Convenient losing streaks.

Any clues on what to do when the mid season rot sets in? Like consistently averaging more than 1 XG then going to less than 1 as soon as January hits?

We only lost once before the end of December and the it became immediately impossible to win at the start of January on both saves...

BWM FM tactic.png

Based on your instructions it seems you are playing a direct and fast tempo style. Maybe because you only lost 1 game before the turn of the year teams started to play against you with more caution.

Direct and fast tempo style is great if you have space but if teams are being cautious against you they are leaving less space behind. My advice is to slow a bit the build up and add a bit more movement between the lines. I would start only with giving your striker a DLF role and your AP an attack duty.

You could ask your team to play on a normal tempo and maybe normal passing. I would still use pass into space because your DLF will try to create that space for you IF(a) to run into.

Edited by bosque

16 hours ago, bosque said:

Based on your instructions it seems you are playing a direct and fast tempo style. Maybe because you only lost 1 game before the turn of the year teams started to play against you with more caution.

Direct and fast tempo style is great if you have space but if teams are being cautious against you they are leaving less space behind. My advice is to slow a bit the build up and add a bit more movement between the lines. I would start only with giving your striker a DLF role and your AP an attack duty.

You could ask your team to play on a normal tempo and maybe normal passing. I would still use pass into space because your DLF will try to create that space for you IF(a) to run into.

What do you think about something like this?

same old.png

• 2 weeks later...

Mid season rot has nothing to do with tactics. Maybe you can tweak a little based on teams but it's more due to fatigue setting in and players finding it hard to finish their chances! This seems more like a morale issues. You can ceiticise them for not finishing their chances. Also maybe buy someone with lots of consistency to mitigate this issue. I purchased 2 strikers from Argentina both newgens. Very similar to each other with both having elite finishing ability. But pastoriza had much better mentals and inconsistency whereas Gonzalez had worse mentals and consistency.

Pastoriza does spectacular stuff in a couple of matches buy scoring 2-3 goals and assisting a couple. Gonzalez is a much consistent player with getting at least 1-2 goals every other match, Even against top tier clubs.

The key differences is their consistency, the mid season rot doesn't seem to affect Gonzalez to some extent as he would definitely score in at least every 3-4th game. But pastoriza would go 6-7 or sometimes even 10 games without scoring.

Another key thing i noticed is their mentality both of them are professional and fairly professional. But that doesn't seem to affect their scoring. And both behave differently on the pitch. To some extent only based on their consistency. 

I love a good 4-3-3, and they work great in the FM22 match engine most of the time, but you are still occasionally victim to bad stretches of form. If your one striker stops scoring for a few games then you're in a lot of trouble, and the AML/AMR pair will struggle to produce if you're getting nothing from your lone striker. I have found so much more consistency using two-striker formations. If one striker has a bad game, the other picks him up much better than the AML/AMR ever could. It's even better with a SS(a) behind the pair, storming in like an even better version of the glorious CM(a) role. I find I can rotate squads more easily with two strikers and an AMC, keeping one in-form player in the lineup at all times. In a lone striker formation, you can't afford to play an out of form player at ST.

The game is more complicated than all of that, but for me, I was just fed up with the form stuff that I chose to insulate myself a bit with two-striker formations.

On 23/06/2022 at 03:20, trueblue9877 said:

Any clues on what to do when the mid season rot sets in? Like consistently averaging more than 1 XG then going to less than 1 as soon as January hits?

We only lost once before the end of December and the it became immediately impossible to win at the start of January on both saves...

BWM FM tactic.png

Ok, when you created this tactic how do you see the goals coming? What kind of movement patterns do you want to see? If you can identify how your tactic is meant to create goals then you should be able to address the smaller bits along the way. 

How do you see transitions happening from defence to attack involving your players? Who is carrying the ball and drawing players to them? 
How do you expect to see that run into defence work with pass into space. While I use it a heckuva lot in my tactics I expect to see transitions where specific roles work together with others drawing players away so that space opens up for that team instruction to be effective. Where do you see that happening in your tactic.

If you cant tell me what kind of  movements you expect to see in the tactic during build up play how will you know what your tactic can and cannot do? 

So begin first by asking yourself, what do you expect to see in terms of how this tactic is going to create chances. Start from there.