What's with all these clubs wanting to sign younger players?

With the slow, slow advancement of youth, I'm leaning toward just ignoring age on signings. Go get the better player if they're measurably cheaper. Win enough games, then the board shouldn't care.

Drop $7 million on a 22 year old WB or 30% for a similar player at 27. Under a hundred hours in, but for now it looks like paying for potential is a fools errand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/09/2022 at 12:06, crpcarrot said:

agree the game shows they have developed but looking at their stats hardly anything has changed. seems current ability is king potential never arrives or just drops every year.

When people do youth only saves, I wonder if they're somehow developing players rather quickly or they're finding youths under rocks in low rated league and then selling them for a bigger price in short order once reputation catches up.

I'm having some luck signing players in weaker leagues around 24 or 25 who are underpriced for their ability, signing them, and then if they perform having their reputation earn bigger offers. Use windfall to sign a couple quality game changers.  To FM's credit, more realistic approach than a Scottish club suddenly become a football factory.

I know it isn't easy to find right balance. But I hope they push the balance a bit more toward youth developing in FM23.

I think the development is much more random this version. I can have a 5 star potential 'Perfectionist' mentality youngster who goes no where in two years, or one very similar that develops rapidly. Some players always develop every save others never do. You do all the right things upgrading coaches, facilities, mentoring and they can still stagnate.