When/how to tweak tactics? Which are good variations around a core tactic?

Earlier today I posted this thread: 

Discussing when to switch/tweak tactics.

herne79 writes in the thread, and I imagine he is absolutely right: "It’s still perfectly possible to play with a single core tactic over the course of a season - just be prepared to make small adjustments to it during matches as a game develops to become more passive or aggressive as needed.  Of course if you want to set up a second or third tactic that’s also perfectly viable".

My main question: When/how do I tweak my tactics? I prefer to change/tweak tactics as little as possible. Ideally I would never change anything tactically for the entire save, I find tactics boring. But I now realize that I do need to tweak to some extent.

Other more elaborate questions:

1. Assuming that it is viable to have the preset 4-2-3-1 Gegenpress as my core tactic, what tweaks should I use? In other words, what should be my tactics in the three slots?
2. When should I use the 2-3 tactic slots?

3. To what extent is it necessary to make adjustments according to the Data Hub? For example I have been considering to implement the "red" negatives from the "last 5 matches" analysis screen in case I have two disappointing results in a row, for as long as those tweak suggestions remain on that screen.

Feel free to give other relevant feedback as well.

The three tactic slots almost always be used for adjusting how attacking / defensive you are IMO.

For example my standard tactic could be a positive 4231 with blank pressing instructions, a poacher, one attacking fullback, and one defensive + one supporting DM. then I'd have an attacking tactic, with two supporting DMs, both attacking fullbacks, and higher pressing. Then finally I'd have a cautious / defensive tactic, with both defensive fullbacks / both defensive DM's. I'd also switch the poacher to a supporting target man or pressing forward, so that he doesn't stay forward starved of service, and provides passing options to let the team keep hold of the ball. I'd also drop the defensive lines deeper.

Which tactic you choose should depend on many things : home/away, form, position in table, reputation, risk you're willing to take for 3 points etc.. and you also should be willing to switch between tactics during a match. For example, 1-0 up in the 75th against a better team, and I almost always switch to cautious. 1-0 down in the 80th and i almost always switch to attacking as there's nothing to lose.

In terms of tactical tweaks.. 90% of the time you just need to keep it simple. I tend to look for any weak players in their line-up. For example if they're playing an 18yr league 1 standard rb in the Prem league, I'm gonna focus play down the left. Maybe swap my wingers over if my right winger is much better. Or if, if at half time, their CAM is controlling the game, I'd add tighter marking , closing down and hard tacking, to reduce his influence. If needed, you can also remove all other opposition instructions except for the CAM, to increase the attention on him. Maybe also if you're playing a dlp at DM, you can sub him out for a better defensively anchor man, and use defend narrower as a TI.

Also , Im convinced that team talks , player selection, and man management play a more important role than tactics. My best turnarounds (whether it be a comeback in a game, or a turnaround of form across multiple games) have always come after leaving the tactics as they are, and paying more attention to press conferences and how I chat with players.

I've seen posts on these forums and YouTube videos of people reading through tonnes of data, and adjusting a load of roles and TI's, but I'm fairly sure they're a load of rubbish. I find that the more complex things people do on FM the more likely it doesn't really make any sense.  People tend to believe it because it sounds clever though.

Edited by Jack722

14 hours ago, danej said:

My main question: When/how do I tweak my tactics? I prefer to change/tweak tactics as little as possible. Ideally I would never change anything tactically for the entire save, I find tactics boring. But I now realize that I do need to tweak to some extent.

As herne79 wrote, you can play it whatever way is more fun for you.  I like to create alternate tactics because that's fun for me but if it's boring for you, I'd say to figure out which changes you are likely to make for various game situations -- for example, what changes you'd make if up 1 goal at 82 minutes -- and create 1-2 training tactics to familiarize your team with those potential changes.

12 hours ago, Jack722 said:

I've seen posts on these forums and YouTube videos of people reading through tonnes of data, and adjusting a load of roles and TI's, but I'm fairly sure they're a load of rubbish. I find that the more complex things people do on FM the more likely it's just a load of rubbish.  People tend to believe it because it sounds clever though.

Seems like you tend to disbelieve it because it sounds clever.  Have you run experiments to test whether those changes make any difference?  My speculation is that a few make a good bit of difference, more make a slight difference, and others are poorly chosen, but I'm also just guessing. 

For those interested, I think that the data which is most helpful is longer run data which shows where and how you concede and score goals and then you can make informed decisions to amend your tactic.  So if you are 15 games into the season, and your stats show that you are conceding a lot of Xg and goals, you could, if you want to, look at the data of where and how you concede and make some changes. 

More game specific, if you tend to concede crossing goals, and your next opponent has really good, crossing wingbacks, who have a lot of assists, and a tall, great heading striker, you might want to consider making a change or two...or not.

But regardless, at the end of the day, it comes down to how the game is fun for each player.  I'll go through runs where I just want to get through the season and make very few changes, and other runs where I make changes, especially for big matches.

Edited by glengarry224