slowing down an attack? It's not an instruction I've used very often. 

1 hour ago, Cal585 said:

I enjoyed the article and thought it was well written! I have a couple of questions for you though:

What inspired the SK(a)? I hadn't thought about using one in a defensive formation before and I'm curious what drew you to it.

How much importance do you put on set piece routines with "Play for Set Pieces" on? Are they a big source of goals and do they ever frustrate you by slowing down an attack? It's not an instruction I've used very often. 

Even though we are deep, I want the keeper to be proactive still and deal with any defensive mishaps, especially if we've just had a counterattack and could possibly have players out of position. I find it better than just having him stand there. This way he'll step up and deal with threats if he thinks he can.

As for the play for set pieces, it doesn't slow play down as they only tend to do this when no option is on or if they're tackled and lose possession. It's not always a constant thing if that makes sense.

22 horas atrás, Cleon disse:

I'll be dropping part two of this next week. It focuses on what happens when we aren't the underdogs and shows you how the tactic in the original post plays out.

That's great! I'm looking forward to read it and see how you do it, if you change things or keep it the same

4 hours ago, mikcheck said:

That's great! I'm looking forward to read it and see how you do it, if you change things or keep it the same

Cheers, I don't actually change anything. I just want to highlight how it plays differently against different types of opposition. As people think low block only works if people attack you etc 

36 minutos atrás, Cleon disse:

Cheers, I don't actually change anything. I just want to highlight how it plays differently against different types of opposition. As people think low block only works if people attack you etc 

So you keep that tempo high even if the opposition is defending with low lines?

18 minutes ago, Andrew Marines said:

I know it's only an headline but what do you think about what they said about FM23? They talked about being able to defend in other ways but we found out that you already can. It'll surely be a bit more complicated but it doesn't seem much like a feature

Nothing to really say until we know what they were talking about. Could just mean something has been reworked, could be a new feature. We just don't know.

2 hours ago, Djeon36 said:

I

How would you set up a 442 tactic with this idea? I've been trying to see if I can use your ideas in a 442 but can't seem to get it to work.

I'd approach it with the same principles I talk about in the thread. So it's down to you to balance that out with the roles you select. Maybe more info from yourself would make it possible to offer actual advice rather than generalised stuff though. As I've no idea what you've tried or what your tactic looked like. And most importantly, I don't know how it didn't work and the issues you had with getting it to work. I'm happy to offer more advice if you can be more detailed.

I'd like to share my experience with low blocks, I have written on that topic before, but I did not manage to get initially passive low blocks to work well. I was working on a very similar project using a 4-2-4 DM, a formation which I view as quite balanced, but I was struggling to get the team to attack effectively. This great thread has given some ideas which made things click well, and started a new save with Udinese (expected to finish 16th) to being things from scratch.

At the beginning, I have fallen in the mistake of using conservative roles and TIs in low blocks with lower mentalities. This is correct if I want to shut up shop and be happy with a point, but that is not what i want. As @Cleonclearly explains, being deep and initially passive, does not mean you should not attack well. I fixed this using a neutral formation with aggressive roles and duties and adding aggressive TIs (More direct passing + higher tempo), the changes that made our team look VERY dangerous everytime we win the ball.

DcxvyiJ.jpeg

Additionally, it is not that we are passive and look only to attack on the counter. We can play a lot of passing football and create chances from open play, an example is our latest goal, against top of the league Napoli - which I started on Defensive mentality due to the massive pace in the starting lineup of Napoli-:

fm_iu1cSlVlW6.gif.9d856df28ad6ecf6f773da2d54214945.gif

and below is our avg positions with and without the ball, in spite of using the defensive mentality the entire game

mxjh8YT.jpeg

fKqL4kI.jpeg

and our current form so far - conceding 4 in 10 so far

tsB8KAR.jpeg

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the ideas presented here are quite clear and is basically what most people look for in a low block that attacks well. Thanks a lot @Cleon!

On 30/09/2022 at 10:56, Cleon said:

I'd approach it with the same principles I talk about in the thread. So it's down to you to balance that out with the roles you select. Maybe more info from yourself would make it possible to offer actual advice rather than generalised stuff though. As I've no idea what you've tried or what your tactic looked like. And most importantly, I don't know how it didn't work and the issues you had with getting it to work. I'm happy to offer more advice if you can be more detailed.

Here's what I've been working with based from the posts. I'm still tinkering with many roles since I'm still pretty new to making tactics and don't understand all of the roles yet but I think I'm understanding the point in trying to make the tactic more deadly on the counter. Let me know if there is any changes you would recommend.

image.png.be716d5d21f2f42d89f09d149b413088.png

What's the idea behind both strikers being attacking, both wingers attacking and both wingbacks defensive? What was the idea/logic behind it all? Also what kind of issues are you facing when playing this way as you said you was struggling.

5 hours ago, Cleon said:

What's the idea behind both strikers being attacking, both wingers attacking and both wingbacks defensive? What was the idea/logic behind it all? Also what kind of issues are you facing when playing this way as you said you was struggling.

My Idea behind this tactic is to have the left WB overlap the left IW and cross into the box for the DLF. To be honest I haven't tried DLF too much but I've heard its basically like a TF but who can dribble its something I'm trying to experiment. I think I've realized that I'm focusing too much on trying to get my TF to be the #1 scorer so I'm trying to diversify my team with more attackers. The Wingers are on attacking to provide better offense since I've been struggling to score goals.  My main issue with the wingers is to get them defending narrow. I realized that wingers don't do much defending even on support duty. I'm currently experimenting with Wide Midfielders but I've never used them before. 

Edited by Djeon36

@Cleondo you still playing with that same team? If so, how advanced are you? I'm asking this because that system relies a a lot on the attacking WB's, they really need to be good and excel.  But it's known that the game does not produce many quality WB newgens, with good attacking attributes. Finding one with good dribbling and crossing it's like finding gold, let alone good off the ball too.

So how are you solving or how would you solve that?  Training wingers to be WB's?

Edited by mikcheck

1 hour ago, Djeon36 said:

My Idea behind this tactic is to have the left WB overlap the left IW and cross into the box for the DLF. To be honest I haven't tried DLF too much but I've heard its basically like a TF but who can dribble its something I'm trying to experiment. I think I've realized that I'm focusing too much on trying to get my TF to be the #1 scorer so I'm trying to diversify my team with more attackers. The Wingers are on attacking to provide better offense since I've been struggling to score goals.  My main issue with the wingers is to get them defending narrow. I realized that wingers don't do much defending even on support duty. I'm currently experimenting with Wide Midfielders but I've never used them before. 

How does a defensive WB overlap an attacking IW though? The IW is placed much higher up the pitch than the WB and you've instructed the WB to be even more deeper and less adventurous as you've told him to use a defensive duty. There will be no overlap majority of the time.

If you have time you could perhaps read my book I created? As it's about creating a tactic and answers a lot of these issues/questions you have atm

https://www.viewfromthetouchline.com/2022/08/19/football-manager-playbook-released/

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

@Cleondo you still playing with that same team? If so, how advanced are you? I'm asking this because that system relies a a lot on the attacking WB's, they really need to be good and excel.  But it's known that the game does not produce many quality WB newgens, with good attacking attributes. Finding one with good dribbling and crossing it's like finding gold, let alone good off the ball too.

So how are you solving or how would you solve that?  Training wingers to be WB's?

I've played this exact same way since I started the game also starting in the lowest playable league in Iceland. I'm now 13 seasons in. Majority of my players has single digit attributes for 7+ years anyway.

Just because someone might have bad crossing/low dribbling doesn't mean they can't excel at those things though. They still get lots of assists, lots of goals, makes lots of dribbles etc. So I'm not exactly sure what you're asking here because it's not a major issue that the game doesn't produce, the players still do what I want.

4 hours ago, Djeon36 said:

The Wingers are on attacking to provide better offense

I’d just like to pick up on this point because it isn’t necessarily the case that attack duty = “better” offence.

Sometimes a player starting from a deeper position (ie., a support duty) can offer better options with more variety in attack, perhaps also drawing defenders out of position to give additional space to your strikers.  You may of course find that your attacking play is fine with both Wingers on attack, but don’t be afraid to experiment with support duties if you find things aren’t quite working out as you’d expect 👍.

(As an aside, I don’t like to have symmetry of roles/duties on both flanks to help with variety of attacking play, but that isn’t to say such symmetry can’t work).

A masterpiece as always Cleon! Thank you.

On 14.09.2022 at 21:02, Cleon said:

This is just a direct move, something which people often think is a counterattack. But they’re both different things.

Kinda off-topic but I want to say something on this point here. It's completely possible to play direct football in a progressive, dominant, attacking manner. When people try to replicate Mourinho's Madrid, i see that they always select most negative TIs possible. Lowest lines, lowest mentalities, lowest pressing settings etc alongside all hoofball instructions. They confuse being vertical with counter-attacks. Madrid under Mourinho was one of the most ball-dominant sides in Europe, just after Barca and Bayern. And they used to press high, set their DL so high either.

On 01/10/2022 at 17:54, engamohd said:

I'd like to share my experience with low blocks, I have written on that topic before, but I did not manage to get initially passive low blocks to work well. I was working on a very similar project using a 4-2-4 DM, a formation which I view as quite balanced, but I was struggling to get the team to attack effectively. This great thread has given some ideas which made things click well, and started a new save with Udinese (expected to finish 16th) to being things from scratch.

At the beginning, I have fallen in the mistake of using conservative roles and TIs in low blocks with lower mentalities. This is correct if I want to shut up shop and be happy with a point, but that is not what i want. As @Cleonclearly explains, being deep and initially passive, does not mean you should not attack well. I fixed this using a neutral formation with aggressive roles and duties and adding aggressive TIs (More direct passing + higher tempo), the changes that made our team look VERY dangerous everytime we win the ball.

DcxvyiJ.jpeg

Additionally, it is not that we are passive and look only to attack on the counter. We can play a lot of passing football and create chances from open play, an example is our latest goal, against top of the league Napoli - which I started on Defensive mentality due to the massive pace in the starting lineup of Napoli-:

and below is our avg positions with and without the ball, in spite of using the defensive mentality the entire game

mxjh8YT.jpeg

fKqL4kI.jpeg

tsB8KAR.jpeg

I don't want to hijack this thread, but the ideas presented here are quite clear and is basically what most people look for in a low block that attacks well. Thanks a lot @Cleon!

I gave this a whirl in my Anderlecht save, and have to say it works really well. Defensively we are very solid, and going up the pitch we look dangerous.

I tried my hands on a 4-2-2-2 trying to create the same movement but with ML (with an IW on attack) and MR (W on support) and it just seems they are a bit deep. Also i was surprised with the DLP, I suspected he drifts around quite a bit but so far it has not really caused me any major issues. The only thing I notice is that my defense often gets less ratings. 

16 hours ago, DIESEL.be said:

I gave this a whirl in my Anderlecht save, and have to say it works really well. Defensively we are very solid, and going up the pitch we look dangerous.

I tried my hands on a 4-2-2-2 trying to create the same movement but with ML (with an IW on attack) and MR (W on support) and it just seems they are a bit deep. Also i was surprised with the DLP, I suspected he drifts around quite a bit but so far it has not really caused me any major issues. The only thing I notice is that my defense often gets less ratings. 

I have noticed this too, yes, but I did not yet dug deeper. I think it is due lots of misplaced passes from clearances or that sort of issue

On 01/10/2022 at 17:54, engamohd said:

DcxvyiJ.jpeg

mxjh8YT.jpeg

fKqL4kI.jpeg

tsB8KAR.jpeg

Our season is turning out to be one of the very best sides I have EVER had defensively, noting that I play almost exclusively since over a decade ago focusing on defensive tactics. :lock:

Spoiler

zQWlsiU.jpeg

Fnb0TQL.jpeg

4jGzJCQ.jpeg

BbGvUAC.jpeg

gCirN5i.jpeg

JfAjMHh.jpeg

Edited by engamohd

7 hours ago, engamohd said:

Our season is turning out to be one of the very sides I have EVER had defensively, noting that I play almost exclusively since over a decade ago focusing on defensive tactics. :lock:

Reveal hidden contents

zQWlsiU.jpeg

Fnb0TQL.jpeg

4jGzJCQ.jpeg

BbGvUAC.jpeg

gCirN5i.jpeg

JfAjMHh.jpeg

What changes do you make to set up shop or to be more attacking when needing a gol? 

4 hours ago, ta11zx said:

What changes do you make to set up shop or to be more attacking when needing a gol? 

I follow Cleon’s guide above, I watch if we are getting overrun when the opponent attacks, especially in midfield, I may drop to defensive. I may also add time wasting. I also have a plan B formation 4411 with exact same style which I use when I want to have more control in the midfield.

Attacking wise, it is usually personnel changes so far, nothing drastic.

Edited by engamohd