Champions League Group Stage - blatant offside not given (video)

• RoryWatt changed the title to Champions League Group Stage - blatant offside not given (video)
20 hours ago, FrazT said:

The only explanation that I can see might be that at the header, there could have been a double impact- it is difficult to be sure from so far away.  If there is any doubt, report it in the Bugs forum

I would have done, but the match engine category is now closed. Even if the ball deflected off the defenders head or body, wouldn't it still be given as offside? I thought unintended deflections were not considered on offsides?

Having watched the clip I assume it has been allowed because after Pefok headers the ball forward into the penalty area the next touch is by the goalkeeper who plays the ball into the attacker (Nsamé) who scores.

Lets break it down...

1. Pefok heads the ball forward and Nsamé is in an offside position but he hasn't yet impacted play.

2. The goalkeeper then comes out and deliberately plays the ball. The ball is clearly going wide of the goal so the principle of 'save' doesn't apply (in law, a 'save' is when a player stops, or attempts to stop, a ball which is going into or very close to the goal with any part of the body except the hands/arm unless it is the goalkeeper within their own penalty area) so this counts as being deliberately played by a defending team player.

3. At the point the goalkeeper plays the ball, Nsamé is not interfering with play because the goalkeeper had options and wasn't under immediate pressure (typically to be interfering you look at the attacking player being within 2 years of the player and he's further away here).

4. We are now into a second phase of play because the ball is deliberately played by the goalkeeper

5. You cannot be offside if you receive the ball directly from a defending player unless it was from a save (which we have established doesn't apply here as the ball is clearly going wide of goal) so Nsamé is onside.

Controversial goal but actually, correctly in law!