Sell or keep my talent

I'm a bit stuck when it comes to selling one of my talented players.

I just got promoted to the Championship and want to bring one of my talents to the first squad. He is a 2,5 star player with a 5 star potential.
Looking at his ratings, he isn't really a big shot. Looking at what they say about him (talented youngster) isn't telling the story either.
The club does rate him as our biggest talent, eventhough i think i have better players in my youth with better ratings.

He has one year on his contract and is valued on € 53K.
Clubs from the PL are coming in to buy him for € 14,25M. This is € 3M upfront and several clauses, of which up to € 10M is achievable.

My question is, sell him or keep him.
Selling him is obviously lucrative. With a € 3M transferbudget, it's big money.
He is though interested in staying if i make him a star player. He will get his matches during the season, so problably will be a 3/3,5 star based on my team.
The thing will be, is he becoming even bigger money if i let him stay.

Let me know what you would do.

What's his current attributes look like? How much has he already improved? I personally look to hold on to home grown talents as buying home grown players tends to be very expensive, especially if you get promoted again!

Sell him, then upgrade your training facilities so you can attract better players and improve them.

How accurate (JPA) is the staff member doing your player potential assessments?

Or keep him and get him to sign a new contract, make a high release clause if he asks for it. Then if he turns out ot be amazing then you can demand any club meet the clause.

In the end the decision was made for me.
I offered him an improved contract, because as Jtomsett11 mentioned, homegrown players who are affordable, especially for a small club, are hard to find.
2 days later Southampton made a bid of € 15,75M for him. The chairmann accepted this offer. The player made his decision a couple of days later to go to Southampton.
Upgrading my facilities is now indeed the best option.

Jasper Guiney Reports.jpg

Jasper Guiney Attributes.jpg

Jasper Guiney Transfer.jpg

Unfortunately he's probably not going to make 20 league appearances for Southampton, I don't think he's good enough, unless he really rockets up his attributes.

Plus I doubt he will make the England team.

So that's £6M down the drain. You might have been better getting money in the bank immediately.

Sell on clauses are always a gamble because if the player doesn't develop very well then they either run down their contracts and move for zero money, or they get sold off on the cheap to a lower league club.

On 28/07/2022 at 21:09, TylerD84 said:

I'm a bit stuck when it comes to selling one of my talented players.

I just got promoted to the Championship and want to bring one of my talents to the first squad. He is a 2,5 star player with a 5 star potential.
Looking at his ratings, he isn't really a big shot. Looking at what they say about him (talented youngster) isn't telling the story either.
The club does rate him as our biggest talent, eventhough i think i have better players in my youth with better ratings.

He has one year on his contract and is valued on € 53K.
Clubs from the PL are coming in to buy him for € 14,25M. This is € 3M upfront and several clauses, of which up to € 10M is achievable.

My question is, sell him or keep him.
Selling him is obviously lucrative. With a € 3M transferbudget, it's big money.
He is though interested in staying if i make him a star player. He will get his matches during the season, so problably will be a 3/3,5 star based on my team.
The thing will be, is he becoming even bigger money if i let him stay.

Let me know what you would do.

In the long run, you need funds to make a proper assault in the premiership. I would sell him

10 hours ago, 2feet said:

Sell on clauses are always a gamble because if the player doesn't develop very well then they either run down their contracts and move for zero money, or they get sold off on the cheap to a lower league club.

The value of a sell-on clause isn't in how much he is sold for, it's in how much he's worth after a year at his new club.

If he makes a jump from a 'who are they?' club to a Premier League club, it's almost always worth cashing in after a year. Unless he was already at his PA, he'll have made some progress after a year at a better club, and his new employers will think he's got good value. Yeah, you could hold out for him to make a big money move, but unless he's good enough to get first-team football at his new club, it seems like you're almost always better off selling that clause at the first possible opportunity.

Clauses don't always become available though, that's the problem with your idea.

If a clause does become available, I agree its best to take it.

But it depends on whether the DoF can negotiate one.

If he's at a low level club, its unlikely the DoF could negotiate one I think.

7 hours ago, 2feet said:

Clauses don't always become available though, that's the problem with your idea.

If a clause does become available, I agree its best to take it.

But it depends on whether the DoF can negotiate one.

If he's at a low level club, its unlikely the DoF could negotiate one I think.

The Chairman accepted this offer. There was nothing i could change about it. I agree that probably some of the clauses will not be achieved.
He is Irish btw, so maybe one cap for Ireland is a possibility, but the matches he needs to play..... I doubt it.
Hopefully they will sell him later one, that's another 40%.

2 hours ago, TylerD84 said:

Hopefully they will sell him later one, that's another 40%.

Only if they sell him for more than they bought him for though.

It's possible that they'll make him available for loan in the future too if you want to bring him back short-term.