Any tips on getting rid of higher earners?

At the start of my save I have a player who is a new signing and is earning more than x10 the average wage of the rest of the squad and similar for appearance fees. Having played with this team before I know they hemorrhage money through the wage bill and bonus' but i just can't get rid of him!  Most players are on £1k - £1.5k per week while he's taking £17k plus £3.2k per appearance (which he is not going to get, obviously)

I can even make him at peace with leaving but no one will is even interested let alone bidding either on loan or permanently. 

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance. 

Subsidising wages is often the only way if you're not getting any immediate interest. Otherwise you need to play them and get them in the shop window and hope someone else will become interested. 

It's incredibly likely that for the exact same reasons he's not worth that 20k a week package to you, he wouldn't be worth it to anyone else. 

1 hour ago, santy001 said:

Subsidising wages is often the only way if you're not getting any immediate interest. Otherwise you need to play them and get them in the shop window and hope someone else will become interested. 

It's incredibly likely that for the exact same reasons he's not worth that 20k a week package to you, he wouldn't be worth it to anyone else. 

Yeah I think I might be stuck with him for now.  He is not even that good so I think I am going just put him in the reserves to save the appearance fees but take the hit on the wages. 

He has almost single handedly wiped the club's bank balance in two months so I am not sure what they/the manager were thinking when they signed him!

56 minutes ago, Sith Lord said:

... so I am not sure what they/the manager were thinking when they signed him!

:D what all AI managers/DoFs think: how can I screw up things for the next manager? Currently I've got two world-class WBLs (both unhappy, of course) and one mediocre-at-best WBR... don't get me started

13 hours ago, Sith Lord said:

Yeah I think I might be stuck with him for now.  He is not even that good so I think I am going just put him in the reserves to save the appearance fees but take the hit on the wages. 

He has almost single handedly wiped the club's bank balance in two months so I am not sure what they/the manager were thinking when they signed him!

If that's the case then get on his nerves as much as possible so that he actually agrees to a mutual termination. Criticise conduct and training every week (pick alll the worst options) and ask him to play out of position and fine him 2 weeks worth of wages ih he underperforms. He'll be likely to agree to a mutual termination in a couple of months.

16 minutes ago, sdx15 said:

If that's the case then get on his nerves as much as possible so that he actually agrees to a mutual termination. Criticise conduct and training every week (pick alll the worst options) and ask him to play out of position and fine him 2 weeks worth of wages ih he underperforms. He'll be likely to agree to a mutual termination in a couple of months.

Ha ha ha. Its brutal but I like it so will give it a try.  Just seen he also has a 25% increase for winning promotion so I want him out before then!

20 hours ago, du Garbandier said:

:D what all AI managers/DoFs think: how can I screw up things for the next manager? Currently I've got two world-class WBLs (both unhappy, of course) and one mediocre-at-best WBR... don't get me started

You have 2 world class WBLs on £1-£1.5k p/w!?