COUNTDOWN! 0 days to the World Cup

Rob1981

Well actually it's 97 days until the World Cup. 

a) because I forgot to post this on Saturday; and
b) because FIFA have just moved the opening game from a Monday morning and pulled it forward to the Sunday night

But here's somewhere for the big build up and to share some World Cup nostalgia.

And yeah, yeah, it's in Qatar and that sucks.  But comparing World Cups is like comparing your children.  Even the worst one is magical.  And let's be honest, there's never really been a time when the World Cup hasn't been largely mismanaged and mostly corrupt. 

Anyway here's Bergkamp banging that goal in at France 98.

Come on people, post some more WC goals and stuff.

Edited by Rob1981

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Because Covid ****ed everything up, I don't feel like I've missed out on a major men's tournament this summer, and I'm actually quite looking forward to snuggling down to watching all the football in the depths of November.

From a TV viewer standpoint, I like that it's in November.

Whenever there's a big tournament happening in June, I miss an entire month of nice weather because of it.

November with nothing else to do is perfect.

17 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Well actually it's 97 days until the World Cup. 

a) because I forgot to post this on Saturday; and
b) because FIFA have just moved the opening game from a Monday morning and pulled it forward to the Sunday night

But here's somewhere for the big build up and to share some World Cup nostalgia.

And yeah, yeah, it's in Qatar and that sucks.  But comparing World Cups is like comparing your children.  Even the worst one is magical.  And let's be honest, there's never really been a time when the World Cup hasn't been largely mismanaged and mostly corrupt. 

Anyway here's Bergkamp banging that goal in at France 98.

Come on people, post some more WC goals and stuff.

If you'd posted it Saturday, wouldn't that have been 99 days then? :D

26 minutes ago, sebsy said:

If you'd posted it Saturday, wouldn't that have been 99 days then? :D

If I'd posted it Saturday and if FIFA hadn't moved the first game it would have been 100 days :D

First game was supposed to be 10am on morning of Monday 21st, then the Qatar v Ecuador was going to be the third game on.

But this would have meant the opening ceremony only being in the afternoon that day and only after two matches had already finished.

So the other day they moved the Qatar game to 4pm on Sunday 20th.

8 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Can't bloody wait, hot drink, xmas chocolate and world cup football. And wearing all of my clothes because no way is the heating going on at £1000 a day.

Showing off you'll be able to have your TV turned on.

I'm more looking forward to this because it's a total unknown.

Literally going from a weekend of Premier League intense action to World Cup. Going to be a complete ****show with squads disrupted, players injured/out on their feet, and all sorts of shocks.

9 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

Literally going from a weekend of Premier League intense action to World Cup. Going to be a complete ****show with squads disrupted, players injured/out on their feet, and all sorts of shocks.

It will be like mid season internationals which tend to be of a faster pace than end of season tournaments when all the players are knackered.

UCL/Europa group stage 6 midweek games (hopefully some tasty games on the line)

Weekend - Chelsea v Arsenal & Spurs v Liverpool

League Cup 3rd Round midweek games (hopefully a tasty draw or two)

Weekend - Mixture of games, who knows what context they will involve

7 days later start of World Cup :D 

Depends on the league I think.  Premier League is running right up until Sunday 13 November and then the WC starts on Sunday 20 November.

No time for any friendlies pre-tournament.

Those leagues with 18 teams instead of 20 teams might be breaking a week earlier but I wouldn't bet on it.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Wait, don't the leagues stop two weeks before WC?

Shambles if it's only one.

Prem/Seria A/Bundesliga is week before first World Cup game. La Liga is the midweek when the big three end, so they have a few more extra days.

Not sure about wider leagues in Europe.

22 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

It will be like mid season internationals which tend to be of a faster pace than end of season tournaments when all the players are knackered.

In theory the players from European leagues should be at almost peak fitness.

I still think it sucks that it went to Qatar but just for the novelty factor I’m looking forward to it. Plus at the end of the day…World Cup!!!

That and the fact I’ll be there for most of it…. :D 

Edited by Weezer

3 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I don't mind a winter world cup, why should the world cup only be played at a time that is good for western Europe? But then way they got it and the ethics of how it's being put together suck big time.

I agree, But then don't bid for the WC under the silly pretence that you will do it in the summer. Plenty of other countries might have fancied bidding if they'd known Winter was possible

2 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

don't bid for the WC under the silly pretence that you will do it in the summer. Plenty of other countries might have fancied bidding if they'd known Winter was possible

This is where am I with it tbh

Don't mind the winter WC in principle... can't keep expecting everything to be done for the convenience of the big European leagues

But pretending they could host it in summer, bidding on this basis... then changing their minds only once they'd paid everyone off.  Still absolutely crackers that they got away with it.

Probably a fair logic that a Winter World Cup, or a World Cup at least held in the cooler months of hosting country(s) would bring much more entertainment on the pitch then summer. Just for viewing purposes in Europe, it's better when held in summer because of outside fan parks/beer gardens etc.

Just when you think you already know all the obscure WC trivia going...

Never knew that originally the 1950 WC was supposed to be in 1949 and then the 1954 WC was supposed to be in 1951.

So straight after WW2 they were going down the route of doing it every two years until somebody at FIFA changed their minds.

• Administrators

Maybe Morocco will finally get one after 30+ years of asking. They've been bidding for about as long as we have and failing to win the host bid.

I didn't realise we bid for the 98 World Cup.

3 minutes ago, Weezer said:

It’s probably time Africa had another one. Though it’s weird Australia haven’t had one yet.

Would need to be 3 African Countries to hold the future world cup size you'd think. The pool of possible host countries is getting smaller IMO.

Likes of Japan should be scared off after the Olympics. 

14 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Maybe Morocco will finally get one after 30+ years of asking. They've been bidding for about as long as we have and failing to win the host bid.

Morocco bidding again for 2030 apparently.  At one point there was talk of a Spain-Portugal-Morocco joint bid given that Morocco and Spain are virtually next to each other across the sea.  But now there is a Spain-Portugal bid going in and Morocco are going it alone.

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

Have the Scandinavian/Nordic countries ever put in a bid?

I don't think so, there were talks about bidding to host the Euros a few years back but the big issue is stadium capacity. We don't have many 30k +.

• Rob1981 changed the title to COUNTDOWN! 94 days to the World Cup.
  • Rob1981 changed the title to COUNTDOWN! 88 days to the World Cup.
11 minutes ago, Rafalution said:

Still not decided if I'm watching any or not. Wish it had stayed summer one as would have been easier to skip. Not having football in nov/dec sucks. 

I’m the same. Really enjoyed the Women’s Euros over the summer and that would’ve been fine for my summer football fix if it was on at the same time, but having no football in Nov/Dec will suck, but I’ve still not convinced myself I can actually bring myself to watch this yet.

Edited by MIR17