Advice Request: Board wants "Best Youth System in the World"

Got a new job at Fiorentina. Interesting turn-around challenge: the club is fighting relegation but should be top table. So, this is urgent priority. Yet, the board has set this unusual 5 year plan: "develop the best youth system in the world."  This sounds pretty ambitious, but I have the money.

Any basic tips or advise on how to set up a youth system that can become "the best in the world"? Thank you.

image.png.bd33b08cd125e8a9f79ad63b2daf50ba.png

Edited by phd_angel

- Any time a great youth coach becomes available, sign him and fire your old one (good youth coaches are rare and hard to find).

- Get a great head of youth dev with a good personality (it influences the personalities of players coming through)

- Always ask board to improve your youth rating, junior coaching and youth training facilties

- look at relegated teams for good youth coaches and good youth prospects, the chances of them coming to you are now higher due to relegation

- develop players from your youth team by loaning them out from age 18, then later incorporating them into first team, then later selling them when they are valuable

- With this money you can buy better youth prospects, get the best you can find.

- You need good scouts who can do this and help you find great youth prospects

- Look at the NxGn article that comes out once per year to help find good youth prospects

- Remember you can retrain youth prospects into new positions. Dont reject a youth player because he doesnt fit your system. EG a left footed left Winger can be retrained to play Right wing Inverted Winger to maximum ability, if that is what your system requires. But some changes of position are too extreme/difficult for a player and his ability in the new position will have a lower ceiling of ability, e.g. 90%, than his strongest position (100%).

Edited by 2feet

In my experience, this just means you need to get exceptional JC and YR, with state of the art youth facilities. Playing as Newcastle, I have achieved the best youth system in the world, with zero academy players getting minutes in the past season. 

3 hours ago, Nacaw said:

In my experience, this just means you need to get exceptional JC and YR, with state of the art youth facilities. Playing as Newcastle, I have achieved the best youth system in the world, with zero academy players getting minutes in the past season. 

Sorry, what's JC and YR?

19 hours ago, Nacaw said:

Playing as Newcastle

How many seasons did it take you? I took on Newcastle in a previous save, and after three or four seasons I wasn't feeling any improvement in the quality of players coming in. I mean, final straw was an intake that had something like two or three who were good enough to get youth contracts.

I mentioned this in a thread some while ago, and people pointed out that the IRL Newcastle isn't famed for its youth recruitment, not in the way that you'd associate with Man U or Arsenal, for instance.

Edited by du Garbandier

- Depends on what region of the country your club is in. London region clubs have an advantage because its so populated.

- I would say prioritise junior coaching and youth rating and youth training facilities, plus a great Head of Youth Dev (with great personality).

Once these are good enough it can take a few years for the benefits to really be seen because these improvements have an effect on players when they are 11/12/13 years old, and so they develop better at that age, so by the time they come into the game years later at age 16 they are looking very good.

The improvements will have less effect on players who are already say 14 years old at the time you make the improvements, because they didn't benefit from these improvements when they were much younger.

Plus the adaptability rating of your Head of Youth Dev will affect how long he takes to work at maximum power after arriving, can take a year.

Edited by 2feet

16 hours ago, du Garbandier said:

How many seasons did it take you? I took on Newcastle in a previous save, and after three or four seasons I wasn't feeling any improvement in the quality of players coming in. I mean, final straw was an intake that had something like two or three who were good enough to get youth contracts.

I mentioned this in a thread some while ago, and people pointed out that the IRL Newcastle isn't famed for its youth recruitment, not in the way that you'd associate with Man U or Arsenal, for instance.

I'm in 2028 and I have the "Maintain the best youth system in the world" objective now, But as I said, no academy grads are actually playing in the first team, so the quality of players coming through hasn't been great. For this particular objective, that doesn't seem to matter. 

IMO this module is flawed and illogical.  In my FM 21 save, after many years I had 14 ex-Academy players in my first team squad, populated about 70% of the international under 21 and under 19 squads with my players, won the under 19 Champions League competition regularly and yet my board was still disappointed with my youth system.

For context, this is the same board who, when I had just won my first ever quintuplet of competitions entered, were "disappointed" that I had not spent the transfer budget (!!!) and "devastated" that I had not signed any high reputation players as per the the club vision.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb FrazT:

IMO this module is flawed and illogical.  In my FM 21 save, after many years I had 14 ex-Academy players in my first team squad, populated about 70% of the international under 21 and under 19 squads with my players, won the under 19 Champions League competition regularly and yet my board was still disappointed with my youth system.

For context, this is the same board who, when I had just won my first ever quintuplet of competitions entered, were "disappointed" that I had not spent the transfer budget (!!!) and "devastated" that I had not signed any high reputation players as per the the club vision.

Down to my knowledge it's like @Nacaw wrote. The only measurement that counts are the level of the facilities, JC & YR If everything is maxed out, then you are fine.

I think this goal must be at least re-named because there will always be multiple "best youth systems in the world".  

Maybe something like: "one of the best youth systems in the world". This would make much more sense to me. 

Edited by Daveincid