COUNTDOWN! 0 days to the World Cup

Rob1981

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be stopping the PL a week earlier obviously. Then it would be final squad announcements on Monday, meet-ups next week, build up, Grealish-is-the-new-Maradona talk, friendlies on the 12-13 November. Two weeks to really get balls deep in it before it actually starts.

Must admit I thought I would be more excited by now. Still feels like nobody is  thinking about it much until the club football stops. I haven’t even ordered my flags yet for the lounge.

Edited by Rob1981

• SI Staff
6 hours ago, Tony85 said:

Would it be worth creating a list / thread of players out (major doubts?) of the World Cup? Not volunteering to do it. The injuries are starting to stack up now for teams.

Here's a reasonable start, I'd dare say. Feel free to make amendments (anybody)

The Netherlands
Out
Georginio Wijnaldum
Bruno Martins Indi

Doubtful
Matthijs de Ligt
Marten de Roon

England
Doubtful
Kyle Walker
Reece James
Ben Chilwell
Kalvin Phillips

France
Out:
N'Golo Kanté
Boubacar Kamara

Doubtful
Paul Pogba
Raphaël Varane
Jules Koundé
Aurelien Tchouaméni
Mike Maignan

Portugal
Out:
Pedro Neto
Diogo Jota
Ricardo Pereira

Belgium:
Doubtful:
Romelu Lukaku
Thomas Meunier

Argentina
Out:
Paulo Dybala

Doubtful:
Giovanni Lo Celso

Brazil
Out:
Guilherme Arana

Croatia
Out:
Domagoj Vida

Germany
Out:
Timo Werner

Japan
Out:
Yuta Nakayama

South Korea
Doubtful:
Heung-Min Son

Morocco
Out:
Tarik Tissoudali

Mexico
Out:
Jesús Corona

Senegal
Out:
Bouna Sarr
Keita Baldé

Spain
Doubtful
Eric Garcia

Ecuador
Out:
Joao Rojas

1 hour ago, Jeroen Thijssen said:

Portugal

Out:
Pedro Neto

Doubtful:
Diogo Jota

Looks like Jota is definitely out for Portugal.  If the Wikipedia squad page is correct then he's been left out of their provisional 55 for the visa requirement thing.

Edited by Rob1981

• SI Staff
21 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Looks like Jota is definitely out for Portugal.  If the Wikipedia squad page is correct then he's been left out of their provisional 55 for the visa requirement thing.

And Ricardo Pereira as well.

Final Costa Rica squad. A few people in there now matching Christian Bolanos’s record of three WCs for them.

Celso Borges also keeps up the family tradition, his dad was player in 1990 and coach in 2002 and 2006. Then Borges was a player for them in 2014 and 2018. Costa Rica have never been to a World Cup without one or other of them.

• SI Staff
4 minutes ago, PMLF said:

I would be shocked if Portugal make it that far. Argentina I can understand, but Portugal not really.

I'm guessing it should be South America's turn... so either Argentina or Brasil (in the order of preferences for me).

Also probably no other continent but Europe and South America from the QF on... dont see who could make it from the others. Maybe Japan? Morroco? Mexico? If any can make it out of their group?

Argentina's play has improved drastically over the past few years and they're surely one of the top favorites.

Don't just look at the names in the squad, they're playing as a team. If they get eliminated, it will surely be an all-time classic game, we won't see any more of those mid-tournament implosions.

Brazil are up there with them, it's all about if Neymar can deliver, though. And they don't have as good of a striker as they should, because it's...you know, Brazil.

European's heavyweights are held back by inadequate coaches, no other way around it. For me personally, France, Portugal and England have a ridiculous amount of talent to be playing the way they are. And no doubt turgid gameplan will be the end of all three on this world cup.

Germany is a strange one, because we always expect them to deliver, but their talent in some positions is lacking. Still, Flick is probably the best coach in the tournament alongside Van Gaal and he will surely make them into a top contender. Werner isn't a top class striker, but his injury hurts them a lot, they've got no other options up front.

Then there are Croatia, Belgium, Netherlands and Denmark in second tier. Quality teams, but all of them have their own issues and are missing something compared to top teams.

But they can all get far if some things play out in their favor. That would be my top10.

I honestly have no clue about African teams, hopefully at least one gets out of the group.

Serbia and Switzerland are good, the rest of South Americans are kind of disappointing.

Also, not sure if it's still true, but some days ago I read that Argentina is the only FA that sold out all their group stage tickets already.
Those people deserve it after so many years, noone loves football like Argentinians.

Edited by GunmaN1905

6 minutes ago, Jeroen Thijssen said:

Belgium will be eliminated in the Group Stage. Yes, you heard it first....

Is it that bad?

I'd say that Croatia is definitely better now, we found a pretty much entire new backline and they've been rock solid in Nations League, while Belgium seems to be stuck with the old guard.

As of now, Lukaku is in horrible shape. He physically looks like MUTD Lukaku and even if he's healthy for the World Cup, he won't be anywhere close to his peak level.

KdB will have to carry the entire team.

Morocco is in their usual shambles, fired the coach because he turned them into a team and kicked Ziyech out, who knows how they set up for the groups. They've got some quality, but nowhere close to Belgium or Croatia, so it would take some shambles for Belgium to get eliminated.

Canada...can't see them do anything. Davies and David are quality, but a lot of their players are not up to World Cup standard and Croatian team will be plenty motivated to put as many as they can behind that disgusting scumbag in Canda's goal.

• SI Staff
1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Is it that bad?

I'd say that Croatia is definitely better now, we found a pretty much entire new backline and they've been rock solid in Nations League, while Belgium seems to be stuck with the old guard.

As of now, Lukaku is in horrible shape. He physically looks like MUTD Lukaku and even if he's healthy for the World Cup, he won't be anywhere close to his peak level.

KdB will have to carry the entire team.

Morocco is in their usual shambles, fired the coach because he turned them into a team and kicked Ziyech out, who knows how they set up for the groups. They've got some quality, but nowhere close to Belgium or Croatia, so it would take some shambles for Belgium to get eliminated.

Canada...can't see them do anything. Davies and David are quality, but a lot of their players are not up to World Cup standard and Croatian team will be plenty motivated to put as many as they can behind that disgusting scumbag in Canda's goal.

I can see Croatia and Canada advance. Canada look good to me. Morocco could pose a threat. I just don't expect much from over the hill Belgium. Especially with Lukaku doubtful.

• Rob1981 changed the title to COUNTDOWN! 16 days to the World Cup.

In case access goes down.

A group of 40 England fans are being paid by Qatar to attend the World Cup, with instructions to deliver positive messages about the experience, sing certain songs when requested and report critical social media posts.

Sources have confirmed that the group — which is understood to include four members of the England band, including its leader John Hemmingham — will receive free flights and apartment accommodation, £60 a day in spending money loaded on to a Visa card and complimentary tickets after signing a “code of conduct”. They are all booked on flights that leave for Doha on November 17.

Another 40 supporters from Wales have also signed up to the Fan Leader Programme, along with fans from the 30 other competing countries as part of what supporters’ groups have described as a “sinister, distasteful” marketing exercise.

All those who have signed up for the scheme are guaranteed a ticket to the opening ceremony but they must stay in Qatar for at least two weeks. The idea, The Times has been told, is for them to sit in groups and sing at the appropriate times for the television cameras.

One document sent to fan leaders outlines the role they will be expected to play in the opening ceremony. It reads: “In celebration of the fans around the world, over the period of five minutes, fan chants from each nation will be played and you will be expected to stand up, sing the song/chant, wave your flags and represent your country.

“The camera will focus on each national fan group in turn. We will share with you the chant/song selected from your country to ensure you are familiar with it.” In bold red letters it adds: “Be ready in your shirt, flags and scarves to cheer and shout.”

Another document explains that fan leaders have to accept terms and conditions.

Last month the England Supporters Travel Club hosted a fans’ forum at Wembley Stadium, with Hemmingham, 59, appearing on Qatar’s Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy panel as a “UK fan leader”.

FA staff were present and heard Hemmingham, who is the band’s trumpet player, tell the audience about the positive experience he enjoyed on a recent trip to Doha.

Detailed on the FA website is the fact that Hemmingham “shared his personal experiences from his visit to Qatar for the Lusail Super Cup”. “He was able to visit alongside other fan leaders of different participating nations, sharing their thoughts and giving feedback ahead of the Fifa World Cup,” the release read.

Hemmingham stated that “Qatar is very safe, there are lots of rules and no crime”. The report on the meeting said he “stayed in a great hotel and there was a kind, exciting reception for travelling fans”.

“There was lots of engagement with fans and Qataris were keen to actively make adjustments based on fan recommendations for the Fifa World Cup,” the report added. “JH [Hemmingham] attended a fixture at the World Cup final stadium — the Lusail Iconic Stadium — [where] there are great in-bowl sound systems.”

The Times has approached Hemmingham for comment but one insider sarcastically asked on Thursday night if the England band “might play Qatar’s national anthem during the tournament”.

In March last year the FA received a request from Qatar’s Supreme Committee, which is organising the tournament, for members of the official supporters’ club to join a fan engagement forum. Other sources claim the first contact was made with fan groups two years ago.

But it was only in September that those approached were asked to sign up to a “code of conduct” to guarantee their all-expenses-paid trip to the World Cup. “It all sounds a bit sinister and distasteful,” said one leading member of a fan group, who asked not to be named for fear of possible consequences when he arrives in Qatar.

It is understood that the scheme has not been endorsed by the Football Supporters’ Association or the FA.

Initially it seemed there was a request to simply disseminate information to other fans, with the incentive of a trip to Qatar in advance of the World Cup as well as complimentary flights, tickets and accommodation for the tournament itself.

The FA has said it only found out about the requirements of the scheme from international media reports.

“We were told this was an opportunity to engage with fans from all competing nations to ensure that the voice of supporters was clearly heard in the planning for the World Cup and that many international football associations were being approached,” a statement from the governing body read. “We have had no more involvement with the scheme, and no sight of the ‘code of conduct’ or any of the terms and conditions of involvement.”

A New York Times report said the Dutch broadcaster NOS quoted a Holland fan saying he had agreed to monitor the activity of other supporters from his country.

A board member from the American Outlaws, the biggest United States supporters’ group, agreed to take part, then helped to sign up fellow members and others. However, he told the New York Times that, having already accepted one free trip to Qatar, he was not going to be part of the scheme.

A France fan told the French newspaper Le Parisien he had declined the offer from Qatar. “Despite the appetising side of the dish, I preferred to stay true to my values,” Joseph Delage said.

Ahsan Mansoor, the fan engagement director for the 2022 World Cup who also attended the forum at Wembley last month, has insisted that “there is no obligation to promote or do anything”.

But sources in possession of the relevant documents have confirmed that there is indeed a code of conduct that had to be signed, with a request not to disparage the hosts and to “report any offensive, degrading or abusive comments” from other fans. Ideally they should supply screenshots.

“At best they’re volunteers for the World Cup and at worst they’re a mouthpiece for the Supreme Committee,” Ronan Evain, the executive director of Football Supporters Europe, said.

Some fans flown to Qatar in advance of the tournament were even invited to meet David Beckham, who is being paid millions to act as an ambassador for the hosts despite concerns about the country’s human rights record.

Signing up to be snitches and singing props for the Qatari state. :lol::idiot:

_127491590_worldcup_tvgroup.jpg

World Cup winners Jurgen Klinsmann and Gilberto Silva will bring their international expertise to the BBC's coverage alongside the likes of Vincent Kompany, Didier Drogba, Laura Georges, Pablo Zabaleta and Mark Schwarzer.

Ex-England players include Alan Shearer, Rio Ferdinand, Jermaine Jenas, Micah Richards and Alex Scott, with Danny Gabbidon, Ian Rush and Ashley Williams representing Wales.

-----

Fans can watch the majority of the BBC's games live in Ultra High Definition and High Dynamic Range via BBC iPlayer by using a compatible UHD TV and a high-speed internet connection.

-----

For TV and iPlayer, the BBC will have first pick of the semi-final stage of the tournament, along with three last-16 games, two quarter-final ties and, of course, the World Cup final on 18 December.

-----

Gary Lineker, Gabby Logan, Mark Chapman and Kelly Cates will lead coverage across TV, iPlayer and radio, alongside a host of great former players who will provide analysis.

5 Live's football team includes Karen Bardsley, Izzy Christiansen, James Collins, Dion Dublin, Rob Green, Jayne Ludlow, Pat Nevin, Micah Richards, Alan Shearer, Chris Sutton, Matthew Upson and Stephen Warnock.

Guillem Balague, Julien Laurens and Tim Vickery will provide expert voices on South America, Europe and the rest of the world.

-----

Radio 5 Live's Chris Sutton will predict the outcome of every game in Qatar. You can follow how he gets on for every round of matches. We'll also ask you to try to predict the winner of the Golden Boot.

-----

The BBC will showcase all the must-see moments on social media, including more behind-the-scenes content from your favourite Match of the Day pundits than ever before on Instagram and TikTok.

------

Dropping on BBC iPlayer on Friday, 4 November, How To Win The World Cup will take the viewer deep into the dressing room to hear incredible tales from the past three World Cup-winning teams, France (2018), Germany (2014) and Spain (2010).

This is the inside story of how to lift the most famous trophy in the world, told by tournament winners including Germany's Manuel Neuer, Bastian Schweinsteiger, Per Mertesacker and Jurgen Klinsmann, Spain's Andres Iniesta, Xavi and Cesc Fabregas and France's Olivier Giroud and Marcel Desailly. The programme will air on BBC One at 22:30 GMT on Sunday, 20 November.

Elsewhere, exclusively on BBC Sounds, World Cup Ballers will see some of football's biggest stars go back to back with some of the BBC's biggest DJs in a special music mix. Listeners will hear combinations such as Danny Howard and England goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, Jack Saunders and Wales striker Kieffer Moore, and more.

-------

Also from 14 November, Match of the Day Top 10 returns for a brand new series. Join Gary Lineker, Micah Richards and Alan Shearer as they focus on the biggest tournament of all... the World Cup.

Throughout the series, they will discuss the greatest goals, the most shocking moments and the biggest upsets. Fans can listen on BBC Sounds or watch on BBC iPlayer. Episodes will drop daily between 14-23 November.

-------

606, the UKs favourite football phone-in with Robbie Savage and Chris Sutton, will air throughout the tournament. Listeners can expect irate rants, jubilant boasting and VAR complaints - and that's just from Robbie and Chris!

-------

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Fans can watch the majority of the BBC's games live in Ultra High Definition and High Dynamic Range via BBC iPlayer by using a compatible UHD TV and a high-speed internet connection.

!

1 minute ago, VamPook said:

How much do you all have to pay to watch the WC where you're at?

In the UK, the World Cup is on the protected list of sporting events so must be shown on free to air TV. Coverage is shared between the BBC and ITV (the main independent television channel). The final is shown on both channels  and (famously) is a bit of a bunfight over better coverage and ratings.

13 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

606, the UKs favourite football phone-in with Robbie Savage and Chris Sutton, will air throughout the tournament. Listeners can expect irate rants, jubilant boasting and VAR complaints - and that's just from Robbie and Chris!

The phrase "I'd rather **** in my hands and lap" is overused these days, but I'd rather...

42 minutes ago, VamPook said:

How much do you all have to pay to watch the WC where you're at?

I don't have that channel so will need to pay 12 rupees a month to get that. 1 USD is around 82 INR for context.

Edited by Darius1998

Always makes me laugh when FIFA/UEFA flex their muscles and try and get the tournaments taken off the list of protected events.  Basically having to argue that their own event isn't important enough for everyone to be arsed about watching it... but then at the same time they want to do a massive deal with a pay channel. 

I'd love to be in the OFCOM meeting... "Oh right, so your tournament isn't culturally significant enough for us to have on our list, not enough interest you say?  But you want to raise £1bn+ selling the rights?" :D

It's one of those things that would never be introduced now, but makes the tournament experience so much better as everyone can watch it. The idea of putting something ahead of immediate economic value is almost alien.

However I haven't got World Cup Fever yet.