Cant Trigger Contract Extension Clause

They want to steal my wonderkind because his annoying agent cried for release cause. So, to dodge that I put a contract extension to the contract. But the game said: ha, F-U! and doesnt allow me to active it, and let OM to steal my kid... 

trig.png

There are some max length contracts in some countries, so you should be able to extend it closer to the expiration date.

• Administrators

You can't trigger an extension clause if an offer has been accepted for a player. This would only work if a player was leaving at the end of their contract on a free/Bosman. 

12 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

You can't trigger an extension clause if an offer has been accepted for a player. This would only work if a player was leaving at the end of their contract on a free/Bosman. 

Oh, thx! So, this function basically useless... 

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, dave88 said:

Not at all. Allows you to extend a player with the same terms they've already agreed rather than renegotiate a more expensive contract when you need to renew. And likewise especially useful when their contract is winding down. If they didn't have a release clause, also allows you to extend their existing contract which means generally their value is higher (values of players are higher when they have lots of time left on their contract). 

Just isn't an 'anti-transfer' device and can't be used like that either in game or in real life. 

23 minutes ago, dave88 said:

It works well as a deterrant if you use it BEFORE they offer, since the value will increase due to contract length.

Correct me if I am wrong but the release clause and the extension are mutually exclusive, no? Unless the release clause has an expiration date.

So for example: if a player signs a three-year deal with a one-year optional extension that the club can activate at anytime, there is nothing stopping you from activating the clause to deter bids.

But the release clause is a separate clause in the contract, no? A buying club can trigger it at any time and offer him a contract. And if the player agrees a contract and arranges a move, you then cannot force a player to stay for an extra year when he has already been sold.

36 minutes ago, Bojanbbz94 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but the release clause and the extension are mutually exclusive, no? Unless the release clause has an expiration date.

So for example: if a player signs a three-year deal with a one-year optional extension that the club can activate at anytime, there is nothing stopping you from activating the clause to deter bids.

But the release clause is a separate clause in the contract, no? A buying club can trigger it at any time and offer him a contract. And if the player agrees a contract and arranges a move, you then cannot force a player to stay for an extra year when he has already been sold.

Yes. The extension would just increase the contract by 3 years, on exactly the same terms, so the minimum fee release clause would remain exactly the same. I'm honestly not sure why OP thought this would somehow circumvent the release clause.

1 hour ago, Freakiie said:

Yes. The extension would just increase the contract by 3 years, on exactly the same terms, so the minimum fee release clause would remain exactly the same. I'm honestly not sure why OP thought this would somehow circumvent the release clause.

I think his thought process was a kin to offering a new contract, if the player accepts yours, it ends the bid. But as discussed above, triggering the extension is not the same as the player re-signing.

You waited too long. If you want to keep a player, you need to trigger the extension at least 6 months before its due day. Otherwise he's free to accept a contract.

Edited by phd_angel

11 hours ago, phd_angel said:

You waited too long. If you want to keep a player, you need to trigger the extension at least 6 months before its due day. Otherwise he's free to accept a contract.

While this is true, it’s not relevant in the OP’s case