Big changes at Burnley

I couldn't figure out where to post this, so I guess I'll post it here.

Is the researcher for Burnley prepared for the changes that have happened this season? The board expectations, finances and players/roles have changed a lot this season.

The main changes transfers aside are down to positions and style of play.

Connor Robers and Charlie Taylor are now playing a wide centre back role and the team has moved to playing very possession-based football.

On 08/09/2022 at 12:31, XaW said:

The game should reflect real life, but if you find something wrong in the data of players for any clubs or nations, you can report it in the bug tracker under "database and research" here:

https://community.sigames.com/forums/forum/850-database-and-research/

Thanks, but that is for 2022. I was trying to give a heads-up to the researcher in 2023. It doesn't seem like there's a way to directly speak to them, or report it.

I know stuff like this gets overlooked because I reported a bunch of errors in 2022 that were later corrected (players natural positions, stats etc) so I thought I'd give a warning ahead of time to stop this from happening again.

As far as I know the Burnley researcher is not a Burnley fan and shares the research with another team. There's a lot of changes and research that needs to be changed at the club this year.

On 08/09/2022 at 14:06, Draakon said:

Style of play is in FM connected to the manager - his preferred formation and tactical tendencies. 

So, we can expect to start FM 2023 as Burnley and the board having the constant expectation of defensive football and making the most from set pieces again?

I know style is linked to the manager and I know Dyche signed a very specific type of player, but things have changed a lot and this needs to be reflected in the boards expectations, finances etc.

28 minutes ago, Diegotimmy said:

I posted in the championship thread but my post either wasn't approved or it was deleted.

Your account is not on post moderation so would not need approval.  Posts  can be hidden but cannot be deleted by anyone other than the forum Admin and even then it is very unusual, so I would suggest that you try again.

It's not so much player roles or positions as it is the "Club Vision".

FM22 has the Board wanting direct football and a defensive attitude.  I'm assuming that is going to change in FM23.  Of course, the whole Financial position changes as well following relegation along with the publicized loan having to be partially repaid.

• Administrators

Yeah wouldn't worry about this. Will be updated alongside everything else.

Whilst the changes at Burnley have been fairly dramatic, pretty sure in past versions there have been far more substantial changes we've had to reflect in game from version to version. 

I was at the Burnley match last night and funnily enough thought about the team and tactics on FM23 on the way home.

I'm sure SI will get it sorted, they usually do. I think the hardest part will be trying to match Vincent Kompany's tactics in-game. Maybe put every player on free-roam :D

On 13/09/2022 at 10:23, Neil Brock said:

Whilst the changes at Burnley have been fairly dramatic, pretty sure in past versions there have been far more substantial changes we've had to reflect in game from version to version. 

With respect Neil, I haven't really been too impressed with the research done for Burnley over the past few games and I've reported some of the problems in the past which have later been patched up. Basic things such as players not being natural in positions they start in each game were wrong, stuff you'd expect wouldn't at all be the case if the researcher had actually been watching games.

I'm specifically worried about Charlie Taylor and Connor Roberts not being Natural in a centre back position and Gudmundsson natural as an attacking midfielder. 

On 14/09/2022 at 06:01, RHKC said:

I was at the Burnley match last night and funnily enough thought about the team and tactics on FM23 on the way home.

I'm sure SI will get it sorted, they usually do. I think the hardest part will be trying to match Vincent Kompany's tactics in-game. Maybe put every player on free-roam :D

I've also thought about this. Particularly how the defence would work. On the right hand side Roberts operates as both a centre back and a right back, with Cullen often dropping deep to replace him as the 3rd man in the backline.

I thought about Cullen as a 'half back' and Roberts as a 'Wide Centre Back' but I don't think either role fully represent the style in real life.

The role of Taylor on the left side is more basic, as he doesn't venture as far forward.

Both wing backs push very high up the pitch and hug the touchline. I'm not sure really if even the 'Complete Wing Back' attack covers this. They even get to the byline at times.

Most news sites report the formation as 4-2-3-1 but really, it's a mix between 5-2-2-1, 4-2-2-2 and 3-2-4-1

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure I am ready to class Roberts & Taylor as "Natural" at CB even if that is their role in reality!

Formation is all very fluid - Taylor tends to cover the LB position when Maatsen/Vitinho is on a forward run and as you say Cullen will drop deep to cover.

Not sure how that is all going to be dealt with in FM23 but I will certainly be looking forward to taking on the challenge - sorry Vinny! :)

• 1 month later...
On 13/09/2022 at 10:23, Neil Brock said:

image.png.50a1606f4b02420aef6b99befc730f91.png

• 3 months later...

In the recent v23.3.0 I see a lot of changes to the Burnley squad. It's far more realistic now than it was on release, thank you. The expectations have also been fixed.

It's still a struggle to try and replicate Kompany's tactics in the game, but that's another matter.

Cullen's roll in particular is hard to replicate.

11 hours ago, Diegotimmy said:

In the recent v23.3.0 I see a lot of changes to the Burnley squad. It's far more realistic now than it was on release, thank you. The expectations have also been fixed.

It's still a struggle to try and replicate Kompany's tactics in the game, but that's another matter.

Cullen's roll in particular is hard to replicate.

Re-creating Kompanyball IRL

I’ve been thinking about this too. I started a save when FM23 came out, none of the players were really impressive - that might be because most of the players signed were largely unknown. As a result I sold most of them as they were no good.

I also noticed when starting a save with a new team, Burnley really struggled.

I’m hoping now we’ve seen how Burnley play, the players who have impressed that may have been unknown - Benson, Zaroury, Tella (most tbh) - hopefully have improved stats from this update.