New Laptop but same amount of Leagues

Good Evening Managers,

I've just updated my Laptop to a vastly improved spec from my little HP Notebook.  I downloaded the game via Steam onto my new laptop, and copied across my saved games, tactics, skins, schedules, etc from the old notebook.  All working as expected, but I was a little surprised to find that when I tried to add a couple more European leagues, the CPU speed was quickly back at 3 stars, which I've always taken to be the minimum, otherwise loading times are just too slow.  The new Laptop is a Razor Blade 15 Advanced, which I thought would allow me to increase my database quite a bit, but I've no chance of including South America and the like even as "view only".

Do I need to start a complete new save to take advantage of my new Laptop, or something else I need to do?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Depends on the spec of the computer. Razers are designed for gaming, and football manager is a processing game, not a graphical one. 

That is it depends on processing power over graphics, rather than traditional games that don't require a top end processor but benefit from top end graphic cards. 

So what spec is the Razer 15? 

Thanks for the replies. I just read that 3 stars and above gave the best game experience.  Interesting point about a gaming laptop, and the type of game 
FM2022 is.  My HP Notepad doesnt have a Graphics Card just the integrated one, and FM2022 looks fine.

I have a powerful PC that I use for MSFS, ETS2 and RF2 all set to Ultra.  Wonder if I downloaded FM2022 on that I could max out the leagues/database?

Anyway, below is the spec on the new Laptop

Razer Blade 15 Advanced - 15.6 Inch Gaming Laptop with 165Hz QHD Display (Intel Core i7-11800H, NVIDIA RTX 3070, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD

Processor Brand ‎Intel
Processor Type ‎Core i7
Processor Speed ‎4.6 GHz
Processor Count ‎8
RAM Size ‎16 GB
Memory Technology ‎DDR4
Computer Memory Type ‎DDR DRAM
Maximum Memory Supported ‎16 GB
Memory Clock Speed ‎3200 MHz
Hard Disk Description ‎SSD
Graphics Chipset Brand ‎Intel
Graphics Card Description ‎RTX 3070
Graphics RAM Type ‎VRAM
Graphics Card Interface ‎Integrated

@Cmdr Christoff Tbh it comes down to preference as its always a trade off between speed vs size, but based on the laptop spec (namely cpu benchmark, as you have plenty of ram at 16g) there is no reason you cant run a 'typical set up' like this

image.png.254f351c152ef03ad4d9b0e9d4c284c1.png

According to the thread @XaW has the same cpu and ram (looks like a very similar spec tbh) so he might be able to point you in the right direction (XaW sorry for the @ again mate, you're gonna block me soon :)).

My cpu is a bit slower and i have 8gb ram and this is my set up and its fine.  I always do a speed test before starting a new save as i like processing times to be roughly equal between saves/versions of the game.

image.thumb.png.b83d8f5595053900e65fac0e37a8a4d3.png

so 10 playable divisions and lots of view only.  i used advanced db to get more euro players and ended up with a processing time (on holiday) of ~45mins for 365 days, which increased to just over an hour after 19yrs (always worth knowing how long term processing might be impacted by these decisions).  These are just indicative but I would imagine yours would be quite a bit quicker as I have a 4th gen AMD.

I've played with just about every league and 125k players, and while it drags a bit our during the transfer deadline day, I played it without much issue for several seasons. It's always hard to gauge what is quick and slow, since it really depends on the expectations. If you load up loads of leagues this will slow down more than if you have a single league. Looking at the performance benchmark that @JAwtunes linked to (Note: remember to block ;)) shows how fast holidaying the various saves was compared to other setups. Of course, being a laptop it has no chance of following the speeds of a custom desktop, but I've not had any issues with how I perceive the speed of my games, even with loads of players and leagues.

This is my current game and it flies even with a 2 star game speed.

59nB1jI.png

Thanks for your help and information Guys. Much appreciated. I will have a play around with it when I'm back with my laptop. On reflection, I think I've just be obsessing over the "stars". I really need to run my save with the new laptop, to get a feel for how it's all going.

Thanks again 👍🏻

I pay very little attention to the star ratings.  For my current save with the database I have loaded, from memory the game gives the game speed a 2 star rating but I personally find the processing speed to be absolutely fine.  Again, it's all personal preference really and as Smurf states the star rating for the game speed is flawed.

On 14/09/2022 at 17:49, ImDaWeasel said:

Understatement. In all aspects of the game where stars are present. They need binned for good.

I'd say they're still useful when it comes to player assessment, albeit only as reliable as your staff's ability to assess these things.

28 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I'd say they're still useful when it comes to player assessment, albeit only as reliable as your staff's ability to assess these things.

Even then with the best staff they ain't. 

Ignore stars! They are useless.

My best ever player over 10 seasons never went above 3 stars according to my world class staff  yet was a 9 time european golden boot winner. 

On 14/09/2022 at 17:49, ImDaWeasel said:

Understatement. In all aspects of the game where stars are present. They need binned for good.

On 16/09/2022 at 11:59, kevhamster said:

This has been taken out of context.

These stars ratings I was referring to was related to the game setup - not staff or anything star related in the game.

On 16/09/2022 at 12:30, ImDaWeasel said:

My best ever player over 10 seasons never went above 3 stars according to my world class staff  yet was a 9 time european golden boot winner. 

So you had Harry Kane? :lol:

Seriously though. I had a player in one FM that was 3 times world player of the year, not even the 3rd best right back in my team, but got 8's 9's every game so I kept playing him.

Out of curiosity when he was going to retire I had a sneak under the hood at his CA/PA and it was only 140 PA max. Yet - 3 times player of the year, right back , tore it up.

Just had the correct stats in the correct place for his job and the role I had for him. He was pure class. 

Have you open/activate all Cores??

Have you activate the hidden battery option for games??

have you open/activate the secondary memory cache ??

Have you design your pc to Run in game mode instead of normal equality mode?

Did you turn off/remove some windows apps that can make you PC slower or you don´t even need?

Edited by Tony Silva

I think FM is software limited where past a certain point upgrading your hardware doesn't help.

For example, there's a recommended limit of 125k players in place that should surely go up the more RAM you have no? If i have 128gb RAM then why can't i utilize 95% of it for FM and load every single player with zero minimal performance hit.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb bluehefner:

I think FM is software limited where past a certain point upgrading your hardware doesn't help.

For example, there's a recommended limit of 125k players in place that should surely go up the more RAM you have no? If i have 128gb RAM then why can't i utilize 95% of it for FM and load every single player with zero minimal performance hit.

It's not an issue of RAM. Even if you load 500k players and 200 playable leagues the game won't need more than 10GB's of RAM. There will be just such a huge amount of data which must be calculated. To speed up FM in the first place, you need the best CPU possible and not 128GB of RAM.

14 hours ago, Daveincid said:

It's not an issue of RAM. Even if you load 500k players and 200 playable leagues the game won't need more than 10GB's of RAM. There will be just such a huge amount of data which must be calculated. To speed up FM in the first place, you need the best CPU possible and not 128GB of RAM.

Well then my point applies to CPU, if i have an i9 9900k and it says 125k players recommended then upgrading to an AMD threadripper should increase the amount of players i can load.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb bluehefner:

Well then my point applies to CPU, if i have an i9 9900k and it says 125k players recommended then upgrading to an AMD threadripper should increase the amount of players i can load.

The game will never show a higher limit as 125k so you can ignore this message.