Does my tactic make sense? (Southampton)

So i've just taken over southampton with IRL transfer update, and i looked at the squad, analysed it and came up with a tactic that in my mind makes sense (but your expertise can say otherwise thats what i wanna find out)

Im going to go trough the ideia and explain it so you can see my thought process and if something is wrong you know how u can correct it.

So this is the tactic:

image.png.e50e45735f461e4b5ef140df123a4ec5.png

What i want from this is to try and break frequently, we have a lot of pace upfront and really good passers in midfield so i think we can take advantage of not only being weaker in most matches (not all of them, southampton is still decent) but having that pacy front 3 with 3 guys who can put them trough i think we can reak a lot of havoc going foward.

For the roles : i picked AF for A.Armstrong because honestly he is a bit bad but he has a lot lot of pace and the traint tries to beat offside trap and an AF would make sense on what im trying to build so altough he is not very good he is ideal for what i want to achive.

IF attack and Winger support - i try always to balanced the roles in the best way i can, and with che adams ,he can be the secondary or even primary goalscorer, pacy good finishing and positive traits again likes to beat offside trap excellent IF for me makes sense, Nathan Redmond i want simply to streach the play, cross, run with the ball and allow CM(A) to make his move.

Midfield: Ward Prowse is soo good i gave him mezzala, he has good crossing passing and work rate so that made sense to me mezzala's instruction are perfect for him, S.Armstrong good passer with good finishing and long shots , i want him to be a midfield goalscorer with the winger allowing him the space needed.

Defence : my doubts on my fullbacks, they are decent going foward but nothing special all around so i dont know how to better balanced them so i settled for wb on support.

TI's - Simple really make the overall core style - some notes high line, and standard engagement, my strikers cant press even though irl southampton is very good at pressing but on fm they cant press and a midblock makes sense on what im trying to achieve with a high line for compactness and because my defenders are fast i think we can get away with it.

i elected to leave counter press off because i cant see those strikers pressing and apart from ward prowse i cant see my midfielders either specially with a slow DM. 

so that is all if you have some tips i know i havent played a game yet but i want your opinion is my thought process correct are roles ideal ?

The tactic looks balanced on paper and well thought. A few things to look during matches:

Maybe the right flank is a bit one-dimensional but it can work. If you see them doing the same job you can invert one of the roles. Maybe the WB to IWB to fill the space the CM(a) leaves.

Try to see if your AF ends up being isolated. If he receives the ball against 2 or 3 players with no close support, then he is isolated. If this happen you can try reducing a bit the passing so your team have time to move up and support your striker.

Look how the MEZ ans IF work. They may end up using the same half space, but it can work too creating overloads.

I’m no expert, but Ward Prowse is right footed if I remember correctly. If you want to take advantage of his crossing, does it not make sense to put him on the right side of the pitch?

I would change the IFat into a IWat, because AF and IFat might end up in the same space. 

I would also change the right back into a FBsu. 

Also, you have a half back + 2 CM who get further forward so your HB won’t have any safe pass option in the middle. 

Finally, both your CM roam from position and I doubt it will be solid enough with a team like Southampton. A possible solution would be to change your MEZsu into a simple CMsu. 

About your TIs, I would be careful with « run at defence » and « Get stuck in ».

« Play out of defence » is a bit weird to me considering you ask your keeper to throw it long and to the flanks. 

Hey guys thanks for the input, it really helped with some doubts i had with this idea, i havent made a match yet but ive made some tweaks i think its what makes the most sense for me i left some things alone as i will be obsearving matches to decide upon.

image.png.8da6362f969d0619f6c21a2eb1f3e9ad.png

4 horas atrás, bosque disse:

Maybe the right flank is a bit one-dimensional but it can work. If you see them doing the same job you can invert one of the roles. Maybe the WB to IWB to fill the space the CM(a) leaves.

Try to see if your AF ends up being isolated. If he receives the ball against 2 or 3 players with no close support, then he is isolated. If this happen you can try reducing a bit the passing so your team have time to move up and support your striker.

Look how the MEZ ans IF work. They may end up using the same half space, but it can work too creating overloads.

yes i've decided to invert the fullback it makes sense as my biggest worry was the W and WB combo, both my right sided fullbacks have a good left foot and they are not the greatest crossers , i also notice that when you pair a W with an IWB the winger tends to stay much wider and thats good for me,

i will look in game if the AF looks too isolated but i have an IF and CM(A) who i expect to be close to him.

2 horas atrás, danielsko disse:

I’m no expert, but Ward Prowse is right footed if I remember correctly. If you want to take advantage of his crossing, does it not make sense to put him on the right side of the pitch?

you are totally right i didn't notice that i looked at his crossing and tought mezzala instantly but neglect on how he is going to do the crossing.

46 minutos atrás, sonnevillejr disse:

I would change the IFat into a IWat, because AF and IFat might end up in the same space. 

I would also change the right back into a FBsu. 

Also, you have a half back + 2 CM who get further forward so your HB won’t have any safe pass option in the middle. 

Finally, both your CM roam from position and I doubt it will be solid enough with a team like Southampton. A possible solution would be to change your MEZsu into a simple CMsu. 

About your TIs, I would be careful with « run at defence » and « Get stuck in ».

« Play out of defence » is a bit weird to me considering you ask your keeper to throw it long and to the flanks. 

For now i will leave the IF but your suggestion is on my notes.

I've decided to turn him to iwb but if my fullbacks don't perform well i will change them to fullback on support.

Yes you are right i had the half back as i wanted him to get between my defense allowing for my wb going up the pich but thats not need anymore, also i changed ward prowse from mezalla to a cm support with move into channels so he still has some presence out wide, and roam from position to help with build up so DM has a solid safe passing option.

Play out the defense and the long trows had variation because i find with play out defence enabled the goalkeeper will pass it short , but i wanted to reassure him he can start counter attacks as he has the trait , trows to start CA.

Run at defense i may look to take off if it makes my players get isolated from each other but i have good dribblers so kept it on.

Get stuck in , i will be carefull with this .

• I'd be on alert whether your left side is solid enough defensively.  CM(s) with roam will get lost, WB will get forwards (and he has so-so ant/pos/dec/acc and IF(a) is an attacker;
  • I think Ward-Prowse is a born BBM because it makes use of his incredible WR/Stam, maybe BWM(s). 
  • With Ward-Prowse, I'd tick 'play for set pieces'. 
  • I'd keep an eye on POOD because other than Walker-Peters, your defenders are not great on the ball and if I were playing you, I'd consider marking W-P and pressing the others when they get the ball.

Yes, it makes sense, but keep in mind of how your league position and reputation changes. If you start as Southampton and are expected to finish in the second half of the table (or mid-table at best) then (at least against a lot of clubs) your players will find enough space for counter-attacks, dribbling might work and you can exploit your speed.

If you encounter a team who are playing with more caution, sit deeper with their defensive line and regroup quickly you find that your attack is stuck, because players have less space to run into, quick counter-attacks are not as effective and while you can have a couple of good dribblers they're less successful, because defence always has another player to offer security.

So, in time you probably need to create another tactics against smaller teams for the games where you dominate possession.

I like your second setup more :thup:

I never understand the IF(A) / AF(A) combination in an 4-3-3 though. IF(A) is an aggressive role, think Mo Salah, the AF(A) is an aggressive goal scoring role too. To me, it's one or the other. I'd want one of those to be more creative ie a number 10 type role either from the wing or up front   

Its like the old P&Cs, creator, runner, scorer. You've got your runner in the Winger, then scorer in an AF and IF (who will create but it's not his primary job)

38 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I like your second setup more :thup:

I never understand the IF(A) / AF(A) combination in an 4-3-3 though. IF(A) is an aggressive role, think Mo Salah, the AF(A) is an aggressive goal scoring role too. To me, it's one or the other. I'd want one of those to be more creative ie a number 10 type role either from the wing or up front   

Its like the old P&Cs, creator, runner, scorer. You've got your runner in the Winger, then scorer in an AF and IF (who will create but it's not his primary job)

I had a lot of success with combining those roles in a 2 striker system. I played an IF(a)-DLF(s)-AF(a) (and a winger on support on the other flank) and it worked great. But of course, the DLF did a lot of the hard work there, creating and assisting. For a 433 I'd think the striker is isolated - and in my experience having an IF to support him wasn't enough.

Yeah, it may well work well, AF's run the channels and strikers are more fluid in FM22 so there's movement from them at least, I'm talking 4-3-3's here though. Think of the real World 4-3-3 setups, Salah and Firminho, Kane and Son, one is always looking to play in the other 

29 minutes ago, jens_dewit said:

For a 433 I'd think the striker is isolated - and in my experience having an IF to support him wasn't enough.

IF on Support will get further forward the same as they would on Attack, the CM will get further forward so he shouldn't get isolated   

hace 5 horas, Johnny Ace dijo:

IF on Support will get further forward the same as they would on Attack

Then what is the difference between both duties? :confused:

1 hour ago, bosque said:

Then what is the difference between both duties? :confused:

Player mentality. One more likely to Support, one more likely to Attack