Promised player playing time in "wrong" position!

In order to sign a player I had to promise him that I would play him in his preferred DL position (was non negotiable) but my tactic uses WB (which he's a natural). Is there a way for me to discuss this with him or do I need to wait until he becomes unhappy?

20 hours ago, talino7 said:

In order to sign a player I had to promise him that I would play him in his preferred DL position (was non negotiable) but my tactic uses WB (which he's a natural). Is there a way for me to discuss this with him or do I need to wait until he becomes unhappy?

He will probably get unhappy, but if he is playing regularly and the team is doing well, you can live with his unhappiness and it will eventually pass.  Again, the story is not to make any promises to a player that you can't or don't intend to keep as it will cause problems at some time.

Ugh, I wish FM had a way to set up contract negotiations so that by default you reject preferred position/role promises. Or alternatively implement a boilerplate response to the agent's boilerplate based around squad status. I keep getting caught by promises that I hadn't realized I'd made. I feel that a player should be able to look at the way a club plays, and be more or less interested in joining based on whether the system(s) suit his attributes. I'd assume that's among the reasons that some players are interested/very interested, and others have no interest whatever in joining. 

I pretty much walk away from locked-down demands any more, been burned by players getting upset for being played as Wing back (support) after agreeing to wing back (defend), even if the player's getting more playing time than originally agreed to and getting POMs for his play. My team, my terms, or there's the door (I really tend to be a much shrewder negotiator in FM than in real life.)

9 hours ago, du Garbandier said:

Ugh, I wish FM had a way to set up contract negotiations so that by default you reject preferred position/role promises. Or alternatively implement a boilerplate response to the agent's boilerplate based around squad status. I keep getting caught by promises that I hadn't realized I'd made. I feel that a player should be able to look at the way a club plays, and be more or less interested in joining based on whether the system(s) suit his attributes. I'd assume that's among the reasons that some players are interested/very interested, and others have no interest whatever in joining. 

I agree I wasn't  able to delete that demand when negotiating.