Who do you think is the best roaming playmaker in 22?

As a Spurs fan I have worshipped Modric for ever! I think he is the best RPM in real life. Arguably  of all time. 

im not sure if FM has ever ready created a world class RPM but, as it’s my favourite type of player, I’m desperately seeking one. Also what formation do you see them best in? 

all advice gratefully received 

13 hours ago, Pulsoy said:

James Coppinger in Doncaster. FM19

Tonali in  Göztepe (FM20)

in 22 really im not sure. Maybe Ruben Neves..

Cheers. I had Neves in my team. Quality player but not fast enough for RPM IMO. I think they need to be able to cover ground.quite quickly. Are the other 2 gone from 22?

Not a big fan of City. But I've always had a soft sport for KDB. I feel like he is a roaming playmaker, but in real life it feels like he stays more wide and you cant give them that option on fm. But that guy is almost everywhere on the pitch and scores quite a few goals from is position.

On 05/08/2022 at 09:55, MrGlenn1337 said:

Not a big fan of City. But I've always had a soft sport for KDB. I feel like he is a roaming playmaker, but in real life it feels like he stays more wide and you cant give them that option on fm. But that guy is almost everywhere on the pitch and scores quite a few goals from is position.

Yh. He’s just a great player. I do see him more as an APM. but he can do everything.

according to FM description a RPM should be defensively adept too. Hence why I think Modric is the GOAT. I see a RPM doing those small short passes which start off a winning move. They’re always in a key area to overload and be the apex of any triangle. I think they start things, I feel KDB ends things.

IRL I can’t think of anyone like modric. KDB, Silva, Thiago too advanced, Pogba to unreliable, Jorginhio not mobile enough. In FM I think @kentonizkingcalled it right with Moriba

Edited by SimonHoddle

On 30/07/2022 at 17:50, kentonizking said:

Iliax Moriba is pretty good 

On 01/08/2022 at 07:28, SimonHoddle said:

Yh great choice. He plays for Chelsea in my save and I’m spurs so never ever gonna happen :-(

I've yet to discover for myself. Signed him for Borussia Dortmund in January 2027. He went off to African Nations Cup. Came back. Played 1 game. 2nd game he comes off bench for last 15 minutes and breaks his leg! :(

Was a wonderful player for me in FM21 though. :thup:

4 hours ago, Lord Rowell said:

I've yet to discover for myself. Signed him for Borussia Dortmund in January 2027. He went off to African Nations Cup. Came back. Played 1 game. 2nd game he comes off bench for last 15 minutes and breaks his leg! :(

Was a wonderful player for me in FM21 though. :thup:

😞

I feel like if the rest of your team shields the role effectively and always has a safety outball the likes of Kroos are unrivalled. It's a role I'll often move ageing players into, in the past a post-35 Neymar and Messi have filled that role for me. 

1 hour ago, santy001 said:

I feel like if the rest of your team shields the role effectively and always has a safety outball the likes of Kroos are unrivalled. It's a role I'll often move ageing players into, in the past a post-35 Neymar and Messi have filled that role for me. 

Isn’t the RPM meant to be highly mobile?

13 minutes ago, SimonHoddle said:

Isn’t the RPM meant to be highly mobile?

5-10 in pace/acceleration attributes are hardly immobile combined with superior mental attributes, the few players scoring really high compounding the strengths further its surprising how much mobility can be achieved by being ahead of or anticipating what is happening. My RPM tends to be shielded by (at least) 1 incredibly physical midfielder and the 2 full backs/wing backs pushing in close to support. 

I don't think I've managed to pick up Kroos before 36 or so in FM for a number of years now but he's always been amazing in that role for me. Were I to start a save with Real Madrid and have him right from the off I think he'd be all the better. 

Not even sure what a ‘roaming playmaker’ is in the real world. It’s way too fm related. 

Generally you get a playmaker from deep or one higher up the pitch. You can change their instructions to make them a bit more fluid but it’s odd their actual position/role is a ‘roaming playmaker’ when that’s just something set by the manager and his formation. Modric would probably not describe himself as a ‘roaming playmaker’. Overcomplication as ever, imo. 

2 hours ago, santy001 said:

5-10 in pace/acceleration attributes are hardly immobile combined with superior mental attributes, the few players scoring really high compounding the strengths further its surprising how much mobility can be achieved by being ahead of or anticipating what is happening. My RPM tends to be shielded by (at least) 1 incredibly physical midfielder and the 2 full backs/wing backs pushing in close to support. 

I don't think I've managed to pick up Kroos before 36 or so in FM for a number of years now but he's always been amazing in that role for me. Were I to start a save with Real Madrid and have him right from the off I think he'd be all the better. 

I’ll have a look. That opens up a few other possibilities 

2 hours ago, DP said:

Not even sure what a ‘roaming playmaker’ is in the real world. It’s way too fm related. 

Generally you get a playmaker from deep or one higher up the pitch. You can change their instructions to make them a bit more fluid but it’s odd their actual position/role is a ‘roaming playmaker’ when that’s just something set by the manager and his formation. Modric would probably not describe himself as a ‘roaming playmaker’. Overcomplication as ever, imo. 

I get what you’re saying but kind of disagree. A RPM makes things happen anywhere. He can be very deep, receiving the ball as an out ball and then playing a short but highly intelligent pass to a player in space, controls the middle and links up front…without ever being a goal scorer. I think Modric is prime RPM. 
you’re right - if you watch the Amazon series All or Nothing the managers never say I want you to be an RPM or DLF or terraquistra etc. but I think that’s a work around for FM. IRL they’ll coach the players tactical position on the training ground but that’s impossible to replicate so we need ultra defined roles.

40 minutes ago, SimonHoddle said:

I get what you’re saying but kind of disagree. A RPM makes things happen anywhere. He can be very deep, receiving the ball as an out ball and then playing a short but highly intelligent pass to a player in space, controls the middle and links up front…without ever being a goal scorer. I think Modric is prime RPM. 
you’re right - if you watch the Amazon series All or Nothing the managers never say I want you to be an RPM or DLF or terraquistra etc. but I think that’s a work around for FM. IRL they’ll coach the players tactical position on the training ground but that’s impossible to replicate so we need ultra defined roles.

Spot on. I think this is key to understanding the more 'gamey' aspects of FM.

We don't have access to hours on a training pitch and, more significantly, we don't have the massive resource of human communication and language to interact with our players and discuss ideas.

Just compare the player interaction system with actual human communication and the issue is obvious.

SI has to compensate for that somehow.